Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? (1373 Views)

See Pictures Of Newly Discovered Amazon Tribe Who Lived In The Forest For 600yrs / Africa: Why Francophones Are Lagging Behind Anglophones / Obama Vs. Obasanjo: Two Names And What They Symbolize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by segunjowo(m): 9:57am On Feb 27, 2013
In the news media, such as CNN, BBC, etc, I have observed that whenever the continent Africa is mentioned, the picture that comes to bear is either that of a bust, a remote village or an animal, maybe a lion, a giraffe or something. I wonder why? Does it mean that we don't have beautiful places like a city or something to show, or is it a deliberate attempt by the foreign media to tag us as 'bush' people ar animals?
Guys what's your take on this? Have you ever observe this?
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Rossikk(m): 2:14pm On Mar 03, 2013
Yes. That's their normal racist tendency. You never ever see depictions of any clean or modern place in Africa in the western media.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 03, 2013
Rossikk: Yes. That's their normal racist tendency. You never ever see depictions of any clean or modern place in Africa in the western media.

A lot of Africans don't even realize that there is an obvious attempt at making Africans look uncivilized and inferior. When you tell them that the western media does these things to portray Africa in a bad light, they ask you if Africa was in a good light to begin with or ask you why you like blaming whites for everything.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by panafrican(m): 12:50am On Mar 04, 2013
fellis:

A lot of Africans don't even realize that there is an obvious attempt at making Africans look uncivilized and inferior. When you tell them that the western media does these things to portray Africa in a bad light, they ask you if Africa was in a good light to begin with or ask you why you like blaming whites for everything.
Africans do realize that and they think you cannot do anything to help the wicked europeans change their racist mind. Let these retarded media folks die ignorant.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by tpia5: 2:57am On Mar 05, 2013
those are the touristy parts of africa, the other option is to show the northern part of the continent, they already do that with the pyramids et all.

as to whether africans are intentionally omitted to make them look bad, i have no idea.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 05, 2013
tpia@:
those are the touristy parts of africa, the other option is to show the northern part of the continent, they already do that with the pyramids et all.

So there are only two things the western media can show about Africa; the 'touristy' regions and the pyramids of Africa? WOW
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by jantavanta(m): 12:09pm On Mar 25, 2013
Because we do not have a media outfit to present what we want.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 1:23am On Mar 26, 2013
fellis:

So there are only two things the western media can show about Africa; the 'touristy' regions and the pyramids of Africa? WOW

I understand what you are alluding to (regarding the media and outdated views of Africa). Out of interest, sincerely, I ask you; what would you rather they showed?

I am not African (debatable), just intrigued.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 26, 2013
Africans fail to realize that our natural endowment and ancient history is all we got, it stands us out, every other scenery is just a poor copy of the west.

We seriously need to work on our own identity, my two cents.

1 Like

Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
Flytefalls:
I understand what you are alluding to (regarding the media and outdated views of Africa). Out of interest, sincerely, I ask you; what would you rather they showed?

I am not African (debatable), just intrigued.

They can show these things i.e pyramids and tourist attractions. They can also show media that contain different sustainable development projects that are being undertaken or have been undertaken in Africa, they can show how well most of the businesses in Africa are doing, show beautiful and admirable aspects of African cultures and so on.

A lot of positive information can be shown about Africa apart from touristy regions and Pyramids in Egypt.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 28, 2013
fellis:

They can show these things i.e pyramids and tourist attractions. They can also show media that contain different sustainable development projects that are being undertaken or have been undertaken in Africa, they can show how well most of the businesses in Africa are doing, show beautiful and admirable aspects of African cultures and so on.

A lot of positive information can be shown about Africa apart from touristy regions and Pyramids in Egypt.
That's a lot of conceptual ideas for a few seconds of footage. Producers aim to offer a visualisation before presenting the news piece. Africa is huge and progress is today, I agree, but usually producers will settle for images offering quick recognition for viewers.

The Caribbean is a beach, China is a wall, and England is London. Real change is time consuming. Africa is changing, and primarily, we pray the news reports it accurately!
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 28, 2013
Flytefalls:
That's a lot of conceptual ideas for a few seconds of footage. Producers aim to offer a visualisation before presenting the news piece. Africa is huge and progress is today, I agree, but usually producers will settle for images offering quick recognition for viewers.
The Caribbean is a beach, China is a wall, and England is London. Real change is time consuming. Africa is changing, and primarily, we pray the news reports it accurately!

Firstly, the OP didn't say that he is talking about only a few seconds of footage and secondly, you asked me the question of 'what else can the media show', you didn't ask me 'what else can the media show with just a few seconds of footage?'

Besides, even if there are only few seconds of footage to represent Africa, there is still a lot more they can show than animals and thick forests.
We have infrastructure, industries and beautiful cities.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 3:12am On Mar 29, 2013
... No, you didn't say that. But I implied it because the time constraints placed on a news piece will determine how "experimental" producers are likely to be. And imo, I don't think they are that bad. However, if the news story was reporting on a infrastructure project in Dakar, well, I wouldn't expect to see lions or bush.

Hmmm. There aren't many places in the world where giraffes wander freely, or the bush grows as thickly. It's a beautiful thought of Africa for those of us who live in crowded cities (heck even in Africa). Imo, @OP, its not a big deal, as long as the news piece endeavours to report accurately.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 29, 2013
Flytefalls: ... No, you didn't say that. But I implied it because the time constraints placed on a news piece will determine how "experimental" producers are likely to be. And imo, I don't think they are that bad. However, if the news story was reporting on a infrastructure project in Dakar, well, I wouldn't expect to see lions or bush.

I didn't say what? What didn't I say? And how was I to know what you were implying without you mentioning it?

I don't even understand what you saying anymore, just believe whatever you want to believe.
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 29, 2013
It's more of a psychological warfare to make Africans look inferior and give more meanings to their description of Africa as the dark continent of subhuman species... I'm surprised you didn't notice the dirty markets and dirty uncivilised people they always show as well - racist neanderthals! grin
Re: Using Animal And Thick Forest Pictures To Symbolize Africa: Why? by Nobody: 10:38am On Mar 29, 2013
Flytefalls: ... No, you didn't say that. But I implied it because the time constraints placed on a news piece will determine how "experimental" producers are likely to be. And imo, I don't think they are that bad. However, if the news story was reporting on a infrastructure project in Dakar, well, I wouldn't expect to see lions or bush.

Hmmm. There aren't many places in the world where giraffes wander freely, or the bush grows as thickly. It's a beautiful thought of Africa for those of us who live in crowded cities (heck even in Africa). Imo, @OP, its not a big deal, as long as the news piece endeavours to report accurately.

The bolded will happen when pigs start flying....

(1) (Reply)

Donald Trump Blasts Buhari Again! / 'have More Babies And Muslims Can Take Over The Uk' Hate Fanatic Says, As Warnin / Iran Declared Public Holiday In Honour Of Chavez

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.