Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Great De-conversions Stories - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Great De-conversions Stories (1017 Views)

Christian Abductions And Forceful Conversions To Islam / Illusionist Derren Brown Shows The Psycology Behind Conversions! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Great De-conversions Stories by tpaine: 3:36pm On Mar 18, 2008
There is quite a few inspirational de-conversion stories here:

De-conversion:   http://de-conversion.com/index/.

Leaving Christianity:  http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~slocks/decon.html

Preface

Over the years I have come to know and know of many ex-Christians most of whom were well-churched, their numbers including former ministers, apologists, missionaries, theologians etc. Why should such people leave Christianity? These people are the best versed in Christianity and yet they leave despite so much personal and professional investment in their religion, enjoyment of their time as believing Christians and social pressures to stay. How can this happen if the evidence for Christianity is so good? If supernatural Christianity is true, shouldn't they have known better?

But what if the history and philosophical and moral implications of the various branches of Christianity are very different from that which is traditionally taught? The painful fact for many Christians is that through research and thinking this is the conclusion to which they often come. Why else should all these people leave, contrary to their world-view, culture, professions, and heavy investment in Christianity? Why would God go to the trouble of incarnation and crucifixion only to allow genuine seekers to find Christianity untenable, or give "spurious" experiences and "incorrect" interpretation to those who spend so many years trying to be Christians? From our research and testimonies it is apparent that Christianity is not what we once thought it was.

I hope that these collected stories and resources will be of comfort to new deconverts. There is no "exit counselling" from the church and usually our Christian friends just want to find out "where we went wrong" rather than really listen and explore with us. It can be a great thrill to find fellow travellers in what is usually a very lonely journey with often few or no sympathetic people to turn to. I thought I was the first to deconvert from a genuine heartfelt Christianity until I discovered a few hints in books, some friends with similar stories and then the voluminous accounts on the Internet!

I hope to keep these pages fresh as I am still in the process of collecting stories and links and discussing this subject with various interested parties. Discussing religion can of course be very contentious and although primarily a resource for ex-Christians it is inevitable that some believing Christians, or others with different opinions, will surf here and wish to criticise this site. I have tried to avoid too much scornful material, although sometimes emotions rise in some of the reported on-line discussions - I am not from Vulcan! But if you think I have not been fair or really have missed something then I'd like to know. All criticism is welcome as long as it is not a knee-jerk at just reading a little of what I have to offer as such criticism is less interesting and causes too much repetition.

This site started partly as a FAQ when on debating lists and also as a collection of my bookmarks, so there is some of my own material here. However I don't think I have got the most to say, although I have included my own story with as much detail as I think is necessary for those who are interested. I am occasionally worried that I will one day be put in a corner by religious friends or relatives, so this is also my considered FAQ for any of them, rather than an emotional confrontation. Luckily it has not yet been needed - I have coped with carefully placed comments, so far! The bulk of the material is contained in the links to the writings of other people which is exactly the sort of information I wish I had found back in the mid 1980's when I was asking all those questions,

Go to http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~slocks/decon.html to read more.

If you have got any other good stories, please can you post them?
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 18, 2008
What do these people convert to: homosexuality? drug abuse? alcoholism? despair/suicide? serial killing? abortion? euthanasia? communism? fascism?

Which atrocity do they convert to?
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by tpaine: 5:38pm On Mar 18, 2008

What do these people convert to:  homosexuality?  drug abuse?  alcoholism?  despair/suicide?  serial killing?   abortion?   euthanasia?    communism?   fascism?     

Which atrocity do they convert to?

Certainly NOT. Read their stories. They converted to reason.  Unlike the Catholic priests who commit most of these acts while still in the church.  Am sure you know of the sexual scandals of the Catholics.
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 18, 2008
tpaine:

Certainly NOT. Read their stories. They converted to reason.

And reason leads them to: homosexuality? drug abuse? alcoholism? despair/suicide? serial killing? abortion? euthanasia? communism? fascism?

tpaine:

Unlike the Catholic priest you commit most of these acts while still in the church. Am sure you know of the sexual scandal of the CAtholics.

Since you say God does not exist; it does NOT matter what these priests do.
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by tpaine: 5:54pm On Mar 18, 2008
imhotep:

And reason leads them to: homosexuality? drug abuse? alcoholism? despair/suicide? serial killing? abortion? euthanasia? communism? fascism?

Since you say God does not exist; it does NOT matter what these priests do.

Why would reason lead to any of the above. Reason is the antithesis of crime and immorality and bad selfharming behaviour. I am sure when you exercise respect and kindness to your friends and family, are you acting unreasonably?

When you settle your financial obligations to your crditors, are you acting unreasonably?

When you avoid excessive alcohol, are you acting unreasonably?

Of course, it matters what the priest do (god or no god) if what they do is criminal and violate other people's rights. That is the problem with you theists. The reason you have for being good is the expectation of heavenly rewards. On the other hand, atheists are just good because it simple humanistic consideration. Who then has the moral upper ground?
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 18, 2008
tpaine:

Why would reason lead to any of the above. Reason is the antithesis of crime and immorality and bad selfharming behaviour.
Stalin was a communist, an atheist and a reasonable man - he murdered over 20 million of his country men.

tpaine:

Of course, it matters what the priest do (god or no god) if what they do is criminal and violate other people's rights. That is the problem with you theists. The reason you have for being good is the expectation of heavenly rewards.
Why do atheists ALWAYS attack theists in order to justify themselves Is this some kind of inner emptiness/insecurity

tpaine:

On the other hand, atheists are just good because it simple humanistic consideration. Who then has the moral upper ground?
Since atheists disbelieve the existence of God (the source of all good); goodness or badness does not matter to them. No wonder the atheistic communists murdered millions upon millions.
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by 4Him(m): 6:04pm On Mar 18, 2008
imhotep:

Why do atheists ALWAYS attack theists in order to justify themselves Is this some kind of inner emptiness/insecurity

that is why i never take "atheists" any seriously than i would if someone shouted that there was nothing like a sky.
Atheism is solely built, not on "reason", but on the constant need to attack theism.

If indeed you know and believe that God does not exist then why all the huffing and puffing? How many threads do we put up struggling to prove that God exists? Either you take it or leave it . . . its a matter of choice.
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 18, 2008
4Him:

that is why i never take "atheists" any seriously than i would if someone shouted that there was nothing like a sky.
Atheism is solely built, not on "reason", but on the constant need to attack theism.

If indeed you know and believe that God does not exist then why all the huffing and puffing? How many threads do we put up struggling to prove that God exists? Either you take it or leave it . . . its a matter of choice.

And tpaine is yet to give us a convincing PROOF that God does not exist. Haba!
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by JayFK(m): 6:10pm On Mar 18, 2008
imhotep:

Stalin was a communist, an atheist and a reasonable man - he murdered over 20 million of his country men.

Since atheists disbelieve the existence of God (the source of all good); goodness or badness does not matter to them. No wonder the atheistic communists murdered millions upon millions.

That's always the argument theists make against atheist, Stalin, Pol Pot and all the other dictators.
Fact is that it always comes down to the INDIVIDUAL not his beliefs.
Stalin did not justify the killing of Russians and Jews in the name of his "non religion" no. He did it because of his personal choices.
Do we really want to bring up the horrors done in the name of Christianity, I'slam, Judaism, God and queen? because they are fukcin numerous.
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 18, 2008
JayFK:

That's always the argument theists make against atheist, Stalin, Pol Pot and all the other dictators.
Stalin did not justify the killing of Russians and Jews in the name of his "non religion" no. He did it because of his personal choices.
Do we really want to bring up the horrors done in the name of Christianity, I'slam, Judaism, God and queen? because they are fukcin numerous.

You have evidence that both atheists and theists have terrible committed crimes. Good.

Do you now see why atheists should REMAIN SILENT about theists? And vice versa?
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by 4Him(m): 6:18pm On Mar 18, 2008
JayFK:

I hope atheists would stick to that and stop hounding our ears about catholic priests sodomizing little boys. What has that got to do with the bible?
Does the fact that we have 419 boys prove that every Nigerian is a fraud?
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by tpaine: 6:23pm On Mar 18, 2008

I hope atheists would stick to that and stop hounding our ears about catholic priests sodomizing little boys. What has that got to do with the bible?
Does the fact that we have 419 boys prove that every Nigerian is a fraud?

I agree, just as bad an argument as the Stalin, Pol pot one.
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 18, 2008
tpaine:

I agree, just as bad an argument as the Stalin, Pol pot one.
@tpaine

Good. Now defend atheism without throwing weak punches at theism.
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by tpaine: 6:29pm On Mar 18, 2008
Well, this thread was about de-conversion, so let's stay on topic. There are other thread on existence/non-existence. Funny how all your debates always reverts to existence/non-existence. Do you not know anything else?
Re: Great De-conversions Stories by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 18, 2008
tpaine:

Well, this thread was about de-conversion, so let's stay on topic.
@tpaine
You de-convert by attacking theism. Please defend atheism without attacking theism.

tpaine:

There are other thread on existence/non-existence.
@tpaine
And you ran away from them as usual.

tpaine:

Funny how all your debates always reverts to existence/non-existence. Do you not know anything else?
@tpaine
With all your recourse to reason, you have NOT disproved the existence of God. Till you do so, your atheism is baseless and dangerous.

(1) (Reply)

Benita Iyere Okojie: Young Gospel Artist / Heavy Bleeding Stopped After Prayer With Tb Joshua / Nothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.