Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,416 members, 7,861,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:40 AM

Tribute To Chinua Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribute To Chinua Achebe (519 Views)

Tribute To Officers And Soldiers That Fought Against Bokoharam But Died In The P / Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe / A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tribute To Chinua Achebe by josefmanfe: 6:22pm On Mar 25, 2013
Tribute to Chinua Achebe

The man, Chinualumogu Achebe was born in November 16, 1930 and died on March 21, 2013. History is replete with men that bear uncommon name. I have traversed the length and breadth of Igbo land and I am yet to come across anybody that bears the name, Chinualumogu – a name that simply means, ‘’GOD, FIGHT MY BATTLES FOR ME’’. I remember seeing Achebe for the first time many years back, as a student in GOVERNMENT COLLEGE UMUAHIA when we celebrated our GOLDEN JUBILEE. He happens to be an old boy of that prestigious institution. We gathered around him in awe and admiration, having read his book, ‘’THINGS FALL APART’’, and other notable works of his. In my young eyes, I saw a quiet and stern looking face. He must have been used to getting that kind of attention and distraction because he merely nodded in our direction as a way of acknowledgement, entered his car and drove off. That was the first and last time I saw him, but not his vast influence. Where do I begin to talk about the man that is referred to as the ‘’the patriarch of African novel’’? Is it about discipline, principle or patriotism which are clear ingredients lacking within the people that have had the opportunity to lead the country politically. His love for his father land made him write that simple book aptly titled, ‘’THE TROUBLE WITH NIGERIA.’’ In that book, he, like no other, laid bare our problems as a nation. If only our leaders could clutch that book the way they do KORAN OR THE BIBLE and read it daily, it will help to prick their conscience as they engage in the orgy of looting both the relevant and irrelevant. This was a man that turned down national awards, just to impress it on the leaders that not everybody can be bought over and also as a reminder to the international community that the so called GIANT OF AFRICA is no longer on the highway to success but has veered off into the evil forest where she is busy winning and dinning with all manner of DEMONS. A country where the stench of corruption is so high that even the heavenly bodies are beginning to complain. I make bold to say that if NIGERIA had only 10 Achebe within the polity, things won’t have fallen this far apart. He was a dogged fighter and imbued with acute intelligence and extra sensory perception. Before his demise, he was able to give NIGERIA another book that is quite insightful. That book is generating furore in the country due to the fact that Nigerians don’t like the truth, but what I find interesting is the title, ‘’THERE WAS A COUNTRY’’. With what’s happening now and 2015 around the corner, it takes the discerning mind to know that the title of that book has more to it than meets the eye. CHINUALUMOGU ACHEBE have pointed at the right way and it is left to us to choose where to go. You are dead but your legacy lives on. Rest in peace.

(1) (Reply)

Opposition Parties COMMEND Gov Orji For His GOOD Work In Abia. / PREMIUM TIMES: Increasing Rate Of Baby Traffickers In Abia State - I'm Disturbed / Datti Rejects Amnesty C’ttee Membership...says FG Not Sincere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.