Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Google To Kill Google Reader - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Google To Kill Google Reader (10687 Views)

Facebook Is Trying To Kill Facekobo.com - A Nigerian Website / Google To Promote Secure Websites (HTTPS) In Search Results / Do Nigerians Use Google To Test Internet Speed Rather Than Search? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google To Kill Google Reader by Haybayray: 10:44pm On Mar 14, 2013
Slyr0x: Another competition-demolishing service bites the dust

The Google Official Blog has announced a second spring of cleaning, closing yet more services. This time round, Google Reader — used both as an RSS reader and a sync service for third-party RSS clients — is facing the axe.

Google Reader first arrived in 2005, but the Google Reader blog explained that usage has declined, hence why the service is being killed. It also said that Google as a company is “pouring all of [its] energy into fewer products," adding: "We think that kind of focus will make for a better user experience."

The news was received well. On the Google Reader blog’s point about pouring energy into fewer products, developer Jordi Böhme López noted on Twitter: “We need to focus! Keep the self-driving car, magic glasses, laptop, handheld OS and Brazilian social network. Ditch the feed reader.”

On his blog, coder and security consultant Aldo Cortesi called Google a “destroyer of ecosystems,” likening its 2005 entry into RSS to “a giant toddler leaving destruction in its wake”. The free Reader essentially squashed competition, said Cortesi, who argued the service’s closure will harm an already “deeply ill” news system, and that it would have been better for the web had Reader never existed at all.

Marco Arment was more positive and saw opportunities for filling the gap in the market that Reader will leave behind: “We’re finally likely to see substantial innovation and competition in RSS desktop apps and sync platforms for the first time in almost a decade. It may suck in the interim before great alternatives mature and become widely supported, but in the long run, trust me, this is excellent news.”

But IT and multimedia director Stephen Hackett worried on his blog 512 Pixels that alternatives may fail to come to light, and dismissed those claiming Twitter already fills the void: “RSS is nice because everything comes flooding in, but stops, waiting on me to hit ‘Mark All As Read’. On the other hand, tweets stream by, endlessly, without regard to what I — as the user — am doing.”

Google Reader will close on July 1, 2013. In the meantime, Google Takeout can be used to export your data.

http://m.netmagazine.com/news/google-kill-google-reader-132625
ok
Re: Google To Kill Google Reader by Bryancrox(m): 11:31pm On Mar 14, 2013
Haybayray: ok
yhu Quote dis lonq thread jst because of ur fcukinq OK...Mtchew
Re: Google To Kill Google Reader by MajorJ(m): 12:47am On Mar 15, 2013
Oga at the top says it is Bleep GOOGLE
Re: Google To Kill Google Reader by OgaTheTop2: 8:46am On Mar 15, 2013
piphunter: 3rd to comment. Yaaayyyyyyyy grin grin even doe i have nothing meaningful to say grin grin. my Oga on top will understand grin oh my gould.. grin iam so hexited grin grin grin
cool
Re: Google To Kill Google Reader by OgaTheTop2: 8:48am On Mar 15, 2013
topmostg: who the hell is your oga? Abi him wan pai ni?
cool
Re: Google To Kill Google Reader by OgaTheTop2: 8:49am On Mar 15, 2013
kedukc:

wait here, make I go ask oga at the top.
cool
Re: Google To Kill Google Reader by amaa4real: 9:24pm On Mar 15, 2013
onegig: Abi oo..tell me how many Nigerians or nairalanders know what an rss is or what feeds are.

You post things that will benefit people in the it section but the mods only have eyes for placing thread of no valuable use to the frontpage.
Posts like this that would benefit users would never reach Fp.

https://www.nairaland.com/1225219/getting-most-out-laptop-battery
https://www.nairaland.com/1225790/conserving-data-usage-modem-users
Re: Google To Kill Google Reader by jenifertaler: 8:24pm On Mar 16, 2013
what bro? i dont understand

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Send Free Messages On MTN SIM Networks / Nigerian Govt Issues Advisory On Massive Global Cyberattack / Fully Managed Dedicated Cloud And Private Cloud Servers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.