Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,823 members, 7,817,399 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries (7095 Views)

House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash / Reps Move To Clip Dstv, Others’ Monopoly / Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by UnknownMember: 3:12pm On Mar 06, 2013
KINGwax: Our problem in nigeria is d lack of education. If d law was passed, it won't mean some organizations can't owe, even legally tru by-laws. All they got to do is create a clause in their appointment letter and they can owe up to a month!!

Depending on how the bill is drafted, there might be a loophole that the emploers can exploit.
However, dont forget that no matter what clause you put in a contract, all agreements must fall in-line with the Laws of the nation
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2013
Unknown Member:

Depending on how the bill is drafted, there might be a loophole that the emploers can exploit.
However, dont forget that no matter what clause you put in a contract, all agreements must fall in-line with the Laws of the nation

True that
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by VonNestor: 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2013
The Problem is will the offenders be punished?, can the Poor employee get justice from the court of law, especially with the state of our judiciary

Hardly can the Poor fight the rich in this country and get a way with victory no matter who is guilty.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Philolos: 3:17pm On Mar 06, 2013
The last time I checked, wasn't the Federal government the main culprit?
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On Mar 06, 2013
VonNestor: The Problem is will the offenders be punished?, can the Poor employee get justice from the court of law, especially with the state of our judiciary

Hardly can the Poor fight the rich in this country and get a way with victory no matter who is guilty.

If done right, Yes, they should be able to
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Fhemmmy: 3:19pm On Mar 06, 2013
Philolos: The last time I checked, wasn't the Federal government the main culprit?

Yes, they are but this will make it easy for the employer to take them to court and surely win if done right oh
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Boazizzy08: 3:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
if this materializes,it will bring smiles back to the faces of most Nigerians. how i long for it to become law,it is like an emancipation for the common man.
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Stallion77(f): 3:29pm On Mar 06, 2013
That reminds me....Kuje area council never pay salary o!
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Joeadamu86: 3:30pm On Mar 06, 2013
Whoever thinks that Bill is for the general public has to wake up from dream land,the National Assembly members are just trying to design something that will favour them,I wish it has good intentions..
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by UnknownMember: 3:31pm On Mar 06, 2013
Joeadamu86: Whoever thinks that Bill is for the general public has to wake up from dream land,the National Assembly members are just trying to design something that will favour them,I wish it has good intentions..

How so?!
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Pergrace: 3:33pm On Mar 06, 2013
I hope this development will be extended to paying of pensions.Government is still owing my dad cry cry cry cry
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Fhemmmy: 3:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
Pergrace: I hope this development will be extended to paying of pensions.Government is still owing my dad cry cry cry cry

That is another monster that needed to be fixed . . . so sad!

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by nokingasgod: 3:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
Unknown Member:

Very valid arguement.

Any employer of Labour knows that atimes, cashflow challenges affect the payment of salaries. And with the insane interest rates in our banks, borrowing to pay off these salaries will only end up being penny wise, pound foolish for the employer.

I really believe that should this bill sail through as raw as it is, then there will be a lot of problems in the labour market. Folks will lose their jobs faster than they can imagine.

Even in the Public sector, example the Local Governments that atimes dont receive their allocation on time, how are they expected to pay their salaries?!

Before passing laws, these legislators need to make sure that they do their assignments properly. Ogor is very right and his opposition shouldnt be summarily over-looked.
NO, NO, NO. Mr Employer, i totally disagree with you. In 'O' Levels Economics we were taught that Labour (= employees) is one of the factors of production, the three others being land, capital and Entrepreneur. All of these are of equal importance and any attempt to accord more importance to any one at the expense of the other is mismanagement pure and simple. What is cashflow?, an excuse for lack of sound and sincere financial plan. The fact that in government environment statutory funds are usually delayed and consequentially, salaries are delayed as well does not make it right.
Several employers especially those in the private sectors are criminals, they often live above their income and to maintain the larger than life status, employee salaries are sacrificed. They often believe that its a big favour they are doing the employees afterall, they can sack all of them and bring in fresh people with lesser pay. At the end of the year, they circumvent the whole process and pay little or no taxes and in most cases, though they deduct income tax from employees, they never remit.
The bill will go a long way in addressing these issues and many more. If you cannot meet your financial obligations to your employees as at when due, then you have failed as an employer of labour and as a manager of business. Its either you resign or file for bankruptcy. Most Nigerian employer sees their companies as an integral extension of their family finances, it is ''me and my family'' first and like their politician counterparts, they would rather milk the company dry stealing for the comfort of their children and unborn generation. Go and check and you will see that Nigeria is the only country where, when a business folds up, there will be no significant change in the lifestyle/status of the owner because he would have stolen so much at the expense of the employees.
THis bill is a step in the right direction and all well-meaning Nigerian must support and see to its fruition!

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by mrjingles(m): 3:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
This is a wrong move by the NASS, they are supposed to make laws to encourage business, this will stifle employment growth and make workers worse off. Businesses will simply resort to more casual or contract staff and write in all sorts of clauses to enable them escape the laws, besides all the labour laws in the books are presently not enforced so what will make this one different? Important laws like PIB are languishing and these guys are talking about non issues like paying unemployed graduates and "criminalising" delayed salaries. Make laws to enable businesses and jobs will be created that's what the economy needs not meaningless populist, "notice me" laws.
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by thelastPope(m): 3:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
Unknown Member:

Very valid arguement.

Any employer of Labour knows that atimes, cashflow challenges affect the payment of salaries. And with the insane interest rates in our banks, borrowing to pay off these salaries will only end up being penny wise, pound foolish for the employer.

I really believe that should this bill sail through as raw as it is, then there will be a lot of problems in the labour market. Folks will lose their jobs faster than they can imagine.

Even in the Public sector, example the Local Governments that atimes dont receive their allocation on time, how are they expected to pay their salaries?!

Before passing laws, these legislators need to make sure that they do their assignments properly. Ogor is very right and his opposition shouldnt be summarily over-looked.

I would have agreed with you but for one problem. With my experience over the years, majority of salary delays are caused by the greed of the management. It is only in Nigeria you see company owners collecting practically all the turnover of the firm and placing it in their private account. The way to manage a company is to pay yourself a salary and allowances as the owner and then pay yourself your dues at the end of year. But some company owners at the end of the month or at the end of a project will just transfer everything to their personal account and attend to their personal needs first, then they will now start to look for money to pay their staff. There is something wrong about our value system that makes me want to support this bill.

I do agree though that the bill has to give place for abnormalities. They have to thoroughly work on it or it will create a lot of problems

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by nokingasgod: 3:58pm On Mar 06, 2013
Joeadamu86: Whoever thinks that Bill is for the general public has to wake up from dream land,the National Assembly members are just trying to design something that will favour them,I wish it has good intentions..
Dont think so, we should not forget that most of these guys are employers of labour and some of them are culprits too. We should only be concerned that the culprits ones among them will not thwart the process and ensure that the bill never scale through. THink this Bill is borne out of National Interest and the House of Reps should be commended.
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Obiora4life: 3:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
aguiyi:

a company that can not meet its obligations(working capital and administrative expensis inclusive) as they fall due have no business been in existence. Remember that most of this companies do not recognize excess profit in their books and as such, employees are not given anything in such situations. why should such employees not get paid at the very last day of the month when they dont receive extra benefit if things are rosy

Exactly!
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by yuzedo: 4:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
aguiyi:

a company that can not meet its obligations(working capital and administrative expensis inclusive) as they fall due have no business been in existence. Remember that most of this companies do not recognize excess profit in their books and as such, employees are not given anything in such situations. why should such employees not get paid at the very last day of the month when they dont receive extra benefit if things are rosy
Real talk!

This is a good bill from a politician with conscience. Femi is intelligent and full of integrity. He knows what he went to NASS to do, unlike those thieves that have unscrupulous motives for seeking legislative office!
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by thekoko007: 4:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
A very good one from the lawmakers this time around I think this will urge the tthe osun state gov to pay workers salary since dec lasyt year
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 06, 2013
Media houses are very guilty of this.
Thisday,AIT,ONTV,Soundcity,Superscreen,DBN,take note.
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by 5much(m): 4:21pm On Mar 06, 2013
this is a right step in the right direction.
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by nokingasgod: 4:22pm On Mar 06, 2013
thelastPope:

I would have agreed with you but for one problem. With my experience over the years, majority of salary delays are caused by the greed of the management. It is only in Nigeria you see company owners collecting practically all the turnover of the firm and placing it in their private account. The way to manage a company is to pay yourself a salary and allowances as the owner and then pay yourself your dues at the end of year. But some company owners at the end of the month or at the end of a project will just transfer everything to their personal account and attend to their personal needs first, then they will now start to look for money to pay their staff. There is something wrong about our value system that makes me want to support this bill.

I do agree though that the bill has to give place for abnormalities. They have to thoroughly work on it or it will create a lot of problems
God Bless you my brother, Nigerian Business owners are terrible. I have seen an instance where at about the middle of the month, salaries for the previous month had not been paid yet Mr MD threw a lavish party as part of burial rites for his late mother. 2 musicians, the best and the most premium in their categories were on hand to entertain the guests, their fees alone will pay the staff salaries for 2 months talkless of other expenses. But there was cashflow and sta salaries could not be paid.

Some few years back, a popular news publisher decided to take his brand to South Africa and he was warmly received by the South African market. Not too long, our friend started owing salaries as is the practice with his Nigerian operations but the authorities intervened and told him that was not possible in their country. So Mr. Publisher closed shops and returned home to continue his business as usual in his fatherland where anything goes!

THere is no justification whatsoever for salary delay or salary denied.
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by ninamyers: 4:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fhemmmy:

And when that happens, they will find a way to plug such holes . . . However, a coy owing up to a month is nothing, had a friend that works with AIT that was being owed up to 6 months and yet they expect such person to be at his duty post on a daily basis, how do they expect him to get to work, collect money from Mom and Dad or his wife? It is high time something be done. . . .

I have alot of friends that work with AIT, my dear it's not 6months salary being owed, some said 10months salary is what's presently being owed and it depends on the departments, some in news like reporters n co 10months, raypower staff 8months and so on. And if fired( Tsunami) trust me you don't get all your money. Honestly it's quite unfair to the staff who work effortlessly to make everything work. SMH angry
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by dulphines: 4:46pm On Mar 06, 2013
nina myers:

I have alot of friends that work with AIT, my dear it's not 6months salary being owed, some said 10months salary is what's presently being owed and it depends on the departments, some in news like reporters n co 10months, raypower staff 8months and so on. And if fired( Tsunami) trust me you don't get all your money. Honestly it's quite unfair to the staff who work effortlessly to make everything work. SMH angry

That's sad! And their chairman televised Governor Okorochas daughters wedding for free. In Okorochas words " The two day event cost about NGN42 million and chief Dokpesi televised it for free...)
The staff were hunger-televising and smiling. I am bewildered!
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Fhemmmy: 4:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
nina myers:

Thanks for the correction jare and such a man will walk into a party and make money cry by spraying and spending anyhow, and yet the people that is making him that money have to borrow salt to cook soup with no fish nor meat . . . How pathetic could it be?
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by 1shortblackboy: 4:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fhemmmy:

How could that be a valid and what would make a cash flow be a problem to the extent that salaries of those really working and making the company money wont be paid . . .
If the company is not making money, raise money somehow
business is not always smooth sailing naturally there maybe hickups if this law is passed then employers will do d next best tin to owing .... Laying off workers. b
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Fhemmmy: 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
1 shortblackboy: business is not always smooth sailing naturally there maybe hickups if this law is passed then employers will do d next best tin to owing .... Laying off workers. b

Business is not always smooth sailing and i think it will be fair if the CEO of the coy is not paid and wont even pay for the school fees of his kids and not eating at home, the employers should not be the one to suffer the heat, if you cant keep them, lay them off

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by devour129: 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
people delay salary sometimes for valid reasons.eg i have a washer man that's supposed to come two times a week to wash and iron clothes for my hubby,my self and our two kids only and we pay 30k.the guy is so lazy sometimes he comes only once a week and wash few clothes and go home and expect to be paid his salary at the end of the month ? HELL NO.na me fit him so i wait untill he has washed all the clothes from last month before i give him a dime.people like that should be flogged before they are paid.i hustle all day long so i can pay him and he does whatever he likes and also expects to be paid on time.
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by Fhemmmy: 5:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
devour129: people delay salary sometimes for valid reasons.eg i have a washer man that's supposed to come two times a week to wash and iron clothes for my hubby,my self and our two kids only and we pay 30k.the guy is so lazy sometimes he comes only once a week and wash few clothes and go home and expect to be paid his salary at the end of the month ? HELL NO.na me fit him so i wait untill he has washed all the clothes from last month before i give him a dime.people like that should be flogged before they are paid.i hustle all day long so i can pay him and he does whatever he likes and also expects to be paid on time.

Your case is different and even in that case, you ought to have let the employee know that his pay will be delayed cos of his laziness.
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by blackbeau1(f): 5:39pm On Mar 06, 2013
Best bill to be passed in years
Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by nokingasgod: 6:30pm On Mar 06, 2013
nina myers:

Lagos Television is in that club too except that they habitually owe only 1 month at any point in time. For example, they got December salary in the middle of January while they just got January salary.

Re: Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries by jadakiss213(m): 6:31pm On Mar 06, 2013
gramci:

Organisations might be forced to downsize
true that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Count Us Out Of Threats To Southerners – Middle Belt Youth Congress / Busted! Information Minister, Lai Mohammed’s Son Caught Smoking In Public / Ibrahim Danjuma, The Policeman Who Ordered The Shooting Of 6 Igbo Traders In APO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.