Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,258 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

18 Basic Dinning Etiquette - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette (16275 Views)

When Last Did You Eat On Your Dinning Table? / Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People / ~Proper Etiquette Dinning Table (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by Agrika: 7:46pm On Feb 24, 2013
You can observe these outside maybe in public but trusting my naija peeps dem go say you dey "form".....as for me food tastes better when i use my hand...when eating at home of course.

1 Like

Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by omiobo: 7:52pm On Feb 24, 2013
How person go belle full with these,
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by Caprison(m): 8:02pm On Feb 24, 2013
c me c wahala ooo....u sure d food inside ma stomach no go follow d plates comot :-Xc ....
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 24, 2013
Hell no what sought of Robotic manners is that

In Naija this is unethical we enjoy d simple word 'Freedom' so feel free but avoid some stupid habits.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by nnenna311: 8:26pm On Feb 24, 2013
Don't know if it happens to others too, never satisfied eating garri with fork and knife.so what do I do? >:y
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by godman01(m): 8:43pm On Feb 24, 2013
And you will now spend 2hours just eating food abi. Time is your life o.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by SugaryBelle(f): 8:49pm On Feb 24, 2013
Op you say we shouldnt use toothpick at the table,so where should we pick our teeth? inside toilet abi,abeg i wan know
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by Sike(m): 8:55pm On Feb 24, 2013
esperiense: This one na wahala na. Abeg we get our own dinning etiquette for africa. (1) Wash your hand before and after eating...(2)....
Lobatan!
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by garri4all: 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2013
in some parts of Europe, the fork is held with the right hand and the knife left.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by wisestman(m): 9:08pm On Feb 24, 2013
how many ppl still eat at dinning table these days with TV in the living room grin
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by danniekute(m): 9:16pm On Feb 24, 2013
esperiense: This one na wahala na. Abeg we get our own dinning etiquette for africa. (1) Wash your hand before and after eating...(2)....
true tok bro...
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by uzoo: 9:22pm On Feb 24, 2013
Nice one @ OP

More

19. If you unexpetedly burp while eating, quickly say '' Pardon'' with your hands in a fist and close to your mouth. (it shows you have manners)

20. If you have to talk while eating or after a meal and still sitting , compliment your chef/hostess/cook/ about any part of the dish you like.(meat,sauce,drinks, etc)

21. Do not talk on your cell phone/punch your touch screen tablet while dinning with people on the table .(its very very very Rude)

22. If you happen to have an emergency that demands that you get up from the dinning table ( running to the rest room,Choking, or to the kitchen sink etc) kindly ask to be excused

23. if you happen to be the first to finish your meal on the dinning table ,and cutleries have been placed side by side on your plate/dish ,remain in your seat and wait for the rest to finish before leaving the table.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by danniekute(m): 9:23pm On Feb 24, 2013
Gen. Orumov:

Pls don't crucify us that use fork to eat solid foods e.g eba, amala, tuwo, semo etc
I started using fork to eat these foods at a tender age because I have kept long nails since primary school. I use a fork in order not to ingest germs with my food. Using FORK TO EAT SOLID FOODS IS A WAY OF LIFE FOR ME AND NOT FORMING!
I beg...na who ask u for all these xplanations..mtcheeeeew.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by Reyspin(m): 9:25pm On Feb 24, 2013
sexy glow: Manners in every country are different; what is polite in China or Thailand may not be polite in the USA, Australia, UK, Germany, France, Canada, Nigeria or New Zealand. There are however basic rules you can follow and still fit in anywhere in the world.

Below are the basic rules you must follow while you dine:

1. Put the napkin on your lap.

2. Wait until everyone has been served to begin eating.

3. Everyone begins eating at the same time.

4. Do not make sounds when eating.

5. Sit up straight at the table and bring the food to your mouth: do not lean down to your plate.

6. Do not lean on your arm or elbow while eating (as well as before or after eating): you may rest only your hand and wrist on the edge of the table.

7. Try to be friendly with others. If you are a man, you should pay attention to ladies sitting closest to you. Pass the dishes to them, serve them, etc. Equal attention must be paid to children.

8. Hold the knife in your right hand, and fork – in your left hand.

9. Cut large pieces of meat, potatoes and vegetables into bite-size pieces; eat the pieces one at a time.

10. Each time you cut a small piece with the knife, put it into your mouth with a fork.

11. When eating spaghetti, hold your fork in the right hand. Wind the noodles up on your fork: the spaghetti on your fork should be eaten in one bite. It is very impolite to eat half your noodles and allow the other half to fall back on your plate.

12. While eating, remember not to talk with your mouth full of food.

13. When the hostess/host offers you food, give her/him a direct answer; if you refuse the first time, she might not ask you again.

14. At the table, ask others to pass you dishes that are out of your reach. Good _expression to know is: “Please pass me the___________.”

15. When you have finished your meal, place your knife and fork side by side on the plate.

16. Never use toothpick at the table: it is impolite.

17. Before you leave the table, refold your napkin and put it beside your plate.

18. When you are unsure what to do, observe the way your western friends eat in order to avoid mistakes.
Hunga no go gree me follow all this etiquette oooo.. buh Nice tips though
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by daylae(m): 9:38pm On Feb 24, 2013
[/quote]
SugaryBelle: Op you say we shouldnt use toothpick at the table,so where should we pick our teeth? inside toilet abi,abeg i wan know
abi o. . .Eat and go pick your teeth for your room. Have a friend that keeps his used toothpick like they're trophies.

@topic. . .those are gud tips. For me,it depends on the garthering and the atmosphere;otherwise,all these are just palace rules.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by victokafor(m): 9:44pm On Feb 24, 2013
these are 18 ways of wasting precious time before and during eating!!! my guy na africa we dey... when hunger hammer u, u will never remember all these 18 commandments of eating...chop anyhow all na belle e dey go abi dem dey collect oscar award for eating again....
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by esperiense(m): 9:46pm On Feb 24, 2013
Sorry, I don't get. Assuming I'm done eating,and 6 others are still eating.I should keep sitting upright like I have got schizo? Mindful of the fact dat I shudnt talk, make calls, toothpick etc? Or I can join others to make things faster?
uzoo: Nice one @ OP

19. If you unexpetedly burp while eating, quickly say '' Pardon'' with your hands in a fist and close to your mouth. (it shows you have manners)

20. If you have to talk while eating or after a meal and still sitting , compliment your chef/hostess/cook/ about any part of the dish you like.(meat,sauce,drinks, etc)

21. Do not talk on your cell phone/punch your touch screen tablet while dinning with people on the table .(its very very very Rude)

22. If you happen to have an emergency that demands that you get up from the dinning table ( running to the rest room,Choking, or to the kitchen sink etc) kindly ask to be excused

23. if you happen to be the first to finish your meal on the dinning table ,and cutleries have been placed side by side on your plate/dish ,remain in your seat and wait for the rest to finish before leaving the table.

1 Like

Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by victokafor(m): 9:48pm On Feb 24, 2013
before i go find napkin, knife,spoon, fork, dinning table, food never cold? shocked does this laws apply to Garri and groundnuts?
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by denzel2009: 9:50pm On Feb 24, 2013
24. Learn to fart silently.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by GreenBobo: 9:52pm On Feb 24, 2013
hunger neva catch u ..... Naa u go intentionally refuse to remember all dat story!!!!
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by LeoAdewale1(m): 9:59pm On Feb 24, 2013
[quote author=sexy glow]Manners in every country are different; what is polite in China or Thailand may not be polite in the USA, Australia, UK, Germany, France, Canada, Nigeria or New Zealand. There are however basic rules you can follow and still fit in anywhere in the world.

Below are the basic rules you must follow while you dine:

1. Put the napkin on your lap.

2. Wait until everyone has been served to begin eating.

3. Everyone begins eating at the same time.

4. Do not make sounds when eating.

5. Sit up straight at the table and bring the food to your mouth: do not lean down to your plate.

6. Do not lean on your arm or elbow while eating (as well as before or after eating): you may rest only your hand and wrist on the edge of the table.

7. Try to be friendly with others. If you are a man, you should pay attention to ladies sitting closest to you. Pass the dishes to them, serve them, etc. Equal attention must be paid to children.

8. Hold the knife in your right hand, and fork – in your left hand.

9. Cut large pieces of meat, potatoes and vegetables into bite-size pieces; eat the pieces one at a time.

10. Each time you cut a small piece with the knife, put it into your mouth with a fork.

11. When eating spaghetti, hold your fork in the right hand. Wind the noodles up on your fork: the spaghetti on your fork should be eaten in one bite. It is very impolite to eat half your noodles and allow the other half to fall back on your plate.

12. While eating, remember not to talk with your mouth full of food.

13. When the hostess/host offers you food, give her/him a direct answer; if you refuse the first time, she might not ask you again.

14. At the table, ask others to pass you dishes that are out of your reach. Good _expression to know is: “Please pass me the___________.”

15. When you have finished your meal, place your knife and fork side by side on the plate.

16. Never use toothpick at the table: it is impolite.

17. Before you leave the table, refold your napkin and put it beside your plate.

18. When you are unsure what to do, observe the way your western friends eat in order to avoid mistakes.
This is so good. I'm guilty of a few that i'm now gonna take care of.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by zenatta: 10:00pm On Feb 24, 2013
Gen. Orumov:

And what hand should left handed people use in holding their knives?
Was at a restaurant with my girlfriend on valentine's day and because she is left handed she couldn't use the knife in her right hand..

Depending on one's upbringing, most left-handers eat like right-handed people. A left-handed person who prefers or is more comfortable eating the 'other way' should not be put out by what people would say.
While growing up, at table, my pa ate with cutlery, my ma with her hands. Now I endure sniggers when I eat everything with cutlery but who cares.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by manny4life(m): 10:20pm On Feb 24, 2013
Great tips, but you won't apply all these not if you eat out regularly or have family dinners or gathering. It may say weird but I'm accustomed to all of those including extras.
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by victorian(f): 11:13pm On Feb 24, 2013
Op, ok.... Noted.. sad.... Some of the rules , I can abide to, but not all... Haba, person na robot?
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:10am On Feb 25, 2013
Very nice tips although most apply during formal dining occasions and not necessarily ur every day dining. That said, I am guilty of No. 16 in either scenario!!!
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by Rich4god(m): 12:23am On Feb 25, 2013
Must we always imitate the western culture.

*Abeg pass me the bowl of water let me wash my hand*
*Gulps a handful of spaghetti*
*Looks around... All eyes on me.*
*Dont care about westerners, so long my tummy will get filled*
*Gulps another handful of spaghetti, licks back of hand. tongue tongue tongue*
Good night.

2 Likes

Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by strangest(m): 12:43am On Feb 25, 2013
Slowly, we are losing our african culture.. I wonder how many western dudes will want to imitate an african eating etiquette... Inferiority complex!! Abeg gimme water and soap, make i wash hand...

1 Like

Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by emmaebi: 4:28am On Feb 25, 2013
Omo all dis airticket or wateva na 4 pple wey chop bellyful. Wen hunger hammer u, nobody wil tel u 2 use d naija style(hand)
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 25, 2013
By observing all this rules, you might not even eat to your satisfaction self angry cheesy
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 25, 2013
emmaebi: Omo all dis airticket or wateva na 4 pple wey chop bellyful. Wen hunger hammer u, nobody wil tel u 2 use d naija style(hand)
grin
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by tiwasiaife(m): 8:44am On Feb 25, 2013
nnenna311: Don't know if it happens to others too, never satisfied eating garri with fork and knife.so what do I do? >:y
lol cos dats nt our culture. The gods r angry
Re: 18 Basic Dinning Etiquette by oluchi557(f): 10:30am On Feb 25, 2013
Thumb up

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Street Foodz Naija: Peak Yoghurt Supports Young Foodpreneurs With Seed Money / How Do I Make My Meatpie Dough Crusty / Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.