Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,046 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand (1192 Views)

15 Common Habits That Can Damage Your Kidneys. / 8 Biggest Career Mistakes That People Make In Their 20s / Silly Grammatical Errors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand by oriloko: 10:23am On Jan 04, 2014
The way people view you is your brand, your image. Your brand can be enhanced or damaged. It’s up to you.
As a person of influence, you can’t afford to leave your image to chance. Credibility, another word for brand, is like a road which is yet to be tarred.
Without a drainage system, the untarred road wears off during the raining season.
And gets ugly.
Grammatical mistakes are the erosion that eats into the exposed solidity of your brand. They can damage you beyond what you’ll ever know. You’re the brand.
In this post we’ll be exposing only eight of these common grammatical mistakes.
So let’s get down to business.
1. ‘’We go to school everyday.’’ Used in spoken English, you can go away with it. But in written English, it’s wrong. For something you do day by day, it should be ‘’every day’’ (two words). ‘’We go to school every day.’’ ‘’As a kid, I used to go to church every day.’’

‘’Every day’’ is an adverb of time.

But ‘’everyday” (one word) is an adjective. Adjectives, as you may have known, qualify a noun or nouns. It’s correct to say: ‘’This is an everyday affair.’’ ‘’This is an everyday issue which needs to be addressed.’’

Got the difference now? Cool.

2. ‘’He was instrumental to my success.’’ This is a common error that almost everybody makes these days. The correct sentence should have been: ‘’He was instrumental in my success.’’ The word ‘’instrumental’’ goes with (collocates with) the preposition ‘’in’’.

I can guess where the error flows from. Because it’s correct to say ‘’That drug is detrimental to your health,’’ we think that since ‘’detrimental’’ goes with ‘’to’’, then instrumental should also go with ‘’to’’.

Wrong. Doesn’t work that way, friend.

3. ‘’This is what I do on daily basis.’’ [/b]If a singular noun is used, make sure it is preceded by determinants like ‘’a’’, ‘’an’’, ‘’the’’, ‘’my’’, etc. The correct sentence is: ‘’This is what I do on [b]a daily basis.’’

The article ‘’a’’ can’t be ignored. Likewise you can’t write: ‘’I’ve got headache.’’ Or ‘’Don’t make noise.’’
Here’re the correct versions: ‘’I’ve got a headache.’’/ ‘’Don’t make a noise.’’
4. [b]''What does that suppose to mean?'' [/b]This is a common enough mistake. Two things are wrong with the sentence. First, the word ‘’does’’ should read ‘’is’’ while ‘’suppose’’ should be ‘’supposed’’. The correct sentence, then, is: ‘’What is that supposed to mean?’’
The word ‘’supposed’’ is an adjective. Adjectives are not used with the verbs ‘’do’’, ‘’does’’ ‘’did’’. They go with ‘’is’’, ‘’are’’, and ‘’were’’.

I hope that’s clear, isn’t it? Come on, let’s go.

5. ‘’The president doesn’t understand what the average/ordinary man on the street feels.’’ [/b]The phrase ‘’average/ordinary man on the street’’ is supposed to be an idiom. But it’s been torn apart here. There’s nothing like that in English.

English idioms are fixed in form. You can’t alter them and go scot-free. The correct sentence is: ‘’The president doesn’t understand what the man in the street feels.’’

You can see there’s nothing like ‘’average’’ or ‘’ordinary’’. There’s nothing like ‘’on the street’’ in the idiom
6. [b]''This is a matured girl, isn’t she?''
Many of us run into an error when it comes to the use of adjectives that look like verbs. The correct sentence, friend, is: ‘’This is a mature girl, isn’t she?’’

Words like ‘’mature’’, ‘’secure’’, ‘’opportune’’, etc. are adjectives. Instead of writing ‘’a secured fence’’ write: ‘’a secure fence.’’ Instead of ‘’an opportuned moment’’, it should be ‘’an opportune moment.’’

Yes, I know you may also use these words in a verbal sense, e.g. ‘’The girl has matured.’’ ‘’We have secured the gate.’’

7. ''How are we going to cough out that sum of money?'' This is wrong. The standard expression is ‘’cough up.’’ So, the correct sentence is: ‘’How are we going to cough up that sum of money?’’
8. ''You can’t eat your cake and have it!'' I know you’re surprised to see that your beloved expression is wrong.
Sorry.

The correct proverb is: ‘’You can’t have your cake and eat it!’’

That’s how the native speakers of English use it. Look it up in your dictionary, guy.

This is a new year. Guard your personal brand. One of the ways you can do this is reading quality content to develop yourself.

You’re a person of influence. Don’t take your life with levity.

© www.writingwellpro.com

1 Like

Re: 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand by fr3do(m): 10:40am On Jan 04, 2014
This is a Create-a-problem-then-provide-the-solution article
Re: 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand by akposking(m): 10:48am On Jan 04, 2014
Nice one.
Re: 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand by SexyLadyJ: 10:51am On Jan 04, 2014
oriloko: The way people view you is your brand, your image. Your brand can be enhanced or damaged. It’s up to you.
As a person of influence, you can’t afford to leave your image to chance. Credibility, another word for brand, is like a road which is yet to be tarred.
Without a drainage system, the untarred road wears off during the raining season.
And gets ugly.
Grammatical mistakes are the erosion that eats into the exposed solidity of your brand. They can damage you beyond what you’ll ever know. You’re the brand.
In this post we’ll be exposing only eight of these common grammatical mistakes.
So let’s get down to business.
1. ‘’We go to school everyday.’’ Used in spoken English, you can go away with it. But in written English, it’s wrong. For something you do day by day, it should be ‘’every day’’ (two words). ‘’We go to school every day.’’ ‘’As a kid, I used to go to church every day.’’

‘’Every day’’ is an adverb of time.

But ‘’everyday” (one word) is an adjective. Adjectives, as you may have known, qualify a noun or nouns. It’s correct to say: ‘’This is an everyday affair.’’ ‘’This is an everyday issue which needs to be addressed.’’

Got the difference now? Cool.

2. ‘’He was instrumental to my success.’’ This is a common error that almost everybody makes these days. The correct sentence should have been: ‘’He was instrumental in my success.’’ The word ‘’instrumental’’ goes with (collocates with) the preposition ‘’in’’.

I can guess where the error flows from. Because it’s correct to say ‘’That drug is detrimental to your health,’’ we think that since ‘’detrimental’’ goes with ‘’to’’, then instrumental should also go with ‘’to’’.

Wrong. Doesn’t work that way, friend.

3. ‘’This is what I do on daily basis.’’ [/b]If a singular noun is used, make sure it is preceded by determinants like ‘’a’’, ‘’an’’, ‘’the’’, ‘’my’’, etc. The correct sentence is: ‘’This is what I do on [b]a daily basis.’’

The article ‘’a’’ can’t be ignored. Likewise you can’t write: ‘’I’ve got headache.’’ Or ‘’Don’t make noise.’’
Here’re the correct versions: ‘’I’ve got a headache.’’/ ‘’Don’t make a noise.’’
4. [b]''What does that suppose to mean?'' [/b]This is a common enough mistake. Two things are wrong with the sentence. First, the word ‘’does’’ should read ‘’is’’ while ‘’suppose’’ should be ‘’supposed’’. The correct sentence, then, is: ‘’What is that supposed to mean?’’
The word ‘’supposed’’ is an adjective. Adjectives are not used with the verbs ‘’do’’, ‘’does’’ ‘’did’’. They go with ‘’is’’, ‘’are’’, and ‘’were’’.

I hope that’s clear, isn’t it? Come on, let’s go.

5. ‘’The president doesn’t understand what the average/ordinary man on the street feels.’’ [/b]The phrase ‘’average/ordinary man on the street’’ is supposed to be an idiom. But it’s been torn apart here. There’s nothing like that in English.

English idioms are fixed in form. You can’t alter them and go scot-free. The correct sentence is: ‘’The president doesn’t understand what the man in the street feels.’’

You can see there’s nothing like ‘’average’’ or ‘’ordinary’’. There’s nothing like ‘’on the street’’ in the idiom
6. [b]''This is a matured girl, isn’t she?''
Many of us run into an error when it comes to the use of adjectives that look like verbs. The correct sentence, friend, is: ‘’This is a mature girl, isn’t she?’’

Words like ‘’mature’’, ‘’secure’’, ‘’opportune’’, etc. are adjectives. Instead of writing ‘’a secured fence’’ write: ‘’a secure fence.’’ Instead of ‘’an opportuned moment’’, it should be ‘’an opportune moment.’’

Yes, I know you may also use these words in a verbal sense, e.g. ‘’The girl has matured.’’ ‘’We have secured the gate.’’

7. ''How are we going to cough out that sum of money?'' This is wrong. The standard expression is ‘’cough up.’’ So, the correct sentence is: ‘’How are we going to cough up that sum of money?’’
8. ''You can’t eat your cake and have it!'' I know you’re surprised to see that your beloved expression is wrong.
Sorry.

The correct proverb is: ‘’You can’t have your cake and eat it!’’

That’s how the native speakers of English use it. Look it up in your dictionary, guy.

This is a new year. Guard your personal brand. One of the ways you can do this is reading quality content to develop yourself.

You’re a person of influence. Don’t take your life with levity.

© www.writingwellpro.com

hmmmm........!!!!! En.........gli..........sh........................
Re: 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand by Jayclinics(m): 2:36pm On Jan 04, 2014
I don't care for all these things since i was a kid this is how English has being changing. You will learn something today, wake up the next day to hear another teacher tell you it is wrong.
English is not my mother's tongue, any how wey i take sabi am dat one don do for me
Re: 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand by kemiola89(f): 1:09pm On Jan 05, 2014
No 8 is a common mistake most people make. Nice one @OP
Re: 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 05, 2014
Most people here make one or two of these mistakes esp.6 and 8.....nice one op
Re: 8 Common Grammatical Mistakes That Can Damage Your Brand by Serendipity: 1:06pm On Jan 06, 2014
With regard to ''noise'' there, I think you can say 'Don't make noise, without a determiner because noise can be countable and also uncountable.

(1) (Reply)

Job Interview Questions And Answers Series (1) / HSE Or PROJECT MANAGEMENT Which Do I Go For? / Meet The Boy Who Built A Car In Mubende- (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.