Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Islam And Jesus - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam And Jesus (985 Views)

What Islam Really Teaches About Allah And Jesus / Differences Between Muhammad And Jesus / Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam And Jesus by Herbiodun09: 8:48am On Mar 07, 2013
Muslims believe that God's messenger Jesus, son of Mary, on whom be peace, did not die yet. God tells us in His own words that Jesus was raised up by God and that he was neither killed nor crucified (see Qur'an 4:157-158). Furthermore, God tells us that in order to foil the plans of the unbelievers, God recalled Jesus and raised him up (see Qur'an 3:55). Muslims understand from these Qur'anic passages that Jesus did not die.

Muslims believe that Jesus will be coming again. A common explanation of verse 159 of Surah 4 in the Qur'an is that when Jesus returns, the people of the book will each believe in Jesus as he really is. Another verse in the Qur'an calls Jesus, on whom be peace, a sign of the day of Judgement (see Qur'an 43:61). This was further explained by the prophet Muhammad, on whom be peace, when he said that Jesus's return will be a sign that the day of Judgement is near.

God alone knows the full wisdom behind what He does. We can only try to understand some of the reasons. With God's help we can point to several reasons why Jesus will be coming again. One reason is that when the angel Gabriel announced to Mary about the birth of Jesus, he prophesied that Jesus will speak to mankind while he is a baby and again when he is mature (see Qur'an 3:46). The Arabic word Kahlan here translated 'maturity' actually refers to a maturity at 40 years old. When Jesus comes back he will live to this age and the prophecy will be fulfilled. Jesus also foretold his death (see Qur'an 19:33). This too will be fulfilled when he returns, and Jesus will be buried in Medina near his brother in faith, the last prophet, on whom be peace.

Another reason for Jesus's second coming is that he will be honored with the opportunity to personally correct the belief of his people. Too many have disbelieved and rejected him. Many others have believed incorrectly about him. When he returns, everyone will believe in him correctly. Yet another reason for his coming is that some of his teachings have been forgotten (see Qur'an 5:14), and replaced by misguided teachings (see Qur'an 5:77, 9:30). Jesus will have the honor of breaking the symbols of such false teachings and dramatically confirming his true teachings which were also taught by his brother in faith, the last prophet, on whom be peace.

A further reason is that in the last days an evil man called the Antichrist will arise. He will spread much corruption on the earth. Jesus will return to slay this man and restore peace on earth.

As to why Jesus alone and no other prophet will come back is for God alone to say. The above are only a few indications.

Finally, we must admit that Jesus, on whom be peace, was very unique. His entry into the world was unique, his departure was unique, and his return will be spectacular. The Qur'an rightly calls him "illustrious in the world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (unto Allah)" (Qur'an 3:45).
Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 10:08am On Mar 07, 2013
Prophet Muhammed was born many years after Jesus was born.
When Jesus came,He gave His message and many who heard Him recorded it.Many prophets who also came before Him had visions and prophecies of Him.The Bible was already in existence before prophet Muhammed was born.
When prophet Muhammed was born,he came in contact with the Jews and early Christians and gained knowledge about Jesus and the prophets through them.
When eventually he came up with the quran,his messages were simply based on what he believed and chose to record.The quran only gives u account of what prophet Muhammed's beliefs were which were in contrast to what was recorded by the earlier Christians.
You can chose to believe the quran's account of Jesus which is different from the Jews' and early Christians' account.
The question is if prophet's Muhammed account is the one to believe,how come it is not written anywhere that the earlier prophets had visions or prophecies of him?How come Jesus didn't have prophecies or revelations concerning him?How come no other prophets had messages linked to him except his(prophet Muhammed)own account?
Re: Islam And Jesus by tintingz(m): 11:43am On Mar 07, 2013
^^ And how come the jews didnt believe in the coming ''Messiah''(Christ Jesus) till now grin
Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 1:41pm On Mar 07, 2013
tintingz: ^^ And how come the jews didnt believe in the coming ''Messiah''(Christ Jesus) till now grin

Because they lacked discernment and were not able to recognise Him when he came
Prophet Isaiah prophesied that when He will come they will not believe Him.

'He is despised and rejected of men;a man of sorrows,and acquainted with grief:and we hid as it were our faces from him;he was despised,and we esteemed him not'.(Isaiah 53:3).
Do a search and open your heart to God and He will show you many things.My prayer for you Tintingz is God's prayer for all men:

'For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;Who will have all men to be saved,and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.For there is One God,and one mediator between God and men,the man Christ Jesus'(1 Timothy2:3-5)

'
Re: Islam And Jesus by tbaba1234: 6:53pm On Mar 08, 2013
thorpido: Prophet Muhammed was born many years after Jesus was born.
When Jesus came,He gave His message and many who heard Him recorded it.Many prophets who also came before Him had visions and prophecies of Him.The Bible was already in existence before prophet Muhammed was born.
When prophet Muhammed was born,he came in contact with the Jews and early Christians and gained knowledge about Jesus and the prophets through them.
When eventually he came up with the quran,his messages were simply based on what he believed and chose to record.The quran only gives u account of what prophet Muhammed's beliefs were which were in contrast to what was recorded by the earlier Christians.
You can chose to believe the quran's account of Jesus which is different from the Jews' and early Christians' account.
The question is if prophet's Muhammed account is the one to believe,how come it is not written anywhere that the earlier prophets had visions or prophecies of him?How come Jesus didn't have prophecies or revelations concerning him?How come no other prophets had messages linked to him except his(prophet Muhammed)own account?

I hope you are sincere, because that is the only way we can discern truth. Forget the prejudice and be honest with yourself. Deal?

True, The prophet Mohammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) was born years after Jesus. I am sure you believe in revelation. The fact that prophets come years after does not mean the message does not come from the same source.

False, There were NO arabic bibles at the time of the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him)and the prophet was also unlettered. The advent of the Arabic bible was after Islam had spread that it was translated to Arabic. The oldest manuscript in Arabic is dated 897 AD.

“With the victory of Islam the use of Arabic spread widely and for Jews and Christians in the conquered lands it became the language of daily life. This gave rise to the need of Arabic versions of the Bible, which need was met by a number of versions mainly independent and concerned primarily for interpretation.” (Ernst Würthwein, The Text Of The Old Testament (Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1988, pp. 104.)

“The oldest dated manuscript containing the Gospels in Arabic is Sinai Arabic MS 72. Here the text of the four canonical Gospels is marked off according to the lessons of the temporal cycle of the Greek liturgical calendar of the Jerusalem Church. A colophon informs us that the MS was written by Stephen of Ramleh in the year 284 of the Arabs, i.e., 897 AD.” (Sidney H Griffith, The Gospel in Arabic: An Enquiry into Its Appearance in the First Abbasid Century, Oriens Christianus, Volume 69, p. 131-132.)

Besides the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) himself could not read or write (unlettered) as recorded in the Quran and he was prophesised in your books.

...who follow the Messenger– the unlettered prophet they find described in the Torah that is with them, and in the Gospel–.... (Surah 7:157)

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is prophesised in numerous places in your book. According to Deuteronomy, God speaks to Moses (Peace and blessings be upon him):

I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him. [Deuteronomy 18:18-19]

i. The prophet will be like moses

ii. He will be from their brethren

iii. Words will be put in his mouths, meaning there are not his words.

iv. He Shall speak in the name of God

i. Someone like Moses(peace and blessings be upon him):

Birth: Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) had a normal birth like Moses (peace and blessings be upon him), Jesus had a Miraculous birth. They both had a mother and Father. Jesus (peace and blessings be upon him) had a mother only.

Family Life: Both Moses and Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon them) had wives and children. Jesus (peace and blessings be upon him) remained a bechelor.

Acceptance by the people: Both Moses and Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon them) were accepted by their people in their life times. Jesus (peace and blessings be upon him) was rejected by his people.

Prophet and Leader: Both Moses and Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon them) served their people as prophets and leaders, Jesus (peace and blessings be upon him) did not serve in a position of authority over the people.

Laws: Both Moses and Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon them) brought new laws.. Jesus(peace and blessings be upon him) did not bring any new laws.

Other similarities..

Prophethood at the age of 40

Forced migration by enemies

Military Leader

United various tribes under one cause

Victory over enemies

Natural cause of death

The only similarity between Jesus and Moses (peace and blessings be upon them) is that they were jewish prophets. This is hardly distinct as there were many jewish prophets.

ii. From among their brethen: Moses and his people are addressed as a racial entity, this means that their brethen are the Arabs. Abraham had two sons: Ishmeal and Isaac... The arabs and the Jews are sons from Ishmeal and Isaac respectively. The children of Isaac are the brethren of the Ishmaelites.

The prophesy is peculiar, it doesn't say from the Israelites but from their brethen.. It is clear that the Arabs and Jews are brethen... Therefore the prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) is amongst their brethen.

iii. and will put My words in His mouth: History tells us that Muhummed was forty years of age. He was in a cave some three miles north of the City of Mecca. In the cave the Archangel Gabriel commands him in his mother tongue:'IQRA' which means READ! or PROCLAIM! or RECITE! Muhummed was terrified and in his bewilderment replied that he was not NOT LEARNED! The angel commands him a second time with the same result. For the third time the angel continues. Now Muhummed, grasps, that what was required of him was to repeat! to rehearse! And he repeats the words as they were put into his mouth:

"READ! IN THE NAME OF THE LORD AND CHERISHER, WHO CREATED-
CREATED MAN, FROM A (MERE) CLOT OF CONGEALED BLOOD:

READ! AND THY LORD IS MOST BOUNTIFUL,-
HE WHO TAUGHT (THE USE OF) THE PEN,

TAUGHT MAN THAT WHICH HE KNEW NOT".

(Holy Qur'an 96:1-5)

The revelation of the Quran fits accurately into this description. Words put into the mouth of the Messenger (Peace and blessings be upon him). Muslims are convinced that the Quran is the speech of God put into the mouth of the messenger (Peace and blessings be upon him).

iv. He Shall speak in the name of God : Every 'chapter' of the Quran but one starts with :In the name of God, the extremely merciful, the always merciful

This is just one prophesy. There are many more.

You seem to believe that there was one doctrine of who Jesus amongst early christians. Historically there were many sects in early Christianity who had a range of beliefs regarding Jesus . Some believed Jesus was God, others believed Jesus was not God but partly divine, and yet others believed he was a human being and nothing more. Trinitarian Christianity which is the belief that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one in three persons became the dominant sect of Christianity, once it was formalised as the state religion of the Roman Empire in the 4th Century. Christians who denied Jesus being God were persecuted by the Roman Authorities . From this point onwards the Trinitarian belief became widespread amongst Christians. There were various movements in early Christianity which denied the Trinity, among the more well known of them is Adoptionism and Arianism. (Read more :http://www.onereason.org/the-other-jesus/jesus-in-islam/)

AND THE BOOK IS DELIVERED TO HIM THAT IS NOT LEARNED, SAYING, READ THIS I PRAY THEE: AND HE SAITH, I AM NOT LEARNED." (Isaiah 29:12).

There are other prophesies in your book.

The Quran as a book is beyond the productive capacity of a man. It is mind-blowing stuff when you get to study a little bit.

I hope you come to the realisation of truth.

4 Likes

Re: Islam And Jesus by tiarabubu: 4:58am On Mar 09, 2013
tbaba1234:

I hope you are sincere, because that is the only way we can discern truth. Forget the prejudice and be honest with yourself. Deal?

True, The prophet Mohammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) was born years after Jesus. I am sure you believe in revelation. The fact that prophets come years after does not mean the message does not come from the same source.

False, There were NO arabic bibles at the time of the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him)and the prophet was also unlettered. The advent of the Arabic bible was after Islam had spread that it was translated to Arabic. The oldest manuscript in Arabic is dated 897 AD.

“With the victory of Islam the use of Arabic spread widely and for Jews and Christians in the conquered lands it became the language of daily life. This gave rise to the need of Arabic versions of the Bible, which need was met by a number of versions mainly independent and concerned primarily for interpretation.” (Ernst Würthwein, The Text Of The Old Testament (Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1988, pp. 104.)

“The oldest dated manuscript containing the Gospels in Arabic is Sinai Arabic MS 72. Here the text of the four canonical Gospels is marked off according to the lessons of the temporal cycle of the Greek liturgical calendar of the Jerusalem Church. A colophon informs us that the MS was written by Stephen of Ramleh in the year 284 of the Arabs, i.e., 897 AD.” (Sidney H Griffith, The Gospel in Arabic: An Enquiry into Its Appearance in the First Abbasid Century, Oriens Christianus, Volume 69, p. 131-132.)

This is fallacy (true but irrelevant and misleading as my Prof would say) that has been debunked several times over.

In pre Islamic Arabia, Christians and Jews were know to abound throughout the peninsula. Prophet Muhammad was known to have traveled tending to his wife's business. To have come in contact with Jews and Christians (such as his in-law Waraqa)would have exposed him to their beliefs more so he had interest in monotheism as against the polytheists that abound in Arabia during the time.

So an Arabic Bible would not be the only way the Prophet came to know about Biblical Prophets. To say so would be a classical fallacy.

Although, different faiths, such as Judaism, Christianity, Zoroastrianism, Sabi and Hanafiyyah were common among the Arabs before the advent of Islam, the most common religious belief was no doubt a form of paganism... Judaism had a limited effect on pre-Islamic Arabian society, Christianity played a much greater role. Christianity started to prevail in the Arabian Peninsula from the 4th century on, from Syria in the north to Abyssinia/Ethiopia in the south. Christians from Syria were composed of dissident groups who could not be accommodated in the Byzantine lands, (1) due to sectarian conflicts within the eastern church. These people were effective among the Ghassani and Hira Arabs in northern Arabia, causing the Christianization of many Arab tribes.... the Christian culture, with its rituals, religious apparel, grandiose temples, statues and icons attracted the Arabs. The poems written to express the attraction of Christianity among Arabs are evidence of this. Arabia in the Pre-Islamic Period - Nihal Şahin Utku

(1) see where gnostic tales of Jesus in Islam came about?

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is prophesised in numerous places in your book. According to Deuteronomy, God speaks to Moses (Peace and blessings be upon him):

I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him. [Deuteronomy 18:18-19]

i. The prophet will be like moses

ii. He will be from their brethren

iii. Words will be put in his mouths, meaning there are not his words.

iv. He Shall speak in the name of God

No Prophet Muhammed is not for the following reasons;

(1) You believe that the Bible is corrupt. You once said that the Bible consists of fairy tales and in some parts like a child talking. Why should you believe it concerning Prophet Muhammed? undecided

(2) The Prophet in Deuteronomy is not Prophet Muhammed because Moses's relationship with God is definitely different from Muhammed. His life, acts, age, circumstance etc. Muhammed is not Jewish. You might argue that Arabs and Jews are cousins, but the fate of Hagar and her son are clear. The only times the Bible talks of brothers outside of the Jews it did so explicitly. (Deut 2:4 & 8; Numbers 20:14)

And yes there are many prophecies from the "fairy tale" book that you guys try to use to justify Prophet Muhammed.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 8:57am On Mar 09, 2013
Thank you tiarabubu.@ tbaba1234.You spoke about being sincere so we'll follow that line.You seem to be someone who can listen unlike many muslims here.
First of all,u say prophet Muhammed was unlettered,but it is well known that in the course of his trades,he met oftentimes with Jews and early Christians.Don't u think he would have learn't many things from them?Be sincere.
Concerning the prophecy in Deuteronomy18:18,that prophecy was about Jesus.He was called a prophet because the revelation Moses had and other prophets is that a man sent from God is a prophet.They did not and could not have a greater revelation than that at that time.You will notice the p in Prophet is in capital letter.Also the Prophet was to come 'from among their brethen',he was to be a Jew.
When Jesus came He mentioned it;
'Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father:there is one that accuseth you,even Moses,in whom ye trust.For had ye believed Moses,ye would have believed me:FOR HE WROTE OF ME.(John5:45-46).When Jesus asked the disciples what the people thought of Him,they said some said he was a prophet.Jesus replied and said yes,and more than a prophet.

It amazes me when u muslims accept Jesus was born of divine birth and yet deny His divinity.You just said he didn't have a father so where did His life come from?It came from God and that 'life' in original Greek Scripture is 'Zoe' meaning the God life.Jesus said,For as the Father hath life in Himself;so hath He given to the Son to have life in Himself(John5:26).Anyway the bible says 'having eyes but not see'.Also the bible says'ever learning but not able to come to the knowledge of the Truth'(2Timothy3:7).How come you discredit the Bible and then pick some verses in it as your valid proof?Does that not show insincerity and inconsistency?The same Bible full of 'stories' is now proof of prophet Muhammed's status!The Isaiah 29 u quoted,did u read to understand?Instead of just picking a verse,if u had started from verse 10,u would have had a better understanding.That Scripture was not a prophecy about any prophet but a proverb!Moreover was Jesus too not unlearned?
You spoke about being sincere,didn't you?Why don't u open your heart to God so he can show u His light.I pray your heart finds His true Light.(John1:9).
Ma' Salaam.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Jesus by tbaba1234: 3:38pm On Mar 09, 2013
i. Jesus is nothing like Moses, the only similarity is that they are Jewish prophets (Peace be upon them)...

ii. If it was referring to the Israelites, it should have said from 'your brethen' meaning moses (Peace be upon him)...Not using the collective pronoun suggesting a people/race. Either ways, if you insist it is from the Israelites them we are still waiting for that prophet because Jesus(Peace be upon him) does not fit the bill. If moses predicted Jesus (Peace be upon him), it is certainly not this verse.

The prophesy fits the Prophet Mohammad (Peace be upon him) like a glove. You should be sincere.

Being born of miraculous birth does not suggest divinity, otherwise Adam can be called divine. In fact he deserves the title more.

Since you say just one verse, let's look at a chapter.

More Prophesies (The whole of Isaiah 42)

The Old Testament prophesises the coming of a Prophet from Arabia who would be from the descendants of Kedar. The verses of Isaiah 42 describe the coming of a Prophet who God refers to as ‘my Messenger’ (Isaiah 42:19). This Messenger would be from ‘the villages that Kedar inhabits’ (Isaiah 42:11), which means that the Messenger would emerge from Arabia since that’s where the villages of the descendants of Kedar lived according to Isaiah 21:13-17. This Messenger would give ‘judgment’, ‘light’ and ‘Law’ to the ‘Gentiles’ (Isaiah 42:1-4). Gentiles is a term referring to the non-Jews. This Messenger would be a ‘man of war’ who will first be persecuted and then will fight and defeat idol worshippers (Isaiah 42:13-17).

The book of Genesis tells us that Abraham left his wife (Hagar) and Ishmael to settle in ‘Paran’ (Genesis 21:21), which according to historians is in Arabia. Ishmael grew up and settled in Arabia and had twelve sons one of whom was called ‘Kedar’ (Genesis 25:13). Isaiah 21:13-17 confirms that the descendants of Kedar were in Arabia. It is well known that Muhammad (pbuh) was a direct descendant of Kedar.

In the Davis Dictionary of the Bible it is stated that Kedar is ‘…A tribe descended from Ishmael … The people of Kedar were Pliny’s Cedrai, and from their tribe Mohammed ultimately arose’[John D. Davis ,Davis Dictionary of the Bible].

There were Jewish tribes in Medina (the city that the Muhammad (pbuh) migrated to) who had settled there because they were awaiting the arrival of a Prophet. In fact, Ben Shalom the Chief Rabbi of Medina embraced Muhammad (pbuh) as the Prophet whose arrival was foretold in their scriptures. (Read more: http://www.onereason.org/the-other-jesus/muhammad-in-the-bible/)

ii. When muslims say the bible is corrupted, it is an open secret, read the revised standard version to see how many verses are considered later additions to manuscripts. God still left the pointers to the truth in your books, so maybe those who can reason will...

There are more prophesies... You are the one that has to be sincere.

iii. Even if the prophet was literate, and the Quran came through him, It is impossible for that book to come from a man. It is incredible stuff when you study it. Absolutely mind-blowing. The fact that it came from a source that was unlettered makes it beyond mind blowing.

2 Likes

Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 8:04pm On Mar 09, 2013
tbaba1234: i. Jesus is nothing like Moses, the only similarity is that they are Jewish prophets (Peace be upon them)...

ii. If it was referring to the Israelites, it should have said from 'your brethen' meaning moses (Peace be upon him)...Not using the collective pronoun suggesting a people/race. Either ways, if you insist it is from the Israelites them we are still waiting for that prophet because Jesus(Peace be upon him) does not fit the bill. If moses predicted Jesus (Peace be upon him), it is certainly not this verse.

The prophesy fits the Prophet Mohammad (Peace be upon him) like a glove. You should be sincere.

Being born of divine birth does not suggest divinity, otherwise Adam can be called divine. In fact he deserves the title more.

Since you say just one verse, let's look at a chapter.

More Prophesies (The whole of Isaiah 42)

The Old Testament prophesises the coming of a Prophet from Arabia who would be from the descendants of Kedar. The verses of Isaiah 42 describe the coming of a Prophet who God refers to as ‘my Messenger’ (Isaiah 42:19). This Messenger would be from ‘the villages that Kedar inhabits’ (Isaiah 42:11), which means that the Messenger would emerge from Arabia since that’s where the villages of the descendants of Kedar lived according to Isaiah 21:13-17. This Messenger would give ‘judgment’, ‘light’ and ‘Law’ to the ‘Gentiles’ (Isaiah 42:1-4). Gentiles is a term referring to the non-Jews. This Messenger would be a ‘man of war’ who will first be persecuted and then will fight and defeat idol worshippers (Isaiah 42:13-17).

The book of Genesis tells us that Abraham left his wife (Hagar) and Ishmael to settle in ‘Paran’ (Genesis 21:21), which according to historians is in Arabia. Ishmael grew up and settled in Arabia and had twelve sons one of whom was called ‘Kedar’ (Genesis 25:13). Isaiah 21:13-17 confirms that the descendants of Kedar were in Arabia. It is well known that Muhammad (pbuh) was a direct descendant of Kedar.

In the Davis Dictionary of the Bible it is stated that Kedar is ‘…A tribe descended from Ishmael … The people of Kedar were Pliny’s Cedrai, and from their tribe Mohammed ultimately arose’[John D. Davis ,Davis Dictionary of the Bible].

There were Jewish tribes in Medina (the city that the Muhammad (pbuh) migrated to) who had settled there because they were awaiting the arrival of a Prophet. In fact, Ben Shalom the Chief Rabbi of Medina embraced Muhammad (pbuh) as the Prophet whose arrival was foretold in their scriptures. (Read more: http://www.onereason.org/the-other-jesus/muhammad-in-the-bible/)

ii. When muslims say the bible is corrupted, it is an open secret, read the revised standard version to see how many verses are considered later additions to manuscripts. God still left the pointers to the truth in your books, so maybe those who can reason will...

There are more prophesies... You are the one that has to be sincere.

iii. Even if the prophet was literate, and the Quran came through him, It is impossible for that book to come from a man. It is incredible stuff when you study it. Absolutely mind-blowing. The fact that it came from a source that was unlettered makes it beyond mind blowing.

I know once you make up your mind to believe what you want to believe,it is difficult to change.Jesus said,'no man cometh unto Me except the Father which hath sent Me draw him'(John4:44).Again He said,'Every man therefore that hath heard,and hath learned of the Father,cometh unto me.(vs 45).Once your mind is made up that it is prophet Muhammed then u won't be convinced except by God.If u say the Scripture does not fit Jesus but fits prophet Muhammed perfectly,so be it for a season.
You say having divine birth does not mean divinity?So what is it then?Adam indeed was called the son of God.Jesus' birth is greater than that of Adam.Adam is called a living soul while Jesus is called a quickening Spirit.
Isaiah 42 u speak about indeed talks about Kedar but there's nowhere it is stated that a prophet is raised from among them.
The so called corruption you speak about concerning the Bible,is just an excuse muslims use.
There are many versions of the Bible and these were done to give better understanding cos the original was in Hebrew and Greek.There's no doubt that may leave room for corruption but that is why u have study bibles to help.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 8:05pm On Mar 09, 2013
Re: Islam And Jesus by tiarabubu: 8:21pm On Mar 09, 2013
thorpido: Thank you tiarabubu.@ tbaba1234.You spoke about being sincere so we'll follow that line.You seem to be someone who can listen unlike many muslims here.
First of all,u say prophet Muhammed was unlettered,but it is well known that in the course of his trades,he met oftentimes with Jews and early Christians.Don't u think he would have learn't many things from them?Be sincere.
Concerning the prophecy in Deuteronomy18:18,that prophecy was about Jesus.He was called a prophet because the revelation Moses had and other prophets is that a man sent from God is a prophet.They did not and could not have a greater revelation than that at that time.You will notice the p in Prophet is in capital letter.Also the Prophet was to come 'from among their brethen',he was to be a Jew.
When Jesus came He mentioned it;
'Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father:there is one that accuseth you,even Moses,in whom ye trust.For had ye believed Moses,ye would have believed me:FOR HE WROTE OF ME.(John5:45-46).When Jesus asked the disciples what the people thought of Him,they said some said he was a prophet.Jesus replied and said yes,and more than a prophet.

Dont mind Tbaba and co who try all sorts of linguistic, conjural imaginative gymnastics to force Prophet Muhammad into the very Bible they deride!

It amazes me when u muslims accept Jesus was born of divine birth and yet deny His divinity.You just said he didn't have a father so where did His life come from?It came from God and that 'life' in original Greek Scripture is 'Zoe' meaning the God life.Jesus said,For as the Father hath life in Himself;so hath He given to the Son to have life in Himself(John5:26).Anyway the bible says 'having eyes but not see'.Also the bible says'ever learning but not able to come to the knowledge of the Truth'(2Timothy3:7).How come you discredit the Bible and then pick some verses in it as your valid proof?Does that not show insincerity and inconsistency?The same Bible full of 'stories' is now proof of prophet Muhammed's status!The Isaiah 29 u quoted,did u read to understand?Instead of just picking a verse,if u had started from verse 10,u would have had a better understanding.That Scripture was not a prophecy about any prophet but a proverb!Moreover was Jesus too not unlearned?
You spoke about being sincere,didn't you?Why don't u open your heart to God so he can show u His light.I pray your heart finds His true Light.(John1:9).
Ma' Salaam.

Check out what the Quran says of Jesus' conception;

And Mary the daughter of ´Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants). Al-Quran 66:12 Yusuf Ali Translation

And Mary, daughter of ´Imran, whose body was chaste, therefor We breathed therein something of Our Spirit. And she put faith in the words of her Lord and His scriptures, and was of the obedient. Pitckhall Translation

So God himself "breathed in" HIS SPIRIT which became Jesus. What does that tell you of the special relationship between Jesus and the Father?

And how did he ascend? The Quran says Nay Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power Wise. 4: 158 Yusuf Ali.

Since he came from God's spirit he was raised back to God abi? straight forward right?

Not so fast; the contrary tafsirs, other conflicting verses, the opinion of Muslim scholars and the excuse of the impossibility of translating full Arabic to English will make your head spin. Just wait for the torrents that is to come because of this my piece grin

Thank God Jesus is not justified by anything else so the Quranic version doesn't mean anything for our beliefs.
Re: Islam And Jesus by tbaba1234: 9:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
The word translated as spirit as Ruh..

If you have read the Quran properly, you will see that all human beings have the Ruh from Allah inside them. The same thing was said of Adam. This is about Adam:

We created man out of dried clay formed from dark mud– the jinn We created before, from the fire of scorching wind. Your Lord said to the angels, ‘I will create a mortal out of dried clay, formed from dark mud.When I have fashioned him and breathed My spirit into him, bow down before him,’(Surah 6:26-29)

The Ruh is from God and it exists inside every human. A Ruh from Allah himself.

i. The Ruh is also a creation from God put into every human otherwise Adam and all of us would be divine as well. It is not exclusive to Jesus.

Stop picking and choosing dude... Be honest with the text.

2 Likes

Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 9:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
tiarabubu:

Dont mind Tbaba and co who try all sorts of linguistic, conjural imaginative gymnastics to force Prophet Muhammad into the very Bible they deride!

Check out what the Quran says of Jesus' conception;

And Mary the daughter of ´Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants). Al-Quran 66:12 Yusuf Ali Translation

And Mary, daughter of ´Imran, whose body was chaste, therefor We breathed therein something of Our Spirit. And she put faith in the words of her Lord and His scriptures, and was of the obedient. Pitckhall Translation

So God himself "breathed in" HIS SPIRIT which became Jesus. What does that tell you of the special relationship between Jesus and the Father?

And how did he ascend? The Quran says Nay Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power Wise. 4: 158 Yusuf Ali.

Since he came from God's spirit he was raised back to God abi? straight forward right?

Not so fast; the contrary tafsirs, other conflicting verses, the opinion of Muslim scholars and the excuse of the impossibility of translating full Arabic to English will make your head spin. Just wait for the torrents that is to come because of this my piece grin

Thank God Jesus is not justified by anything else so the Quranic version doesn't mean anything for our beliefs.

Jesus was born of God's Spirit according to the quran and yet His life is not divine?They wanto accept the part they want and then do without the rest.
For the muslims who desire to know;
Jesus had a mission on the earth which had to do with the redemption of man.He was to carry out that mission as a man and for man.He had to be born as a man while having divine birth.The life of a child is from the father while the mother gives the body.If Jesus had had life from an earthly father,He would not have been qualified so God sent His Spirit.
It's amazing that there is no definite salvation in Islam.When a muslim dies,he will still require salvation even in the grave,many praying for his salvation.
I hope u'll understand God's divine plan for you before u leave the earth.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Jesus by tbaba1234: 10:04pm On Mar 09, 2013
thorpido: I know once you make up your mind to believe what you want to believe,it is difficult to change.Jesus said,'no man cometh unto Me except the Father which hath sent Me draw him'(John4:44).Again He said,'Every man therefore that hath heard,and hath learned of the Father,cometh unto me.(vs 45).Once your mind is made up that it is prophet Muhammed then u won't be convinced except by God.If u say the Scripture does not fit Jesus but fits prophet Muhammed perfectly,so be it for a season.
You say having divine birth does not mean divinity?So what is it then?Adam indeed was called the son of God.Jesus' birth is greater than that of Adam.Adam is called a living soul while Jesus is called a quickening Spirit.
Isaiah 42 u speak about indeed talks about Kedar but there's nowhere it is stated that a prophet is raised from among them.
The so called corruption you speak about concerning the Bible,is just an excuse muslims use.
There are many versions of the Bible and these were done to give better understanding cos the original was in Hebrew and Greek.There's no doubt that may leave room for corruption but that is why u have study bibles to help.

This is what the Quran says of Adam:

We created man out of dried clay formed from dark mud– the jinn We created before, from the fire of scorching wind. Your Lord said to the angels, ‘I will create a mortal out of dried clay, formed from dark mud.When I have fashioned him and breathed My spirit into him, bow down before him,’(Surah 6:26-29)

It does not make him divine either. We ALL have the spirit from God in us. It is not exclusive to anyone.

I really hope christians go into proper study of the bible not the half-baked studies, you guys do. It is my conviction that the more you study the bible, the clearer things become . I am talking about studying cone-greek and hebrew. There is no substitute to real knowledge. I hope more christians take the path of real knowledge into their religion. I have an acquaintance that was supposed to be a pastor, but after studying he didn't. Today He is muslim.

Get a red letter bible without the words of Mathew, mark , luke and John, whoever they are, and read just the 'words of Jesus' alone. If you think of all the messages as a whole not isolated. You can never end up with the conclusion of divinity, besides it makes no sense.

I am not a muslim just because i was born into Islam, in fact, I read most of the bible before i even read the Quran because of the christian influences in my youth. Reading the bible as a message made me doubly sure that christianity was not the way. I have since studied the Quran to a decent degree and i have been mesmerized by this book, so i am talking from a position of some knowledge in both faiths and one who has actually studied Islam a little bit.

Isaiah 42 makes it clear that it is talking about a messenger who is a warrior that will bring peace to the lands... It is very clear. It talks about one, who held his peace for a long time before waging war, one who destroys idolatry. Everything again fits the prophet (peace be upon him).

The corruption of the bible is not so called, it is clear but that is a topic for another day.

Hopefully, something i said will make you think. You can read a translated copy of the Quran here: http://asadullahali.files./2010/09/the_quran.pdf
Re: Islam And Jesus by tbaba1234: 10:10pm On Mar 09, 2013
I wrote this a while back, read and use your common sense. This is my last post. all the best.

Let's agree to use common sense. Please read carefully and reason.

See there are only two options involved in having a son:

i. begotten: The very meaning of which connotes intimate intercourse.

That is ludicrous, so he is not literally the son of God. Now you only other option is that he was adopted.

ii. Adopted

This is also absurd.

Imagine i had a fish bowl and inside the fish bowl is a fish called floppy.

I say to you, this is floppy my son.

You will probably say, that is crazy, it is a fish

I insist that floppy the fish is my son, I have all the adoption papers signed and all. He eats dinner at the table and i have a room for him.

You will probably say: No, that is a fish and you are a human.

Point: You can't adopt a fish as your son, it doesn't have any meaning. You can only adopt something as a son which is like you, a human being.

Historically humans have used the names of these lower animals to insult each other, by calling them names of animals.. Ex: you cow, pig , son of a.... e.t.c.

Why do you think that is the case? This is because you are equating the human to something lower than it. This is considered an insult to most of us.

The point here is that, this is more insulting to God to say that God has a human being as a son. Humans and animals do share a lot of characteristics, we are both needy and finite. we were all born and we will die.

God does not have any of those traits. God is the Opposite of all of these. To equate the creator to having as His son, a human being is actually insulting and has no meaning.

You have another option though, which is a common feature is semetic languages... People are addressed as the fathers of what they love. For instance, in Arabic, a man is called Abu hurayra- father of cats... Basically, one who loves cats. We see that in the bible that many people are called sons of Gods. It simply refers to one that God is pleased with or loves. If you mean that God loves Jesus (Peace and blessings be upon him), i have no problem with that.

However, you can not make a square to be a circle and still remain a square. It makes no sense. The man, Jesus (Peace and blessings be upon him)according to your bible, ate food, got tempted, drank, slept, prayed... This is completely the attribute of a man and the opposite of a self-sufficient God. You can not have a square-triangle. It makes no sense.

On Judgement day, if i stand before God and i am asked " why didn't take Jesus as God or son of God?' > I can say: Oh God, how can i believe the self sufficient creator of all that exists, is a dot on a planet which is a dot on our galaxy which is a dot on the Universe.

It simply makes no sense. If i am condemned to hell, i will never for a second think justice was done..

If you are asked: Why did you reduce the Creator of the heavens and the earth to a man?.... What excuse do you have?? What can you possibly say??

A common christian contention is that: Oh well God can do anything...

And i ask : Can God tell lies

The Christian would probably say: He can but he would not do that.

And i say: Exactly, God does not do things that do not befit his majesty. Humans lie and have children. It is an attribute of Humans not of God. God is by definition self sufficient, Humans are not..

God having a son is an absurdity, it makes no sense. It is a square-triangle.

Common sense tells us that a thing can not be its opposite. A self God can not be a needy man at the same tim,e.It makes no sense and it is not
possible. Are you willing to stake your fate on something so irrational n improbable? Something you have no proof of?

Re: Islam And Jesus by tiarabubu: 10:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
tbaba1234:

The word translated as spirit as Ruh..

If you have read the Quran properly, you will see that all human beings have the Ruh from Allah inside them. The same thing was said of Adam. This is about Adam:

The Ruh is from God and it exists inside every human. A Ruh from Allah himself.

i. The Ruh is also a creation from God put into every human otherwise Adam and all of us would be divine as well. It is not exclusive to Jesus.

Stop picking and choosing dude... Be honest with the text.

GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hooked onto the bait I set for you. You guys are EXACTLY doing what I illustrated with Al-Quran 66:12 and 4: 158. You cherry pick your verses to illustrate some conjured up position just like I demonstrated. Stop picking and choosing dude... Be honest with the text

How does it feel? grin
Re: Islam And Jesus by tiarabubu: 10:55pm On Mar 09, 2013
tbaba1234:

Isaiah 42 makes it clear that it is talking about a messenger who is a warrior that will bring peace to the lands... It is very clear. It talks about one, who held his peace for a long time before waging war, one who destroys idolatry. Everything again fits the prophet (peace be upon him).
The corruption of the bible is not so called, it is clear but that is a topic for another day.

Then why are you trying to find prophet Muhammad in it (Bible)? What moral justification do you have to seek validation of your prophet from it? With one breath you conjure Muhammad in the Bible and in another you say it (Bible) is corrupt.

Please! You are just something else. shocked

My advice; concentrate on dawah for your brothers, some of whom I hear just killed 7 foreign hostages justifying it with a healthy quote from the Quran.

Have a nice week.

1 Like

Re: Islam And Jesus by tintingz(m): 6:21am On Mar 10, 2013
thorpido: Jesus was born of God's Spirit according to the quran and yet His life is not divine?They wanto accept the part they want and then do without the rest.
For the muslims who desire to know;
Jesus had a mission on the earth which had to do with the redemption of man.He was to carry out that mission as a man and for man.He had to be born as a man while having divine birth.The life of a child is from the father while the mother gives the body.If Jesus had had life from an earthly father,He would not have been qualified so God sent His Spirit.
It's amazing that there is no definite salvation in Islam.When a muslim dies,he will still require salvation even in the grave,many praying for his salvation.
I hope u'll understand God's divine plan for you before u leave the earth.
Salvation only come from God not from a human being like Jesus(as). . . .there is nothing like Adamic sin or original sin it is all FRAUD and LIES even the jews rejected the saying of God turning to a man and pay for the whole mankind sin? Why cant he just forgive sins of those who call on him instead he had to die on a jewish cross or stake whatever it is...the old testament is clear about dying for others sins...

Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin. Deuteronomy 24:16

I keep wondering if the God in old testament bible is different from the God in new testament bible?
Re: Islam And Jesus by tintingz(m): 6:31am On Mar 10, 2013
I guess Adam should also be call God/god grin grin
He was not even brea;st feeded like the bible god grin

1 Like

Re: Islam And Jesus by vedaxcool(m): 11:16am On Mar 10, 2013
Tirabubu got served!
Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 1:13pm On Mar 10, 2013
tintingz: I guess Adam should also be call God/god grin grin
He was not even brea;st feeded like the bible god grin
And you don't know Adam was god?
Re: Islam And Jesus by Geewan(m): 6:44pm On Mar 12, 2013
thorpido: And you don't know Adam was god?

If Adam was god, jesus was god and thorpido is god I have no problem with that.
Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 6:54pm On Mar 12, 2013
Geewan:

If Adam was god, jesus was god and thorpido is god I have no problem with that.
yes we are because God made it so.His design is to create us in His own image.
However we were all born with the human life which had to do with an intercourse.Jesus was however not born as a product of intercourse.His life came from God and that means He was not born with human life.
Even the quran says so.
The bible says,'and the light shineth in the darkness and the darkness comprehended it not'(John1:5).
Re: Islam And Jesus by tintingz(m): 10:12pm On Mar 12, 2013
^ so also Adam...
Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 7:30am On Mar 13, 2013
tintingz: ^ so also Adam...
Adam received the breath of God and he became a living soul.Jesus is however God's sent Spirit and there is a difference.Jesus said,'Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me?(John14:10).Again He said,At that day ye shall know that I am in My Father(John14:20).Do you understand these Scriptures?

Show me a prophet who ever used these kinds of words.
Re: Islam And Jesus by Herbiodun09: 6:15pm On Mar 13, 2013
your question is like asking if your great grand father had knowledge of you

thorpido: Prophet Muhammed was born many years after Jesus was born.
Re: Islam And Jesus by Herbiodun09: 6:17pm On Mar 13, 2013
Jesus talked in parables... Only for the wise ones to understand. All you interpret is plain English text.

The Purpose of Parables

10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”

11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:

‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should[a] heal them.’[b]
[i][/i]

I guess you only hear and dont understand.

thorpido: Adam received the breath of God and he became a living soul.Jesus is however God's sent Spirit and there is a difference.Jesus said,'Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me?(John14:10).Again He said,At that day ye shall know that I am in My Father(John14:20).Do you understand these Scriptures?

Show me a prophet who ever used these kinds of words.
Re: Islam And Jesus by thorpido(m): 9:53pm On Mar 13, 2013
Herbiodun09: Jesus talked in parables... Only for the wise ones to understand. All you interpret is plain English text.

The Purpose of Parables

10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”

11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:

‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should[a] heal them.’[b]
[i][/i]

I guess you only hear and dont understand.

I laughed when I saw this.I wish u would know u fall under the category of the people Jesus addressed.The quran says He was not born of natural birth and they don't know the implication of that.

Having eyes but do not see indeed.

(1) (Reply)

81 Ways To Win Your Wife's Love / In Response To The West Description Of Islamic Paradise / How Muslims Should Respond to Hatred Comments On The Prophet (SAW).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.