Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. (1858 Views)

Dangers Of Harmattan And How To Cope With It / Reverse My Tinnitus Review By Alan Watson And Dr. James Phillips / Doctors To Treat Deafness With Snake Poison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. by Yagba: 11:46am On Mar 21, 2013
I lost my hearing sometimes in June 2010, shortly after my discharge from the hospital where I was treated with antibiotics, including gentamycin-IV, flagyl-IV, chloramphenicol capsules, and later, floxacilin tabs. I don't think I can remember all the drugs. The hearing loss started from the right ear and spread to the left within four days. I was later told that the effect of the drugs were responsible. A doctor who wasn't happy with the combination explained that some drugs are "ototoxic" so caution is always exercised in administering them on patients. He, however, said sometimes such combinations are necessary to save life, with hearing loss as a necessary price. However, I wasn't sick to the point of death: I had fever and sought treatment from an old doctor who had been treating other members of my family quite successfully. My nephew had typhoid and was passing out bloody stool but the same doctor treated him successfully. I had trust in Him. But, looking back, I keep wondering why the doctor objected to my request for discharge when I felt better after three days on admission. He said he wanted the course of the drugs he prescribed to be exhausted before my discharge. On the fourth day, I started losing appetite, I also had stomach pain. At a point I told my wife that I suspected the drugs were now my problems. She conveyed this to the doctor but he dismissed it. And, I was never told whether I had some kind of incurable disease or what was the real problem. I tested negative to HIV, and still do. A nurse later told me there were traces of typhoid, but not much. For whatever reason, the doctor kept me there for nine days and continue to pump drugs into my veins. By this time, I was tired and had to be supported to the toilet. Another Doctor-friend who visited me advised that I be transferred to another hospital owned by a medical consultant. On the tenth day of my admission, I was moved to the consultant's clinic. Here, I stayed for another ten days. Most of the drugs administered on me there were antioxidants-IV and a couple of tablets. I was also given floxacilin capsules. A day before my discharge, I lost hearing in the right ear. I told the consultant but he wasn't willing to discuss it, he merely said when I came from the other hospital I wasn't even "talking well". Well, I got better physically but lost hearing in the remaining ear, the left one, four days after the discharge.

Now, I'm profoundly deaf. I have this variety of sound in my head that makes life sometimes meaningless to me. I was over 48 years of age when this happened, I will be 51 in 5 days-March 26th. 2013. I have been told I need a cochlear implant to hear again. Cochlear implants cost between 60-70 thousand US dollars-so I was told. I'm a salary earner, about to retire in two years. I can't afford the implant, and my employer won't help either. I have kids to train with the little I'm earning. What I need is a "quiet time". If anyone would offer tips that could help in reducing these terrible sound in my head I will be most grateful. Thank you as I wait for your response.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
sad Awwww I felt bad reading this. I'm terribly sorry. I don't have any clues as to what can reduce the noise in your head but I'd do some research. Once again I'm sorry Sir. Do take things easy and may God help you. Amen.
Re: I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. by Yagba: 10:43am On Mar 24, 2013
Vanneni: sad Awwww I felt bad reading this. I'm terribly sorry. I don't have any clues as to what can reduce the noise in your head but I'd do some research. Once again I'm sorry Sir. Do take things easy and may God help you. Amen.

Thank you. Unknown to many, such expressions as yours, verbal or written, do have certain positive effects in the psyche of people in this kind of situation. I appreciate.

I am not giving up, I believe humans are yet to exhaust their God-given gift of solving their physical problems by themselves. And, where human knowledge fails, God comes in with His healing grace. Therefore,either ways, I remain hopeful.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. by baby124: 2:29pm On Mar 24, 2013
It seems like you didn't complete the course of your treatment. What nature of infection was this? Do you have a good Ear, nose and Throat doctor around you? Do your research well and try the lagos teaching hospital. Let them do a comprehensive exam. To see if the infection was well treated and if there can be relief for the noise. Also look online for experiences of recently deaf people to see if the noise is normal. Am hoping that if you can hear the noise in your head, then you may not be totally deaf. Treating typhoid which is a regular illness in Nigeria is far different from the specialty that would ne needed to treat your condition. So that doctor may not be as competent as you think. I think lasuth is best, so a team of doctors can come together to agree of a good course of treatment or relief.
Re: I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
Yagba:

Thank you. Unknown to many, such expressions as yours, verbal or written, do have certain positive effects in the psyche of people in this kind of situation. I appreciate.

I am not giving up, I believe humans are yet to exhaust their God-given gift of solving their physical problems by themselves. And, where human knowledge fails, God comes in with His healing grace. Therefore,either ways, I remain hopeful.
You're welcome. cheesy cheesy Good attitude Sir. May God be with you.
Re: I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. by ElaineFoster: 9:46pm On Mar 24, 2013
Last year due to hayfever and sinus problems I developed tinnitus - western medicine say its not curable but the chinese claim it is. You will now to have train your brain to focus on something else, its very difficult,I know.
Re: I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. by Yagba: 6:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
baby_123: It seems like you didn't complete the course of your treatment. What nature of infection was this? Do you have a good Ear, nose and Throat doctor around you? Do your research well and try the lagos teaching hospital. Let them do a comprehensive exam. To see if the infection was well treated and if there can be relief for the noise. Also look online for experiences of recently deaf people to see if the noise is normal. Am hoping that if you can hear the noise in your head, then you may not be totally deaf. Treating typhoid which is a regular illness in Nigeria is far different from the specialty that would ne needed to treat your condition. So that doctor may not be as competent as you think. I think lasuth is best, so a team of doctors can come together to agree of a good course of treatment or relief.

Thank you. I believe I completed the course of treatment prescribed by the doctor in the first hospital where I stayed for ten days. After series of tests, including X-rays, a nurse mentioned that traces of typhoid bacterial were found in my blood, but that they were too insignificant to worry about. As I said in my initial post, I felt better after three days of treatment and requested to go home but the doctors kept me there and continued with the treatment, which was made up of more iv-drugs than the oral ones.My body became weaker as the treatment progressed. I had to be moved to another hospital. I had no problems with my ears, nose or throat. I was quite healthy before the fever that took me to the hospital. The consultant who last handled my case told me there were no infections. He, however, refused to discuss the probable cause of my deafness and tinnitus. I have also been attending ENT clinic where an ENT consultant assessed me and sent me to Abuja for some tests, after which he recommended cochlear implant. I also went to a private audiologist at Enugu who also, after conducting some tests, said implant would benefit me the most. I have equally been using the internet to access information on such issues, and I have subscribed to Tinnitue Newsletter, published by a US Tinnitus "expert". They have what they call "Tinnitus Combo pack", a drug in capsules, but its orders are for those living in the US only. I take green tea and a lot of fruits, which seems to have cut down certain unnerving "tunes" that were almost sending me crazy. I have also cut down on salt and fresh meat, particularly the red type of fresh meat-as advised in an e-mailed written tips on how to manage Tinnitus. Actually, I wouldn't be typing these lines if the condition remains as it was in the beginning. There are, of course, very stressful moments, but I have been managing to cope with it.

I thank you and everyone here of your concern. God bless you all.
Re: I Need Advice On How To Cope With Deafness And Tinnitus. by Yagba: 7:07pm On Mar 25, 2013
Elaine Foster: Last year due to hayfever and sinus problems I developed tinnitus - western medicine say its not curable but the chinese claim it is. You will now to have train your brain to focus on something else, its very difficult,I know.

I wish you a "quiet time", Elaine. I hope the Chinese actually mean what they claim. I will try find out what they've got to offer.

(1) (Reply)

Mcdonald’s Burgers “unfit For Human Consumption" / Finding It Difficult To Satisfy Ur Man Or Woman During Sex?here Is A Solution / Resident Doctors’ One Week Nationwide Warning Strike Begins Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.