Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith (865 Views)

You Still Doubt The Existance Of Jesus? / Conversation Between An Atheist Professor And His Student / Scientific Rationalism, Reason And Faith: Which Produces Systematic Knowledge? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by sparko1(m): 8:18pm On Feb 23, 2013
The following discussion erupt between an Atheist Professor and his student.
Professor : You are a Christian, aren’t you, son ?
Student : Yes, sir.
Professor: So, you believe in GOD?
Student : Absolutely, sir.
Professor : Is GOD good ?
Student : Sure.
Professor: Is GOD all powerful ?
Student : Yes.
Professor: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to GOD to heal him. Most of us wouldattempt to help others who are ill.But GOD didn’t. How is this GOD good then? Hmm?
(Student was silent.)
Professor: You can’t answer, can you ? Let’s start again, young fella. Is GOD good?
Professor: Is satan good ?
Student : No.
Professor: Where does satan comefrom ?
Student : From … GOD …
Professor: That’s right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?
Professor: Evil is everywhere, isn’tit ? And GOD did make everything.Correct?
Professor: So who created evil ?
(Student did not answer.)
Professor: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don’t they?
Student : Yes, sir.
Professor: So, who created them ?
(Student had no answer.)
Professor: Science says you have 5 Senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tellme, son, have you ever seen GOD?
Student : No, sir.
Professor: Tell us if you have everheard your GOD?
Student : No , sir.
Professor: Have you ever felt yourGOD, tasted your GOD, smelt yourGOD? Have you ever had any sensory perception of GOD for that matter?
Student : No, sir. I’m afraid I haven’t.
Professor: Yet you still believe in Him?
Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, DemonstrableProtocol, Science says your GOD doesn’t exist. What do you say to that, son?
Student : Nothing. I only have my faith.
Professor: Yes, faith. And that is the problem Science has.
Student : Professor, is there such a thing as heat?
Professor: Yes.
Student : And is there such a thingas cold?
Professor: Yes.
Student : No, sir. There isn’t.
(The lecture theater became very quiet with this turn of events.)
Student : Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don’t haveanything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can’t go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Coldis not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.
(There was pin-drop silence in thelecture theater.)
Student : What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing asdarkness?
Professor: Yes. What is night if there isn’t darkness?
Student : You’re wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light,normal light, bright light, flashinglight. But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and its called darkness, isn’t it? In reality, darkness isn’t. If it is, wellyou would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn’t you?
Professor: So what is the point you are making, young man ?
Student : Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.
Professor: Flawed ? Can you explain how?
Student : Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good GOD and a bad GOD.You are viewing the concept of GOD as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can’t even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the oppositeof life is to be ignorant of the factthat death cannot exist as a substantive thing.
Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?
Professor: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.
Student : Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?
(The Professor shook his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument was going.)
Student : Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor. Are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher?
(The class was in uproar.)
Student : Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor’s brain?
(The class broke out into laughter.)
Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?
(The room was silent. The Professor stared at the student, his face unfathomable.)
Professor: I guess you’ll have to take them on faith, son.
Student : That is it sir … Exactly ! The link between man & GOD is FAITH. That is all that keeps things alive and moving.
P.S.
I believe you have enjoyed the conversation. And if so, you’ll probably want your friends / colleagues to enjoy the same, won’t you?
Forward this to increase their knowledge … or FAITH.
By the way, that student was EINSTEIN.
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by tosinisrael5678(m): 8:42pm On Feb 23, 2013
oh ma gosh...ntin else 2 say dan God is gr8
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by sparko1(m): 11:03pm On Feb 23, 2013
omonna78: BS! Einstein wasn't a Christian. That is common knowledge.
And you know this how?
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by ooman4: 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
sparko1: And you know this how?

einstein wasnt a xtian, he never believed in a personal God, so drop your myths.
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by Areaboy2(m): 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
@topic: There is nothing more disappointing than religionists perpetrating lies just to assure themselves they are in the right. This goes down with the same foolish stories I read about "I picked up a man and he said god instructed the angels to blow their trumpet and Jesus fell on his feet to plead for us..." (u get the gist). Einstein was an average kid going through school and certainly didn't have any such conversation with anyone, much more a professor.

Some how you guys feel the need to whack in a reputable name into your stories and expect to get absolute acceptance without scrutiny. I've said it so many times on this forum and I'll say it again. This sort of careful selective disinformation and story fabrications for selfish purposes is very bad for a society like Nigeria. We don't need to look far into the past to see what it has done to others.

There's a reason we all have a brain, and it certainly isn't to swallow everything that comes our way
Lets Pause and ponder sometimes undecided

sparko1: And you know this how?

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. "(Albert Einstein, 1954)

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings." (Albert Einstein)

"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man." (Albert Einstein)

The man pretty much said it himself undecided

the bolded is my favourite
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by Areaboy2(m): 11:46pm On Feb 23, 2013
lol..@omonna... that is some strong referencing right there hahaha grin

I guess that puts this case to bed
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by sparko1(m): 11:55pm On Feb 23, 2013
omonna78:

This is why one should do his or her research before claiming nonsense.

When an immigrant from Italy to America wrote a letter to Einstein, containing, amongst other things, questions about his religion, this was Einstein's reply:

I get hundreds and hundreds of letters but seldom one so interesting as yours. I believe that your opinions about our society are quite reasonable. It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

Book Title: Albert Einstein, THE HUMAN SIDE. NEW GLIMPSES FROM HIS ARCHIVES
By: Helen Dukes & Banesh Hoffman
Copyright: The Estate of Albert Einstein
ISBN-10: 0691023689

The excerpt I quoted is available at: Source.

maybe you need to read the post again. Were in the post do you see christainity being mentioned and stressed as a bases for faith? And beside you have note answered the question, how do you know it wasn't him. Oh i forgot he never went to school right or better still he was never taught by a prof.
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by sparko1(m): 12:03am On Feb 24, 2013
The only prove that can counter this post is a person who actually live and schooled with him. Many people i know have many believe when in school about God and many other religious related issues, so give me prove and maybe we could talk.
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by cplusplusidiot: 12:41am On Feb 24, 2013
^
Seriously, after you have been given proof, from Einstein's own writing. This is not hearsay; I looked at the source and it is copyrighted by the Estate of Einstein. (I checked it on Amazon) That was part of Einstein's writing.

By the way, where is your own proof na? Who gave you that nonsense that you wrote? Where did you get it from? Did it come out of thin air?
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by sparko1(m): 12:56am On Feb 24, 2013
cplusplusidiot: ^
Seriously, after you have been given proof, from Einstein's own writing. This is not hearsay; I looked at the source and it is copyrighted by the Estate of Einstein. (I checked it on Amazon) That was part of Einstein's writing.

By the way, where is your own proof na? Who gave you that nonsense that you wrote? Where did you get it from? Did it come out of thin air?
hey man don't worry hopefully i will get what i want.
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by cplusplusidiot: 12:59am On Feb 24, 2013
^
Okay. I give up.
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by Heatblast(m): 2:38am On Feb 24, 2013
omonna78:

This is why one should do his or her research before claiming nonsense.

When an immigrant from Italy to America wrote a letter to Einstein, containing, amongst other things, questions about his religion, this was Einstein's reply:

I get hundreds and hundreds of letters but seldom one so interesting as yours. I believe that your opinions about our society are quite reasonable. It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

Book Title: Albert Einstein, THE HUMAN SIDE. NEW GLIMPSES FROM HIS ARCHIVES
By: Helen Dukes & Banesh Hoffman
Copyright: The Estate of Albert Einstein
ISBN-10: 0691023689

The excerpt I quoted is available at: Source.

Dude.. Why did you even bother?.. As you can see he perfers to wallow in his delusions sad

sparko1: The only prove that can counter this post is a person who actually live and schooled with him. Many people i know have many believe when in school about God and many other religious related issues, so give me prove and maybe we could talk.
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by tosinisrael5678(m): 6:29pm On Feb 25, 2013
Re: An Atheist Professor & His Student Discussion On The Existance Of God And Faith by dekung(m): 11:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
Another deluded bible thumping mo.ron has been unleashed on nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Arrested Over Robbery Attack At MMIA Dedicated 2 Cars On Sunday / The Proposed New Rccg Auditorium; Another Rebutal / Is It Right For Men Of God To Use Armed Guards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.