Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google (9895 Views)

CheckOut The World's Slimmest Laptop By HP / Used HP Pavilion 14-inch Touch Screen Laptop (14-v062us) / Repair Your Laptop By Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Fatdon(m): 2:28am On Feb 23, 2013
[img]http://www.nation.com.pk/print_images/480/2013-02-23/google-unveils-touchscreen-laptop-1361566699-8860.jpg[/img]

The Chromebook Pixel runs Google's Chrome operating system and has been "largely built" by the web giant.

The laptop has Intel's Ivy Bridge processors, fast 4G LTE connectivity and a high-resolution screen aimed at challenging Apple's Retina Display.

Analysts say the move represents a fresh bid to build market share for Chromebooks against machines running Microsoft and Apple operating systems.

Unlike PCs that use installed software such as Microsoft Word, Chrome OS computers run their applications through the firm's web browser and store their files in the cloud.

The internet giant told the BBC the device was "largely built by Google, with components that are manufactured globally".

The laptop's 12.85in (32.64cm) display's resolution is similar to the so-called Retina Display of Apple's MacBook range, aimed to have pixel density high enough for the human eye not to notice pixelation when looking at the screen at a typical viewing distance.

"This Chromebook has the highest pixel density (239 pixels per inch) of any laptop screen on the market today," said the company.

"Packed with 4.3 million pixels, the display offers sharp text, vivid colours and extra-wide viewing angles.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

The challenge for the Chromebook is that computing is shifting towards tablets”

Geoff Blaber CCS Insight

"With a screen this rich and engaging, you want to reach out and touch it — so we added touch for a more immersive experience."
Embracing the cloud

The first Chrome-powered laptop, built by Samsung, went on sale in June 2011. Chrome laptops that followed were made by Acer, Lenovo and HP.

But so far, Chromebooks have had difficulties challenging Windows-powered computers, said CCS Insight analyst Geoff Blaber.

"Chromebooks have struggled for relevance to date, stuck between comparably-priced but entertainment-centric tablets - many of which run Android - and more functional PCs," he said.

"[The new computer] won't transform its prospects but Google will hope it serves as a flagship device that has a halo effect for the broader portfolio."

Windows 8, Microsoft's latest operating system launched last year, has touchscreen capabilities.

Mr Blaber said: "Touch is now pervasive across every computing category from phones to high-end PCs.

"The challenge for the Chromebook is that computing is shifting towards tablets whilst most consumers lives are not yet fully embracing the cloud versus local storage."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21534382

1 Like

Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by francis247(m): 3:41am On Feb 23, 2013
Fatdon: Unlike PCs that use
installed software such as Microsoft Word, Chrome OS computers run their
applications through the firm’s web
browser and store their files in the
cloud.
Better. When is it hitting the shelves/how much? And hope one can type and save files without internet access?
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by abohrandy: 7:02am On Feb 23, 2013
Let's b sincere!! Dis laptop is not meant to b used in 9ja unless u r sure of ur 24hrs internet access!!

5 Likes

Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by momodub: 3:00pm On Feb 23, 2013
winknice one i want one for effizzy cheesy
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by outrage: 3:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
ugly!!! PCs with touch screen, its not so much of a good idea.
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Regiblinkz(m): 3:06pm On Feb 23, 2013
Another touch device again
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by mrofficial(m): 3:10pm On Feb 23, 2013
Na to run for cover remain. This technology here and there.
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Afam4eva(m): 3:10pm On Feb 23, 2013
Na everything google go do?

1 Like

Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by azukaazuka1: 3:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
Owners of this new Devices uses Z global sim Card
You can browse with the sim.I heard you Screaming.
You too can have the sim
Its right here in Nigeria for Nairalanders
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by tpia5: 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2013
hmm, interesting.
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by ajos(m): 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2013
how much does it cost...?anybody wit an idea
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by 80million1: 3:17pm On Feb 23, 2013
okay, i don see am, so wetin go happen?
*sent from my NOKIA 3310*

1 Like

Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ok naaaaaaaaaaaah8-)
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by sino(m): 3:21pm On Feb 23, 2013
I don't get this, no local storage at all or is it option of backup in cloud?
well sha, d tin must get usb or other fancy ports to plug gadgets na.
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by superbloke(m): 3:23pm On Feb 23, 2013
francis247: Better. When is it hitting the shelves/how much? And hope one can type and save files without internet access?
The part you quoted points to the fact that you'll need internet access to run applications and save files.
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by texazzpete(m): 3:24pm On Feb 23, 2013
At around $1300 for what is a glorified internet browser, Google better be expecting this thing to fail hard at retail.
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Revolva(m): 3:27pm On Feb 23, 2013
Nothing wey google no go do...na dem sabi ..who cares about a touch screen laptop
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Nobody: 3:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
I'll like to see how Google will pull this off.

Chromebooks? Hmm
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by gerrardomendes(m): 3:35pm On Feb 23, 2013
my gf must not hear dis o

1 Like

Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by RedLight1: 3:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
definitely not a kinda pc for Nigerians or africans with bandwidth problem
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 23, 2013
touch screen laptops are stressful, ill have to be cleaning it every 2 seconds because of finger prints
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by davida222(m): 3:39pm On Feb 23, 2013
dats 1900dols

1 Like

Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by bigfat05: 4:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
since we have [size=15pt]ipad[/size] ,[size=15pt]ipod [/size]then this has to be called [size=15pt]I-top[/size] instead of [size=15pt]laptop[/size] OR WHAT do you think ?

2 Likes

Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by ozodimgba(m): 4:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
bigfat05: since we have [size=15pt]ipad[/size] ,[size=15pt]ipod [/size]then this has to be called [size=15pt]I-top[/size] instead of [size=15pt]laptop[/size] OR WHAT do you think ?
undecided undecided
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by ozodimgba(m): 4:33pm On Feb 23, 2013
bigfat05: since we have [size=15pt]ipad[/size] ,[size=15pt]ipod [/size]then this has to be called [size=15pt]I-top[/size] instead of [size=15pt]laptop[/size] OR WHAT do you think ?
undecided
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by hollandis(f): 4:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
it doesnt make sense .It already has a physical keyboard .Doesnt make sense
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by MEILYN(m): 4:51pm On Feb 23, 2013
hmmmm......dis guys re bad
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by mikron(m): 5:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
i hope e no cost pass apple lappies? nice piece. but oyinbo no go kill us o. new innovations everyday
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Michky: 5:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
hollandis: it doesnt make sense .It already has a physical keyboard .Doesnt make sense
Unless the screen is going to be detachable from the keyboard anytime i want to. Its not everytime that i'll want to sit up to use the laptop. Hence, it'll be an I-pad and laptop combined.
Re: Chromebook Pixel Touch-Screen Laptop By Google by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 23, 2013
This is Mac Pro technology. . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rate The Fastest And Most Reliable ISPs In Nigeria / How To Shut Down A Computer Forever! / Check Your India Web Proxy Server 3.2 Speed Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.