Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,995 members, 7,825,072 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe (41684 Views)

Profile Of Prof. Danbatta - New NCC Chairman / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! / HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 3:45pm On Mar 22, 2013
"There were several... instant rejections. Some did not even bother to read it, jaundiced by their impression that a book with an African backdrop had no "marketability." Some of the responders found the concept of an African novel amusing."
– Chinua Achebe

On sending Things Fall Apart to publishers (From There Was A Country)
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 3:49pm On Mar 22, 2013
Joseph Conrad was a thoroughgoing racist. That this simple truth is glossed over in criticisms of his work is due to the fact that white racism against Africa is such a normal way of thinking that its manifestations go completely unremarked.
– Chinua Achebe

From An Image of Africa: Racism in Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by ezewudo(m): 3:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
Don't put your hands in his death because he calls you father.
Things fall apart
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 22, 2013
agog: May God grant this icon an eternal repose. I love his "Things Fall Apart - the centre cannot hold and the falcon cannot hear the falconer" quotation so much.
We shouldn't turn his death into an ethnic frenzy as observed in the initial trend, but let us all as One Nigeria reflect on what has befallen us as a nation. This is a time of solemn reflection for us all.
May Almighty God make Nigeria great and may He touch the hearts of our leaders to live exemplary life of service to mankind like the late professor.
I thought "things fall apart - the center cannot hold" is term dubbed by Chinua Achebe from william butler yeats second coming. The link HERE.
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by mobi5592: 3:53pm On Mar 22, 2013
sadeiyare: "While we do our good works let us not forget that the real solution lies in a world in which charity will have become unnecessary.”
― Chinua Achebe, Anthills of the Savannah

WoW

2nd 'wow' my brother
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 22, 2013
when I heard that he was dead... A part of me died with him and again he was reborn in me. I shall replicate his achievements and even push the frontiers.
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Godpinkin(m): 3:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
Rip!
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Dansadaumallam(m): 4:01pm On Mar 22, 2013
This means that :In any case you or any people do not have people to speak for them,your adverseries' will always tell the story the way it will suite their motives and aims.
aryzgreat:

OMG! this did not make sense to me until i had some second thought about the meaning! God bless Pa Achebe!

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by EagleNest(m): 4:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
An iroko has fallen. The cannon has gone off and the thunder roared in the sky.
Lightening flashes and disappeared. Our eyes are drenched with tears. Prof Achebe has gone!
A man that fought fiercely for equity and justice even at the expense of his life.
A literary warrior, a fighter, a mouthpiece of the downtrodden, a hero, a light of reasoning, a man of intergrity.
Difficult to describe you in whole, and as you said 'nobody can teach me who I am' you know better who you are, but the little we know about you, is forever green in our heart.
Rest in Peace. Your legacy can never be erased.
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 22, 2013
all4naija: I thought things fall apart - the center cannot hold is term dubbed by Chinua Achebe from william butler yeats second coming. The link HERE.

What are you really trying to achieve? I hope you're not trying to question the literary icon's creativity. Drawing attention to that statement, one in a book full of many sentences, is almost as silly as saying I shouldn't respond to you with the sentences I'm using because I didn't invent them. You should probably try to find out who the word 'invent' is attributed to.
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 22, 2013
all4naija: I thought things fall apart - the center cannot hold is term dubbed by Chinua Achebe from william butler yeats second coming. The link HERE.

Sorry, I didn't observe the comment you responded to carefully. An honest mistake. You're actually right.

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 22, 2013
NeoTesla:

What are you really trying to achieve? I hope you're not trying to question the literary icon's creativity. Drawing attention to that statement, one in a book full of many sentences, is almost as silly as saying I shouldn't respond to you with the sentences I'm using because I didn't invent them. You should probably try to find out who the word 'invent' is attributed to.
No! Somebody is quoting it among the prof famous quotes. I merely stated where that one was gotten from by the prof and it's not actually his quote per se. You are taking my comment out of context. I think the prof can attest to that if he's still alive.

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by frankcimc(m): 4:11pm On Mar 22, 2013
Prof. It's well with your soul sir. RIP
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 22, 2013
NeoTesla:

Sorry, I didn't observe the comment you responded to carefully. An honest mistake. You're actually right.
No prob, man! Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by mobi5592: 4:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
EagleNest: An iroko has fallen. The cannon has gone off and the thunder roared in the sky.
Lightening flashes and disappeared. Our eyes are drenched with tears. Prof Achebe has gone!
A man that fought fiercely for equity and justice even at the expense of his life.
A literary warrior, a fighter, a mouthpiece of the downtrodden, a hero, a light of reasoning, a man of intergrity.
Difficult to describe you in whole, and as you said 'nobody can teach me who I am' you know better who you are, but the little we know about you, is forever green in our heart.
Rest in Peace. Your legacy can never be erased.

your words are forever green

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2013
TheBookWorm: "You cannot plant greatness as you plant yams or maize. Who ever planted an iroko tree — the greatest tree in the forest? You may collect all the iroko seeds in the world, open the soil and put them there. It will be in vain. The great tree chooses where to grow and we find it there, so it is with the greatness in men."
– Chinua Achebe

From No Longer At Ease
This is beautiful. cool

1 Like

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Classicalman(m): 4:31pm On Mar 22, 2013
Things fall apart remains my best novel EVER!!!!!
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by dayokanu(m): 4:33pm On Mar 22, 2013
There was a country -
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by iykak47: 4:38pm On Mar 22, 2013
Dike anaaa
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 22, 2013
esn1: You can say that again. I had to smile when I read the quotes cos it reminded me of his books. They are so African and you can feel the characters as if they are alive and real. That's literature.
I used to imagine myself living in those villages with those characters! His stories were so real you could almost touch it.
Anybody here read "girls at war and other stories"
Irevolu! shum!, isofeli! mba!
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by kingcobra1(m): 4:59pm On Mar 22, 2013
AN ODE TO MY LITERARY HERO...... PROF. CHINUA ACHEBE. All copyright reserved.

THERE WAS A COUNTRY and in that country, there was A MAN OF THE PEOPLE. In the early hours of the 22nd of March, 2013, THE ARROW OF GOD pointed at him. If I had the least premonition that this would happen, I would have cried out to God, DON'T LET HIM DIE! Alas, THINGS FALL APART and the center cannot hold. We are NO LONGER AT EASE. Imagine that the great Achebe who has planned his CHRISTMAS IN BIAFRA this year is gone, just like that. THE TROUBLE WITH NIGERIA has gone viral. We only celebrate our heroes when they have gone. This is affecting both those at HOME AND EXILE. Even GIRLS ARE AT WAR too.
Even as we mourn this dead Lion, BEWARE SOUL BROTHER before the VULTURES come for you too. THE ANTHILLS OF THE SAVANNAH await the remains of one of the greatest legend of my days for man is but sand and must return to the ground.

Bring the FLUTE, bring the DRUM! IT'S MORNING YET ON CREATION DAY. Let's announce the departure of this great man as he treads the DEAD MEN PATH. A legend is gone and so have all his HOPES AND IMPEDIMENTS. As we mourn, let there be CIVIL PEACE.

RIP, PROF..... God willing

3 Likes

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by frederal(m): 5:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
I only see the meaning of d word incorruptible in d dictionary, but it has nothing or nobody to apply to here; it was such an abstract word....until I found CHINUA ACHEBE...that exemplified it...so above and beyond. He wore it like a skin.
RIP SIR: a man of principle, humility, courage, integrity, honesty....I might not use these words for any Nigerian
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Librate(m): 5:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
[color=#990000]The only palm fruit kept in the fire does not get lost

CHINUA ACHEBE in
NO LONGER AT EASE [/color
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by kingcobra1(m): 5:12pm On Mar 22, 2013
"It is against our custom, It is an abomination for a man to take his own life. It is an offense against the Earth, and a man who commits it will not be buried by his clansmen. His body is evil, and only strangers may touch it." [/quote]

Boko-haram shld learn frm dis...it is an abomination to commit suicide
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 22, 2013
"In the end, I began to understand there is such a thing as absolute power over narrative. Those who secure this privilege for themselves can arrange stories about others pretty much where, and as, they like"
-Chinua Achebe
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by free13: 5:22pm On Mar 22, 2013
There was a country.
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Tascocent(m): 5:27pm On Mar 22, 2013
Still crying deeply after I heard d news and @Op now added to my pain after reading his thread..........haaaaaaaaahaaaaa. Handkership anybody
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Chitexs250(m): 5:35pm On Mar 22, 2013
hurricaneChris: A man who rejected $1.5million dollars from Jackson Curtis aka "50Cent" when 50cent wanted to produce a film with the title...things fall apart.
This is what he replied 50cent's attorneys

" This book has been existing even before he (50Cent) was born"

50cent had to change d title of that film

Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Akshow: 5:54pm On Mar 22, 2013
hurricaneChris: A man who rejected $1.5million dollars from Jackson Curtis aka "50Cent" when 50cent wanted to produce a film with the title...things fall apart.
This is what he replied 50cent's attorneys

" This book has been existing even before he (50Cent) was born"

50cent had to change d title of that film
lies. 50cent don't need to pay him to use that line as achebe himself took it from William butler's 2nd comin. Rip achebe
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by hardbody: 7:00pm On Mar 22, 2013
julioralph: "my son even if you want to fall, at least fall where your bones can be gathered" Ezeulu to his stubborn son Obika in 'Arrow of God' the best of his novels by my reckoning.
Because Oyinbo people like 'things fall apart' does not necessarily make it the best!

i have read both, nay studied both, things fall apart still stands apart, my views though
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by hardbody: 7:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
agog: May God grant this icon an eternal repose. I love his "Things Fall Apart - the centre cannot hold and the falcon cannot hear the falconer" quotation so much.
We shouldn't turn his death into an ethnic frenzy as observed in the initial trend, but let us all as One Nigeria reflect on what has befallen us as a nation. This is a time of solemn reflection for us all.
May Almighty God make Nigeria great and may He touch the hearts of our leaders to live exemplary life of service to mankind like the late professor.

When beggars die there are no comets seen, but the heavens themselves blazes forth the death of princes.....So let it be with Achebe.....adapted by Hardbody from Skakespeare's 'Julius Caesar'
Re: Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe by Paschal007: 7:08pm On Mar 22, 2013
Truly there was a man. Tomorrow God willing i'll go shopping for 'there was a country'. God bless your soul sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Yahaya Bello Clears Salary Arrears / How Will Someone Pay 100m To Secure A Job Of 56M In 4yrs? / Osinbajo Daughter, Dami Looks Gorgeous As She Steps Out For Democracy Day [photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.