Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,270 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals (7804 Views)

Inside The Oil Deals That Cost Nigeria Billions; Between Diezani And Others / Political Associate Of Chadian President Arrested With Missiles Mean for boko ha / NFF Vice-President Arrested For Money Laundering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by tonididdy(m): 10:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
[img]http://img.rasset.ie/000729fc-642.jpg[/img]

Zambia has officially charged former president Rupiah Banda for abuse of authority over a Nigerian oil deal, a government spokeswoman has said.

Mr Banda last week appeared before an official panel to answer allegations of corruption.

The allegations relate to his three years in charge of Africa's biggest copper producer.

Mr Banda has been accused of misappropriating more than $11m (€8.4m) during his three years in office.

He has been released on a bond and will appear in court tomorrow.

Zambia this month stripped Mr Banda of immunity from prosecution, a sign it was getting closer to bringing formal charges against him.

Mr Banda, who led Africa's top copper producer from 2008 to 2011, has maintained his innocence.

The former president was questioned for nearly three hours after his arrest, his lawyer Sakwiba Sikota said, adding that Mr Banda had done nothing wrong.

Mr Banda later appeared before supporters telling them to remain calm and that he would win his case in court.

He was defeated in 2011 by rival Michael Sata, whose government has launched several high-profile corruption probes into deals struck by the former administration.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0325/378289-zambia/
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by igbsam(m): 11:36am On Mar 26, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1236607/zambia-arrests-former-president-over

What is the criteria for bringing news to the frontpage ? I posted this news before the OP and he made the frontpage before me ? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! His news no even complete sef. Imagine! Anyway sha, am still happy since na me be the first to be the unmentionable.

3 Likes

Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 26, 2013
tonididdy: [img]http://img.rasset.ie/000729fc-642.jpg[/img]

Zambia has officially charged former president Rupiah Banda for abuse of authority over a Nigerian oil deal, a government spokeswoman has said.

Mr Banda last week appeared before an official panel to answer allegations of corruption.

The allegations relate to his three years in charge of Africa's biggest copper producer.

Mr Banda has been accused of misappropriating more than $11m (€8.4m) during his three years in office.

Zambia this month stripped Mr Banda of immunity from prosecution, a sign it was getting closer to bringing formal charges against him.

Mr Banda, who led Africa's top copper producer from 2008 to 2011, has maintained his innocence.

The former president was questioned for nearly three hours after his arrest, his lawyer Sakwiba Sikota said, adding that Mr Banda had done nothing wrong.

Mr Banda later appeared before supporters telling them to remain calm and that he would win his case in court.

He was defeated in 2011 by rival Michael Sata, whose government has launched several high-profile corruption probes into deals struck by the former administration.

Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by mrofficial2(m): 11:40am On Mar 26, 2013
Oil! Oil!! Oil!!!
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by simontosy(m): 11:40am On Mar 26, 2013
tonididdy: [img]http://img.rasset.ie/000729fc-642.jpg[/img]

Corruption is all about africa and Nigeria,let see if there will be no yet another presidential pardon if he is nabbed.
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Regiblinkz(m): 11:42am On Mar 26, 2013
Wetin concern me and zambia
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by dedons: 11:42am On Mar 26, 2013
Waiting for the day this will happen in my own country
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Biggyd2: 11:46am On Mar 26, 2013
Excellent. Wish our laws work this way as well. Who was the president of Nigeria when this man committed this crime? If that president was aware of this, would he face the full weight of the law just like this man? If not, will the Nigerian(s) involved in this, be prosecuted as well? undecided

1 Like

Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by ebamma(m): 11:46am On Mar 26, 2013
Where is a nigerian businessman or oil company mentioned in this story?
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 26, 2013
If he was a Nigerian he would have been pardoned by now, Zambia nid to learn some moral ethics from Nigeria..!!!

Say No to Anti Corruption !!!

1 Like

Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by NSNA: 11:55am On Mar 26, 2013
Zambia this month stripped Mr Banda of immunity from prosecution,

the only thing i read there...
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Lusola15: 11:58am On Mar 26, 2013
Nigeria, Alway in d news for d wrongs reasons
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by tonididdy(m): 12:04pm On Mar 26, 2013
igbsam: https://www.nairaland.com/1236607/zambia-arrests-former-president-over

What is the criteria for bringing news to the frontpage ? I posted this news before the OP and he made the frontpage before me ? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! His news no even complete sef. Imagine! Anyway sha, am still happy since na me be the first to be the unmentionable.

WHATS IMPORTANT IS NAIRALANDERS GET TO READ IT.ONE LOVE
@mod ty
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
imagine. only 11 million dollars. in 9ja even lg chairman can get that and will go scot free. just shows that if ur not a crook, ur not welcome to 9ja.

3 Likes

Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by colombiana: 12:09pm On Mar 26, 2013
Nigeria is finished...in 3 years see wetin president thief just 11m dollar main while just one day one small governor go thief 100m and we go dey hail them dey see their bulletproof cars and jets wen dem customize for nairaland dey comment useless comments. Mtchewww

1 Like

Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by tellwisdom: 12:09pm On Mar 26, 2013
Which kain oil..Palm oil? sad
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Capnd143(m): 12:13pm On Mar 26, 2013
Hahahahaha! Laughing at the amount the guys misapropriated! When his mates in down_town nigeria are stealing billions! Imagine . . . If this were to be in Nigeria we would have talking of #12O billion NAIRA or worse off $980 million. . .

Naija i hail thee! May God deliver us from corruption.
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by mosquitoNet(m): 12:14pm On Mar 26, 2013
The same thing will happen to GEJ and his widow(patience)once they leave office. We will charge for several corrupt cases and mismanagement.
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by dridowu: 12:16pm On Mar 26, 2013
Oil business
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Nobody: 12:17pm On Mar 26, 2013
11 million in 3 years shocked oga u no get GEJ number? Our first lady's pet house is about 33 million dollars.....
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 26, 2013
Nigeria govt is been run by mafia organization established in 1960 and it will not stop to exist cos we nor get mouth.
If Nigeria is a functioning institution, the president or official that strike the deal with this Zambia president should be questioned and give explanation to Nigerians if not arrested.

But this case different. Judiciary nor care. Senate nor care, house nor care.

Na waooo. PDP should stop killing nigeria. no politician even raise the motion for investigation. what a joke

1 Like

Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by fELiscatus: 12:29pm On Mar 26, 2013
mosquitoNet: The same thing will happen to GEJ and his widow(patience)once they leave office. We will charge for several corrupt cases and mismanagement.

Yeah right grin

Anyway one can only wish.
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 26, 2013
stealing and looting in 9ja is legal. the 8th wonder of the world.
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Parnassuss(m): 12:39pm On Mar 26, 2013
If Zambia can do it we can too, CAMPAIGN TO IMPEACH GEJ, join the www.kickoutsiddonlook.org that wants to take back the Nigerian destiny from the hands of thieves and bandits.
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by SONFGOD12: 12:40pm On Mar 26, 2013
Nigeria don make corruption legal for africa.so much for a role model
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by mosquitoNet(m): 12:53pm On Mar 26, 2013
♚ƒԐLis-c∆tus:

Yeah right grin

Anyway one can only wish.

have ur fingers crossed. It will come to pass by the grace of God!
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by jimharry21(m): 1:06pm On Mar 26, 2013
i did not see anywhere Naija was mentioned in that write-up
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by a1solution: 1:07pm On Mar 26, 2013
The guy is a petty thief that is why he was arrested. Africans does not welcome small criminals.
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:09pm On Mar 26, 2013
Make them hold him wella
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Brimmie(m): 1:10pm On Mar 26, 2013
I didnt read it all.. buh i think we should start charging these grown as*s folks in Nigeria aswell!!
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Chanchit: 1:11pm On Mar 26, 2013
11m pere, the people he did d deal with would not even be able to calculate the amount they've stolen since after the in Nigeria.
Re: Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals by Chanchit: 1:16pm On Mar 26, 2013
igbsam: https://www.nairaland.com/1236607/zambia-arrests-former-president-over

Sorry brother, making front page is like a carmel going through a needles eye. Mods go renovate your story, then bring it to the front pg with their alternative acct.

(1) (2) (Reply)

$4 Million Crusade: How Benny Hinn Embarrassed Me – Pastor Adeboye 2005 / Delta At 30: Oke Umurhohwo Celebrates With Gov. Okowa And Deltans / Labour Party Sweeps Ogbomoso North.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.