Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? (1812 Views)

Buhari's Victory Celebration At Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park In Ojota, Lagos / "May IBB Die A Violent Death"- Gani Fawehinmi’s Son / Chief Gani Fawehinmi San Dies At The Age Of 71 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by bluehorizo(m): 8:05am On Mar 30, 2008
Chief Gani Fawehinmi, a man of no less value, principles and features always sound loud and aptly clear on the prevalence of justice in Nigeria, a land blessed by God, but cursed by man. I am not a fan of Gani, but I enjoy his stance on certain national issues many of which people dread to discuss in the open.

I love Gani in a way because the SAN does not suffer crude and rude politicians gladly. His voice resonates globally against injustices, especially those that emanate from opulence African leaders who misrule the nations of Africa.

Gani has been embarrassed and incarcerated severally for his outspokenness; Gani has been celebrated accolades by his fans that has made him become more popular than most presidents of African nations, and a lot of his critics do not see any thing good that comes from Gani other than, shout, shout and shout. To this sect of people, they see Gani as an extremist, who does not forgive any ruler that has been enshrined in his Black Book; even when the person turned a new leaf, Gani still see the person as a pretending devil.

Well, I am not here to write Gani’s biography except anybody wants to give me a job on that and be ready to see a provocative biography of the man who is held worldwide as a human rights activist. I will prefer to write Obasanjo’s because everything about Obasanjo have been brought to the laundry. What else would one want to read of Obasanjo? Is it the story of Gbenga, Obasanjo’s son, that his father was bedding the wife? Or the story of one of his wives who recently brought Obasanjo to the cleaner that he impregnated twelve women when in power, as the president Federal Republic of Nigeria?

However, what born my interest to ask, "Where is Gani Fawehinmi?" is because the SAN’s voice is becoming low or have not been heard since the Ogebe-led judiciary panel mishap that upheld the Yar’Adua’s April 21 2007 elections recently. Gani Nigerians knew, Gani was a strong critic of Obasanjo-led government. Though he still has his fundamental right to speak or not to speak, on any matter of national discourse.

Not hearing from Gani for over two months now upon all the misdeeds of some of our rulers and this Ogebe-led judiciary massacre propelled me to write this article. Since Okonkwo died in Umuofia, there seems to be many Unokas, not drinking for merriment, but to the detriment of the populace. Though last I read of Gani was that he was ailing and was flown abroad. I pray he should be soundly well soon and come back to the stage because the white men Okonkwo fought in Umuofia have now come to Nigeria but as black men.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by brownbonno(m): 9:55am On Mar 30, 2008
My guy na wa 4 u ooo.watin Gani do you?The man shout shout till him throat don crack,him hala hala till begin get headache.Now his tired of the naija wahala and begin sick.
U still dey find the man,u won kill am?
I beg take him position and help carry the cross of Nigeria.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by babamutu: 11:58am On Mar 30, 2008
@ poster; i v'e not seen him for some time now. hope he is okay.he's a man to be easily forgotten.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by bawomolo(m): 9:52pm On Mar 30, 2008
gani fawehinmi is the al sharpton of nigeria.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by Blatant: 11:14am On Mar 31, 2008
bawomolo:

al sharpton is the Gani Fawehinmi of America
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by bluehorizo(m): 12:26pm On Mar 31, 2008
babamutu:

he's a man to be easily forgotten.

Shei! Na so After the man fought and struggled for presidency democracy.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by bawomolo(m): 2:35pm On Mar 31, 2008
al sharpton is the Gani Fawehinmi of America

al sharpton has been screaming longer than gani.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by Johnny(m): 3:13pm On Mar 31, 2008
The man has contributed his own widow's mite to the development of Nigeria, and we will always remember him. I am not one of his great fans, but the fact that he's a staunch opposer of IBB endears him to me alot. Otherwise, he makes alot of noise, like Soyinka, faulting whatever any other person does. Ever since I read in one of the National dailies that he could not attend his daughter's (or son's?) wedding, I knew the 'Legal Luminary's' time is up.
May he rest alive in peace untill he departs this troublesome world to meet with his ancestors. Amen.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by bluehorizo(m): 3:19pm On Mar 31, 2008
Johnny:
Ever since I read in one of the National dailies that he could not attend his daughter's (or son's?) wedding, I knew the 'Legal Luminary's' time is up.
May he rest alive in peace untill he departs this troublesome world to meet with his ancestors. Amen.

Hmmm, Amen.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by BigB11(m): 3:32pm On Mar 31, 2008
Sweet Nigeria, a very complicated Country indeed!
In Nigeria, if you're not in a position of power you will only scream till you get sick and die.
It will take more than just 1 or 2 men to get things in place in Nigeria.

Nigerians need to join hands and fight together for what is right; or else folks like Gani will come and leave with absolutely zero accomplishment in regard to being an activist.

The man is still one of the most dedicated Nigerians around today, I admire his quality of being persistent and I hope he stays around longer to see Nigeria as a nation to fly high again.

I wish him well; and I'm sure that the soldier will be back stronger than before.

Good Luck!
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by gbolah1(m): 4:12pm On Mar 31, 2008
Please we are only sea people commenting on him, can any body tell us what is happen to him presently, the man is not easy to forget in Nigeria history like that ,

I hard also that he was unable to attend his daughter wedding, i think it was around last year due to the operation that the man just done by them.

Please am also intrest of knowing where about him, any body that have a Gennie information should just past it for us to sea
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by Johnny(m): 4:24pm On Mar 31, 2008
Please we are only sea people commenting on him, can any body tell us what is happen to him presently, the man is not easy to forget in Nigeria history like that ,

I hard also that he was unable to attend his daughter wedding, i think it was around last year due to the operation that the man just done by them.

Please am also intrest of knowing where about him, any body that have a Gennie information should just past it for us to sea

I hate this post. Disjointed English, and yet asking as if we are Gani's keepers. If you are so desperate to 'sea' Gani, then go to his house in Lagos and find him out.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by bluehorizo(m): 4:34pm On Mar 31, 2008
Johnny:

I hate this post. Disjointed English, and yet asking as if we are Gani's keepers. If you are so desperate to 'sea' Gani, then go to his house in Lagos and find him out.

English no be your mother tongue. Na borrowed language. NEVER JUDGE.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by youngies(m): 4:45pm On Mar 31, 2008
The last I checked, Gani is down and sick, but not out. He may be back you know it.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by Ibime(m): 6:15pm On Mar 31, 2008
bawomolo:

Abeg stop dissing Gani.

Gani is the John the Baptist of Naija - the lone voice shouting in the wilderness. Gani is the nation's conscience.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by bluehorizo(m): 3:14pm On Apr 01, 2008
Gani: An enigma missing in action
Published: Tuesday, 1 Apr 2008
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804010325196

The story is often told of how former military president, Ibrahim Babangida, spoke glowingly of Lagos lawyer, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, SAN, comes across to him as one Nigerian with passion for justice and the growth of Nigeria. Ironically, Babangida’s regime remained one that perhaps sent the fiery lawyer to jail more than any other government. But the question many had asked Babangida is: If he is known to be passionate about the growth of Nigeria, why did his government take so much pleasure in keeping him out of circulation?

There is no doubt that Fawehinmi commands tremendous respect within the legal circle. The legal luminary is a social commentator that is so passionate in his reaction to national issues.

And his views on topical issues have assumed a wide dimension that reactions to any major issue are not complete until Fawehinmi adds his voice.

It is on record that Fawehinmi has a penchant for taking strong opposing views against his colleagues, including the Nigerian Bar Association when reacting to court judgments.

However, those who had monitored events in the country in the last half a year would say that Gani has been missing on the scene. The Senior Advocate has been unable to react to pressing national issues, as he is indisposed and receiving medical attention in a London Hospital.

Of course, Fawehinmi’s contributions would have added to the robust discuss on issues of national importance. What, for instance, would have been his disposition to the judgment of Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal which gave ruling in favour of President Umaru Yar’Adua as the winner of the 2007 presidential election? Or still, how would he have appraised the elevation of the chairman of the tribunal, Justice James Ogebe, to the Supreme Court while his assignment was yet to be completed?

How would Fawehinmi have reacted to the victory of Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala at the tribunal in Oyo State or the confirmation of the former President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole as the winner of the Edo governorship poll?

Would Fawehinmi have seen former ministers, Prof Adenike Grange and Mr. Gabriel Aduku as victims of machinations by civil servants in the Ministry of Health or as mere rogues who went to government to feather their nests?

Asking those close to the lawyer to comment on what they have missed with his absence on the scene is like creating panic. One of the associates, who however, pleaded not to be named, expressed concern when our correspondent posed the question to him, saying, “ I hope nothing is wrong with Chief and I must say that I am not comfortable with the way you are asking me to capture his reactions to the ongoing national issues.”

The associate was reassured that nothing was wrong with the Senior Advocate except that Nigerians are missing his intellectual and robust reactions to matters of national interest.

If the associate was miffed by the question, it was reassuring to hear from another human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, that he was with Fawehinmi in London recently. If anything, Falana provided what Fawehinmi would have said had he been in Nigeria at the time of the verdict. He said, “I met Chief Fawehinmi while we discussed some of the national issues. But I must tell you right away that he was vehement in condemning the verdict of the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal that upheld the election of Yar’Adua on the grounds that the President has repeatedly condemned his own election and set up an electoral reform panel.

“He was extremely happy when news came to us that that the Election Petitions Tribunal in Edo State had declared that Mr. Adams Oshiomhole won the state governorship election”.

And when you speak of the unpredictability of the lawyer, the President, National Conscience Party, Dr. Osagie Obayuwana, seems to be very conscious of that. Obayuwana would rather say that the best any associate of Fawehinmi can do is to embark on speculation as to the disposition of the lawyer to any issue. But then, he went ahead to say that Fawehinmi would have condemned the outcome of moves by the presidential candidate of the Action Congress, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and his All Nigeria Peoples Party counterpart, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) to void the election.

The Benin-based lawyer stated, “Gani is inimitable in many ways; one of which is that he chooses his words like no one else. Thus, no one can actually speak for him. At best, we engage in speculations.

“Regarding the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal, Gani would have faulted the judgment and queried the elevation of technicality over the substantive matter. He would have highlighted the exhibition of double standard on the path of the tribunal.

“Why would the court apply the law strictly as it relates to depositions and not do the same concerning numerous violations of the Electoral Act, 2006?”

Talking of those who have interacted with Fawehinmi especially on the field of protests against anti-people policies, another lawyer, Mr. Bamidele Aturu, has been Fawehinmi’s soul-mate.

And he seemed to know what he would have done concerning the N300m scandal rocking the Ministry of Health.

He said, “Gani would have called for the arrest and prosecution of all those involved in the sharing of the N300m unspent budget of the Ministry of Health and celebrate to the high heaven, the victory of Oshiomhole.”

A lecturer in the Faculty of Law at the University of Lagos, Mr. Wahab Shittu, said, “He would have been happy for the resignation of Prof Grange but he would have called for her prosecution and others involved in the scam”.

Head of Gani Fawehinmi’s Chambers, Mr. Adindu Ugwuzor, said of his boss, “He would have given a very intellectual, critical and incisive analysis of these issues and backed them up with statutory and authoritative cases.

“Regarding the power probe, people must realise that Chief Fawehinmi was the first person to say that Obasanjo is too corrupt and challenged in court all his corrupt practices.

“Chief also sent petitions to the Code of Conduct Bureau, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission for proper investigation of Obasanjo’s eight years of civil rule.”

A Lagos-based lawyer, Mr. Festus Keyamo, also worked in Fawehinmi’s chambers before setting up his chamber. Also known to be as fiery as his former boss, Keyamo said, “Of course, we all know that Gani is so passionate in his reaction to national issues. But I cannot comment or capture his thought on court judgments because Chief Fawehinmi, with due respect to him, has been unpredictable in recent times as regards the issue of analysing judgments and be on the side of the people.

“But that is not to say that he has deviated from his human rights activist and populist approach to national issues.

“One thing is sure about Gani, he would have condemned in strong terms, the verdict of the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal that upheld the election of Yar’Adua.

“I am sure that he would have identified the inconsistencies of the tribunal’s judgment, particularly the non-compliance with the Electoral Act, 2006 and the massive rigging that characterised the poll.

‘I also know that Gani would have applauded the victory of Adams Oshiomhole because the development is a confirmation of what the people of Edo State want.

“Regarding the N300m scam and the resignation of the health ministers, Gani would have immediately called for the arrest and prosecution Grange and everybody that is involved in the show of shame.”

An enigma that he is, Fawehinmi is believed in many circles to have been a major pain in the neck of successive administrations in the country. Even those who do not agree with his positions on some issues still recognise his ability to sting where the interests of the downtrodden are concerned.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by Mamajama(m): 3:15pm On Apr 01, 2008
Gani: An enigma missing in action
By Tony Amokeodo
Published: Tuesday, 1 Apr 2008
The story is often told of how former military president, Ibrahim Babangida, spoke glowingly of Lagos lawyer, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, SAN, comes across to him as one Nigerian with passion for justice and the growth of Nigeria. Ironically, Babangida’s regime remained one that perhaps sent the fiery lawyer to jail more than any other government. But the question many had asked Babangida is: If he is known to be passionate about the growth of Nigeria, why did his government take so much pleasure in keeping him out of circulation?

Skip to next paragraph

Photo file
Chief Gani Fawehinmi

There is no doubt that Fawehinmi commands tremendous respect within the legal circle. The legal luminary is a social commentator that is so passionate in his reaction to national issues.

And his views on topical issues have assumed a wide dimension that reactions to any major issue are not complete until Fawehinmi adds his voice.

It is on record that Fawehinmi has a penchant for taking strong opposing views against his colleagues, including the Nigerian Bar Association when reacting to court judgments.

However, those who had monitored events in the country in the last half a year would say that Gani has been missing on the scene. The Senior Advocate has been unable to react to pressing national issues, as he is indisposed and receiving medical attention in a London Hospital.

Of course, Fawehinmi’s contributions would have added to the robust discuss on issues of national importance. What, for instance, would have been his disposition to the judgment of Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal which gave ruling in favour of President Umaru Yar’Adua as the winner of the 2007 presidential election? Or still, how would he have appraised the elevation of the chairman of the tribunal, Justice James Ogebe, to the Supreme Court while his assignment was yet to be completed?

How would Fawehinmi have reacted to the victory of Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala at the tribunal in Oyo State or the confirmation of the former President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole as the winner of the Edo governorship poll?

Would Fawehinmi have seen former ministers, Prof Adenike Grange and Mr. Gabriel Aduku as victims of machinations by civil servants in the Ministry of Health or as mere rogues who went to government to feather their nests?

Asking those close to the lawyer to comment on what they have missed with his absence on the scene is like creating panic. One of the associates, who however, pleaded not to be named, expressed concern when our correspondent posed the question to him, saying, “ I hope nothing is wrong with Chief and I must say that I am not comfortable with the way you are asking me to capture his reactions to the ongoing national issues.”

The associate was reassured that nothing was wrong with the Senior Advocate except that Nigerians are missing his intellectual and robust reactions to matters of national interest.

If the associate was miffed by the question, it was reassuring to hear from another human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, that he was with Fawehinmi in London recently. If anything, Falana provided what Fawehinmi would have said had he been in Nigeria at the time of the verdict. He said, “I met Chief Fawehinmi while we discussed some of the national issues. But I must tell you right away that he was vehement in condemning the verdict of the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal that upheld the election of Yar’Adua on the grounds that the President has repeatedly condemned his own election and set up an electoral reform panel.

“He was extremely happy when news came to us that that the Election Petitions Tribunal in Edo State had declared that Mr. Adams Oshiomhole won the state governorship election”.

And when you speak of the unpredictability of the lawyer, the President, National Conscience Party, Dr. Osagie Obayuwana, seems to be very conscious of that. Obayuwana would rather say that the best any associate of Fawehinmi can do is to embark on speculation as to the disposition of the lawyer to any issue. But then, he went ahead to say that Fawehinmi would have condemned the outcome of moves by the presidential candidate of the Action Congress, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and his All Nigeria Peoples Party counterpart, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) to void the election.

The Benin-based lawyer stated, “Gani is inimitable in many ways; one of which is that he chooses his words like no one else. Thus, no one can actually speak for him. At best, we engage in speculations.

“Regarding the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal, Gani would have faulted the judgment and queried the elevation of technicality over the substantive matter. He would have highlighted the exhibition of double standard on the path of the tribunal.

“Why would the court apply the law strictly as it relates to depositions and not do the same concerning numerous violations of the Electoral Act, 2006?”

Talking of those who have interacted with Fawehinmi especially on the field of protests against anti-people policies, another lawyer, Mr. Bamidele Aturu, has been Fawehinmi’s soul-mate.

And he seemed to know what he would have done concerning the N300m scandal rocking the Ministry of Health.

He said, “Gani would have called for the arrest and prosecution of all those involved in the sharing of the N300m unspent budget of the Ministry of Health and celebrate to the high heaven, the victory of Oshiomhole.”

A lecturer in the Faculty of Law at the University of Lagos, Mr. Wahab Shittu, said, “He would have been happy for the resignation of Prof Grange but he would have called for her prosecution and others involved in the scam”.

Head of Gani Fawehinmi’s Chambers, Mr. Adindu Ugwuzor, said of his boss, “He would have given a very intellectual, critical and incisive analysis of these issues and backed them up with statutory and authoritative cases.

“Regarding the power probe, people must realise that Chief Fawehinmi was the first person to say that Obasanjo is too corrupt and challenged in court all his corrupt practices.

“Chief also sent petitions to the Code of Conduct Bureau, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission for proper investigation of Obasanjo’s eight years of civil rule.”

A Lagos-based lawyer, Mr. Festus Keyamo, also worked in Fawehinmi’s chambers before setting up his chamber. Also known to be as fiery as his former boss, Keyamo said, “Of course, we all know that Gani is so passionate in his reaction to national issues. But I cannot comment or capture his thought on court judgments because Chief Fawehinmi, with due respect to him, has been unpredictable in recent times as regards the issue of analysing judgments and be on the side of the people.

“But that is not to say that he has deviated from his human rights activist and populist approach to national issues.

“One thing is sure about Gani, he would have condemned in strong terms, the verdict of the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal that upheld the election of Yar’Adua.

“I am sure that he would have identified the inconsistencies of the tribunal’s judgment, particularly the non-compliance with the Electoral Act, 2006 and the massive rigging that characterised the poll.

‘I also know that Gani would have applauded the victory of Adams Oshiomhole because the development is a confirmation of what the people of Edo State want.

“Regarding the N300m scam and the resignation of the health ministers, Gani would have immediately called for the arrest and prosecution Grange and everybody that is involved in the show of shame.”

An enigma that he is, Fawehinmi is believed in many circles to have been a major pain in the neck of successive administrations in the country. Even those who do not agree with his positions on some issues still recognise his ability to sting where the interests of the downtrodden are concerned.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804010325196
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by lucabrasi(m): 4:24pm On Apr 01, 2008
i wish him a peace and good health and pray he doesnt suffer till GOD decides his time is up and if GOD wills it for him to have a fast and swift recovery,having said that i think gani fawehinmi should be praised certainly but not idolised because fair enough he has done a whole lot for nigeria but so have soo many people who are dead, did anyone remember the poor nigerians who died during the abacha time or the june 12 riots amongst others?like i said gani has done a lot but then again he got his reward on earth and he is a multi-millionaire and all his children have good british university education and he has a good life as well, im aware he gives many schorlaship but i dont see him setting up a foundation to help the street kids in lagos,or some sort of help for families of the poor masess who have died behind him in the riots and protests and also i believe there are over 140 million nigerians in nigeria and rather than pining after gani,we should encourage others to start from where he hung his gloves
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by jaso1(m): 4:48pm On Apr 01, 2008
Gani has contributed immersely to this nation call Nigeria i can't mentioned it all if i start to give instances, even when i think about this man i always feel unhappy because some sycophant call him something else. here we have some people qualifying the philanthropist as nothing.
may God help us in this country, some people were even calling him another name so unfortunate.
Re: Where Is Chief Gani Fawehinmi? by lucabrasi(m): 3:17am On Apr 02, 2008
i know he has done a whole lot for nigeria and he has suffered for the democracy we have now but he has benefited handsomely for it as well so it was not completely selfless,seems you dont have an idea of what gani is worth financially and what his law publications make amongst his other investments

(1) (Reply)

Murder Of Nigerian Businessman In China / 27 Soldiers Get Life Sentence For Mutiny / Government To Set Up Toll Gates On Benin-ore-lagos Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.