Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

What Are D Do's & Dnt' - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / What Are D Do's & Dnt' (5267 Views)

Where Are D Chibok Girls? / Wen U Are D Ist To Go For Nysc In Ur Family... / Dnt Ignore Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are D Do's & Dnt' by willyrita: 1:52pm On Feb 24, 2013
My fellow prospective corps members plz i want 2 knw d necessary tinz needed 4 d camping?
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by funkystanl(m): 8:23pm On Feb 24, 2013
MODIFIED

It’s about that time when u go and serve your country, I have taken the liberty to interview some of my friends to learn their camping experience in a bid to get as much info as possible about the three weeks of camp. I decided to get a comprehensive list of the things we might need to make life at the camp a more palatable experience.

1. As soon as sum ppl get their call-up letas issued they quickly run to d nearest biz centre to laminate it. Costly mistake. Don't ever do that, as there's a part during d registration when ur call-up letter will have to be stamped. Some ppl trying to remove d lamination may tear their letters in the process. Do not laminate, as d call-up will still be returned to NYSC at the camp.
2. Most pple forget dt camp registration is 3 days. Everybody rushes to camp on d first day and try to register. On d day camp opens b4 u're allowed inside everyone is searched. Imagine how long that takes! So my point is no need to hurry. You can even go to camp the 2nd or 3rd day. By that time no push push, insults and general rudeness from those silly NYSC officials. The downside is that u may not get a choice space 4 accommodation and if u're a guy with large feet like mine all d size 45-46 will be taken already.
3. Every camp has OBS (orientation broadcasting service). Their speakers are all over camp and they blast music all day, cast news and announce missing items. Now members of OBS dnt go for parade. On d first day of camp after ur registration if u hv time or as soon as possible run and register for obs. Once those soldiers enter d hostels to chase for parade and u show ur obs tag they leave u alone. However, now OBS do audition cos they knw everyone wants to join to avoid parade.
4. If u do resume on the first day and u get issued ur kit let ur body not shack you and you run to quickly change into it. You'd be shocked that the soldiers will blow bugle on the first day for parade. And anyone seen kitted is chased to parade. As soon as u are issued your kit go and hide it under you box/bag. You can then successfully wear mufti for d 3 days duration of d registration. If the soldiers ask why you aren't kitted tell them you've not been issued. Shikena and they'll leave you alone. If you like quickly change and run to parade round dt day d soldiers will mark ur face and if you're a guy they'll make u platoon leader. From there sorry for you. Hot sun will finish you and u can't skip any day of parade.
5. For the ladies if you're posted to the North the sun there is hotter. Please and please always wear ur face cap. Most chics on camp want to display their hair and they'd remove the caps and hang on their waist. Mistake. By the time the sun finishes wit ur face and if u're fair like me hmmm suffice to say u won't recognise ur complexion.
6. Ladies make a hairstyle that'll last for 3weeks. Tiny braids is ok. If you decide to fix weavon to camp you may be forced to do another hair in camp because d sun in d far north will turn ur weavon to iron sponge. So no need.

The forms that will be handed to you and attach your passport are very easy to fill. Fill them correctly. After your registration, you will be issued with your State Code Number. This will be like your PIN throughout your Service Year.

After you have been given your State Code, you should proceed straight to collect your mattress and your NYSC Kit. Go for your kit on time so that you can get your size.

The Camp Commandant (the soldier in charge) and the other soldiers may tell you that if you participate in parade, play volleyball, and do all they want you to do, you will end up being posted to a favourable place for you Primary Assignment - LIES! Soldiers ain't got that power at all, maybe the Camp director and some NYSC officials can help, but not all of them have the powers they claim.

Finally from ur 2nd week in camp start putting ur ears to the ground as regards posting. That's hw to knw which NYSC official can runs it for U. Make friends with ppl (sure people o, and be careful not to be deceived, duped or used.) Even if u don't get posted to a good organisation try and be posted to a good town. And not some villages where camels are the only means of transportation and not the state capital where cost of living is high.

Things you’d need to take to camp:
1. Eight copies of each of Statement of Results, School ID Card, Passport photo, and Call-up Letter (Hold both Original + Photocopies of all). NOTE: Photocopies can be as much as N20 at the Orientation Camp. Though you may not use up to those 8 copies but its beta than wasting money. Please remember to also take the original documents, some camps will send you home if u don't have originals.

2. Ten plain sheets of A4 paper

3. A Pen + Pencil + Stapler (with pins ) + Glue + Tipex (they say everything @ d camp is 4 sale, u want to save as much as possible and won’t want to beg)

4. A Cardigan

5. Six Round-necked white T-Shirts Throughout your stay at the orientation camp, you will only be allowed to wear your white top and shorts; you might not like the ones that will be handed to you at camp so you can get those fitted brands as long as they are white, With these duly pointed out, no need to pack a lot of clothes to the Camp. You should only take a few in case you need to go to Mosque on a Friday or Church on a Sunday. To me your dress to camp should be your ONLY mufti...nobody they look you!

6. Six white Shorts + Socks

7. A Pair Of Plain White Sneakers (NYSC will give u 1 but you'd be lucky if they fit plus it spoils quickly know Naija & low quality things). Get a sneakers that u can just use water and cloth to clean every morning and not the one u must wash before it gets clean

8. A pair of slippers (These camps are very dirty, The bathrooms are filthy! The bedrooms are dirty! Just have something on your feet at all times)

9. DETTOL (very essential, BRING or BUY at camp. It's just to disinfect your bath water)

10. Towel (BRING from home. At least you know it's clean. Anything you buy from Mami Market may be secondhand.)

11.Bed-Sheets. (BRING from home. Again, the peace of knowing what you're sleeping on is clean. Mattresses will be provided by NYSC.)

12.Handkerchief (BRING from home. There will be BUCKETS of sweating. Do yourself a favor)

13. Sleep clothes (BRING from home)

14. Underwear (Guard it jealously, I was told people steal panties - SMH)

15. Detergent (BUY from market. Again, this reduces the amount of load you're bringing into camp. You have to wash your clothes, underwear, and bed things. However, if you're lucky the mami market will have vendors offering laundry services! The only caveats are: you run the risk of your stuff getting lost)

17.Money (About 10 to 15,000 Naira {Excluding transport} should see you through the camp period modestly. but if you have to drink and hang out at The Mammy market a lot, then you can take more money depending on how much you can finish, be wise though! Sha budget N1000 per day)

18.Toiletries/Sanitary Pad (If you are posted to the Up-North like Yobe and Maidugiri, pls do not spray perfumes/anything scented, or the flies won't stop hugging you. For the ladies, u will be wearing white all through when it’s time for your menstruation, beware of stains)

19.Bucket, soap dish (buy at the camp site, don't stress yourself taking one to the place, they always sell in the camp)

20.Waist bag (Try to buy this before you get to the camp, very very essential, U've got to put all ur money in it and tie it round ur waist, cos some people won’t come to camp with money and will steal)

21.Torchlight and Batteries (BRING or BUY. Seeing as there's hardly ever any electricity, and you might want to read at night, having the flashlight helps.

22.Music (Ipod, MP3, Phone, just take your music but dont go with your laptops)

23.ATM card (u may need 2 run out and get dough)

24.Painkillers, Malaria Medicine, Allergy Medicine, etc. (BRING from home. You do not want to make the mistake of getting ill in camp. The camp clinic is a BIG JOKE!)

25.Padlock (BRING or BUY. Well, you might not need it if u have a hard suitcase - no padlocks required. And anyways, thieves apparently can tear people's bags with scissors or knives to get to their things)

26.Sun Glasses: (It can get really sunny, especially in the north, but I'll advice all to take sun glasses since you'll be standing on the parade ground for long hours. unless it's rainy season)

27.MOSQUITO NET (the camp is Mosquito's headquarters)

28.You will be fed three times a day in camp but I must not lie to you, the food there is nothing to write home about. I bought food at the mami market almost all through the 21 days. You will get good foods there. The only thing I collected from their food was Bread...cos it was faster to share it as I don’t like to queue not to talk of queuing for food under the SUN.

29.Don’t take materials like pressing iron, knife, fork, tin cutter, clipper to the camp. They will be seized and NOT returned to you. I was told this is a security measure.

30.You can buy a food flask at the mami market

31.Your Bible/Quaran

32.Condom and Birth Control/After-Morning Pills….LOLZ. Things dey happen for camp ooo

Have fun but never agree to be manipulated or coerced into anything by anyone. I wish everybody good luck and I hope to see you in my camp. All the best take photographs and make urself happy. 3 weeks is a long time.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by fataiiyo(m): 9:58pm On Feb 24, 2013
Thanks so much for the information...am now searching for money to buy all those stuffs as from now cos all u listed above are not jokes...am Team UI,and where did you finish?
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by funkystanl(m): 9:37am On Feb 25, 2013
Yeah...really not joke but u can still cut cost. Not necessary u get all as much u can always cut ur cost or get some low-cost stuffs. Preferably ask ladies. They know how to cut cost. UI great school. I finished at yabatech....Statistics!

Another thing I'd like to state is this:
Guys with beards am sorry to tell you that for security reason you won't be allowed to carry your clippers into camp. Personally I wouldn't advice you to shave with the public barber's clipper. So preferably go with a gud Gillete shaving stick and shaving cream or aftershave (with this u are safe and MAY still maintain ur clean shave without bumps).

In addition for those of us using smartphones (such as balckberry) you could always use the Map application on your phone to get you location as soon as you get to the state you are posted to. This will be very useful when you've been posted to various local government area for PPA.
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by willyrita: 7:10pm On Feb 25, 2013
Tnx 4 d gud piece of advice!
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by funkystanl(m): 7:38pm On Feb 25, 2013
willyrita: Tnx 4 d gud piece of advice!

You welcome. Hope u find 'em resourceful¥
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by Funjosh(m): 7:45pm On Feb 25, 2013
Someone said GARRI is essential.

1 Like

Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by funkystanl(m): 10:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
Funjosh: Someone said GARRI is essential.

Funsho my padi, na ya way as per ijebu man u may need a bowl of it...lolz
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by usmexy1(m): 12:08am On Oct 07, 2015
26 days to go for the 2015 Nysc Batch b orientation camp,otondos hope you are ready for the training and challenges ahead, kindly get your affordable nysc additional kits on kaymu with a great discounted rate and will be delivered to your door step,you don't need to stress yourself to get it, all you need is to click the link below and start shopping.
www.kaymu.com.ng/seller/nysc-store

Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by Emergencyluck: 4:01pm On Oct 09, 2015
pls hw often do they play football on camp cos I lov playing football,infact I play football everyday except on Sunday.I rep Fed.Univ of Agriculture Makurdi.
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 09, 2015
pls should d pasport be white or red background
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by MistarT(m): 7:41pm On Oct 09, 2015
Mr. Funky why don't you want us to come with food -flasks??
Re: What Are D Do's & Dnt' by funkystanl(m): 9:05pm On Oct 09, 2015
MistarT:
Mr. Funky why don't you want us to come with food -flasks??

Pretty old post...some of these info do not hold grounds anymore. U can go with ur food flask or buy at the mammy market

(1) (Reply)

Female Corper Show Off Massive Backside (photo) / How To Sell Online Free As A Corps Member / Kidnapped Youth Corps Member Reappears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.