Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

If Europe Underdeveloped Africa............. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Europe Underdeveloped Africa............. (836 Views)

Why Nigeria Is Underdeveloped. / Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped / Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If Europe Underdeveloped Africa............. by Zinosalexander(m): 4:01pm On Mar 10, 2013
Most Nigerians love to link the underdevelopment of Africa and Nigeria in particular on the European colonial masters or the notorious and historical slave trade.

I do not think so, why?

1. We were all born at the same time, if not earlier
It does not matter whether you believe in evolution or creation or whatever you wish to believe to be the source of the human race. At best, we were all created at the same time and worst case scenario; Africans are the ancestors of the Europeans. Even before Africans had contact with the Europeans, we were living a primitive life compared to them and even after slavery and colonialism we are still, well living a primitive life; I would actually say we are better off after colonialism.

2. The Europeans looted our land during the days of colonialism
So? They are still lots of resources to work with. I prefer to think of this like this. A con man comes to your house and starts stealing your gold poop. When you finally realized this you chased him out of your house. It was wrong of him to deceive you and steal your gold poop, but he is gone now and what you do is with your gold poop is up you.
It’s the same scenario with Nigeria. Admittedly, the whites might have come to our land and looted our cotton, cocoa, groundnut and even human resources but that doesn’t stop us from developing from our resources now that they are gone. For crying out loud, there are a lot of resources we could work with.

3. Even countries that received independence before Nigeria are heading somewhere
I do not want to call names of countries that received independence after Nigeria are heading somewhere. I guess it’s really stupid to say that Nigeria’s underdevelopment has anything to do with colonialism or slavery.

Ethiopia was never colonized and Liberia was the first to receive independence and yet…………I rest my case

4. They were not like this at this age
In a desperate attempt to condone Nigeria's underdevelopment, some people will tell you that When America was 53 years old, they weren't as develops as Nigeria. I really find this comparison ridiculous. Like seriously? Are you kidding me?
It like saying it's okay if a twenty year old cannot operate a mobile phone, because when his dad was twenty years old he could not operate a mobile phone. It doesn't even make sense

5. Reparation Is absolutely ludicrous
Reparation is the idea that colonization and slavery on the African continent has caused the continent to be backwards and thus we (Nigeria and Africa in whole) should be compensated. Lol.
Let me explain. Those who support reparation say that Nigeria would be better than it actually is today without colonization or slavery. Nigeria could be better today without slavery, just maybe. But there is no way Nigeria could be better without colonization.
I could go on forever to prove my point we’ve had just one railway system and we’ve had that's the same railway system that our colonial masters used to transport our natural resources to the sea ports for easy transportation. We cannot even maintain it, talk more of build a new one.

Conclusion
I am not saying that Europeans are perfect or that their countries are at the peak of civilization, what I am saying is that I am not impressed with the pace of development of MY COUNTRY.
I am just a bored Nairalander saying sh*t
Re: If Europe Underdeveloped Africa............. by Omexonomy: 4:49pm On Mar 10, 2013
Tolexander how you dey
Re: If Europe Underdeveloped Africa............. by Zinosalexander(m): 4:52pm On Mar 10, 2013
.. . . . . Emmm. . . . Fine?

(1) (Reply)

Declare Public Holiday For Achebe, Ken Nnamani Centre Urges FG / Ghanaian President Visits Akwa Ibom State Pics / Checkout Michelle Obama Doing Press Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.