Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,057 members, 7,863,748 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 03:31 AM

Should Water Be Privatised? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Water Be Privatised? (795 Views)

Reps Want Public Hospitals Privatised / FG To Protect Privatised Power Assets With N1.28bn / Should Water Be Privatised? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should Water Be Privatised? by smile4kenn(m): 1:20pm On Mar 26, 2008
African ministers are meeting in Tunis this week to discuss ways of providing clean and sufficient supply of water to the continent.

300 million people lack access to safe drinking water in Africa. The debate over how to best supply water often centres on whether water is a commodity to be sold for profit, or if it should be free for all.

The World Bank believes that the introduction of the private sector in some African countries can help ease the continent's water crisis. But critics says that when water is privatised, the poor suffer as tariffs go up. Others argue that when the private sector gets involved, the water supply improves.

Have you experienced water shortages? Is privatisation the best way to deal with water shortages? What is the best way of providing communities with clean and sufficient water?
Re: Should Water Be Privatised? by smile4kenn(m): 1:22pm On Mar 26, 2008
Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 11:02 GMT 11:02 UK

I believe water is a free gift of nature so pure drinkable water should be at its least cost.I drinkable water supply is privatised the cost will be pretty high although the supply rate and quality will increase. Instead of governments privatising let them do their best and try to provide safe and drinking water as the private sector does.

Mbuh Blessing, Bamenda, Cameroon

Recommended by 0 people

Sign in to recommend comments

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 10:14 GMT 10:14 UK

Water as we all know is the essence of life and MUST be available all the time at all places.Government like in all other amenities have lost bearing in their duties. Here in Port Harcourt, the past administration deceived the people so much on the provision of water for them. For me I think that whether it is privatized or not, is not vital what is necessary is for water to be abundant and within the reach of the masses. For such to happen, government cannot be isolated from the participation.

Nathaniel Ogunka Ohuo Esq.

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 10:11 GMT 10:11 UK

All things been equal, I will prefer my Government to handle the water business. However, given the present reality, I will prefer it to be privatised. In my Country Sierra Leone, it is a common sight to see water wasting because of faulty water pipes, while some areas faced acute water shortages. My country is blessed with water, but the problem lies with management is the God endowed resource.

Joseph P. Abu, Freetown, Sierra Leone

Recommended by 1 person

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 10:09 GMT 10:09 UK

My fellow African, Privatise, Privatise, Privatise!!!
Nothing is left, Every thing is Privatise. Putting it the right way, Sold to a private company which is running after profit
The government can sale every thing except WATER. If the government reached the extend of privatising (saling) water, then the Ruling Party should step down for somebody who can provide free water for the people.
Let God save Africa.

Majid Hassan, Khartoum Sudan

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 09:48 GMT 09:48 UK

abt 23% of the population here in cameroon have access to portable water. Here in dla it is even terrible cause you can't survive on water from the tap. we have resorted to buying spring water from a production plant here in dla. The issue of privatisation comes in to play when the state can't provide enough for the people. We need other foreign investors to help.
and it also brings competition, when you are the sole provider you tend to relax but with some competition you work hard.

leila kigha, douala

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 09:40 GMT 09:40 UK

I think the idea may be good and also bad in some parts of Sudan specially in South Kordofan and Darfur its actually worse where by people drink very dirty water.Any way its good to give the private sector chance since of our government are the one contributing in making the drinking water more specially in Juba along the nile where most of the waste from the many lodges were going direct to the river and the government were there watching with there eyes only looking for collcting their tax.

Peter Pitia, Juba south Sudan

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 09:37 GMT 09:37 UK

Access to clean water is a problem in Kisii, Kenya. People walk long distances to get water that is unsafe to drink. If the private sector can help communities access to clean water at a small fee then it is reasonable. The fact remains that companies like Coca-Cola are reaping record profits from selling Desani-Water at Kshs.35 for a small bottle, however only the wealthy can afford such a luxury. What about the poor? International organizations should increase shallow water drilling projects.

Jeff Makana, Kisii, Kenya

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 09:24 GMT 09:24 UK

The water is free.

It's the supply, purification and distribution that costs.

Central governments are not efficient at running organisations.

The massive investment required for large populated areas cannot be made by governments without huge taxation. This money will have to come from just those people and organisations who support these poor economies.
Community led provision however in villages would be effective.

I want my country back NOW, United Kingdom

Recommended by 1 person

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 09:22 GMT 09:22 UK

I think is a welcoming development,because it is long over due.in lagos ,where i am staying i.e suru-lere,we are experiencing shortage of water.

Amadi Ikechukwu, lagos

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 08:59 GMT 08:59 UK

The major UN conventions like the one on economic and social growth stipulate water to be a basic need yet it is a problem. Back home in kisumu on the shores of Victoria water is a problem. Privatisation of water will not only keep the poor out but will attract greedy entreprenours if you want to kill the populace privatise water unless it be that there is a government body that will regulate their activities, but why should this happen aren't govts mandated to provide water under UN conventions

opere ferdinand, kampala, Uganda

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 08:45 GMT 08:45 UK

When it comes to the provision of a public amenity like water, the government is not reliable. On the other hand, a privately owned and run going concern will be held to ransom to deliver proper services but being driven by the profit motive, not everyone will benefit from it. I advocate Community Projects which are run and controlled by the population with technical and financial support from the government and NGOs. Only a Community based approach can best resolve some of these difficulties.

Israel Ambe Ayongwa, Bamenda, Cameroon

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 08:29 GMT 08:29 UK

Its a phonemon here in calabar that not every compound has adequate water supply,privatization is not the best way of dealing with water.The best way to deal with it is to educate the communities about how to preserved water,not wasting it,because alot of us (Africans) don't know how to preseved water.
Becos the water board which is responsible for supplying water is not going their job effectively

Eteobong Isaac akpan, Calabar,Nigeria

Recommended by 0 people

Alert a Moderator

Added: Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, 08:24 GMT 08:24 UK

In my country, i believe more than 60% of people experience water shortages. I have never and never heard a very single case of someone who doesn´t pay for water in Moz. There are some areas where people walk more than 12Km looking for water and worse off they still have to pay for it.

zeferino ugembe, maputo, mz

(1) (Reply)

Doctors Insist Yar'adua Has Churg Strauss Syndrome / Nigeria: Customs 'can't Give Accurate Figures On Oil Exports' / Lipstick On A Pig And Other Animal Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.