Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,550 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Why I Am Going Into Blogging - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why I Am Going Into Blogging (1964 Views)

If You Want To Venture Into Blogging Then This Is For You / Posting Information Into Blogging Through Mailling. / Why I Can't Start A New Topic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Jarus(m): 10:57pm On Mar 19, 2013
Dear friends,

I wish to formally inform you that I have gone into semi-full time blogging.

I have privately blogged for almost 4 years actually, but the blog (www.jarus..com) was majorly to archive my political interventions.

After giving it so much thought and consulting techies (Seun has been one of my pillars and advisers, I have decided to launch my own blog.

This is different from my old blog and my goal is to break into Nigeria's top 5 blogs after one year, and by the end of second year by God's grace, we want to be mentioned in the same breathe with Linda Ikeji, Bella Naija, Sahara Reporters and Nairaland and formidable forces in online Nigeria.

I know that's a very tall ambition, given the failure rate of similar blogging dreams in the past. But is there anything wrong in trying?

But something keeps telling me that I can be a successful blogger. I have been doing some readings in recent time and consulting with elders in the trade. Seun has especially been very supportive. Almsot every single action I have taken so far I sought his advice.

After so much considerations, I settled for Jarushub as the name of the blog.

I have assembled a couple of savvy friends to assist in getting content (although so far, save our Jega scoop, every other content is entirely mine)

Our style is to blend political news with analyses. We also want to make career and mentorship our niche. I'm not an entertainment buff, but unfortunately, entertainment is what sells blogs most in Nigeria ( I met an American blogger while researching whose blog is solely on Christian Personal Finance - very narrow to me but the guy is making cool cash from the blog and resigned his daily job to face the blog which is what he does full time now. Can such narrow topic ever sell in Nigeria?. Although we know entertainment blogging space is saturated in Nigeria with the Linda Ikejis of this world, but we still want to try our hands on that too, while trying to carve a niche on career/mentorship and analyses.

I bank strongly on my modest network to scoop news and exclusive interviews. I also believe my penchant for this Top 10 this, Top 10 that (which you all know me for here) can be put to professional use there.

So dear landers, I present to you JARUSHUB.......Nigeria's block on the blog: www.jarushub.

I'm still working on it.

PS: Can I leave my O&G job for fulltime blogging? Let's get to the brdige first. But never say never.

I welcome your comments, advice and opinion. I solicit your support in making JARUSHUB the next big thing in CyberNigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 19, 2013
It's a good thing you started blogging.
One of the keys to success in blogging is actually consistency.
Content also matters. Then marketing and keywords with a unique niche will play a big role in gaining your own audience.
Besides all these, you have also chosen to use wordpress which I think is a fantastic cms platform but I would encourage you to get a domain name and hosting to make it much easier and accessible. Using the wordpress sub domain just doesn't cut it for me so I'll be offering to give you a "swoosh" design once you have that done. It's gonna be (FOC) and due to the goodwill you have here.

***I'm usually very picky with site's and blogs I work on***
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by treqharpz: 4:20am On Mar 20, 2013
Is lyk everybody z blogging big time. I wonda if dis blog z kul or nat i nid ur comment. I lyk critics alot try it n tel me sth. i min u must 'tok sth'.
Try. http://Treqharpz.instantcom.track.clicksure.com?lp=2
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Afam4eva(m): 4:45am On Mar 20, 2013
[size=13pt]It's good to know that you've decided to take the bull by the horn and go into blogging full time and compete with the likes of Linda Ikeji and Bella Naija but i don't think it's ideal to leave a free hosted blog() for another free hosted software(). I'll advise you get yourself a customized domain name and host it. So, instead of jarushub., it will be jarushub.com. At least secure the domain name else someone else will.[/size]
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Jarus(m): 7:42am On Mar 20, 2013
Thanks. That was the first thing I did. I have secured jarushub.com already.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 20, 2013
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 20, 2013
And did you get hosting for it? Wordpress blogs need a hosting account if moving to your own domain name unlike blogger which can be redirected.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by dont8(m): 8:04am On Mar 20, 2013
Good one
Jarus, like someone rightly mentioned, you have to be consistent to achieve your goal. I wish you the best ahead.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by maclatunji: 8:29am On Mar 20, 2013
Jarus, I could have told you for free that you would do this. Let me give you advice that is worth at least N100,000. Start with http://www.jarushub.com point your current blog to this domain name and save yourself time and effort.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by maclatunji: 8:32am On Mar 20, 2013
Afam4eva: [size=13pt]It's good to know that you've decided to take the bull by the horn and go into blogging full time and compete with the likes of Linda Ikeji and Bella Naija but i don't think it's ideal to leave a free hosted blog() for another free hosted software(). I'll advise you get yourself a customized domain name and host it. So, instead of jarushub., it will be jarushub.com. At least secure the domain name else someone else will.[/size]

It is not just about securing the domain name, it is also about his ranking and SEO too. It is totally inefficient starting from a subdomain before moving to full domain.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Jarus(m): 12:44pm On Mar 20, 2013
maclatunji: Jarus, I could have told you for free that you would do this. Let me give you advice that is worth at least N100,000. Start with http://www.jarushub.com point your current blog to this domain name and save yourself time and effort.

I have domain name www.jarushub.com already, to point to it today.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by maclatunji: 3:27pm On Mar 20, 2013
Jarus:

I have domain name www.jarushub.com already, to point to it today.

Your life will not be the same again after completing the process. It is a big step-up (in mindset) as simple as it seems.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Seun(m): 3:36pm On Mar 20, 2013
maclatunji:
Your life will not be the same again after completing the process. It is a big step-up (in mindset) as simple as it seems.
A big step that Linda Ikeji has not yet made while she continues to kick the ass of every other blogger in the country.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by maclatunji: 4:06pm On Mar 20, 2013
Seun:
A big step that Linda Ikeji has not yet made while she continues to kick the ass of every other blogger in the country.

The day Linda Ikeji does it, she will acknowledge that it is a big step-up.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Jarus(m): 4:27pm On Mar 20, 2013
maclatunji:

The day Linda Ikeji does it, she will acknowledge that it is a big step-up.
From my enquiries, someone had quickly gone ahead to register lindaikeji.com and the person is asking for money to sell it to her. She refused. Hence her continuous use of .com.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nobody: 4:53pm On Mar 20, 2013
Jarus:
From my enquiries, someone had quickly gone ahead to register lindaikeji.com and the person is asking for money to sell it to her. She refused. Hence her continuous use of .com.

Apc all over again. This sort of crap makes me ashamed to be a nigerian
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by maclatunji: 4:59pm On Mar 20, 2013
Jarus:

Don't mind Seun, the first thing anybody analysing Linda's blog will say is: "Get your own freaking domain name".

Even Aljazeera dropped http://www.aljazeera.net/English for http://www.aljazeera.com. They must have had the same problem before paying for the .com domain.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by AjanleKoko: 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2013
oyb:

You never read about the RIM-NTP patent brouhaha of 2005-2007?
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by maclatunji: 5:09pm On Mar 20, 2013
oyb:

It is a global phenomenon. I forgot the technical term for it.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Seun(m): 5:20pm On Mar 20, 2013
Jarus:
I figured that, but here's the thing. Her blog is beating every other blog, despite not taking that step, which shows that it is not a requirement for success, though it's better to have your own domain. People starting new businesses tend to get fixated on less relevant things. Focus on your content. There's no reason why you could not have simply started posting more compelling articles on your regular blog. And once you started getting traffic, you could have moved to your own domain. Don't promote your blog, promote your stories. People won't care about your blog until they recognize it as as a regular source of compelling content.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 20, 2013
AjanleKoko:

You never read about the RIM-NTP patent brouhaha of 2005-2007?

i just read it up

not quite the same thing imho

whoever registered lindaikeji.com is probably just an it savvy huckster who saw her blog was taking off an wanted to play a fast one. might even be that nefarious lailaikeji character
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Jarus(m): 8:03pm On Mar 20, 2013
oyb:

i just read it up

not quite the same thing imho

whoever registered lindaikeji.com is probably just an it savvy huckster who saw her blog was taking off an wanted to play a fast one. might even be that nefarious lailaikeji character

It's a way people make money. It has a term I can't recall.

You quickly register the domain for no use other than to make profit.

While APC is still talking about other things I can quickly go register trhe domain apc.com or allprogressivecongress.com etc, just to pre-empt them and make money from it when they realize they want to open one.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 20, 2013
let us not forget it took Linda Ikeji 6 good years to get it right. I could have been shorter if she took those necessary steps.
Her success is based on hardcore determination and steadfastness. Only a few bloggers can persevere that long before making a dime.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nobody: 8:47pm On Mar 20, 2013
Jarus:
It has a term I can't recall.
It;s called domain real estate investment. It's a free market and based on a first come first serve basis.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nobody: 8:47pm On Mar 20, 2013
Jarus:
It has a term I can't recall.
It;s called domain real estate investment. It's a free market and it's on a first come first serve basis.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by moderatorr: 9:19pm On Mar 20, 2013
Jarus:

While APC is still talking about other things I can quickly go register trhe domain apc.com or allprogressivecongress.com etc, just to pre-empt them and make money from it when they realize they want to open one.
she can linda-ikeji , lindaikejiblog.com, linda-ikejiblog.com, lindaikejipost.com
the iterations are endless.
She just doesnt want to.
If u try that with apc, you'll see them register something like apc2015.com.ng daz all
youl?ll never get paid

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Nehemiah459(m): 11:30pm On Mar 20, 2013
Seun:
I figured that, but here's the thing. Her blog is beating every other blog, despite not taking that step, which shows that it is not a requirement for success, though it's better to have your own domain. People starting new businesses tend to get fixated on less relevant things. Focus on your content. There's no reason why you could not have simply started posting more compelling articles on your regular blog. And once you started getting traffic, you could have moved to your own domain. Don't promote your blog, promote your stories. People won't care about your blog until they recognize it as as a regular source of compelling content.

Registering a domain is usually a giant leap which don't seem to yield any income most time. Like you said among the most important is your content, dedication and mindset, which will bring about promotion.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by yamakuza: 5:34am On Mar 21, 2013
Congrats. Nice and bold move there.

Jarus:

Cybersquatting, i guess.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Mobsync(m): 5:48am On Mar 21, 2013
maclatunji:

It is a global phenomenon. I forgot the technical term for it.

It's called cybersquatting.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by maclatunji: 8:32am On Mar 21, 2013
Mobsync:

It's called cybersquatting.

OK, thank you for the reminder.
Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by Afam4eva(m): 8:49am On Mar 21, 2013
moderatorr:
she can linda-ikeji , lindaikejiblog.com, linda-ikejiblog.com, lindaikejipost.com
the iterations are endless.
She just doesnt want to.
If u try that with apc, you'll see them register something like apc2015.com.ng daz all
youl?ll never get paid
If e no be panadol, e no fit be like panadol.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Going Into Blogging by adewaleh(m): 9:01am On Mar 21, 2013
I think the content will be more important than the domain name... cool

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Nairaland Post Links Dofollow Or Nofollow? / Top 10 Reasons Not To Use Wordpress / Only For Webmasters On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.