Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

States Without "Okada" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / States Without "Okada" (578 Views)

Buhari's Bailout To The States Without Senate Approval / Jimi Agbaje Rides Okada To Rally (PHOTOS) / Oil-producing States Without An Oil Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

States Without "Okada" by PapaBrowne(m): 2:57pm On Mar 02, 2013
Many states in Nigeria have literally phased out Okada as a means of commercial transportation from their major cities. The trend started probably in Abuja(not very sure if that's still the case). Rivers state was the next and at the time they started it, I thought it would be an impossible policy to implement. Now many other states have followed suit with the South south states leading the pack(5 out of 6 have phased out Okada-Edo is the exception) I visited Enugu this week and found it was totally devoid of the Okada menace. Lagos has tried to implement it, but only on a partial basis.

Interestingly, I have noticed that the more civilized, forward thinking and economically viable states in the country are the ones that have literally phased out Okada.
Some states made this move and boosted their public transport services considerably. On this I'll give specific kudos to Delta State. A fairly robust public transport system was introduced to replace the void left by the absence of Okadas. Enugu also did pretty good.

One interesting replacement for Okada has been Keke Tricycles. Do I like them, No. Capital No. Do they do a fairly good job at moving passengers, well maybe.

However, I think states are failing tremendously to see the benefits of Public Transportation as not just something to bequeath to the citizenry, but something that can earn the State a good amount of income that could be used to further develop the transport sector.

Lagos State for instance has at least 10 million residents that commute daily. Imagine the LASG, getting something like 20 naira from every commuter daily. That would amount to 20 Naira x 10 Million Commuters= 200 Million Naira Daily. In a month=6 Billion. In a year 72 Billion naira. Thats enough money to plough back into at least 20km of light rail which in turn would earn the state more money to plough back into even more KMs of light rail.

Anyways, a list of states that have gone beyond the use of Okada as a means of Public transport.(Fully or Partially)

Akwa Ibom
Bayelsa
Cross Rivers
Delta
Rivers
Imo
Enugu

Lagos

Abuja

More recently NIGER.

If you know of any other state not listed which has banned Okada, feel free to add to the list.
Re: States Without "Okada" by Geomac: 3:12pm On Mar 02, 2013
Re: States Without "Okada" by PapaBrowne(m): 3:18pm On Mar 02, 2013
Geomac: Kano

Oh really. Wow. Interesting. It actually butresses the point that the more forward thinking and cosmopolitan states are at the forefront of banning Okada as a means of public transport. The interesting thing I realized in all the states concerned is that crime rate did not go up as a result rather the Okada riders found other ways to earn a living- many became taxi drivers.
Re: States Without "Okada" by Abagworo(m): 4:51pm On Mar 02, 2013
Abia did that long ago.

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba, Totally Ungrateful Kind Of People – Ahmadu Ali / Adamawa Prisons Attacked,127 Inmates Freed / N18,000 Wage: Strike Begins Today, Osun Labour Insists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.