Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,584 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds (13039 Views)

How Your Dog's Wagging Tail Can Reveal Its Emotions / Man Finds Giant Burmese Python In His Shed In Florida / NASA Scientists Finds Message From God On Planet Mars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by etim007: 9:27pm On Mar 12, 2013
Your Facebook “likes” might be revealing more than you know about your private life.

It is possible to predict potentially private traits such as a person’s sexual orientation, political leanings, religion, intelligence, emotional stability and even if they abuse drugs or alcohol, just by analyzing their Facebook likes, according to a new study out of the University of Cambridge.

Liking something on Facebook is a simple, almost mindless way to pass time on the social networking site, which says it has more than a billion users worldwide. With one click, people can “like” pages — for brands, public figures, memes, music and groups — as well as articles, photos or status updates from their friends. But that quick action can be a powerful statement.

“Facebook likes have a meaning that we can use to understand the psychology behind what people do,” says David Stillwell, a co-author of the study.

Researchers looked at the Facebook profiles and likes, along with surveys and personality tests, for 58,466 individuals. Using that data, they developed a model that predicts personal attributes from Facebook likes with impressive accuracy. It has the best luck categorizing people as Caucasian or African-American (95% accuracy), followed by gender, male sexuality, Democratic or Republican leanings, and detecting Christians and Muslims.

One of more unusual categories was whether a person’s parents had split before they turned 21, which had a relatively low 60% level of accuracy (still high enough to benefit advertisers, noted the researchers). These people were more more likely to like statements about relationships, such as “If I’m with you then I’m with you. I don’t want anybody else,” and “I’m sorry I love you.”

“It gives us a poignant insight into the effects that parental breakup has on children even after they grow up,” says Stillwell.

The likes themselves are a combination of obvious and baffling. Liking “Kathy Griffin,” “Juicy Couture,” or the musical “Wicked” were found to be strong indicators that a man was gay, while liking sports-related topics, “Bruce Lee” and “Being Confused After Waking Up From Naps” were more popular with straight men, according to the the study.

A person’s Facebook likes can also be used to predict intelligence, say the researchers. Liking “The Daily Show”, “science”, “Morgan Freeman’s Voice” and the mysterious “Curly Fries” indicates someone is highly intelligent. Lower intelligence was suggested by likes for “Clark Griswold”, “Harley-Davidson” and “Bret Michaels”, according to the study.

Likes for “beerpong”, “Chris Tucker” and “cheerleading” were strong predictors of an extrovert while “role playing games,” “Anime” and “Voltaire” pointed to introverted personality types. “Kurt Donald Cobain” and “Vampires Everywhere” indicated neurotic personalities, “Wes Anderson” and “serial killer” were liked by spontaneous people, and competitive types liked “Sun Tzu” and “I hate everyone.”

Researchers are opening up the tool to everyone so they can get a peek at their own personal results. People can check out what their Facebook likes say about them by visiting YouAreWhatYouLike.comand logging in with their Facebook profile. The site does an instant personality test and rates how open, stable, agreeable, extroverted and conscientious a person is. While the data is analyzed by researchers to improve the overall test, any personal information is stripped out.

http:///technology/facebook-2.html

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Nobody: 10:51am On Mar 13, 2013
wow, took some smart people to figure that out!

If anyone thinks Facebook exists to do anything but gather and sell your information they are living in a fantasy land.
undecided

3 Likes

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by UnknownMember: 6:03pm On Mar 13, 2013
this sounds like a study done by angry

9 Likes

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Euckybaby(f): 6:05pm On Mar 13, 2013
No be beans oooooo
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by naijathings(m): 6:05pm On Mar 13, 2013
and I am suppose to read this till the end or what?
now who are these guys to tell me what to like or what not to like?
so liking a set of pages on FB shows u r gay? or a thief or what?
abeg joooor
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Alpacheners(m): 6:07pm On Mar 13, 2013
Really not confidential
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by HectorTroy: 6:07pm On Mar 13, 2013
Zuck
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by JUO(m): 6:09pm On Mar 13, 2013
ok, thank God am already aware
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Agbo2(m): 6:10pm On Mar 13, 2013
This is not totaly correct.
People like posts sometimes because of the person it came from and not necessarily because of the content.
I remember a friend got about 20 likes when he posted 'I lost my mum this morning'

3 Likes

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by chynabest(m): 6:13pm On Mar 13, 2013
Notn we no go hear 4 dis we world.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Chitexs250(m): 6:14pm On Mar 13, 2013
etim007: Your Facebook “likes” might be revealing more than you know about your private life.

It is possible to predict potentially private traits such as a person’s sexual orientation, political leanings, religion, intelligence, emotional stability and even if they abuse drugs or alcohol, just by analyzing their Facebook likes, according to a new study out of the University of Cambridge.

Liking something on Facebook is a simple, almost mindless way to pass time on the social networking site, which says it has more than a billion users worldwide. With one click, people can “like” pages — for brands, public figures, memes, music and groups — as well as articles, photos or status updates from their friends. But that quick action can be a powerful statement.

“Facebook likes have a meaning that we can use to understand the psychology behind what people do,” says David Stillwell, a co-author of the study.

Researchers looked at the Facebook profiles and likes, along with surveys and personality tests, for 58,466 individuals. Using that data, they developed a model that predicts personal attributes from Facebook likes with impressive accuracy. It has the best luck categorizing people as Caucasian or African-American (95% accuracy), followed by gender, male sexuality, Democratic or Republican leanings, and detecting Christians and Muslims.

One of more unusual categories was whether a person’s parents had split before they turned 21, which had a relatively low 60% level of accuracy (still high enough to benefit advertisers, noted the researchers). These people were more more likely to like statements about relationships, such as “If I’m with you then I’m with you. I don’t want anybody else,” and “I’m sorry I love you.”

“It gives us a poignant insight into the effects that parental breakup has on children even after they grow up,” says Stillwell.

The likes themselves are a combination of obvious and baffling. Liking “Kathy Griffin,” “Juicy Couture,” or the musical “Wicked” were found to be strong indicators that a man was gay, while liking sports-related topics, “Bruce Lee” and “Being Confused After Waking Up From Naps” were more popular with straight men, according to the the study.

A person’s Facebook likes can also be used to predict intelligence, say the researchers. Liking “The Daily Show”, “science”, “Morgan Freeman’s Voice” and the mysterious “Curly Fries” indicates someone is highly intelligent. Lower intelligence was suggested by likes for “Clark Griswold”, “Harley-Davidson” and “Bret Michaels”, according to the study.

Likes for “beerpong”, “Chris Tucker” and “cheerleading” were strong predictors of an extrovert while “role playing games,” “Anime” and “Voltaire” pointed to introverted personality types. “Kurt Donald Cobain” and “Vampires Everywhere” indicated neurotic personalities, “Wes Anderson” and “serial killer” were liked by spontaneous people, and competitive types liked “Sun Tzu” and “I hate everyone.”

Researchers are opening up the tool to everyone so they can get a peek at their own personal results. People can check out what their Facebook likes say about them by visiting YouAreWhatYouLike.comand logging in with their Facebook profile. The site does an instant personality test and rates how open, stable, agreeable, extroverted and conscientious a person is. While the data is analyzed by researchers to improve the overall test, any personal information is stripped out.

http://fox13now.com/2013/03/12/facebook-likes-can-reveal-your-secrets-study-finds/
http:///technology/facebook-2.html

3 Likes

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by tpia5: 6:16pm On Mar 13, 2013
^ is that osemzigue's [sp] baby?

just curious, if it is, i guess the child already has a career in modelling.

being mixed race helps, too!
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Akeud(m): 6:19pm On Mar 13, 2013
These people (fb team) are really exposing too much secrets about people. It is not enjoyable at all, but I think all they care is getting kb from the users. It looks like MADNESS, they should control this.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Ucheosefoh(m): 6:20pm On Mar 13, 2013
naijathings: and I am suppose to read this till the end or what?
now who are these guys to tell me what to like or what not to like?
so liking a set of pages on FB shows u r gay? or a thief or what?
abeg joooor
Yes if u always like pages that promote gay u are gay if u always like the pages of Nigerian politicans dude u are a potential political thief in the making
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Goldenheart(m): 6:20pm On Mar 13, 2013
okay
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by iamswizz(m): 6:20pm On Mar 13, 2013
at least i commented

2 Likes

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Tolexander: 6:22pm On Mar 13, 2013
Better they include facebook dislike so that the secret will be more sealed from being revealed

1 Like

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by tpia5: 6:25pm On Mar 13, 2013
Akeud: These people (fb team) are really exposing too much secrets about people. It is not enjoyable at all, but I think all they care is getting kb from the users. It looks like MADNESS, they should control this.

they seem to have an undue fascination with relationship breakups as well.

makes one wonder about the people behind the scenario.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by deols(f): 6:36pm On Mar 13, 2013
The nairaland posts are more accurate. undecided
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by obowunmi(m): 6:41pm On Mar 13, 2013
I like very random things (including the pictures of UGLY people) on facebook - anyone trying to determine my person through facebook likes - are only wasting their time. #truth.

1 Like

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Ivynwa(f): 6:42pm On Mar 13, 2013
Facebook "likes" says a lot about a person same way one can deduct some bit of personality type from what people write in some posts in nairaland.

My facebook likes are mostly of my favorite musicians, inspirationals, music studios, WWE, some social shows, Fashion houses. These I like very much.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Artistree: 7:09pm On Mar 13, 2013
Pls what's d new name for d study of fb LIKES? I want to major in it.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by heykims(m): 7:35pm On Mar 13, 2013
Se na only for fb dem dey like, nairaland n ko?

1 Like

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Obinnau(m): 7:36pm On Mar 13, 2013
is it only happening in my devices? I cant access anything in that site.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by ismhab(m): 7:39pm On Mar 13, 2013
HOW ABOUT NAIRALAND 'LIKES'.

1 Like

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 13, 2013
~vicky~:
wow, took some smart people to figure that out!

If anyone thinks Facebook exists to do anything but gather and sell your information they are living in a fantasy land.
undecided

Exactly
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 13, 2013
Unknown Member: this sounds like a study done by angry

That movie is hilarious! grin
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Nobody: 7:48pm On Mar 13, 2013
Agbo2: This is not totaly correct.
People like posts sometimes because of the person it came from and not necessarily because of the content.
I remember a friend got about 20 likes when he posted 'I lost my mum this morning'

You obviously don't even understand the article! What they are trying to say is the kind of pages you like correlate to your personality. It does not mean your the normal status or picture likes

2 Likes

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Les: 7:52pm On Mar 13, 2013
Wat about me dat keeps liking ol d romance pages tho i never comment
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Mightyify(m): 7:57pm On Mar 13, 2013
True true, oyibo people no get work. Mtcheeew!
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by wealthpos(f): 8:06pm On Mar 13, 2013
I knew this a very long time ago,and I do analyse my friends by what they like or usually update on FB.Nice discovery there. shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice / Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs / Photo:10 Shoking Photo Of Hybrid Creature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.