Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,603 members, 7,812,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer (10496 Views)

Coding: Why You Need To Be A Computer Programmer / Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering / Difference Between A Programmer And A Web Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by AZeD1(m): 7:57pm On Feb 21, 2013
Game programming has to do more with physics and the constraints are much more than most other kinds of programming.

Javanian are you under 20?(i'm asking as regards your signature)
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Javanian: 8:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
A-ZeD:
Game programming has to do more with physics and the constraints are much more than most other kinds of programming.

Javanian are you under 20?(i'm asking as regards your signature)

still < 18 cool
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Lincolnburrows(m): 8:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
Pls all these computer gurus down here, I want y'all to send your c.v's to my inbox. I want to start a software company and I need people like you. I promise a very rewarding salary package.
Thanks
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by AZeD1(m): 8:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
Javanian...
Cool. Are you schooling, if yes which school...

#No mind my questions oh.. You could pm if you don't to answer in public.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 21, 2013
I wanna study programming when I retire. I have bought so many books on programming but never had time to open one.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by AZeD1(m): 8:25pm On Feb 21, 2013
Billyonaire: I wanna study programming when I retire. I have bought so many books on programming but never had time to open one.
What do you do now?
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by DualCore1: 9:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
Its all programming.

As a programmer you choose what your brain can carry... desktop applications, games or database applications.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by DualCore1: 9:17pm On Feb 21, 2013
Billyonaire: I wanna study programming when I retire. I have bought so many books on programming but never had time to open one.
It takes your youth to learn and your old age to perfect. So trying to learn it at old age may not work.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by saxking(m): 9:38pm On Feb 21, 2013
Javanian:

i beg to disagree...Programming is not programming

@o.p. Game Programming aint childs play...
according to your signature, how old are you now?
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 21, 2013
well, game programming is way too advanced and very few dabble into it cos it has some strict requirements
maths, extreme logical reasoning and you just have to be very intelligent to create anything new and useful.

the learning curve is tougher but once you are able to get a hang of it, then it can seem like just normal programming
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 21, 2013
webdezzi: well, game programming is way too advanced and very few dabble into it cos it has some strict requirements
maths, extreme logical reasoning and you just have to be very intelligent to create anything new and useful.

the learning curve is tougher but once you are able to get a hang of it, then it can seem like just normal programming

It also doesn't pay well, because business application is limited.
Nowadays especially everything seems to be focused on "free games" even the big companies.

Only God knows how much the programmers got paid if an MMO ends up being "free to play". tongue
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 10:43pm On Feb 21, 2013
2buff:

It also doesn't pay well, because business application is limited.
Nowadays especially everything seems to be focused on "free games" even the big companies.

Only God knows how much the programmers got paid if an MMO ends up being "free to play". tongue
dude, can you stop consoling yourself? this post is pitiful. if you are not a game developer then you ain't. it probably has more to do with your inability to grasp its concepts than its paycheck.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 10:49pm On Feb 21, 2013
lordZOUGA:
dude, can you stop consoling yourself? this post is pitiful. if you are not a game developer then you ain't. it probably has more to do with your inability to grasp its concepts than its paycheck.

Your point please?

How am I consoling myself?
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by ghostofsparta(m): 11:16pm On Feb 21, 2013
Javanian:

Programming is NOT programming. Most of the 'programmers' i see here only know how to create database applications...

I'm not the type that knows how to argue much...Talk is cheap!..., take a crash course on game programming, graph theories, game trees, or try implementing something as simple as minimax algorithm with Alpha-beta prunning for a simple game like X and O's or even chess. Even try laying your hands on something like dijkstra's algorithm. Try creating an A.I. For any of these games, only then would you understand what i mean...Talk more of creating a more complex games like the Pro Evolution soccer you see. This isn't PHP my brother, this is basically C++ and less of JAVA.

I'm quite surprised to know most of you think the only formidable challenge to programming is game programming. I wonder where you all place OSdevolopment from scratch to finish. Please provide answers to my question here
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Arcard(m): 11:20pm On Feb 21, 2013
U guys shld do fast and release strategy game for my mobile abeg e.g art of war 3 naija election
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 11:30pm On Feb 21, 2013
Arcard: U guys shld do fast and release strategy game for my mobile abeg e.g art of war 3 naija election

You go buy am when e finish? or you go tief am? tongue
Talk true cheesy
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 11:31pm On Feb 21, 2013
@2buff, just pointing out that you should stop posting wrong information. game developers do make alot of money
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
@TROLLzouga, you also forgot this undecided

2buff: I do both.
Game development is a multi-discipline art.

A good game is never just about coding, like most apps.
The trademark of a good game developer is one who is in tune with both the left and right side of his/her brain.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by ghostofsparta(m): 11:39pm On Feb 21, 2013
Javanian:

Programming is NOT programming. Most of the 'programmers' i see here only know how to create database applications...

I'm not the type that knows how to argue much...Talk is cheap!..., take a crash course on game programming, graph theories, game trees, or try implementing something as simple as minimax algorithm with Alpha-beta prunning for a simple game like X and O's or even chess. Even try laying your hands on something like dijkstra's algorithm. Try creating an A.I. For any of these games, only then would you understand what i mean...Talk more of creating a more complex games like the Pro Evolution soccer you see. This isn't PHP my brother, this is basically C++ and less of JAVA.

I have a question for you, what was used in developing Microsoft Windows' or MacOS'. I have been keening to know.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 11:40pm On Feb 21, 2013
ghostofsparta:

I have a question for you, what was used in developing Microsoft Windows'

C++
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by vandarsar(m): 11:56pm On Feb 21, 2013
By definition both are an act of writing computer programs... The rest is bragging! Lol

Javanian:

Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by ghostofsparta(m): 11:57pm On Feb 21, 2013
2buff:

C++

Wrong. C++ is an improvised ofshoot of C by microsoft for aide Window-centric codings, While C# was created to bear more sophistication and deliberately hardened to distinguish core programmers from hardcore programmers in terms of it leaening curve. Please let the expert answer my question. Thanks.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by lordZOUGA(m): 11:59pm On Feb 21, 2013
ghostofsparta:

Wrong. C++ is an improvised ofshoot of C by microsoft for aide Window-centric codings, While C# was created to bear more sophistication and deliberately hardened to distinguish core programmers from hardcore programmers in terms of it leaening curve. Please let the expert answer my question. Thanks.
please shut up
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Afam4eva(m): 12:01am On Feb 22, 2013
vandarsar: By definition both are an act of writing computer programs... The rest is bragging! Lol

No be small bragging oo
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 12:01am On Feb 22, 2013
ghostofsparta:

As in, I'm sure knowing this fact from Google has added value to your life and has put food on your table. tongue
I'm going to guess in your head you just heard imaginary people clapping for you after typing all that jazz. cheesy

This is why I hate having any form of discourse with your ilk.
The world cares not about just having information. It only cares for how you USE information, to make money. undecided
Wetin concern me with what they used to build windows when I'm too busy building my own things?
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 12:16am On Feb 22, 2013
lordZOUGA: @2buff, just pointing out that you should stop posting wrong information. game developers do make alot of money

Bro, I know. But "a lot of money" is in the eye of the beholder. tongue
And to me, that translates to 6 digits USD.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by ghostofsparta(m): 1:17am On Feb 22, 2013
2buff:

As in, I'm sure knowing this fact from Google has added value to your life and has put food on your table. tongue
I'm going to guess in your head you just heard imaginary people clapping for you after typing all that jazz. cheesy

This is why I hate having any form of discourse with your ilk.
The world cares not about just having information. It only cares for how you USE information, to make money. undecided
Wetin concern me with what they used to build windows when I'm too busy building my own things?

I never got that fact informed inquiry from Google, and why are you belligerent. You stand to be corrected, there are two school of thought regarding the harnessed usage of information. Those who believe information should be free and unrestricted and those who believe information should be commercialized. Why I am asking what was used in building Windows isn't different from what I'm asking here: https://www.nairaland.com/1203855/developing-operating-system-what-prerequisites#14435246 , and would by chance be that whatever the things you are busy building happen to be an OS? We can relate without insults. Tnx
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Nobody: 1:40am On Feb 22, 2013
ghostofsparta:

I never got that fact informed inquiry from Google, and why are you belligerent. You stand to be corrected, there are two school of thought regarding the harnessed usage of information. Those who believe information should be free and unrestricted and those who believe information should be commercialized. Why I am asking what was used in building Windows isn't different from what I'm asking here: https://www.nairaland.com/1203855/developing-operating-system-what-prerequisites#14435246 , and would by chance be that whatever the things you are busy building happen to be an OS? We can relate without insults. Tnx

What the heck is your problem dis pikin? Who send all dis long tori you dey put for here?
Na me start insult?

Mehn aabeg just go code....or whatever it is you do aat night. undecided
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Urine: 1:53am On Feb 22, 2013
Lmao @ this thread. Both involves programming but when it comes to difference games development goes further by incorporating stuffs like graphics and AI.That's the best answer my coconut head can give.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by ghostofsparta(m): 2:02am On Feb 22, 2013
2buff:

What the heck is your problem dis pikin? Who send all dis long tori you dey put for here?
Na me start insult?

Mehn aabeg just go code....or whatever it is you do aat night. undecided

For your eyes you don shine abi, well whatever makes you happy sha. I never even start coding FYI! And did you started without Googling anything or do you just hate Google?
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by crossfire(m): 7:01am On Feb 22, 2013
Game programming is simply out of this world, look at the minimax algol. Try developing a simple chess program. Or simply look at the source of "stockfish". (Stockfish is an open source chess program).I've looked at an early version of LINUX called MINIX ( i'm talking of hundreds of thousands of lines of code) and my little lazy brain could wrap around some of the concepts and data structures (I'm a software developer, and a chess enthusiast), but anytime i look at the internals of "stockfish" i feel like a child playing with sand. It looks like this program was written by aliens shocked. There is another one called "Robbolito" that's simply crazy inside and except for a few "anonymous" comments on one russian blog nobody really knows who wrote this program .
Now stockfish is a console app that runs through an already developed UI like "arena" so it doesn't touch on graphics. You need an advanced level understanding of maths and physics before you can develop game apps that manipulate the graphics card masterly like as soccer or even car racing games do.
Desktop apps are developed with C++, C# java, python, but games are predominantly created with c. Now unrestricted c is simply mind bending and very unforgiving. I always tell my students that c is the latin of programming languages grin
Lets not over flog this : game programming != computer programming.
Re: Difference Between Game Developer & Computer Programmer by Bossman(m): 9:16am On Feb 22, 2013
NO! There is no difference between a game programmer and a computer programmer. A game programmer (no matter how complex it is), is still a computer programmer, period!

It amazes me why we like to argue over unnecessary things in these forums.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free PHP Video Tutorial Wanted / Simple Programming Projects For Beginners / 3D Animation Programming Join The Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.