Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,571 members, 7,837,166 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? (1038 Views)

Biafra Has Been Recognized Since June 30th 1849 / Why Is Aguiyi-ironsi's Picture Not On Any Naira Note And Also Hardly Recognized? / List Of Nigerian Cities That Are Recognized By Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by FSU: 3:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
Recently pulled up my University's ''Digital Measures'' (remade and revised version) to update my records for the 2012 annual review and lo and behold, Igbo language was one of the languages you need to select from if you spoke any other language than English. Then I wondered, who/what gave the Igbo and their language global recognition.

1. Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart depicting Igbo culture and published in more than 50 languages?
2. The civil war which was globally reported at the time?
3. Ojukwu, who led the Igbo in that civil war?
4. Nnamdi Azikiwe, who was one of the first Nigerians to study abroad, and who later became Nigeria's first, albeit ceremonial, president?
5. Two or more of the above?

Re: Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by achinaboy(m): 3:37pm On Mar 25, 2013
don`t forget that the igbos went to war with no weapon and came back winners,,,this is a proverb,not trying to be tribalistic,,,remember also in igboland u can only get a person i mean one person that when he comes to an occassion,people tells him,,,you people are welcome,,,another proverb,,,,anyway go figure,,,before i forget,in igboland,i mean only in igboland u can get me i mean me,,who could speak,,italian,latin,dutch,french,norwegian tal,little english,and finally igbo...am out we are too much

2 Likes

Re: Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by tpia5: 3:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
Olaudah equiano mentioned igbo in his book, this was 19th century.

Means igbo was known by or at that time.
Re: Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by FSU: 5:18pm On Mar 25, 2013
tpia@:
Olaudah equiano mentioned igbo in his book, this was 19th century.

Means igbo was known by or at that time.

That was just in mention and how many people know about that mention globally?
Re: Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by FSU: 5:19pm On Mar 25, 2013
achina boy: don`t forget that the igbos went to war with no weapon and came back winners,,,this is a proverb,not trying to be tribalistic,,,remember also in igboland u can only get a person i mean one person that when he comes to an occassion,people tells him,,,you people are welcome,,,another proverb,,,,anyway go figure,,,before i forget,in igboland,i mean only in igboland u can get me i mean me,,who could speak,,italian,latin,dutch,french,norwegian tal,little english,and finally igbo...am out we are too much
That is what point two in my original post addressed.
Re: Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by achinaboy(m): 3:20pm On Mar 26, 2013
FSU:
That is what point two in my original post addressed.
well am not far from the truth
Re: Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by omonnakoda: 3:22pm On Mar 26, 2013
Igbos are recognized globally for their loudness and boastfulness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSosECbcmM

3 Likes

Re: Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by MajeOfficial: 3:33pm On Mar 26, 2013
Re: Who/what Made Igbo Globally Recognized? by achinaboy(m): 9:22pm On Mar 26, 2013
omonnakoda: Igbos are recognized globally for their loudness and boastfulness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSosECbcmM
personal opinion,,,ohhh now i remember jealousy,,,,i wonder what might be your tribe,,emmmm dumb and deaf

(1) (Reply)

Today Is African Liberation Day / Nigerians Dominate 50 Under 50 Trailblazers List / PDP NEC Plots Automatic Ticket For Jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.