Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Graphic Card Issues On Sony Vaio AR630E 17" Laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Graphic Card Issues On Sony Vaio AR630E 17" Laptop (729 Views)

Cheap Brand New 14" And 17″ Laptop For $149 And $158 - N25,000 / Loss Of Sound On Sony Vaio Vgn-ar605e / Neat Tokunbo Sony Vaio 17'' Laptop With Faulty Power Switch For Sale: Cheap. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Graphic Card Issues On Sony Vaio AR630E 17" Laptop by Lofx: 4:50am On Mar 16, 2013
I got a 17" Sony Vaio AR630 laptop a few years back (2007_-2008) - supposedly highend at the time - Core 2 Duo, Nvida GeForce 8400MT 256MB, 2GB RAM, 32HDD, Blu Ray etc I named it the Kracken ("release the kracken" ;-)). After about 1 year of light usage, I was playing NFS and my system froze. I later learnt it was a graphic card issue.

I contacted Sony Nigeria (Dove Limited) at the time and they said they were not yet able to support or service sony vaio laptops (besides I imported from US). I then had to go to computer village were some guys opened up the laptop, did some abrakadabra and it started working. Problem relapsed affter about a week of light use (no more gaming). I had the guy take it back and he returned it again, same thing. 3 days and problem returned.

Now I have gone to Sony Nigeria again (2010-11), this time they can service vaio products but won't accept mine cos it had been tampered with. They offered to order a mother board replacement which costs about 120K but I will have to go and install myself since the system had been tampered with. I thought the quote was outrageous considering that I can get a new laptop in that range. I got this for about 210 - 220K back then. It was meant to be high end spec for graphics design and gaming. So I jjust dumped this and its been gathering dust since then. Comes on sometimes but some oteher times it doesn't get past the Windows laoding screen. I can start it in Safemode to copy files I need but that's it. Can't attempt to load full services on it

Wondering what options I have now.
Can I sell it in its condition? For how much? Is it worth anything?
What other repair options that does not involve total motherboard purchase?
Should I chop it up and sell the parts?
Keep it as an artifact... My first laptop purchase?
What other options should I consider?

Please assist. I am tired of watching it go to waste year by year...

(1) (Reply)

Using Opera-mini On Desktop Computers / Brandnew Phone Watch For 20k / Dell Pentium III Cheap Laptops For N20,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.