Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / . (1988 Views)

I Graduated Wit CGPA 2.47 On A 5.00 Scale In Mech Engr.can I Do PGD Wit My Grade / Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? / Should I Leave My Good Job In The Uk For A Job In 9ja. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by sholay2011(m): 9:48pm On Mar 09, 2013

1 Like

Re: . by chax100(f): 10:13pm On Mar 09, 2013
Let me start by saying, congratulations on your first-class, I know what it takes to be a first-class student. People will always expect much from you. But, if I were you, I would have remain in academics. Apply to your department for the post of a graduate assistance and contribute to the your own quota to our educational sector. I wish all the best to you in your endeavours. Cheers!
Re: . by sholay2011(m): 10:24pm On Mar 09, 2013
chax100: Let me start by saying, congratulations on your first-class, I know what it takes to be a first-class student. People will always expect much from you. But, if I were you, I would have remain in academics. Apply to your department for the post of a graduate assistance and contribute to the your own quota to our educational sector. I wish all the best to you in your endeavours. Cheers!

Hmm...thanks for the advice. People should keep them coming...
Re: . by violent(m): 11:28pm On Mar 09, 2013
You have to ask yourself what you live for. The moment you model your life around other people's expectation and standards, that moment you set yourself up for a big crash. Damn everyone! Just live your life! In the end, the decisions you make is what determines how far you'd go in life. Why do you care if a lot of people get disappointed anyway? What are you? the world's granny? Regardless of what you do, someone's always going to be sad anyway, you might as well just do what you want and damn whoever is having nightmares over the the things you have chosen to do with your life.

You should also grow some ballz and do something about your self confidence. Neither your dad nor his friends nor yours will be paying your bills in a couple of years to come, so why must you let them make your decisions for you?

When i was a teenager, my dad would tell his friends that his son will one day become a really fine surgeon, I told him point blank at some point that he can shelve that dream cos I wasn't interested in any of that stuff and i made sure he understands that nothing can change my mind about that. Sure the dude was disappointed at that point, but a part of him marvel at how an Eighteen year old could be so firm about his choices, and that was the moment i earned my voice.

You've got to grow up son, you are not a kid anymore.

5 Likes

Re: . by sholay2011(m): 7:50am On Mar 10, 2013
violent: You have to ask yourself what you live for. The moment you model your life around other people's expectation and standards, that moment you set yourself up for a big crash. Damn everyone! Just live your life! In the end, the decisions you make is what determines how far you'd go in life. Why do you care if a lot of people get disappointed anyway? What are you? the world's granny? Regardless of what you do, someone's always going to be sad anyway, you might as well just do what you want and damn whoever is having nightmares over the the things you have chosen to do with your life.

You should also grow some ballz and do something about your self confidence. Neither your dad nor his friends nor yours will be paying your bills in a couple of years to come, so why must you let them make your decisions for you?

When i was a teenager, my dad would tell his friends that his son will one day become a really fine surgeon, I told him point blank at some point that he can shelve that dream cos I wasn't interested in any of that stuff and i made sure he understands that nothing can change my mind about that. Sure the dude was disappointed at that point, but a part of him marvel at how an Eighteen year old could be so firm about his choices, and that was the moment i earned my voice.

You've got to grow up son, you are not a kid anymore.

Thanks bro.
Re: . by Mustay(m): 4:33pm On Mar 10, 2013
Starting rhetorically, for you to have got to this stage, I believe you are now an adult - well that's why you're one; you're responsible for making decisions that affect you and your environs.

On viewing this topic, I thought it was gonna be about the 'PHD' thingy in schools.

What you're experiencing is normal - it's more like the 'expectations' theory. My guy, the confidence it requires for a 3rd class is totally different from yours o! You got the advantage already with your grades while the former has to proves stereotypes wrong that s/he is not an 'olodo'.

You do not want to disappoint people but just be yourself, that's all. If you really got the stuff in you, the golden fish can have no place to hide. The deal is that one works towards his or her luck which is what your grade has put a premium on for you.

You trying to 'divert' to another course must be something you're really sure about. No one is trying to scare you but those who will be shocked by your decision will express the same fear - no one wants you to make a mistake you'll regret.

Don't walk in peoples' shadows - yoruba people say, "won o o ki wo ago alago sise" ie "you don't use somebody else's watch to work". That someone says you should not work as a first class is not TRUE. As much as Rome wasn't built in a day, the difference between you and those who say little of what they know is the research you make and careful analysis before taking decisions that are not bandwagon-like.

If movie production is the passion you got, take a careful study to learn in the industry. Be careful to those you take advices from and how you pay attention to every statement you're told - some are bourne out of ignorance/illusion. It's left for you to sieve the wheat from the chaff - goodluck! cool

2 Likes

Re: . by sholay2011(m): 10:12pm On Mar 10, 2013
Mustay: Starting rhetorically, for you to have got to this stage, I believe you are now an adult - well that's why you're one; you're responsible for making decisions that affect you and your environs.

On viewing this topic, I thought it was gonna be about the 'PHD' thingy in schools.

What you're experiencing is normal - it's more like the 'expectations' theory. My guy, the confidence it requires for a 3rd class is totally different from yours o! You got the advantage already with your grades while the former has to proves stereotypes wrong that s/he is not an 'olodo'.

You do not want to disappoint people but just be yourself, that's all. If you really got the stuff in you, the golden fish can have no place to hide. The deal is that one works towards his or her luck which is what your grade has put a premium on for you.

You trying to 'divert' to another course must be something you're really sure about. No one is trying to scare you but those who will be shocked by your decision will express the same fear - no one wants you to make a mistake you'll regret.

Don't walk in peoples' shadows - yoruba people say, "won o o ki wo ago alago sise" ie "you don't use somebody else's watch to work". That someone says you should not work as a first class is not TRUE. As much as Rome wasn't built in a day, the difference between you and those who say little of what they know is the research you make and careful analysis before taking decisions that are not bandwagon-like.

If movie production is the passion you got, take a careful study to learn in the industry. Be careful to those you take advices from and how you pay attention to every statement you're told - some are bourne out of ignorance/illusion. It's left for you to sieve the wheat from the chaff - goodluck! cool
God bless you bro. Your advice is very well noted.
Re: . by emiye(m): 4:32am On Mar 11, 2013
Mustay: Starting rhetorically, for you to have got to this stage, I believe you are now an adult - well that's why you're one; you're responsible for making decisions that affect you and your environs.

I dont quite agree with the boldened part, i understand perfectly the Op's fear.

He that is down need fear no fall( As a third class older, everyone sees you as olodo, and expect nothing from you, if you create something from your nothing, oh my my, you make the headlines.)

As a first class holder, every body has high expectations from you, majority unrealistic.

I will suggest you leave this country, and pursue a training in your passion,you will be exposed to the best of training, your plan B, which can go simultaneously is a related masters degree in your field, that gives you chance to buy time from those prying eyes who will perpetually ask, where is "sholay2011"? Is he now a millionaire? Is he working in shell or chevron ? ....

There are scholarships for brainys like you, search them dilligently.

2 Likes

Re: . by sixteen08(m): 7:05am On Mar 11, 2013
@op mustay,violent and emiye have said 3 distinct things that make real sense and I suggest you tink about the points they'v made.
In all,THINK DEEPLY and THINK WELL and settle for whatever keeps ur mind at peace. Life is full of people who are looking for who to to dominate while some others are simply looking for people to help them carry out their life ambitions and fantasies which they have failed to accomplish.Be wary!!! You are the architect of your life and happiness.
In all that you do make sure your decision is that which would make you sleep at night.
God be with you.
Re: . by AjanleKoko: 2:26pm On Mar 11, 2013
Since you're a first-class agric graduate, who says you can't become a first class movie producer/director?

Chess prodigy Magnus Carlsen enters endgame for world title
22-year-old grandmaster labelled greatest ever player hopes to earn right to play for world championship at London tournament

Norwegian prodigy Magnus Carlsen is the Tiger Woods of chess. In a good way. Just as Woods, before his fall, established an iron grip on golf, so Carlsen, at the age of 22, has made himself supreme in his own more esoteric field. He became world No 1 while still a teenager, and is now officially rated the strongest player of all time.

What he is not, however, is world champion. That title has been held since 2007 by India's Viswanathan Anand, a great player but 20 years older than Carlsen and now rated only No 6 in the world. The time may be ripe for the young genius, and, in a three-week tournament that starts in London on Thursday, Carlsen and seven other top grandmasters will compete for the right to challenge Anand for his crown later in the year.

. . .

Carlsen's father and mother are both engineers, and from the age of two he showed prodigious problem-solving and memory skills. Once he applied them singlemindedly to chess, there was no stopping him. He became a grandmaster at 13, was world No 1 at 19, and last year became the top-rated player of all time.

When he was 12, he took a year off school, and the family travelled round the world, combining chess tournaments with sightseeing. It was both a bonding exercise and a vital part of Carlsen's chess development. Originally, the intention had been for him to combine chess with a general education, but increasingly the latter had to take a back seat and he chose not to go to university, preferring to concentrate on chess.

"If there was an interesting tournament," says Carlsen, "I thought there was no reason to go to school instead." "Most of us are occupied with mediocre activities in every direction," says Henrik, "so if there is someone with a talent and an interest to do something extraordinary, then why not? At least we should not stop him. If he wants to stop, fine." But Carlsen never did want to stop.

His father says the secret of nurturing his genius was to let him do what he wanted – a very Norwegian approach. "In the conventional sense he's lazy," says Henrik. "If you had told him to do something that he wasn't motivated to do, he wouldn't do it. But I don't think that sort of laziness hurts his chess. What's important is his interest, competitiveness and curiosity. He's always done what he wants in chess, and he's there because he loves to be there and fight, whereas many of his rivals have already spent a lot of their energy by the time they arrive at the table."

. . .

You sense Carlsen would never just go through the motions. The €1m a year comes in handy, but what really drives him is passion and intellectual curiosity. "Sometimes I feel that I'm able to create something special," he says, "and I very much like the game of ideas between the two players. It's captivating, it's fun, and it keeps me going."

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/10/chess-magnus-carlsen-world-title for the full story.

That's my contribution to the topic wink
Re: . by sholay2011(m): 11:27pm On Mar 11, 2013
I am very grateful for everybody's advice and I think the problem is very well resolved...thanks once again for taking your time.

*in greatgod2012's words* May God help us all.lolz.
Re: . by MicroBox: 7:57am On Mar 12, 2013
Congratulation friend, i wont come easy for you cos dey already dey vex me. Cant u think abt joining IITA and become a big boy overnight or u no sabi say shell, chevron get agricultural department in care of biofuel. Guy wakeup abeg wetin be movie making. You can be writting your script at leisure time and sell or give it out abi na publicity u want, make people dey see u for TV.

1 Like

Re: . by sholay2011(m): 11:10am On Mar 12, 2013
MicroBox: Congratulation friend, i wont come easy for you cos dey already dey vex me. Cant u think abt joining IITA and become a big boy overnight or u no sabi say shell, chevron get agricultural department in care of biofuel. Guy wakeup abeg wetin be movie making. You can be writting your script at leisure time and sell or give it out abi na publicity u want, make people dey see u for TV.
LOL...u jst cracked me up. You just posted my plan on the thread! Too many intelligent ppl for nairaland as mumu plenty for naija...
Re: . by Jarus(m): 1:52pm On Mar 12, 2013
Congrats guy. By God's grace, I also graduated with one, although CGPA not close to that.

I understand your feelings. The expectation is natural, the parental pride is natural, the stake will automatically be high. It wont even stop there, when you begin to go for interviews, you are most likely going to be drilled more and perhaps need to do more than ordinary to convince your interviewers than the 2.1 or 2.2 guy. That is what is called defence of your degree, and 90% of Firsts I know are able to scale this.

The good thing is, if well packaged, it is a great advantage for you. You are almost guaranteed of invitation for every test you apply for except there is restriction on course or age.

Just work on your confidence (and never be overconfident). That's all.

5 Likes

Re: . by Serendipity: 6:24pm On Mar 12, 2013
chax100: Let me start by saying, congratulations on your first-class, I know what it takes to be a first-class student. People will always expect much from you. But, if I were you, I would have remain in academics. Apply to your department for the post of a graduate assistance and contribute to the your own quota to our educational sector. I wish all the best to you in your endeavours. Cheers!
Sorry, if I were you, I would remain in academia.
Academic is a noun that may refer to a lecturer and doesn't connote the world of learning which academic is. It ia also an adjective.
Fhanks.
Re: . by Serendipity: 6:28pm On Mar 12, 2013

posting that Yoruba adage here is infelicitous
Re: . by Serendipity: 6:36pm On Mar 12, 2013
Jarus: Congrats guy. By God's grace, I also graduated with one, although CGPA not close to that.

I understand your feelings. The expectation is natural, the parental pride is natural, the stake will automatically be high. It wont even stop there, when you begin to go for interviews, you are most likely going to be drilled more and perhaps need to do more than ordinary to convince your interviewers than the 2.1 or 2.2 guy. That is what is called defence of your degree, and 90% of Firsts I know are able to scale this.

The good thing is, if well packaged, it is a great advantage for you. You are almost guaranteed of invitation for every test you apply for except there is restriction on course or age.

Just work on your confidence (and never be overconfident). That's all.

MicroBox: Congratulation friend, i wont come easy for you cos dey already dey vex me. Cant u think abt joining IITA and become a big boy overnight or u no sabi say shell, chevron get agricultural department in care of biofuel. Guy wakeup abeg wetin be movie making. You can be writting your script at leisure time and sell or give it out abi na publicity u want, make people dey see u for TV.

These two pieces of advice are highly recommended.

(1) (Reply)

Please Advice!!! N150k Job In Lagos Vs. N250k Job In Abuja. / ICAN November Diet 2013 / Financial Reporting Past Question ICAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.