Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,214 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 (5374 Views)

FG To Setup National Emergency Response System / Fayose Releases His Phone Number To Ekiti People / Senator Ndume Gave AGF's Number To Boko Haram – SSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by searchcorp(m): 2:10pm On Feb 24, 2013
Konnektions146: funny enough thats de extension number for the security in my work place.

ita not a bad idea though.....at least easily memorized and if it can be made uniforn so wen in distress,yur call hits the nearest police station, would be nice.

You see, its now making more sense..... can someone please pass this idea upward...

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 24, 2013
419, most suitable, most fitting. Exemplifies who the police really are, in our eyes and in the eyes of the world audience.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 24, 2013
lwkmd. 419? well it will be very easy to rem
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 24, 2013
I wonder who in the world does not kno that number, the old men and women n d villages kno it, tell them today that they can reach police, hospitals nd all emergency places wit 419 and they will neva forget it in their live! but what is 911 or 119 to the people in the village and the numerous illiterates in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by ignis: 3:53pm On Feb 24, 2013
lordZOUGA: well, its easy to accidentally type any 3 digit of the same number. thats why they changed just one number and left the others as it ia.
Correct
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by OmolodMilkman93(m): 4:22pm On Feb 24, 2013
operation Occupy 419
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by lacicrips(m): 4:41pm On Feb 24, 2013
KnowAll: 419 is d most important 3 digits number Nigeria as a nation has given d world. U can google it. So making it a distress call number in Naija makes a lotta sense.

You're very correct. And this will even go a long way in removing all the negative meanings associated with it. It will be a major rebranding boost. I like it, and I support it. How can we make this happen?
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by SphericalTruth(m): 5:00pm On Feb 24, 2013
ManTiger:
+1000000 Likes.
I don't know how some writer thinks, probably they fail to see beyond their nose.
419 is the word associated to internet scams, no thanks to some foolish Nigerians and some politicians.
This is a number known world-wide and how on earth will that meaning changes if the number is adopted for police emergency?
It sounds so foolish and the world will make further fun of us.
ManTiger, I am the author of that book - and I am not always a foolish person, once a while I do see beyond my nose. :-) But seriously, I want you to understand that creative writing is a matter of skills and competence. When I wrote that book (two years ago), copies of which I ensured was delivered by courier to both the Minister of Police Affairs and Mr. President, the idea was not to FIRMLY canvass that 419 should be made our police emergency number. I only wanted to have the idea of a 3-digit emergency number brought to the fore. At once, I was deliberately making fun of the Nigerian police system and labeling it a "419" system. You may not agree with my style, but I knew what I was doing . . . and whether they adopt the 419 number or not, the police system in Nigeria is an organised 419 system. You can take it, or leave it.

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by prettyboi1(m): 5:09pm On Feb 24, 2013
This is an absolutely brilliant idea. God Bless you OP.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by lumeneng22: 6:03pm On Feb 24, 2013
Na the change go make am work?
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by KayDee4: 6:35pm On Feb 24, 2013
Good idea !!!

Who da hell cares what anyone thinks of the number.

As long as it has the advantage of being easy to remember (which it definitely does) and you get an effective response when you call it, I'd say bring it on.

1 Like

Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by saved: 6:48pm On Feb 24, 2013
It will create confusion, because, Obtaining under false pretence is a section in our law that falls under number 419. It is highly felonious to be charged into the law court with this section. Nigerians are already confused with unpleasant government policies. If 419 is adopted, some people will term police authority to be fraudsters. You and i can attest to the bad image of the police, this may permanently soil every thing and the actiom will be counter productive in fighting crime. A simple no. as 111, 234 or 123 will be okay. Thanks.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Dibiachukwu: 7:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
We should not allow them make every Nigerian feel shame for the scam of a few dudes that learnt from them. It is would be right up in there face. Turning a negative into something positive.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by searchcorp(m): 7:06pm On Feb 24, 2013
cogitoErgo: I wonder who in the world does not kno that number, the old men and women n d villages kno it, tell them today that they can reach police, hospitals nd all emergency places wit 419 and they will neva forget it in their live! but what is 911 or 119 to the people in the village and the numerous illiterates in Nigeria?

another lovely point there. occupy 419!
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Abbott(m): 7:08pm On Feb 24, 2013
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by Oredys(m): 12:54am On Feb 25, 2013
martyns303: Oprah " they are so proud of it they make a song of it" referring to Olu Mentain and Kelly Handsome, now we want to make it a nationalize thing? You can imagine how Wikipedia will have to put it, " the Nigerian emergency number was derived from its popular Internet scam phrase"

Sounds logical but slightly unbalanced.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by politicalpastor: 5:45am On Feb 25, 2013
searchcorp: “As president, I would ask the Police to get a national emergency number, say 419 like the Americans use 911. It won’t be various numbers for various police stations. I saw some very long un-memorisable numbers on the website of the Nigerian police. How on earth do they expect anyone to know such numbers? The first thing most robbers do now is to take your phone from you so you won’t be able to call. How does the Nigerian police expect a traumatised robbery victim, whose phone has been taken from him, to remember a 10-digit emergency number? It’s rather ridiculous. I mean, we could instead have 419 – which is the most popular police code in Nigeria. If you are robbed, and your phone is taken, you can get to a call centre and just dial 419." by Temitope Oyetomi Author of the book 'Fellow Nigerians, I wish you Goodluck'

am surec you know the meaning of 4 1 9. LOL, BUT I WONT BE SUPRISE., AFTERALL , NAIJA POLICE IS THE GREATEST PROBLEM NIGERIA IS FACING.
Re: Police National Emergency Number To Be 419 by searchcorp(m): 7:50pm On Feb 25, 2013
pretty_boi: This is an absolutely brilliant idea. God Bless you OP.

Amen!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Doyin Okupe Challenged APC Supporters With 250k / 16 Chibok Girls Recused Today 8 Pregnant / Ghana vs Nigeria again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.