Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Silly Grammatical Errors - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Silly Grammatical Errors (1520 Views)

10 silly Things Bosses Say When They Fire People / 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand / Avoiding Silly Interview Mistakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Silly Grammatical Errors by darqly(m): 9:04pm On Mar 08, 2013
Hello people, I thoroughly enjoyed this and thought it might be useful wink

As easy as these mistakes are to make, they are also easy to catch. Luckily, they are also easy to fix!
When applying for a job, pitching an idea, communicating with a client, or selling a prospect, the smallest mistakes can kill the deal. Not only will you look unprofessional and careless, you could also look dumb!

I often get pitched ideas for a new business, but my perception of the person behind a potentially great idea might be completely thrown off if that person makes a dumb grammar mistake in an email. How can you expect me to think of you as a professional if you can’t take the time to double check your grammar? Or maybe you simply don’t know the write (got you!) rules.

With the number of emails we send every day, it’s now more important than ever to double check what we are sending. I’ve highlighted a few of the most common errors people make, all of which should be avoided.

1. You’re vs. Your
You are = You’re. For example, “You’re officially part of the club. Congratulations!”
Related to you = Your. For example, “Thank you. Your efforts have undeniably increased our revenue stream”

Biggest common mistake: Your welcome. Should be You’re welcome!

2. They’re vs. Their vs. There
They are = They’re. For example: “They’re joining us for dinner Friday evening, so be sure and purchase enough red and white wine for the entire group”
Belonging to them = Their. For example: “Their dedication was simply remarkable, and I would work with them again in a heartbeat”
Regarding a location = There. For example: “I will leave the envelope over there”

3. Lose vs. Loose

Opposite of win = Lose. For example: “I have a feeling the Bulls are going to lose this game”
Opposite of tight = Loose. For example: “Please fix the loose handle immediately”

4. It’s vs. Its

Short for it is or it has = It’s. For example: “This is going to change the way we view this industry. It’s earth-shattering!”

Possessive form of it = Its. For example: “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on” - Winston Churchill

5. Effect vs. Affect

A result = Effect. For example: “The lighting had a major effect on productivity levels. With more natural light in the room, employees appear more inspired”

To influence = Affect. For example: “The new HR team is affecting employees’ motivation, and the feedback we have been receiving is overwhelmingly positive!”
6. Alot
This word does not exist What you are trying to say is “a lot” for example, maybe you have a lot of marketing experience. Additionally, it is unprofessional. Try replacing this with words like “ample” or “x years of marketing experience”. 

7. Then vs. Than
Time related =Then. For example: “We are looking forward to meeting you then”
Comparison related =Than. For example: “I much prefer to meet in my area, rather than yours, as mine has a wide variety of restaurants and coffee shops”
Saying “I have more to offer then that” to an investor won’t lead to your next round of funding. 

Save this guide. Reference it. Don’t let being in a rush make you look like a fool. Edit your work, or ask someone else to glance at it for you. These errors may seem insignificant, but your intelligence will be questioned when these mistakes are discovered...and they will be.

What common mistakes do you see? Does it change your perception of the person that made them? Please comment below.

Ilya Ponzin
Source-https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130304153126-5799319-common-grammar-mistakes-that-make-you-look-dumb?_mSplash=1&sessionid=tEQEl4aWr9ss6CfDoESW

1 Like

Re: Silly Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 08, 2013
Good one
Re: Silly Grammatical Errors by sheedy407(m): 9:26pm On Mar 08, 2013
I kno since na abi u dey try insult nairaland say we no go school?
Re: Silly Grammatical Errors by samnuhubaba: 8:00pm On Mar 09, 2013
Your insights on grammatical errors made by professionals is indeed remarkable. cheesy
Re: Silly Grammatical Errors by ChemicalReaction(f): 1:13pm On Jan 08, 2017
And why hasn't this article been featured on FP since 2013??
cc lalasticlala, seun, mynd44
Re: Silly Grammatical Errors by andicod1st(m): 5:53pm On Jan 08, 2017
I didn't think the OP would leave out this one that is very common.. "Am" instead of "I'm or I am"
Re: Silly Grammatical Errors by rerhji(m): 8:31pm On Jan 08, 2017
ChemicalReaction:
And why hasn't this article been featured on FP since 2013??

cc lalasticlala, seun, mynd44
u knw wat lalasticlala de forward na
Re: Silly Grammatical Errors by ayanbaba2(m): 1:32pm On Jan 09, 2017
nice and educative!!!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Govt To Revive 12 Moribund Fertilizer Plants / Become Chartered In Public Relations In Just One Year / Online MPH/Dev Mgt: The Way Forward For My Career - Your Views Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.