Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market (5326 Views)

Agatu Massacre: Victims Accuse Buhari’s Govt Of Insensitivity - VANGUARD / Buhari Team Accuse Ambassador Joy Ogwu Of Sabotage / PDP Accuses INEC, APC Of Burning Non-indigenes' Pvcs In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by Aphrygian(m): 2:52pm On Mar 09, 2013
gbadexy: Have you even seen where wood shavings burn? It is extremely difficult to burnt it.
What you will have is lots of smoke and it certainly doesn't spread well.
Also most of the planks at plank markets are still wet wood. You would ask specifically to get dry wood that has been cut and left to dry out over a period of time.
its not impossible for the wood shavings and planks to burn but I feel it would need to be accelerated to burn it fast.
wen el rufai said nigerian youths are dullards i disagreed,but people like you are always proving him right.do you no dat a saw dust is a source of fuel?due to the low surface area it can be easily dried and can catch fire easily.AWAITING UR REACTION
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by gbadexy(m): 3:33pm On Mar 09, 2013
^
You really thought you have given an intelligent response and you even had the audacity to call ♍ƺ dull!
I was being pragmatic and not giving stupid theory.
Have you experienced wood shavings burn? I have several times, we tried using it to fill •̸Ϟ•̸y area and it became a nuisance instead.
If you are old enough you will know about abacha stove that people experimented with due to kerosene scarcity and it basically is the use of wood shavings as fuel but the smoke was too much.
For your information, I did a fire retardant paint years back, tested it at the lagos state and federal fire service and also at lagos state material testing laboratory and I experimented on the mechanism of burning of wood and went to plank market to source for dry wood to use for •̸Ϟ•̸y presentation and I walked around quite a bit to get dry woods.
So young boy, try and engage your mind properly and get adequate facts before challenging someone and you need to do so without insults!
By the way, a substance with a low surface area would be a bad source of combustion/reaction, I think what you wanted to say is that wood shavings have high surface area for reaction but it yields mostly smoke and doesn't burn with open flame.
You will thank ♍ƺ someday for this brotherly advice.

2 Likes

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by kulex2k1(m): 3:42pm On Mar 09, 2013
Le Ostrich:

The humidity won't be a problem if arson involving additional flammable solvents are added.

I can imagine how the market will be, with wet wood shavings and mud from the constant daily rains and high humidity.

These markets have existed long before your apocalyptic warnings.

So please just shut up and think before you post more rubbish

Just hear urself talk! guess u'll b clapping for urself dat u just made some sense... Sorry!

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by brownlolly(m): 3:49pm On Mar 09, 2013
No insurance?
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by LeOstrich: 4:10pm On Mar 09, 2013
kulex2k1:

Just hear urself talk! guess u'll b clapping for urself dat u just made some sense... Sorry!

ode

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by mychaella(f): 4:19pm On Mar 09, 2013
did these people never hear of spontaneous combustion? With this heat wave, I bet even wet grass would catch fire. How much more piles of wood and saw dust.
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by nenepea(f): 5:11pm On Mar 09, 2013
talktimi: Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three time is ......
I no talk anything o, but I believe traders in Nigeria should start thinking about insurance.
wrell said...
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by UnknownMember: 8:19pm On Mar 09, 2013
A dust explosion is the fast combustion of dust particles suspended in the air in an enclosed location. Coal dust explosions are a frequent hazard in underground coal mines, but dust explosions can occur where any powdered combustible material is present in an enclosed atmosphere.
Contents  [hide] 
1 Conditions for dust explosion
1.1 Sources of dust
1.2 Sources of ignition
1.3 Concentration
2 Mechanism of dust explosions
3 Terminology
4 Protection and Mitigation from dust explosions
5 See also
6 References
7 External links
[edit]Conditions for dust explosion

There are four necessary conditions for a dust explosion or deflagration:
A combustible dust
The dust is suspended in the air at a high concentration
There is an oxidant (typically atmospheric oxygen)
There is an ignition source[1]
[edit]Sources of dust

1878 Stereograph rendering of the Great Mill Disaster.
Many materials which are commonly known to oxidise can generate a dust explosion, such as coal, sawdust, and magnesium. However, many otherwise mundane materials can also lead to a dangerous dust cloud such as grain, flour, sugar, powdered milk and pollen. Many powdered metals (such as aluminium and titanium) can form explosive suspensions in air.
The dust can arise from activities such as transporting grain and indeed grain silos do regularly have explosions. Mining of coal leads to coal dust and flour mills likewise have large amounts of flour dust as a result of milling. A gigantic explosion of flour dust destroyed a mill in Minnesota on May 2nd, 1878, killing 18 workers at the Washburn A Mill. A similar problem occurs in saw mills and other places dedicated to carpentry. Thermobaric weapons, depending upon their fuel, are also a potential and intentional source of dust.
To support combustion, the dust must also consist of very small particles with a high surface area to volume ratio, thereby making the collective or combined surface area of all the particles very large in comparison to a dust of larger particles. Dust is defined as powders with particles less than about 500 micrometres in diameter, but finer dust will present a much greater hazard than coarse particles by virtue of the larger total surface area of all the particles.
[edit]Sources of ignition
There are many sources of ignition and a naked flame need not be the only one: over one half of the dust explosions in Germany in 2005 were from non-flame sources.[2] Common sources of ignition include
electrostatic discharge
friction
arcing from machinery or other equipment;
hot surfaces, including e.g. overheated bearings
fire
However it is often difficult to determine the exact source of ignition post-explosion. When a source cannot be found, it will often be cited as static electricity. Static charges can occur by friction at the surfaces of particles as they move against one another, and build up to levels leading to a sudden discharge to earth.
[edit]Concentration
Below a certain value, the lower explosive limit (LEL),[2] there is simply insufficient dust to support the combustion at the rate required for an explosion. A figure 20% lower than the LEL is considered safe. Similarly, if the fuel/air ratio increases above the upper explosive limit there is insufficient oxidant to permit combustion to continue at the necessary rate.
[edit]Mechanism of dust explosions

Dusts have a very large surface area compared to their mass. Since burning can only occur at the surface of a solid or liquid, where it can react with oxygen, this causes dusts to be much more flammable than bulk materials. For example, a 1 kg sphere of a material with a density of 1g/cm3 would be about 27 cm across and have a surface area of 0.3 m2. However, if it was broken up into spherical dust particles 50µm in diameter (about the size of flour particles) it would have a surface area of 60 m² This greatly increased surface area allows the material to burn much faster, and the extremely small mass of each particle allows it to catch on fire with much less energy than the bulk material, as there is no heat loss to conduction within the material. When this mixture of fuel and air is ignited, especially in a confined space such as a warehouse or silo, a significant increase in pressure is created, often more than sufficient to demolish the structure. Even materials that are traditionally thought of as nonflammable, such as aluminum, or slow burning, such as wood, can produce a powerful explosion when finely divided, and can be ignited by even a small spark.
[edit]Terminology

Dust explosions may be classified as being either primary or secondary in nature. Primary dust explosions occur inside process plant or similar enclosures and are generally controlled by pressure relief through purpose-built ducting to atmosphere. Secondary dust explosions are the result of dust accumulation inside the factory being disturbed and ignited by the primary explosion, resulting in a much more dangerous uncontrolled explosion inside the workplace. Historically, fatalities from dust explosions have largely been the result of secondary dust explosions.
High speed video of a primary dust explosion may be viewed here and a secondary dust explosion may be viewed here.
[edit]Protection and Mitigation from dust explosions

Mount Mulligan mine disaster in Australia 1921. These cable drums were blown 50 feet (15 m) from their foundations following a coal dust explosion.
Much research has been carried out in Europe and elsewhere to understand how to control these dangers, but explosions still occur. The alternatives for making processes and plants safer depend on the industry. In the coal mining industry, a methane explosion can initiate a coal dust explosion, which can then engulf an entire pit working. Stone dust is spread along mine roadways, or suspended from trays in the roof, so as to dilute the coal dust raised ahead of the combustion zone by the shock wave, to the point where it cannot burn. Mines may also be sprayed with water to inhibit ignition. Some industries exclude air from dust-raising processes, known as "inerting". Typically this uses nitrogen, carbon dioxide or argon, which are incombustible gases and so inhibit combustion. The same method is also used in large storage tanks where inflammable vapours can accumulate. Usage of oxygen-free gases however brings a risk of asphyxiation of the workers.
Good housekeeping practices, namely eliminating the build-up of deposits of combustible dust that may be disturbed and lead to a secondary explosion, also help mitigating the problem.
Best engineering control measures which can be found in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Combustible Dust Standards include:
Oxidant Concentration Reduction
Deflagration venting
Deflagration pressure containment
Deflagration suppression
Deflagration venting through a dust retention and flame-arresting device
[edit]See also

Air to fuel ratio
Coal dust
Combustion
Flour bomb
Explosion vent
[edit]References

^ http://esf.uvm.edu/sirippt/prevdustex/index.htm
^ a b !StaubEx_0805_e.pdf
[edit]External links

For stories about incidents in France and the USA see
csb.gov various completed investigations from the Chemical Safety Board
Combustible Dust Policy Institute-ATEX
OSHA case studies of dust explosions
For information on how to protect a process plants and grain handling facilities from the risk of dust hazard explosions, see
Dust Explosions - The Dangers, and The Precautions Needed To Avoid Them
Hazard Monitoring Equipment - Selection, Installation and Maintenance
Seminars for Combustible Dust Safety
Categories: Chemical processesExplosionsHazardsIndustrial fires and explosions
Navigation menu
Create accountLog inArticleTalkReadEditView history
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by jmaine: 8:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
kulex2k1:

LOL cheesy
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by UnknownMember: 8:21pm On Mar 09, 2013
I posted this from my iPad and could conveniently edit it..

Wikipedia DUST EXPLOSIONS.

this might just give another view outside of arson.
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by Malawian(m): 10:09pm On Mar 09, 2013
so it happens that just when the government began to eye the market that this inferno happened? exactly what happened in tejuosho market? abegi leave stori for tortoise jare. now "bakassi boys" have been removed from ladipo, make all those igbo trader begin find where to keep moni o. una go need to start all over again very soon. a tuo ru omara, omara, a tuo ru ofeke, ofeke efelu jebe .....

1 Like

Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by blackbeau1(f): 10:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
Hmmmmm.its a pity really but since I have no evidence that the Government is behind it,I'll just keep my mouth shut.
Re: Traders Accuse Govt. Of Burning Ketu Market by djustice: 12:12am On Mar 10, 2013
The traders are right. These ACN people are pure evil incarnate. All that always seems to be on their minds is how to get more and more of public property into their pockets. Tejuosho, Makoko, Gbaja, and many others, now this?

It's way too much to be coincidence now. Those who say it's a coincidence are stupid beyond redemption, or they want us to be stupid beyond redempion. Perhaps that's why they keep raising cost of education all over their states, and keep closing down educational institutions. I digress.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Evidence Of 1000 Snipers revealed / “transfer Northern Cps Out Of South-east” – Igbo Leaders Of Thought Demand / Breaking News:Its Indeed Crying Times For Rivers State House Of Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.