Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,175 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing (15453 Views)

Should Dbanj Stop Singing? / Why I Decided To Stop Singing Songs Which Make No Sense-d' Prince / Nigerian Police Warns Tonto Dikeh To Stop Singing & Face Acting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 04, 2013
I actually forgot to add this. Deciding to manage only PSquare is actually a very wise decision.

I am not the most knowledgeable in this music business thing. But my understanding is that with MOST producers & manager, they have 'the goose that lays the GOLDEN EGGS' and then 'the other artistes'.

Don Jazzy despite having several artistes, D'banj layed the gold-eggs. So was Wiz Kid to Banky W. So is Rihanna, as I think, to Jay Z.

A very wise man once said that it is way better to find a deep well and mine it DEEPER than scatter your force over several shallow ones. Acts like the PSquare boys are a managers life-time dream.

Mr Jude was 'lucky' to find his 'deep well' first. And he is drilling deep. Sharp guy.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Mcleo007(m): 4:42pm On Mar 04, 2013
Inconclusive speeches of these kind are caused by poor exposure and half-baked education. Didn't expect much from him though, after the way he handled the May D situation. Wish him and his company more of continued luck.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Napolitano(m): 4:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
If he made better agreements before signing up an artist he won't be talking like this. 90% of Nigerian artist would agree to a deal that will even pay them less than N2 million after a the end of the day. The mistake he had with MayD was that there was no solid agreement in place before even shooting a video.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Afam4eva(m): 4:55pm On Mar 04, 2013
Illiteracy is eating us badly in this country. Some people jumped into conclusion after reading the title without reading the entire interview to understand what Jude is driving at. he never said, he can't groom an artiste but that experience has taught him that most artistes will see people like Psquare, 2face and D'banj and think that they just got to the level that they are in a day. You have to strive for success and that is what all these new artistes have to understand. if you see Psquare driving a lamborgini, you mustn't expect to get same in your short career because the years of hardwork that those dudes have put into their music even seniors some upcoming musicians. Slow and steady wins the race and up comers have to learn to be patient. Things don't come easy without hardwork.

3 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 04, 2013
[size=48pt] " i must get my own Record Label "[/size]
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by pazienza(m): 5:15pm On Mar 04, 2013
Fredrick909: [size=48pt] " i must get my own Record Label "[/size]

What are you still waiting for?
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 04, 2013
donilalasky: I'm sure if Peter n Paul, weren't his brothers, he would have gone on to sign as many artistes. He's afraid of others outshinning his brothers under his own label. Smacks of selfishness n lack of confidence. My opinion though.
if not for he's brothers talent, he will be noting . He probably be a drunk in the village. African mentality nobody want see his fellow man get money pass them. my question is dis what happens when psquare stop singing. If sony, universal,interscope, and other record label should think like you then we won't have so many artist in the world . 2 words for you broda selfish and greedy.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by pazienza(m): 5:21pm On Mar 04, 2013
I am 100percent with Jude,there is no need grooming a lion that you can't control,it's a waste of time,energy and resources. Better save yourself the ache now,when it's still only but a cub,let other nairalanders who think running,managing a record label,and grooming a rough talented musician to stardom na beans,let them go and sign may D, kini big deal?

Talents abound everywhere,only few know how to turn them into finished products.

3 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by scholes23(m): 7:33pm On Mar 04, 2013
Who cares or even gives a damn anyway In short, no one shld even go there before he'll end up doing what Banky did to whiz kid
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by vizboy(m): 7:39pm On Mar 04, 2013
even in the 21st century a child must crawl before he walks it is the law of nature. You dont become rich in just 1 night. If this is why the guy left square record. He is still a kid

2 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by kabaka1: 7:49pm On Mar 04, 2013
donilalasky: I'm sure if Peter n Paul, weren't his brothers, he would have gone on to sign as many artistes. He's afraid of others outshinning his brothers under his own label. Smacks of selfishness n lack of confidence. My opinion though.

U're damn right. He has this village mentality that just won't leave him alone. May D will definitely find his shine. It's just a matter of time
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Sprumbaba: 7:52pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jude wants the old school type of business where you have a master and apprentice and the apprentice gets freedom after 7 years.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Paulonminyi: 7:57pm On Mar 04, 2013
Am totally discomfit wit dis miscomfit conception,JUDE is afraid of d rapid growth of modern musican and abandon of Jude record. Jude is advertisin,His speech is far from d truth.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by poundzbag: 7:59pm On Mar 04, 2013
Just admire the way MayD keep mute despite the series of rants from from Okoye. .Keep keeping it real MayD while Okoye continue shouting.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 8:00pm On Mar 04, 2013
dopeJemi:

dis Dude shud shut dah phuck up abeg.. Hu cares? Put square Records and EME records on d tabLe and see if peopLe won't jump 2 EME

#scaredMuch
lol, big lie.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Prince0500(m): 8:20pm On Mar 04, 2013
efosanice: by the time psquare stops singing, square records would be history,you can then take all your money and shove it then, go and see kennis music now, the so called owners are hustling for judging slots on singing reality shows. This is the typical mentality of the black man and it is so sad, that is why no predominantly black country is developed.

If you pick an artiste you sign them, there are certain amount to be put into production and there is a certain percentage the artist gets from all income he makes for the label, why is it that the artiste has to start asking for car and house and then it is the duty of one man to decide if he has suffered enough, he is not an apprentice , he is an artist and the sole reason why p square own their own record is so that they would not be working for another, so if you are going to sign someone, there should be a standard contract. Usher co-signed justin bieber and justin bieber makes much more money than usher makes now, same with akon and lady gaga,why would you sign somebody and put the person behind you in line, let his star shine as much as it can shine and you would get your cut in managerial and recording benefits. I hope this statement would be used against this man anytime he ventures into public office.

I am also not surprised that some people here would be supporting him,because they are obviously from the master-apprentice mentality
I beg lecture them oh
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 04, 2013
Don-nas:
Jude saying such a thing doesn't make you a philantropist at all, you need to help upcoming artist.
This guy should mind his mouth haba. The P brothers are traveling all over d world trying to keep their heads up, their sernior bro,is there making mouth. Even if u hv something like that in mind u must not say it open.Look at d way he pose as if he is d real P Square.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by sobastical: 8:34pm On Mar 04, 2013
Shameful thought, doesn't sound like a good professional with good business insight and a quality foresight, what if Psquare betray Him
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Digriz(m): 8:37pm On Mar 04, 2013
dannysteve99@ya:
This guy should mind his mouth haba. The P brothers are traveling all over d world trying to keep their heads up, their sernior bro,is there making mouth. Even if u hv something like that in mind u must not say it open.Look at d way he pose as if he is d real P Square.
does it concern u abt the way he posed,ur just a hater.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Digriz(m): 8:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
Billyonaire: You are sentimental, business has no rooms for emotions. When you sign an artist, you have agreement structured out in your favor with expectations demanded from the parties, if you chose not to buy a car, then it has to be structured, I think Jude is just afraid that some artist will come and expose the incompetence of the Squared Ps and ride on their inadequacies to overide them. Jude is afraid cos he knows PSquares are incompetent of withstanding May-D quick rise. Lets call this spade a spade.
ur nt making any sense.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by mizunik: 8:56pm On Mar 04, 2013
Hu cares, rude fellow
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Anvaller: 9:31pm On Mar 04, 2013
efosanice: by the time psquare stops singing, square records would be history,you can then take all your money and shove it then, go and see kennis music now, the so called owners are hustling for judging slots on singing reality shows. This is the typical mentality of the black man and it is so sad, that is why no predominantly black country is developed.

If you pick an artiste you sign them, there are certain amount to be put into production and there is a certain percentage the artist gets from all income he makes for the label, why is it that the artiste has to start asking for car and house and then it is the duty of one man to decide if he has suffered enough, he is not an apprentice , he is an artist and the sole reason why p square own their own record is so that they would not be working for another, so if you are going to sign someone, there should be a standard contract. Usher co-signed justin bieber and justin bieber makes much more money than usher makes now, same with akon and lady gaga,why would you sign somebody and put the person behind you in line, let his star shine as much as it can shine and you would get your cut in managerial and recording benefits. I hope this statement would be used against this man anytime he ventures into public office.

I am also not surprised that some people here would be supporting him,because they are obviously from the master-apprentice mentality

Very well said... Its a typical Nigerian mentality.. we need to be more liberal in our thinking. because U brought mayd to the limelight doesnt mean he should remain below u 4ever. Look at Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg u really cant tell who and who is the boss.. Dr Dre and Eminem who is the boss? Dre Dre and 50cent who is the Boss. Dre discovered and polished all these guys and they became their own boss immediately after their 1st hit while they still work together with Dre up till this moment, Dre didnt have a problem with that cos he understood that he cant stop them from shining, all he has to do is partner with them to sign a contract that defines his percentage on their revenue. When u r signed as a new artist, ur label should give u a lifestyle that represents the class of the label that u r working for. And their brand is not a mushroom brand so whats their problem?

2 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by ebeano(m): 9:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
I think this is not a complicated case.

1. Jude doesnt want to sign someone who's already acting the "boss". someone who's not ready to work for his money.
2. My understanding from Jude, if MayD shld have all he's asking for, what then would motivate him to write better, sing better and
make good returns for money invested.

As some of you did disagree with Jude, the nicest thing would be to call MayD and sign him up. Guess he's free at the moment.

No sentiment in Business. Jude is not prepared for REGRETS. So best for him to avoid it.

una weldone!

7 Likes

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Anvaller: 9:54pm On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva: Illiteracy is eating us badly in this country. Some people jumped into conclusion after reading the title without reading the entire interview to understand what Jude is driving at. he never said, he can't groom an artiste but that experience has taught him that most artistes will see people like Psquare, 2face and D'banj and think that they just got to the level that they are in a day. You have to strive for success and that is what all these new artistes have to understand. if you see Psquare driving a lamborgini, you mustn't expect to get same in your short career because the years of hardwork that those dudes have put into their music even seniors some upcoming musicians. Slow and steady wins the race and up comers have to learn to be patient. Things don't come easy without hardwork.

I understand ur point.. and its a good point but I dont believe that mayd would be asking for exactly the same thing as psquare has, he just wanted a lifestyle that measures up with the record label he is signed in. I really dont believe that side of Jude's story he just wants to give a good impression of himself. But hey.. I also do not agree with the point that giving him a high lifestyle will make him lose motivation cos if they give mayd such paraphernalia, it doesnt become his property. It is still all properties of SQUARE RECORDS. He would only be using the paraphernalia from the ex-officio point of view. So how would he lose his head when he knows that those properties would be withdrawn if he failed to deliver as stated by their contract terms! It is a very African strategy to motivate ppl by demotivating them.

1 Like

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 04, 2013
acidtalk: Don't blame jude. He is an Igbo man.
It takes an Igbo man an average of between 5-14years to be an apprentice before he finally gets freed by his boss. So Jude watching MayD get freedom and start living the luxurious lifestyle is unimaginable to him.

Jokes aside, I totally agree with Jude 1,000,001% on this. I have investments and run businesses in the Entertainment Industry and I will tell you, every son of Adam should be allowed to hustle his as*s out to make a name for himself. If he can't afford Studio time then he should go wash dishes at the upscale Hotels or be a company driver to pay his Studio time at the end of the day. That way he will appreciate success when it finally comes and not the overnight breakthrough this artiste gets that now makes them have the guts to spit in the faces of those that brought them out of gutter.

See the likes of 2face, Timaya, Femi Kuti, Psquare, Ruggedman and a few others, this guys worked really hard to attain success and breakthrough and yet they are still keeping it real. They know the work that went into their struggle so they won't just look down on anybody or spit in the face of someone who footed their bills to be famous. Even if they part ways with their managers, producers or marketers, they do it in a very mature way which is not likely to cause fracas.

Look at the likes of 9ice, Wizkid, Dbanj and all these other boys who feel because they have gotten to a level, they can now start looking down on everyone. I recently advise my friend who is a great act (not musician) but dwelled into music to have a rethink and draft out solid agreement on one boy he has currently spent up to N2million on and wants to drag me into their agreement.
Every man should hustle hard if you wants to succeed.
An average Human being is an ingrate by nature

You sound like a kid. My 3 years old nephew would be more articulate than you on this matter.
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 04, 2013
Jude Okoye needs to understand that he is running business here! He can't keep relying on only P-Square, he has got to find solutions on how he can make the artists see things in a realistic way. Saying he does not want to sign new artist would only run down Square records and turn it into another Kennis Music. You cannot hold on to an artist forever... at a point u need to let him go. Examples are:

Jermaine Dupri and Usher
Jermaine Dupri and Bow Wow
Chris Stokes and Omarion
Dr Dre and Eminem
Eminem and 50 Cent
and the list goes on and on...

He needs to spell out the conditions in the contract so that he does not lose out!

If he is making a lot of money now... WHAT ABOUT THE FUTURE?...

1 Like

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by kingcobra1(m): 10:48pm On Mar 04, 2013
Evrybody here is shouting mayd mayd....we av some many record label in dis country dat mayd can join...we r we taking panadol for another man's headache..
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by Nobody: 11:06pm On Mar 04, 2013
dopeJemi:

dis Dude shud shut dah phuck up abeg.. Hu cares? Put square Records and EME records on d tabLe and see if peopLe won't jump 2 EME

#scaredMuch
dude dat 1 na big lie u lie so who fit dance 4 EME?...no mata wat psquare dey top chat so go sidon
Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by searchcorp(m): 11:10pm On Mar 04, 2013
i sincerely dont know whats wrong with buying them a car or renting them an apartment in the company's name. its the company's property. Period! the newly signed artiste are only entitled to it while their contract is still valid.

Jude Okoye's story seriously escapes me.

but hey! we all have different approaches to business, but if there is one thing i have learnt from google, amazon, apple etc., its that u make more money when everybody around you seems to be making money off you business wise. CASE STUDY; google adword for bloggers, youtube partnership for video bloggers, itunes store for artistes and labels etc.

1 Like

Re: Jude - No Artist Signing Till P-square Stop Singing by lawizle(m): 12:14am On Mar 05, 2013
Fredrick909: [size=48pt] " i must get my own Record Label "[/size]

Confam!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos From Juliet Ibrahim’s Halloween Party / African Massive Hips/butty Ladies Photos, Can These Be REAL? / Daniel Ademinokan Celebrates Stella Damasus' 40th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.