Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,557 members, 7,958,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:01 PM

Dad Gets Plus 20 Years In Prison In Tots Killing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dad Gets Plus 20 Years In Prison In Tots Killing (775 Views)

See What A Nigerian Prison In Kaduna Looks Like (photos) / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / So Skinny! See What Obasanjo Looks Like After Being Released From Prison In 1998 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dad Gets Plus 20 Years In Prison In Tots Killing by SeanT21(f): 5:32pm On Mar 15, 2008
PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A man who killed his 17-month-old daughter in a rage over a broken Xbox was sentenced to more than two decades in prison.

Prosecutors said Tyrone Spellman, 27, killed Alayiah Turman in September 2006 with at least five blows to the head when she pulled down his Xbox console. The force of the blows cracked the toddler's skull several times.

A jury convicted Spellman of third-degree murder and child endangerment in January. He was sentenced Thursday to the maximum 22½ to 45 years in prison.

"I've been doing this 13 years, and this is one of the few cases that's ever left me at a loss for words," prosecutor James Berardinelli said. "There's never a good reason for this (murder), but this is just the pettiest of reasons."

Spellman expressed remorse for the girl's death at the hearing, but defense lawyer Bobby Hoof said afterward he would consider appealing the conviction.

Police believe Alayiah's pregnant mother, Mia Turman, was napping when the toddler was killed.

Spellman confessed to police the next day, but Hoof argued that his client's statement was coerced and that Spellman was trying to protect Mia Turman.

The city took custody of the couple's second daughter, born after Alayiah's death

America is not soo sweet yall!!
Re: Dad Gets Plus 20 Years In Prison In Tots Killing by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 15, 2008
Killed his daughter over a broken Xbox? sorry o, most men are idiots, but gosh, is there no limit? abeg o, before i comment more on this (cause i got a lot to say) post the source o
Re: Dad Gets Plus 20 Years In Prison In Tots Killing by SeanT21(f): 10:14pm On Mar 17, 2008
I got it from CNN.com/crime. It might not be still on it but search google also.
Re: Dad Gets Plus 20 Years In Prison In Tots Killing by lewa(m): 10:48pm On Mar 17, 2008
Wrong thread, attention Administrator

(1) (Reply)

The Spaces Between Our Lives / Obj's Birthday: Where Are The Adverts / When Will Obj Be Probed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.