Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? (2447 Views)

Military Accused Of Training Troops In Bathroom Slippers & Without Uniforms / Photos Of South African Troops In Maiduguri ? / President Jonathan Rocks Military Uniform During Visits To troops In Mubi (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by egoldman(m): 9:27am On Mar 02, 2013
I have been following the news from mali these days and have been expecting to hear about our troops there but so far no update.
are they killing us abi na we dey kill them , abi na kitchen department we dey there ?
all i hear is french,mali and chad troops,where are nigerian troops ?
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Blackteeth(m): 9:55am On Mar 02, 2013
Someone posted a thread that they were once begging for rice from the locals. I guess they have all gone their seperate ways for survival reasons.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by egoldman(m): 11:05am On Mar 02, 2013
I taya for the whole thing , heard chadian troops have killed one the leaders of alqeida in mali ,but our nigerian troops , no news yet , presido GEJ wetin dey happen na ?
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by osaroodion(m): 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2013
that's not true
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 02, 2013
Nigeria troops(some) are deployed to the mali-mauritania border. The largest chunk of nigerian troops unfortunately are still in Banamba in the south which is about 150km off bamako. However our jets have been carrying out recce missions in mali.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 02, 2013
info disemination s one f d main prob n dis country! how can nothng be said by our gov since? then we ar free t speculate. As fo me, I tnk they hav been benched f lack of skills nd logistics. Last time I saw Malian soldiers using cell phone to communicate with their commanders on France24, I woder what our soldiers will b using, can phones?
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 02, 2013
Henry120: Nigeria troops(some) are deployed to the mali-mauritania border. The largest chunk of nigerian troops unfortunately are still in Banamba in the south which is about 150km off bamako. However our jets have been carrying out recce missions in mali.
This s what we are sayng, assumng this ur simple report culd regularly be put on NTA, how do u thnk Nigerians will feel? I thnk proud!
There is no single day that France24 will nt report an amazing did of french troop n Mali. What stops Nigeria frm embedding a reporter wit Nigerian troop?

1 Like

Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 02, 2013
Like I said our airforce have began operations in mali. Here are photos to prove.

Now as regards logistics 2 nigerian C-130 planes have been deployed to lift our heavy equipment. The british are also assisting nigerian in lifting our heavy equipments to mali. All in all, nigeria has 3 transport planes in mali, 2 C-130 stretch variants and 1 G222. We have 3 C-130's currently in service while 3 others are undergoing upgrades in europe to be delivered later this month. Of the 3 in service, 2 are in mali, while 1 is on permanent presidential duties, ferrying the presidents personal car and other logistics.

Our country Nigeria is great

Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by mojounited(m): 3:51pm On Mar 02, 2013
NIGERIA COMPLETE FULL TROOP DEPLOYMENT FOR AFISMA OPERATIONS..2 NAF C130 HERCULES PLANES MOVE TROOPS AND HARDWARE, ONE RAF C130 MOVES EQUIPMENT; 1, 210 ARMY AND AIR FORCE PERSONNEL ON GROUND IN MALI AND NIGER

PAN AFRICAN NEWS AGENCY
28 February, 2013

Excerpts

Nigeria has deployed the full complement of 1,200 troops it pledged for the African led International Mission in Mali (AFISMA) with the airlifting of the last batch of 162 troops to Mali Wednesday, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Onyeabo Azubuike said in Abuja.

Receiving the visiting Indian Vice Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Shiri Krishina Singh, General Ihejirika said ‘as of Tuesday, we have all our (Nigerian)
pledged troops in Mali. The remaining 162 left this Wednesday, bringing the total number of troops we have in Mali to over 1,200. ‘With this, the Nigerian Army has achieved 100 per cent deployment for all ranks to AFISMA.’
The 162 soldiers were airlifted aboard a Nigerian Air Force C-130 transport Hercules aircraft. Another C-130 aircraft,provided by the British Government to assist Nigeria in the AFISMA operation, will airlift Nigerian-owned support equipment, along with another Nigerian C-130 aircraft.

Altogether, the Nigerian Army has a total of battalion plus (910 troops) deployed in Mali. This is in addition to the 300 troops deployed by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) which is based in Niamey, Niger. The NAF also have two fighter jets and an Mi-35 helicopter gunship also based in Niger.

http://beegeagle./2013/02/28/nigeria-complete-full-troop-deployment-for-afisma-operations-2-naf-c130-hercules-planes-move-troops-and-hardware-one-raf-c130-moves-equipment-1-210-army-and-air-force-personnel-on-ground-in-mali-a/

Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by gramci: 4:32pm On Mar 02, 2013
The hatred for one's nation seems to have assumed a new dimension.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 02, 2013
Thanks to those who gave info here, at least we now know that our soldiers are not doing "babi halla" in Mali. God bless the soldiers as they help bring peace to Africa.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 02, 2013
All this 1 fighter jet, 2 fighter jets business sef.

We should have like 20 fighter jets sitting there ready to go.

But then again it's just a bunch of rag tag rebels. cool
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by egoldman(m): 8:38pm On Mar 02, 2013
mojounited: NIGERIA COMPLETE FULL TROOP DEPLOYMENT FOR AFISMA OPERATIONS..2 NAF C130 HERCULES PLANES MOVE TROOPS AND HARDWARE, ONE RAF C130 MOVES EQUIPMENT; 1, 210 ARMY AND AIR FORCE PERSONNEL ON GROUND IN MALI AND NIGER

PAN AFRICAN NEWS AGENCY
28 February, 2013

Excerpts

Nigeria has deployed the full complement of 1,200 troops it pledged for the African led International Mission in Mali (AFISMA) with the airlifting of the last batch of 162 troops to Mali Wednesday, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Onyeabo Azubuike said in Abuja.

Receiving the visiting Indian Vice Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Shiri Krishina Singh, General Ihejirika said ‘as of Tuesday, we have all our (Nigerian)
pledged troops in Mali. The remaining 162 left this Wednesday, bringing the total number of troops we have in Mali to over 1,200. ‘With this, the Nigerian Army has achieved 100 per cent deployment for all ranks to AFISMA.’
The 162 soldiers were airlifted aboard a Nigerian Air Force C-130 transport Hercules aircraft. Another C-130 aircraft,provided by the British Government to assist Nigeria in the AFISMA operation, will airlift Nigerian-owned support equipment, along with another Nigerian C-130 aircraft.

Altogether, the Nigerian Army has a total of battalion plus (910 troops) deployed in Mali. This is in addition to the 300 troops deployed by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) which is based in Niamey, Niger. The NAF also have two fighter jets and an Mi-35 helicopter gunship also based in Niger.

http://beegeagle./2013/02/28/nigeria-complete-full-troop-deployment-for-afisma-operations-2-naf-c130-hercules-planes-move-troops-and-hardware-one-raf-c130-moves-equipment-1-210-army-and-air-force-personnel-on-ground-in-mali-a/

youe news link is of 28th feb, thats two days ago , do you since when our troops left niger for mali ?
i love my country as you do,but is it that our troops cant fight where those brave chadians troops fight or what ?
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by egoldman(m): 8:39pm On Mar 02, 2013
mojounited: NIGERIA COMPLETE FULL TROOP DEPLOYMENT FOR AFISMA OPERATIONS..2 NAF C130 HERCULES PLANES MOVE TROOPS AND HARDWARE, ONE RAF C130 MOVES EQUIPMENT; 1, 210 ARMY AND AIR FORCE PERSONNEL ON GROUND IN MALI AND NIGER

PAN AFRICAN NEWS AGENCY
28 February, 2013

Excerpts

youe news link is of 28th feb, thats two days ago , you since when our troops left nigeria for mali ?
i love my country as you do,but is it that our troops cant fight where those brave chadians troops fight or what ?
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by mojounited(m): 1:05am On Mar 03, 2013
Please read the article I posted again...there lies your answer - from the excerpts below in bold;

pledged troops in Mali. The remaining 162 left this Wednesday, bringing the total number of troops we have in Mali to over 1,200.

This means that our ARMY personnel (910 troop members) arrived Mali in batches; hence, "the last batch of 162 troops to Mali Wednesday". The remaining 300 troops are members of the AIR FORCE based in Niamey, Niger. Comprende #N/B - It should also be noted that very few of the NIGERIAN ARMY SPECIAL FORCES were in Mali carrying out ground surveillance and obtaining information way before French troops arrived. The armed forces and defence ministry are not as open as it should be (as obtained in western countries) and the press ain't helping either, it's more of this reason we currently have little or no information about the situation of our boys in Mali.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by egoldman(m): 7:19am On Mar 03, 2013
This is not it my brother , when we were in liberia and freetown , we used to know the progress of our troops,now compare that with this time when media technology have improved and we have democracy,we should be more informed about our troops man .
another even more high profile alqeida leader has been killed ,i mean the leader of the group that did the algerian hostage thing , he was killed again by chadian troops.
please forget this nigerian troops being based in niger thingy with their jets,the french with their jets are in mali pounding the terrorists,malian troops are based in their country doing their thing , why are our troops based in niger and what have they been doing ? if the world media reports on the french and malian progress , why not on our own ?
so i ask again, what is the progress of our troops in mali so far ?
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by koruji(m): 7:51am On Mar 03, 2013
Thanks for your report.
However, while this shows Nigeria is doing something to conclude with the phrase "Our country nigeria is great" is sad.

First, why would write "Nigeria" as "nigeria".

Second, what does greatness mean for you - because what you described is a pitiance when compared to what Nigeria should be!!!

Henry120: Like I said our airforce have began operations in mali. Here are photos to prove.

Now as regards logistics 2 nigerian C-130 planes have been deployed to lift our heavy equipment. The british are also assisting nigerian in lifting our heavy equipments to mali. All in all, nigeria has 3 transport planes in mali, 2 C-130 stretch variants and 1 G222. We have 3 C-130's currently in service while 3 others are undergoing upgrades in europe to be delivered later this month. Of the 3 in service, 2 are in mali, while 1 is on permanent presidential duties, ferrying the presidents personal car and other logistics.

Our country nigeria is great
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by otokx(m): 10:24am On Mar 03, 2013
So England has to help us transport military equipment from Nigeria to Mali, goes to show that the rot in the system is all embracive. Let us not continue to deceive ourselves.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 03, 2013
koruji: Thanks for your report.
However, while this shows Nigeria is doing something to conclude with the phrase "Our country nigeria is great" is sad.

First, why would write "Nigeria" as "nigeria".

Second, what does greatness mean for you - because what you described is a pitiance when compared to what Nigeria should be!!!

Thank you, koruji, I've made the correction with the NIGERIA, it was a spelling error.

Secondly, I'm a patriot, I don't support any political party and don't do tribe. There is absolutely no doubt that Nigeria our country most part have failed us and has grossly under achieved.

While it is important to report all the wrong with our dear nation, like saharareporters does, I cannot continue to dwell on the negatives those people churn out all the time, it damages the psyche and represses any chance of optimism and growth a citizen should have for his/her country or in this case nigeria.

There are a lot of positives to report on, however getting this information is very difficult. I spend countless ours of my free time after work every day trying the get these positive stories mostly overlooked by our partisan media. I concentrate on the military, the military has been full of surprises for me, and like with everything in nigeria it has her major shortcomings, but the positives are immense, so I search and I search. With the airforce, our F-7's are just interceptors, MIG 21 knock offs. what we need are SU-30's or SU-27's, the alpha jets are potent, but if we can acquire yak-130's that would be immense for us( yes I know, I'm digressing).

The koko of the matter is "NIGERIA IS GREAT", I did not use the statement in reference to the pictures I posted......NO.... but to show how deep inside I feel about my country, in all terms.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 03, 2013
otokx: So England has to help us transport military equipment from Nigeria to Mali, goes to show that the rot in the system is all embracive. Let us not continue to deceive ourselves.

Now you are talking like a fool. France is a military power, rated no 8 in the world, yet the americans provided them with 2 C-17's and 1 C-130 to help them transport their equipment. Countries that provided france with logistics

America = 2 C-17's, 1 C-130, 1 tanker for air re-fuelling, surveillance drones and intelligence.

Britain = 2 C-17's
Germany= 1 C-160 transall
Canada = 1 C-17
Russia = 1 antanov ( the worlds largest plane) for 1 week, to transport equipment
Qatar = 2 C-17's
Spain = transport plane
Belgium= 2 medvac helicopters for transporting wounded.

Nigeria has = 2 C-130H (stretch variant) and 1 G222 deployed to mali to transport troops and logistics, there is nothing wrong with accepting british assistance. Your brain is meant for thinking, use it.

France has troops stationed in ivory coast and senegal, france has a permanent airbase in CHAD.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by egoldman(m): 11:27am On Mar 03, 2013
no one seems to be answering my question at all , why are we not getting any reports about our troops in mali , we hear what the french and the malians are doing , what about our Nigerian troops ?
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by omanzo02: 12:30pm On Mar 03, 2013
egoldman: no one seems to be answering my question at all , why are we not getting any reports about our troops in mali , we hear what the french and the malians are doing , what about our Nigerian troops ?

Because Nigeria government don't want to over-hyped the situation, drawing unnecessary attentions about how many people we killed and destruction meted to them sound stup!d, let the result speak for us and not media chestbeat.

We proved our capabilities in Liberia and Sierra-Leone, we can also go for a quiet operation without much hype.
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by egoldman(m): 4:10pm On Mar 03, 2013
omanzo02:

Because Nigeria government don't want to over-hyped the situation, drawing unnecessary attentions about how many people we killed and destruction meted to them sound stup!d, let the result speak for us and not media chestbeat.

We proved our capabilities in Liberia and Sierra-Leone, we can also go for a quiet operation without much hype.

SO MALI AND FRANCE DEY DRAW ATTENTION TO THEMSELVES ABI ? angry angry
Re: How Far With Our Troops In Mali ? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Mar 03, 2013
omanzo02:

I don't agree! The French always sing their own glory, reporting their successes and losses (three casualties so far, according to them) and Im sure they have France24 reporter embedded with the troop and the chronicle of their exploit in Mali will be available after the whole show! Why cant we also have NTA reporter embedded with our troop, feeding us regularly and keeping records of our soldiers' exploit? If we do not sing our own praises, who will?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Shocking Case Of Gay Major (Bello Magaji) Pardoned By Jonathan / Facebook Friends Attack Elrufai For Calling President Jonathan A Pig / Faces Of Perverts And Pedophiles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.