Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos (25922 Views)

Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos / Minister Promised Fake, Non-existent Jobs To Nigerians / Osun State Now Offers 20,000 Jobs To Youths In 1wk, Under Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by lorenzos1: 11:58am On Mar 19, 2013
10. BUS CONDUCTORS

There’s the long working hours. There’s the life threatening occupation of hanging half-outside a speeding bus while keeping an eye out for passengers. There’s the smoke and the people you have to deal with everyday.

But the worst -ultimate worst- part of being a bus conductor is having to shout out the unpronounceable names of bus stop names while mentally calculating how much change you owe the guy in the distracting pink shirt. It easily combines our two worst activities: Shouting unpronounceable bus stop names and mathematics.

That’s why they sweat so much. You would to, if your entire day consisted of shouting such destinations as:

SABOYABACOSTAINPANGORIGO.

or

OSHODIOSHODIOSHODIOSH

or

OJUELEBGBAONIPANPANGROOO.

9. NEPA POLE GUY

First of all, working for NEPA is already considered not cool by the general populace. There was this guy in Secondary school whose dad worked for The Authorities, and every time the lights went off, we’d all look at him and shake our heads.

So not only is working for NEPA not cool, but being the Pole Guy who has to go around cutting people’s power lines just has to suck in the worst way. You’re like the bad news guy the Army sends to tell families they’ve lost someone in battle. Only imaging if it’s an army that’s already generally hated by the populace.

It’s up to you to ride in that van with the ladder, get to someone’s house, climb up the pole, disconnect the power, look down, see the crowd of angry faces waiting for you at the bottom, and decide whether descending the ladder is the best option for your general health and longevity.

8. LASTMA OFFICIAL

Everybody’ in Lagos knows who the LASTMA are. Nobody likes them. There job description consists mostly of stopping you when you desperately need to be somewhere important and having the most dull drawn out conversations. You’ll never hear a conversation like: “Oh, there are the LASTMA. Let’s go hang out with them.”

Or “Hey, let’s get them some drinks shall we?”

Never.

You just know you’re in the wrong line of work if the mere sight of you causes 20,000 people to start saying mean things about your uncle’s father’s friend in the village whom they’ve never even met before.

7. BANKER

To everybody who wants to be a banker: Undeceive yourselves. Do yourselves a favor and change your future ambitions as soon as possible. It is a trap. Banking jobs are sort of like babies. You see them all cute and cuddly and you’re like, “Awww, I’d really like to have one of my own.”. Then you decide to have one of you’re own and one day you’re up by 3 a.m changing diapers and you realize that somebody, somewhere, engaged in a bit of false advertising.

Bankers have it the worst. Their working hours are horrible. The Tellers sit behind counters all day counting money an dealing with the most obnoxious customers (to be honest, we ourselves have been the obnoxious customer many a time). Then you stay back after work closes and balance accounts. And if you make some small computing error, you can’t leave until you sort that out. And then they’re targets and goals and deadlines and stuff and about 100 million fresh eager graduates out of school just waiting to take your job.

Next time you go into a bank, show a little compassion will you? Those people have it hard. There was this guy behind the counter where I formerly used to bank, and every time I went there, his face was a cry for help. It was like dud, get me out of here.

You do not want to be a banker. Especially not in Lagos. Trust me.

6. INTERNET CAFE OWNER

Remember 2001? Internet Cafe Owners had it good that year, didn’t they? Nobody understood what the internet was really about and we were all easy prey. We’d spend 1 hour waiting for an available system, hoping the guy with 12 minutes remaining wasn’t going to purchase more time. Then you’d pay some ridiculous amount for your one hour ticket. You’d sit there in front of your system for 30 minutes waiting for Yahoo Messenger to finish loading. And at the end of it, you’d look at the owner and say Thank You Sir, For Letting Me Use Your Internet Facilities.

Now if you’re an internet cafe owner, it may be beginning to dawn on you that maybe, just maybe, you’re in the wrong line of business. Maybe it’s those empty seats. Maybe it’s the drastic reduction in cashflow. Maybe it’s just how people don’t really need you anymore. Maybe it’s how people don’t even bother to accuse you of harboring Yahoo guys.

Everybody’s got a laptop now. And those who don’t have smart phones. And guess what, they can access the internet too.

Internet cafes have gone from this:

To this:

To this:

If you know any internet cafe owners, give them a hug.

5. PLUMBER

Quite possibly, and this is just an assumption made after a few months of casual observation, Lagos has the worst drainage system in the world. There are literally hundreds of thousands of houses in Lagos. This translates to millions of toilets flushing at any point on time.

We don’t want to dwell on this too much, but imagine for a moment the nasty surprises that await the Plumber. Imaging the sort of surprises that get mixed up in the convoluted network that runs beneath the city.

You’d turn up to fix a blocked pipe in Festac, and before you know it, you’re unclogging bottles from Alausa, pure water packs from Fadeyi and perhaps a Yatch or two from Ikoyi.

4. GATEMAN

There’s nothing wrong about holding doors open for people. Gates on the other hand, are a problem.

It would drive me crazy, repeating that simple process of walking to a car, looking at the occupants as if they were all under suspicion, walking to the gate, dragging it open, dragging it shut, and then waiting for when the people who just drove in minutes ago, want to leave. Then the other 90% of the time, you’re sitting out there in the sun doing absolutely nothing.

3. CHAUFFEUR

People always complain about the Lagos traffic. The only people who don’t are Drivers. Why? They’ve seen it all. All sorts of traffic. The short ones. The long ones. The ones that end at the next red Light, and the ones that end in another state. They’ve spent hours on 3rd Mainland enjoying the view. They’ve understood the inner workings of that Iyana Ipaja. They have a fond relationship with Ibadan Expressway.

I’m not talking about cab drivers, who spend a lot of time coasting around eyeballing pedestrians and dreaming up impossible price fares. I don’t think anyone who hasn’t been a driver can adequately appreciate how much misery the job must entail.

2. NSCDC LAGOS COMMANDANT

Man. This is a major contender for the worst job in Lagos. You know Mr Shem of course. And if you don’t you need to watch this.

Let’s just put it this way, there’s no man in town who is the brunt of as many jokes as this poor fellow.

First came the memes

And merchandise.

And a remix.

And a skank

1. GOVERNOR- LAGOS STATE

There are about 21 million people crammed into this tiny state. And every morning, every one of these people is looking up to this guy to somehow keep them safe and magically better their lives.

And if you’re the governor, while you’re doing this you have to keep an eye out for political enemies who are trying to make you look bad and summarily lose your job.

Then figure out how to deal with pollution.

And over population.

And crime.

And bad roads.

And Commandants who don’t know their organisation’s website addresses.

And 21 million of us.

Worst. Job. Ever.

http://miabaga.com/p/top-ten-worst-jobs-to-have-in-lagos/

89 Likes

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Akshow: 1:30pm On Mar 19, 2013
Nice one. Lol at the cyber cafe. So true.

3 Likes

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 19, 2013
Eko o ni baje..

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by ebamma(m): 3:08pm On Mar 19, 2013
11) Ashawo/runs girl:u go make money but if u no get luck u fit carry aids or gonorrhea, or man fit use u do ritual
12)Armed robber:U fit thief for 20yrs for lagos but one unlucky day may lead u to jail or police bullet go carry u straight to hellfire.
13)Okada rider:as lagos don ban okadas for major highways, if u are an okada man beware of were u dey enter or else na police or lastma go use u make money

11 Likes

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 19, 2013
That No 2 job... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by solid3(m): 3:11pm On Mar 19, 2013
That lastma is d worst.
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 3:12pm On Mar 19, 2013
ebamma: .

This nutsack is still doing this rubbish... grin

SMH
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by yuzedo: 3:12pm On Mar 19, 2013
Lol @ No. 1! grin

.... My uncle really has it tough. He is always complaining to me, Yuzedo, this my job is very tough. When i make you a governor soon, you will understand.
But i never believe him. I don't! cry undecided
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 19, 2013
NSCDC LAGOS COMMANDANT

I will rather say this one is foolish and doesn't belong to the class of worst jobs in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by spywareczar(m): 3:14pm On Mar 19, 2013
Internet cafe business is washing out

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Pray(m): 3:14pm On Mar 19, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 19, 2013
Lool!
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by InvertedHammer: 3:15pm On Mar 19, 2013
lorenzos1: 10. BUS CONDUCTORS

OJUELEBGBAONIPANPANGROOO.

9. NEPA POLE GUY

It’s up to you to ride in that van with the ladder, get to someone’s house, climb up the pole, disconnect the power, look down, see the crowd of angry faces waiting for you at the bottom, and decide whether descending the ladder is the best option for your general health and longevity.

THESE TWO GOT TO BE IT. Talk about stress!
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Gcares(m): 3:15pm On Mar 19, 2013
right now i couldn"t agree more with you.
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Ndyoo(m): 3:16pm On Mar 19, 2013
lol...I still envy Governor fashola,one day I will be a leader,a governor for my own state-Anambra.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by jacob05(m): 3:16pm On Mar 19, 2013
LOL @ No 2
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 3:17pm On Mar 19, 2013
This is LAGOS! Lagos nawa...
But dat bank work I disagree wit u @ op.

3rd to comment sha!
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by miteolu(m): 3:18pm On Mar 19, 2013
@ OP. You have passed this information through one of your ten worst jobs.
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Tjohn1(m): 3:18pm On Mar 19, 2013
i'll like to do the number 1 job, at least i will steal enough money for my unborn children grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Etumgbe(m): 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2013
Wat of INSURANCE JOB?

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by oloto(m): 3:19pm On Mar 19, 2013
but they earn their money, don't they? undecided

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Temismith(f): 3:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
Space Keeped
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by WHIZBRO(m): 3:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
Sincere 9gerian has the worse job in Lagos state
Defending the indefensible and smiling while the buffoon defiles his ugly ass
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by dulphines: 3:21pm On Mar 19, 2013
Nice one!
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 19, 2013
Lol, nice compilation. But that cafe thing na die
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by hunda: 3:21pm On Mar 19, 2013
true talk,so funny yet True especially that plumber tins
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Tunjman(m): 3:21pm On Mar 19, 2013
The number one job can only be hectic for those that really want to work...
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Warlord3000(m): 3:22pm On Mar 19, 2013
Funny but true...

Me still likey the bank job sha smiley
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by emiye(m): 3:23pm On Mar 19, 2013
so much for top ten worst jobs
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Rooneyboy(m): 3:23pm On Mar 19, 2013
oh goodness !

What a crazy poster grin grin grin

You've made my day man .
Re: Top Ten Worst Jobs To Have In Lagos by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 19, 2013
Lol. Give me No.1's job, I don't mind the hassle that comes with it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rochas To Pay All Unemployed Imo Graduates Monthly Allowances. / Got An Invite From Workforce / Nampak Cartons Nigeria Ltd Management Trainee Recruitment, September 10th 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.