Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Life (and Business) Lessons From The Manchester United – Real Madrid Match - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Life (and Business) Lessons From The Manchester United – Real Madrid Match (693 Views)

Business Lessons To Learn From Don Jazzy And Olamide Beef / 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers / 5 Imporatant Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Life (and Business) Lessons From The Manchester United – Real Madrid Match by tholuosa2: 1:06pm On Mar 07, 2013
[size=14pt]LIFE (and BUSINESS) LESSONS FROM THE MANCHESTER UNITED – REAL MADRID MATCH[/size]

Like any true Manchester United fan, I am still distraught!
The Champions League loss against Real Madrid is still very raw, and as painful as it could ever get! No doubt there are many opinions and beliefs on what could have been and what not - with some (like my cousin) stating that this is ‘Karma’ for United – I have however, decidedly moved past the game, particularly the right or wrong of that ‘Red Card’.

Having seen the game come and gone, and following some mental reviews, I realized that the game had something else – life lessons. This led me to further consider and dig deeper into the events of the match, the end result of which is presented below as life and business lessons.

1.) Study your Opponent: In life we must all ensure that we study our opponents well, actually very well. In the real sense of it, an opponent is a thing you need to succeed against or in; it could be your job, a project, or a competitor. The onus lies on you and me to take time to know what makes our opponents tick – the strong and weak points. In the match in question Sir Alex showed that he had studied his opponent (Real Madrid) well. In studying your opponent, never be ashamed of asking for help from those who may know or have overcome your present opponent (there is a rumour that Sir Alex asked Malaga on how to beat Madrid).

2.) Have a Plan: This could never be overemphasized. The essence of knowing your opponent is to design or adapt a plan to ensure your own success. In crafting a plan, you will go most probably go through a lot of iterations, however the essential and overriding focus of the plan must be on exploring your opponent’s weaknesses and protecting yourself against their strengths.

3.) Execute Well: Your plan will be for all purposes useless if you cannot implement the contents of the plan as stated. Thus, there must be no complacency in execution. The plan does only 40% of the job for you, the rest 60% will only come from proper execution and detailing.

4.) Utilize the Right Resource(s): In a bid to properly execute a plan, one must only utilize the right resources suited for the plan! We all need to understand that the most experienced resource persons may not implement the plan well. As the buck stops at your table, you must carefully decide in the best interests of your success, only putting forward the resource(s) who will deliver your plan as conceived. Of course this is about dropping Rooney; Rooney lovers may think that leaving him out was a faux pas, but the firts 56mins of play proved otherwise. To business owners, CEOs and the likes; perhaps the project you have now would be handled better by a younger staff who is not yet a manager – his/her drive and youth may make the difference.

5.) Rules are RULES: The world is dominated and controlled rules and regulations. Rules that have been set or written will be applied on you, be it fair or not! While not counting out the possibility of exceptions, it is obvious that you cannot plan on exceptions. We will all do well to take note and be cognisant of all applicable and extant rules guiding our endeavours, making adjustments and guarding ourselves against running afoul of the rules.

6.) Always Have Contingency Plans: Notwithstanding how rosy things seem or appear to be going, we all need to ensure that we have another plan to take on contingent situations and surprises. Creating this plan ahead of time does help prepare and ensure that one has a strong chance of overcoming any eventuality. Creating this plan practically involves tweaking the present plan to “what if” scenarios and being able to compensate for possible and probable occurrences.

7.) Recover Quickly and Focus on Success: Irrespective of what happens to you, you must recover quickly, best if you do so instantly. You must never allow situations, challenges and disappointments control or immobilize you! The essence of having a plan ahead is to be able to react immediately.
Also, we must ensure, regardless of what happens to us, that our focus is kept on success and success alone! My dear Manchester United players and Sir Alex robbed themselves and the fans by feeling letdown and cheated for over 12 minutes. Their seethed anger and disappointment ensured they lost the game during critical moments. A major way of ensuring that we focus on success is by banishing a sense of entitlement from within – the players felt that Manchester United was entitled to having the red card incident in their favour. Please know today that you are not entitled to something until it is completely yours.

1 Like

Re: Life (and Business) Lessons From The Manchester United – Real Madrid Match by librajk(m): 4:10pm On Mar 07, 2013
Nigga you got time on your hands to write this men!
Re: Life (and Business) Lessons From The Manchester United – Real Madrid Match by tholuosa2: 2:15am On Mar 09, 2013
It's all about inspiration dude, I am hoping this could help someone focus and achieve success.

(1) (Reply)

Here Is My Secret To Financial Freedom. You Shall Testify If You Follow My Step / Samoa Air Implements 'pay As You Weigh' Flights / Lee Follender To Train At Ppld Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.