Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,321 members, 7,846,422 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Possible Solution To Okada Ban In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Possible Solution To Okada Ban In Lagos (802 Views)

Okada Ban: Motorcycle Dealers Nationwide To Cast Protest Votes / Court Grants Accelerated Hearing To Okada Riders' Suit / List The Problems In Nigeria And Your Possible Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Possible Solution To Okada Ban In Lagos by STERLING07: 6:16am On Mar 19, 2013
Hi fellow nairalanders,
The spate of okada accidents in Lagos is what i deem to have informed the decision to ban them from major roads in the state. As a matter of fact, i don't patronize commercial motorcycle operators except in situations that it's expedient for me to do so.
I have witnessed several reckless riders possibly riding under the influence of their insensitive dealings. We must however understand that there are also responsible persons who ride commercial motorcycle, some of whom have made a fortune from it. There are families that depend wholly on some of these okada riders who must now find alternative sources of income, prior to this enactment, some graduates took to okada business as an alternative to paid employment which they couldn't get.
I must state emphatically, that all sources of transportation have their own risk, it all comes down to how we manage the risks. The possible solution i believe will work and create a WIN-WIN position is that the state government should create lanes for okada on the roads from which they are banned just like it did for BRT, as a temporary measure they can share the BRT lanes pending the time this is done, the lanes should be between 3-4ft wide.
This is however not in isolation of other regulatory measures that must be adopted to ensure a seamless motorcycle transport system is attained. These measures include breath-checking, speed limit, re-training of okada riders (this can be a source of revenue, if the government deems it fit), e.t.c. & the establishment of a taskforce that would enforce these.
I'd appreciate the views of everyone on this.

Than you.
Re: Possible Solution To Okada Ban In Lagos by donadexco(m): 6:43am On Mar 19, 2013
create topics worthy of comments.. Dnt just create coz others are.. K? lipsrsealed
Re: Possible Solution To Okada Ban In Lagos by seunfly: 9:16am On Mar 19, 2013
Create okada lane you said.
Do you want to move forward or backward in developments because the money to construct okada lane will be enough to provide sensible alternatives means of transportation.
Re: Possible Solution To Okada Ban In Lagos by STERLING07: 10:53am On Mar 19, 2013
Ur views are noted. Thank you
Re: Possible Solution To Okada Ban In Lagos by azpekuliar: 11:08am On Mar 19, 2013
donadexco: create topics worthy of comments.. Dnt just create coz others are.. K? lipsrsealed

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
Re: Possible Solution To Okada Ban In Lagos by STERLING07: 10:40pm On Mar 19, 2013
How is partioning of a few yards for motorcycle riderz a capital intensive project like a light rail or other 'mordern' systems?!...lets make constructive and not uninformed comments.

(1) (Reply)

The Burdens Of Islam By Kila: A Fearless Treatise, Must Read! / Condoms Litters Boko Haram Hideouts / N3.6bn Fraud: Spanish Contractor Drags Imo Govt, Partner To EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.