Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,237 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? (8372 Views)

Northern Leaders Demand Pardon For Boko Haram / Presidential Pardon For Major Hamza Almustapha / Alamieyeseigha, Others To Get State Pardon Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by yacsabdul(m): 10:21am On Mar 13, 2013
ITbomb: People need to understand that it is not the FG as per Executive arm of government that single handedly gave the pardon .
The pardon was made by the Council of State which include Buhari, it is an elders council not ministers' forum that GEJ can influence.
Anybody mentioning clueless here should know that that include Buhari , Gowon , IBB , Abubakar etc
point of correcsion, excluding IBB, BUHARI & ABUBAKAR
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by saved: 10:22am On Mar 13, 2013
Our rulers are pro-corruption leaders. With this act, they are simply putting it on record that you can commit Crime, steal, loot and engage in vices but don't forget to support their political ambition and donate part of your ill-gotten wealth to the largest party in Nigeria. Then, your sins are forgiven and your crime blotted out. State pardon awaits you with a grand reception by enemies of the masses. Na dem dem, dem dey pardon, person wey thief yam for food dey kirikiri,no pardon, but, person wey rob billions dey recieve pardon. Oh God where your face dey?

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Slim101(m): 10:25am On Mar 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Mischievous moderators at work again. How many threads about state pardon will make front page? At the last count, about three threads, have made front page on three consecutive days. How many more do we expect?
Smh!

Personally, I dont like the decision to pardon certain political actors, but those who took the decision have their reasons.

The Council of State consists of the president, vice president, senate president, speaker of the house of reps, all the former president/head of state, past chief justices of the federation, the 36 state governors (including ACN, APGA and CPC governors). If certain persons were not satisfied with the decisions by the Council of State, they could atleast have staged a walk out or did something to register their dis-satisfaction.

But if all of them emerged from the meeting smiling, it is safe to assume they deliberated on all the issues and took the RIGHT decisions.

It smacks of mischief and opportunitics politicking to reduce a body as large as the Council of State to one man- the president.

Anyway, I will not dissipate time and energy discussing intangible issues such as granting of state pardon. For me, the pertinent issues are tangible things that impact on my life and the life of other Nigerians. Things like stable power, infrastructures, job creation,etc

Sorry to say, but your submission is myopic! Who told you they emerged from the meeting smiling? Every sane person knows that this is Jonathan's doing so don't try and drag every attendee in the mud along with him.

And what also makes you think this shameful pardon is so intangible as not to instill the will and motivation for plundering the national treasure thereby making impossible "things like stable power, infrastructures, job creation etc" ...just as you quoted.

Habba!! People's conscience could be so dead just because of piece-meal!!

5 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Jimbaz7(m): 10:27am On Mar 13, 2013
Guys the message is so glaring. If you want to steal from government, make the amount quite heavy and you'll get a pat on the back from the same government. Na 9ja be this o o o

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 13, 2013
Billyonaire: State Pardon, just like Political Amnesty are political panacea. I understand that many people will be focusing on Alameseigha more than other beneficiaries, so I will like to ask. Was Alams the most corrupt Governor then ? Why was his case different ? I think his arrest and conviction was politically motivated by OBJ to send a message to his opponents, OBJ was also doing same to Mike Adenuga, (although Mike ran away to UK, to avoid arrest), OBJ was arresting these guys to send a message to IBB, Atiku etc. Alams from that experience was inspired to derive a political philosophy which he carefully opines: "There are only two entities you can not fight, God and Government" and I agree. This state pardon, just like the amnesty programme, is a worthy step.
This is the most incompetent analysis I have seen from you in a while. Dude, you are trying too hard.
The Council of State should not grant pardon to looters, what message are they trying to pass across?

3 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by omoalaro: 10:37am On Mar 13, 2013
ITbomb: People need to understand that it is not the FG as per Executive arm of government that single handedly gave the pardon .
The pardon was made by the Council of State which include Buhari, it is an elders council not ministers' forum that GEJ can influence.
Anybody mentioning clueless here should know that that include Buhari , Gowon , IBB , Abubakar etc

Stop misleading people. Obasanjo, Buhari and IBB were absent.

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Saintp(m): 10:39am On Mar 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Mischievous moderators at work again. How many threads about state pardon will make front page? At the last count, about three threads, have made front page on three consecutive days. How many more do we expect?
Smh!

Personally, I dont like the decision to pardon certain political actors, but those who took the decision have their reasons.

The Council of State consists of the president, vice president, senate president, speaker of the house of reps, all the former president/head of state, past chief justices of the federation, the 36 state governors (including ACN, APGA and CPC governors). If certain persons were not satisfied with the decisions by the Council of State, they could atleast have staged a walk out or did something to register their dis-satisfaction.

But if all of them emerged from the meeting smiling, it is safe to assume they deliberated on all the issues and took the RIGHT decisions.

It smacks of mischief and opportunitics politicking to reduce a body as large as the Council of State to one man- the president.

Anyway, I will not dissipate time and energy discussing intangible issues such as granting of state pardon. For me, the pertinent issues are tangible things that impact on my life and the life of other Nigerians. Things like stable power, infrastructures, job creation,etc

Bros, for once try and strongly condemn obvious flaws from this goverernment. There is nothing wrong in liking someone or a government but the measure of character of a man is the ability for him to stand up and condemn what is wrong irrespective of who is involved. Your posts all have a familiar direction n i think its makes no sense reading through it anymore cos we already know what your stand will be.

6 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Willgates(m): 10:40am On Mar 13, 2013
Welcome to Nigeria! grin
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by deviduff(m): 10:46am On Mar 13, 2013
So Buhari, Gowon, IBB, etc have d power to grant state pardon to people? What position exactly do they hold in dis country to warrant such?
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by itsmayiela(m): 10:49am On Mar 13, 2013
It is Major Hamza Mustapha and Bode George that need this state pardon most. In short, lets even include Lawrence Nomayagbon Anini (post humuous) in the list
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ckkris: 10:52am On Mar 13, 2013
ochukoccna:
Buhari , OBJ, IBB , Abubakar were not there
Only Gowon and Shagari

Then you've no right to complain. Your boko haram leader neglected to represent you in a Constitutional Council of State. You are supposed to acquiesce, continue to throw more bombs, or as usual, order the massacre of precious Youth Corps members, sent to help the poor masses you've culturally deceived with every-good-thing-is-haram.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Afam4evaIsASlut: 10:56am On Mar 13, 2013
ckkris:

Then you've no right to complain. Your boko haram leader neglected to represent you in a Constitutional Council of State. You are supposed to acquiesce, continue to throw more bombs, or as usual, order the massacre of precious Youth Corps members, sent to help the poor masses you've culturally deceived with every-good-thing-is-haram.

Imbe.cile, GEJ is Commander-In-Chief.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by najoke: 11:01am On Mar 13, 2013
Smh!

Anyway, I will not dissipate time and energy discussing intangible issues such as granting of state pardon. [/b]For me, the pertinent issues are tangible things that impact on my life and the life of other Nigerians. Things like stable power, infrastructures, job creation,etc

^
sincerely, you are truly an [b]insincer9jerian

Running away with your tail in btw your legs.
GEJ has truly legalised looting, you should be ashamed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed.....big time!!!
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by emmasege: 11:04am On Mar 13, 2013
But who initiated the move?, and have u heard of veto power b4?
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by nep2ra(m): 11:04am On Mar 13, 2013
Billyonaire: State Pardon, just like Political Amnesty are political panacea. I understand that many people will be focusing on Alameseigha more than other beneficiaries, so I will like to ask. Was Alams the most corrupt Governor then ? Why was his case different ? I think his arrest and conviction was politically motivated by OBJ to send a message to his opponents, OBJ was also doing same to Mike Adenuga, (although Mike ran away to UK, to avoid arrest), OBJ was arresting these guys to send a message to IBB, Atiku etc. Alams from that experience was inspired to derive a political philosophy which he carefully opines: "There are only two entities you can not fight, God and Government" and I agree. This state pardon, just like the amnesty programme, is a worthy step.
]

You are a hopeless case!
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by mikeywise(m): 11:05am On Mar 13, 2013
I dont know why people still engage the likes of billyonaire, insincerenigerian, itbomb, ckcrisis in an argument, these guys have sold their heart to the devil.
@ Topic, this is just a tip of the iceberg, we still have 2 long years to go, lets all fasten our seat belt because the journey might not be smooth.

2 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 13, 2013
I dont disapprove of the pardon, i believe there are people in the system who does more than Alameseyah did. I consider it a great move.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by dougivilla(m): 11:15am On Mar 13, 2013
jeffizy:
billionaire, should i conclude that ur comment was made to bring a balanced debate to the fore? If not, then i need to ask if u were absent when alamaisiegha was in court, when he ran out of the U.K as a woman.
Did obj plan all these? Dont be economical with the truth!
Have u ever had the opportunity of reading Alams' account of the occurence. I read it some years back in the Sun newspaper. I'l try and get the link. Much as I do not support granting pardon to some politicians, i'd like us to make informed comments. Most if not all our politicians are manifestly corrupt. That accepted! I think obj only used his efcc at home and contacts abroad to hound his political enemies like Uzo kalu, Tinubu, the Jos governor then, Ibori, Alams,etc into submission. He just wanted to embarras them. If Alamwhaever and d Jos man were as guilty, when they returned to Njgeria and were impeached and did not av any more immunity, what did the then gov't of OBJ do?. This council of state might have information we don't, so lets give them that benefit of doubt.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by eagleeye2: 11:18am On Mar 13, 2013
Faddd: I dont disapprove of the pardon, i believe there are people in the system who does more than Alameseyah did. I consider it a great move.

Why don't you people just urge GEJ to throw the gates of Kirikiri open and declare a State Pardon for all Inmates. SINCE THERE ARE THOSE WHO HAVE DONE MORE THAN WHAT THE INMATES DID.

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by kukus01(m): 11:19am On Mar 13, 2013

thank you!!! please tell them i wonder if people read to understand at all....the same set of people will come here and shout that they are unemployed. smh
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Goddex: 11:20am On Mar 13, 2013
Tinubu as governor stole more than Alams but is moving freely.
That is the country we find ourselves.

Alams was deliberately victimised by OBJ because he was tipped then as
running mate to then Vice President Atiku Abubakar.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by kukus01(m): 11:22am On Mar 13, 2013
eagle,eye:

Why don't you people just urge GEJ to throw the gates of Kirikiri open and declare a State Pardon for all Inmates. SINCE THERE ARE THOSE WHO HAVE DONE MORE THAN WHAT THE INMATES DID.
did the article say GEJ gave the pardon? find out what council of state means then come back here to comment!!! olodo
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by eagleeye2: 11:26am On Mar 13, 2013
kukus01:
did the article say GEJ gave the pardon? find out what council of state means then come back here to comment!!! olodo

Wise man, so in your stupidity you are buying this rubish story that it is the so called members of the Council of State, that approved the pardon?
I SMH for you imbe.cile
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ypzilanti: 11:32am On Mar 13, 2013

Justifying bad behavior by pointing at other bad behavior is a recipe for the breakdown of law and order. There is a reason why all laws begin with 'whosoever is found or caught' ...The law never says 'all people' engaged in corrupt acts must be punished, but those who are caught are used as example for others.

While we are contending with strengthening our laws and processes to catch and successfully prosecute corrupt people, the GEJ government is busy pardoning the few that we have successfully prosecuted.

So let me ask the question: why does Cecilia Ibru, and co not deserve pardon too? Or the man that robbed people on the street and was sentenced to death by hanging? I'm just ashamed of this country. I had a tear in my eye when I read this news yesterday. What is really wrong with this man? Just when he had started winning back support from many Nigerians. As far as I am concerned, GEJ has just legalized corruption in Nigeria. The official stamp of approval was delivered yesterday.

1 Like

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by Goddex: 11:33am On Mar 13, 2013
kukus01:

Folks here often look the other way when realities are presented.
Council of state include:

1) All former Heads of State
2) President and Vice-President
3) Ministers
4) Senate President and Speaker House of Reps
5) All governors

All these people cannot be blindfolded by GEJ alone.
For them to have approved this Obviously means, they have
got more information at their disposal that we do not have.

2 Likes

Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by mamikky: 11:34am On Mar 13, 2013
BREAKING NEWS: COUNCIL OF STATE GRANTS DIYA, BULAMA, YAR'ADUA PARDON

Former Chief of General Staff, Major General Oladipo Diya (rtd) and Former Chief of Staff Supreme Military Council, and brother of the late President, Major General Shehu Musa Yar'adua (Post Humous) received a State Pardon from the National Council of State, this afternoon, a source who attended the meeting has revealed to NaijaPundit.

Also pardoned were ex-Major Bello Magaji NA/6604, Mohammed Lima Biu, Shettima Bulama (of Bank of the North fame), Former Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief DSP Alamieyeseigha, Major General Abdulkareem Adisa (Post Humous) and former Major Segun Fadipe.

Our source revealed to us that the Council of State, which is composed of the President, Vice President, all state governors, former Presidents, the Chief Justice of the Federation, the Senate President and Speaker, amongst others, unanimously approved the list of those pardoned today.

The Council of State meeting however was not without its drama as another list which had over 30 names some of whom were awaiting trial was smuggled in for discussion. The Council however rejected the list and asked that it be sent back to the duo of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and the Minister of the Interior. It was argued by some members that the people on the smuggled list apart from awaiting trial were also persons whose cases had little or nothing to do with the federal government and since they were state cases the matter was best dealt with at the state level in keeping with the principles of True Federalism.

Sources told us that the unjust trial and conviction of Diya and Yar'adua was the basis of their pardon while Alamieyeseigha was considered because apart from serving his sentence he has devoted his life to travelling amongst Niger Delta communities facilitating the peace.

http://www.naijapundit.com/news/breaking-news-council-of-state-grants-diya-bulama-yar-adua-pardon
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ITbomb(m): 11:39am On Mar 13, 2013
Goddex:

Folks here don't look the other way when realities are presented.

3) Ministers
5) All governors
Some people are educated and can make logical argument while others were just instructed and are still waiting for instructions from their financiers to blame this morning traffic jam on GEJ
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ckkris: 11:50am On Mar 13, 2013
Jona for 2015, nothing mega, no shaking
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by ckkris: 11:53am On Mar 13, 2013
[quote author=Afam4evaIsASlut] Imbe.cile, GEJ is Commander-In-Chief.[/quote

Meaning what?
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by mikeywise(m): 12:10pm On Mar 13, 2013
@CKKRIS, THIS WHAT IT MEANS,
For the common or slang use of slowpoke, see Idiot.

slowpoke was a medical category of people with moderate to severe mental retardation, as well as a type of criminal.[1][2] The term arises from the Latin word imbecillus, meaning weak, or weak-minded. It included people with an IQ of 26–50, between "slowpoke" (IQ of 51–70) and "idiot" (IQ of 0–25).[3]

The meaning was further refined into mental and moral imbecility.[4][5] The concepts of "moral insanity", "moral idiocy"," and "moral imbecility", led to the emerging field of eugenic criminology, which held that crime can be reduced by preventing "feeble-minded" people from reproducing.
SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA
THANK ME WHEN YOUR DONE READING THIS.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by mikeywise(m): 12:13pm On Mar 13, 2013
@CKKRIS, THIS WHAT IT MEANS,
For the common or slang use of imbe.cile, see Idiot.

Imbe.cile was a medical category of people with moderate to severe mental retardation, as well as a type of criminal.[1][2] The term arises from the Latin word imbecillus, meaning weak, or weak-minded. It included people with an IQ of 26–50, between "slowpoke" (IQ of 51–70) and "idiot" (IQ of 0–25).[3]

The meaning was further refined into mental and moral imbecility.[4][5] The concepts of "moral insanity", "moral idiocy"," and "moral imbecility", led to the emerging field of eugenic criminology, which held that crime can be reduced by preventing "feeble-minded" people from reproducing.

SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA
THANK ME WHEN YOUR DONE READING THIS.
Re: State Pardon For VIP Ex-convicts - A Worthy Step Or Not? by najoke: 12:56pm On Mar 13, 2013
Goddex:

Folks here often look the other way when realities are presented.

3) Ministers
5) All governors

Since you did not look the other way....kindly furnish us with the names of all the people present at the council of state meeting that took this decision

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2015 Presidential Election - Final Prediction / NJC To Reconvene Today Over Onnoghen, Muhammad / Helen Mbakwe: Meet The Amazon Dominating Political Conversation In Anambra Poli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.