Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Things That Haven't Changed (much) In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Things That Haven't Changed (much) In Nigeria (524 Views)

I Haven't Failed Against Boko Haram- Buhari / Patience: I Haven't Packed Out Of Aso Rock / One Question About GMB Certificate That Haven't Been Answered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Things That Haven't Changed (much) In Nigeria by 2scorehigh(m): 9:24am On Mar 06, 2013
After visiting Nigeria for the very first time and spending the past three days in the country, the following are some of the things I have discovered that haven't changed that much in the country.

The invisible hand of OBJ. I don't know about you but as for me, I have observed this guy OBJ is the most influential Nigerian dead or alive. In fact, this guy should be called Mr. Nigeria!

The name NEPA. Change the name and call it PHCN or power holding or whatever, I’ve noticed that people still swear or yell "Nepa" whenever there’s power outage and when the power is restored. And talking about power outage…

The incessant power outage. My Gosh, is this how you guys have been living in this country with all those terrible noise from those generators with their poisonous fumes?

The belief in the superiority of the Army over the Police. Maybe it’s me, I don’t know for sure, but I think from what I have seen and heard, the Army commands more respect than the Police in your country.

The NTA logo. This logo has come to stay, no stories. If you think the design old, that’s your business. And talking about NTA…

The NTA 9pm Network News jingle. Whoever did that jingle is supposed to have received millions and millions of Naira in royalties by now, I guess.

Ethnicity first, One Nigeria later... Why?

God is the answer. Everywhere I go; people keep on talking about and praying to this miracle working God that can do and undo.

Paper Qualification first. For some inexplicable reasons which I must have missed, I think people in this country love and cherish paper certificates so much.

Foreign goods are better. They've been praising and admiring and asking me how much I bought my shoes, my watch and my cellphone. Please I don’t want to start looking for my legs or my arm or even my wife’s head just because she’s from Brazil.

Unnecessary delay in obtaining government documents. I thought obtaining a driver’s license and car number plate was supposed to be the easiest ‘walk in’ affair in the world until they told me to come back in two week’s time! Someone even subtly suggested I should pay some money to facilitate things. And that reminds me, please do you people worship money in this country?

And the last but not the least for me…

That weird name Ciroma Chukwuma Adekunle that is seen on the WAEC question papers. Are you sure that guy is really a Nigerian?

So what about you? What are the things you have noticed that haven’t changed that much or at all in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Things That Haven't Changed (much) In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:58am On Mar 06, 2013
Okay. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Is There Middle Class In Nigeria / To Justify Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Jonathan Commits Factual Blunders / Bomb Blast In Kano Kills 25 People-Reuters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.