Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date (20833 Views)

Shareholders Hail Gtbankā€™s Performance, Approve Dividend / Forte Oil PLC (formerly AP) Has Returne Over 700% From Dec 2012 To Date. Wow / Getting Up-to-date Stock Price Information From The Nse Website - Any Ideas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by AjanleKoko: 11:30am On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

Please share your experience with us, i don't want to be the only person doing the talking.

Were you a short term trader, long term investor, or you do a combination of both.

I have 4 stock broking accounts, that were used for different purposes, trading, long term investment and real estate investment.

Well, during that period, I did both short term trading (using a broker), and I did value investing as well.
I started in 2001, signed up with a broker, and opened a trading account which is still active till date. Also started doing commercial papers with Denham at the time.

I also particpated in a lot of the post-consolidation IPOs, and private placements. Also did mutual funds with ARM (Discovery, Aggressive Growth), and IBTC Equity, which are still active, though the AGF and IBTC Equity took major hits as a result of the stock market tank in 2009.

Most of my blue chip stocks were bought off the secondary market, like Guinness, WAMCO, Nestle, etc., as well as public offers for FBN, GT Bank, Oando, WAPCO Lafarge, and a host of others. Also did private placements with the likes of IGI, ARM Properties (which is why some of us support the toll road grin)

I took a break in 2009 to focus on real estate, mostly due to the crash of the markets. This had mixed results. I lost a significant amount of money on some very bad buys and also suffered due to lack of information about the dynamics of the market. Also have money stuck in some of the frozen projects along the Lekki-Epe expressway, but still managed to make some valuable purchases. Which forms my conclusion that the real estate industry is still in embryo stage, not even infancy. You have to get down and dirty to make it in real estate.

I've also done some private equity investing in ventures within and outside Nigeria, which is beginning to show some positive results. But these days I am starting to trade actively on the short sell. The market is starting to pick up again, so some coins can still be made there wink

2 Likes

Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by feelamong(m): 11:36am On Mar 27, 2013
At times it seems like you are preaching when you tell people to take time and study the market and coys they are investing in...Manie has said it all!

For anyone to make money in any endeavour, it takes time and energy! you also have to be patience!

I have made money and also losses in the market but in all I have made more money than losses! Just a few of months ago.. I bought Diamond bank at N1.99, sterling at 0.99k and UBA at N2.

I intend to hold these stocks for the next five years at least before i start selling for a start up...

The less people that understand the market.. the better for us!! no wonder its so diff to make the kind of money we make in the NSE in the LSE!
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by oseiwe(m): 11:53am On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

Your shares are intact, go to CSL Registrars at Tinubu St. Lagos. The registrars is located in the Head office of FCMB.

Thanks, but I'm in Benin, I bought it in Benin too. Do you have their email?
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by oseiwe(m): 12:07pm On Mar 27, 2013
I also bought shares from daar communications, I no see any response, no certificate, just a copy of d form and deposit slip. How do I go about that one? Its 5000 shares.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
Xsolutions: @Manie:Thank's for opening this thread...i believe this is going to be one of the best nairaland thread ever.
Pls for some of us who don't really know our 'left from right' as per Shares,could you turn this thread to your virtual classroom?
Thanks.
Besides...what's the difference btw Shares and Stocks??

I think they are the same. I think Americans call shareholders, stockholders.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:27pm On Mar 27, 2013
Redoil: apart from the banking stocks which other sector do you think is profitable

Cement manufacturing stocks, Agricultural stocks like Okomu and Presco, Pharmaceutical sector, Food and beverages sector.

If the power generating firms are privatised, it wont be a bad idea to invest in them.

Banking stocks like FBN, GTB, Zenith and may be UBA are okay at the current prices. I only have my reservations for the management style of Tony, but Tony is no longer in the bank.

We have a lot of stocks that we can all analyse and discuss about.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:30pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Well, during that period, I did both short term trading (using a broker), and I did value investing as well.
I started in 2001, signed up with a broker, and opened a trading account which is still active till date. Also started doing commercial papers with Denham at the time.

I also particpated in a lot of the post-consolidation IPOs, a[b]nd private placements.[/b] Also did mutual funds with ARM (Discovery, Aggressive Growth), and IBTC Equity, which are still active, though the AGF and IBTC Equity took major hits as a result of the stock market tank in 2009.

Most of my blue chip stocks were bought off the secondary market, like Guinness, WAMCO, Nestle, etc., as well as public offers for FBN, GT Bank, Oando, WAPCO Lafarge, and a host of others. Also did private placements with the likes of IGI, ARM Properties (which is why some of us support the toll road grin)

I took a break in 2009 to focus on real estate, mostly due to the crash of the markets. This had mixed results. I lost a significant amount of money on some very bad buys and also suffered due to lack of information about the dynamics of the market. Also have money stuck in some of the frozen projects along the Lekki-Epe expressway, but still managed to make some valuable purchases. Which forms my conclusion that the real estate industry is still in embryo stage, not even infancy. You have to get down and dirty to make it in real estate.

I've also done some private equity investing in ventures within and outside Nigeria, which is beginning to show some positive results. But these days I am starting to trade actively on the short sell. The market is starting to pick up again, so some coins can still be made there wink

That means you were one of the investors that sold their blue chip stocks to invest in Private placements. How are the private Placements doing.

Private Placement and over priced Public Offers were the major scam used to defraud the gullible retail investors.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:31pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I also particpated in a lot of the post-consolidation IPOs, and private placements. Also did mutual funds with ARM (Discovery, Aggressive Growth), and IBTC Equity, which are still active, though the AGF and IBTC Equity took major hits as a result of the stock market tank in 2009.

When will Remi Olowude list the shares of IGI on the stock exchange?
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:33pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

How are your blue chip stocks doing? Have you sold them?
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:35pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

That is why anybody who is not taking positions now, will have his or her self to blame when the party starts in full swing.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:38pm On Mar 27, 2013
feelamong: At times it seems like you are preaching when you tell people to take time and study the market and coys they are investing in...Manie has said it all!

For anyone to make money in any endeavour, it takes time and energy! you also have to be patience!

I have made money and also losses in the market but in all I have made more money than losses! Just a few of months ago.. I bought Diamond bank at N1.99, sterling at 0.99k and UBA at N2.

I intend to hold these stocks for the next five years at least before i start selling for a start up...

The less people that understand the market.. the better for us!! no wonder its so diff to make the kind of money we make in the NSE in the LSE!

You are a bad guy. So you are okay when 2% of Nigerians with the right knowledge are controlling more than 80% of the National wealth.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
oseiwe:

Thanks, but I'm in Benin, I bought it in Benin too. Do you have their email?

https://csrl.firstcitygroup.com/aboutus.aspx

This is their web site.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by Josh121(m): 12:43pm On Mar 27, 2013
@ Manie How do you see this two stocks , Nahco and Nascon .
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 12:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
Josh121: @ Manie How do you see this two stocks , Nahco and Nascon .

I don't have NASCON, but I have NAHCO.

NAHCO has been a good stock to me, I bought NAHCO when it was privatised in 2004 by Obasanjo.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 1:00pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

97 naira in 2004 for the public offer. There wasn't any IPO because UNIPETROL (their predecessor) was already listed at that time, and was trading.
Oando has been one of the worst-performing stocks in recent history. Definitely one of the worst for me[b], which is why I ignored their recent rights issue[/b]. Even the bonuses and dividends have not been impressive.

Did not take my right of either, but I speculated on the stock by buying for between N13.00 and N13.80k on the floor.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 1:06pm On Mar 27, 2013
Redoil: i am left with only one choice to bow to ur superior reasons and arguments. well done and continue the good work. You deserve a big drum of ogogoro for a job well done.

I don't drink, i used to own shares in NB, but I am left with Guinness shares. A bottle of malta Guinness, is just okay for me.

1 Like

Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 1:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

You know, I did that N600 NBL analysis.
Even if the stock was priced at 1 naira a share back then (which was impossible in 1972), and the company did a 1:1 every four years since then, you would have ended up with around 307,000 shares today (2013).

Though you could argue that N600 (300 Nigerian pounds) in 1972 was most people's six months or 1 year salary. A brand new car in 1972 (Opel Kadett), bought by my father, sold for less than one thousand Nigerian pounds.

I was born around that era my mom said she got a total of 50 Naira during my christening. They used the money to buy blocks for the foundation of our house. May be they should have invested the money on NB shares on my behalf.

The money made during the naming of my Son was used in buying good stocks for him, i know he will thank his parents when he graduates from the University in 17 years time.

1 Like

Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by debeey87(m): 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2013
Pls can anyone talk on what is happening to Dangote Sugar share
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by mrjingles(m): 1:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
The problem with Oando is their business model, I think only the downstream portion of the overall business is listed, the upstream and midstream divisions are isolated from the listed business, in addition the complicated transfer pricing strategy within the downstream business means most of the income does not flow to the listed business. Its not a good buy from my limited knowledge. Its just a structure designed to benefit a few of the owners. I don't blame them but investors should "shine eye" by doing proper research. The number one killer in investing is lack of knowledge because of failure to do proper due diligence. In other words laziness.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 1:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
mrjingles: The problem with Oando is their business model, I think only the downstream portion of the overall business is listed, the upstream and midstream divisions are isolated from the listed business, in addition the complicated transfer pricing strategy within the downstream business means most of the income does not flow to the listed business. Its not a good buy from my limited knowledge. Its just a structure designed to benefit a few of the owners. I don't blame them but investors should "shine eye" by doing proper research. The number one killer in investing is lack of knowledge because of failure doing due diligence. In other words laziness.

I think the management of OANDO deliberately made their business model to be unnecessarily complex and difficult to under stand. I don't know what they hope to get from this.

2 Likes

Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by AjanleKoko: 1:56pm On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

When will Remi Olowude list the shares of IGI on the stock exchange?

That guy has been proven to be a scammer.
Just like his Monacom, he obviously used the IGI private placement to canvass for funds.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 1:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
mrjingles: The problem with Oando is their business model, I think only the downstream portion of the overall business is listed, the upstream and midstream divisions are isolated from the listed business, in addition the complicated transfer pricing strategy within the downstream business means most of the income does not flow to the listed business. Its not a good buy from my limited knowledge. Its just a structure designed to benefit a few of the owners. I don't blame them but investors should "shine eye" by doing proper research. The number one killer in investing is lack of knowledge because of failure to do proper due diligence. In other words laziness.

Those guys were not the most qualified core investor for OANDO, but we saw what Fela called government magic in action during that final privatisation of UNIPETROL.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 1:59pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

That guy has been proven to be a scammer.
Just like his Monacom, he obviously used the IGI private placement to canvass for funds.

i thought it would be difficult for anybody to scam me, but I fell for this guy just because he attends the same church with my Mother-in-law. The guy is a Baptist.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by AjanleKoko: 2:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

How are your blue chip stocks doing? Have you sold them?

I sold off more than half of my value portfolio in 2009, to invest in real estate. I still have a reasonable holding of blue-chip stocks.

manie:

That means you were one of the investors that sold their blue chip stocks to invest in Private placements. How are the private Placements doing.

Private Placement and over priced Public Offers were the major scam used to defraud the gullible retail investors.

I didn't sell my blue-chip stocks to finance those. I usually use my performance bonuses, leave allowance, and even accessed unsecured personal loans, which some of my colleagues then were using to import Tokunbo jeeps from America.

Not all the private placements were bad, but they were expensive, very expensive. Some of them, like ARM Properties, pay reasonable dividends.

Apart from Oando, most of the public offers were not overpriced in my view. Between 2004 and 2006, there were public offers from GT, Access, FBN, Intercontinental, IBTC, Zenith. If you cashed out at the right time for the likes of IBTC and Zenit, you should have been smiling. I bought Zenith in 2004 at 10.60, and exited at 61 naira in 2007.

Intercontinental also was a good buy at the time. I cashed out early but I was still able to receive up to 8,000 units in bonus shares. After the rebasing due to the takeover by access, I think it came out to a little under 2k units.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 2:14pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I sold off more than half of my value portfolio in 2009, to invest in real estate. I still have a reasonable holding of blue-chip stocks.

I didn't sell my blue-chip stocks to finance those. I usually use my performance bonuses, leave allowance, and even accessed unsecured personal loans, which some of my colleagues then were using to import Tokunbo jeeps from America.

Not all the private placements were bad, but they were expensive, very expensive. Some of them, like ARM Properties, pay reasonable dividends.

Apart from Oando, most of the public offers were not overpriced in my view. Between 2004 and 2006, there were public offers from GT, Access, FBN, Intercontinental, IBTC, Zenith. If you cashed out at the right time for the likes of IBTC and Zenit, you should have been smiling. I bought Zenith in 2004 at 10.60, and exited at 61 naira in 2007.

Intercontinental also was a good buy at the time. I cashed out early but I was still able to receive up to 8,000 units in bonus shares. After the rebasing due to the takeover by access, I think it came out to a little under 2k units.

You are a smart guy, are you from Ijebu. My mom is from Ijebu and dad is from Abeokuta.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by manie(m): 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
AjanleKoko:

A[b]part from Oando, most of the public offers were not overpriced in my view. Between 2004 and 2006, there were public offers from GT, Access, FBN, Intercontinental, IBTC, Zenith[/b]. If you cashed out at the right time for the likes of IBTC and Zenit, you should have been smiling. I bought Zenith in 2004 at 10.60, and exited at 61 naira in 2007.

The initial IPO were well priced, but the second fund raising exercise by the banks were expensive. Zenith sold another one for N30 or so during the bull, UBA sold another one for N37. FBN equally sol at thirty something Naira. in 2007.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by AjanleKoko: 2:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

The initial IPO were well priced, but the second fund raising exercise by the banks were expensive. Zenith sold another one for N30 or so during the bull, UBA sold another one for N37. FBN equally sol at thirty something Naira. in 2007.

You're right. Those were the times the mugus lined up to join the party grin
By that time, I had moved on.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by mrjingles(m): 2:22pm On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

I think the management of OANDO deliberately made their business model to be unnecessarily complex and difficult to under stand. I don't know what they hope to get from this.

They are just not on the level, trying to hide income and make money only for themselves. Few people are aware oando has a "subsidiary" in the Caribbeans which trades white products, they sell products to Oando Nigeria, I dont have to spell out the possibilities here. One of the major issue with investing in emerging markets like Nigeria both public and private companies is corporate governance, its not so good in most businesses mainly flowing from concentrated shareholding and key man risk.

1 Like

Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by AjanleKoko: 2:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

You are a smart guy, are you from Ijebu. My mom is from Ijebu and dad is from Abeokuta.

LOL. Not at all oh. Not connected to Ijebu except through my wife.
I just did not see the point of spending 4m naira to import a used jeep from America. I preferred to get a brand new car from Honda or Toyota locally, and finance it. Car no dey increase for value, and I don't want mechanic wahala.
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by Nobody: 3:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
please, i invested over 400k at a bank only for me to get interest of 8k after six months! i see this as tying my money down. please how can i invest profitably? i want my money to work for me. with that sum, i believe i can do better with other options. please, where can i start from?
Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by 9ja4eva: 3:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

Cement manufacturing stocks, Agricultural stocks like Okomu and Presco, Pharmaceutical sector, Food and beverages sector.

If the power generating firms are privatised, it wont be a bad idea to invest in them.

Banking stocks like FBN, GTB, Zenith and may be UBA are okay at the current prices. I only have my reservations for the management style of Tony, but Tony is no longer in the bank.

We have a lot of stocks that we can all analyse and discuss about.

Any idea on good stock broking firms for those of us in Diaspora? I bought shares in 2003 ,and even though i don't understand the statement, i like what i am seeing. I won't mind investing more if i get a good company sha.

Thanks for the insight. Very informative thread.

1 Like

Re: Stock Performance From 2000/2003 To Date by mrjingles(m): 3:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
dominion247: please, i invested over 400k at a bank only for me to get interest of 8k after six months! i see this as tying my money down. please how can i invest profitably? i want my money to work for me. with that sum, i believe i can do better with other options. please, where can i start from?

you did not invest, you saved money which is a good thing, cash is the lowest earning asset, investing is a different ball game.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Kills And Buries His Brother In Anambra, Police Recovers His Remaining Bones / Why Do People Go Broke After Winning Huge Amount Of Money / Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.