Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,370 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Finishing School - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Finishing School (12216 Views)

Finishing Pictures Of Owerri Mall / Accounting Finishing School (afs) - Creating A 5-star Accountant / How Much Are You Willing To Pay To Attend A Finishing School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finishing School by Sholeyb: 10:40pm On Mar 30, 2008
Hi,

I reside in the UK and I have seen the decline in the moral standard, manners & etiquette of young people both in the UK and Nigeria, but in fairness I don't think it's that bad in Nigeria yet. But, believe me it is surely going that way.

I am interested in altering their mind set, bad manners & etiquette, for good ones. I went to a finishing school myself.

Do people think, this can be a successful venture in Nigeria. I would appreciate a genuine response.

Thank you.
Re: Finishing School by kwaze(m): 9:28am On Mar 31, 2008
YES OF COURSE,

If you believe its going to work definitely it will.

cheers
Re: Finishing School by naijacutee(f): 12:16pm On Mar 31, 2008
I believe that plenty others share the same views as you, however I don't think that they make up the bulk of the population, as many have more pressing issues e.g where is the next meal coming from. However, I think you may have a market within the affluent. My advice would be for you to do your research in major cities in Nigeria before you proceed with your plans. All the best.

Personally, if I was a successful, financially stable parent, I would send my child to a finishing school.

1 Like

Re: Finishing School by Sholeyb: 1:45pm On Mar 31, 2008
Thanks guys.

A lot of people think that finishing schools are only about vain stuff, but it is deeper and it is something I am passionate about. For instance, I am a lawyer and I have certificates in Personal coaching, Public speaking and Accent softening. I believe things like accents and word pronunciation are major obstacles to people getting certain jobs or even entering the right social class/circle.

There is also the issue of mindset, which is one of the greatest problems in Africa. These things can be taught in finsihing schools.You also learn life skills.

I want the youths of Nigeria to be the best in the world. The world has become a global village and we as Nigerians travel all over the world these days, by implication we are competing against people from other social circles. We must improve our chances of success.

I think that parents should invest in the future of their children. Finishing schools are places where you meet other people that can help you along in life( networking).

Enough said. I am just so enthusiastic about the future of our youth.
Re: Finishing School by Ibime(m): 1:54pm On Apr 12, 2008
My friend owns a finishing school in Lagos and it is doing well. The link is provided below if you want to check it out.

http://www.developingskillsforlife.com/
Re: Finishing School by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 12, 2008
Hey Sholey B,

Real great idea there!! I really agree with you that the future of our Nigerian youth is in Jeopardy if something isn't done soon.!!

I know for a fact that there are a number of finishing schools in Lagos and there've been for a bit.

POISE is really successful and have been around for over a decade , http://www.poisenigeria.com/new_site/index.htm

I think it'll be a good idea to pursue this and explore other cities such as Port Harcourt, maybe Abuja as well.

You also have New Look Professional finishing school (sorry dont have their website addy).

So keep it up and do more research , and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss more with you.

PS
the mindset of Nigerians are changing, self improvement is becoming a hit at the moment! smiley grin
Re: Finishing School by Sholeyb: 7:01pm On Apr 12, 2008
Thanks, you can send me your email address so we can chat.
Re: Finishing School by blueblood1(m): 11:54pm On Apr 13, 2008
hi, ur passion is key to ur assignment in life. if ure enthusiastic and passionate about it, THEN DO IT!
but before u come home exploding with ur passion, get all necessary information and business logistics.

all the best bro!!! or is it sis cool
Re: Finishing School by ziggyton(m): 2:24pm On Apr 14, 2008
Good to know! I have been interesed in setting up a Finishing School for over two years now! Maybe we could team up and do something really cute and different in impacting positively on the minds of our youths. What do you think?
Re: Finishing School by Sholeyb: 5:44pm On Apr 14, 2008
Most certainly. post your email address.

I am so excited that there are others like me, thinking of positively impacting the attitude of our young ones.

@alexisjay- please let me have your contact details as well.
Re: Finishing School by majamaja: 7:21pm On Apr 20, 2008
As a young lady myself,i've always strived to to improve myself.I've read several poise and self-improvement.A finishing school would have made my journey easier.About the New Look finishing school,it is so ridiculously priced 300,000 Naira for what!!!!!!!!!!!!!please,the most expensive school in nigeria,charges the same amount so except you only want to cater to the elites and make a lot of profit you would not price yours so else you would not fulfil not the aim of reaching to all the youth and improving them.
Re: Finishing School by olanajim(m): 12:51pm On Apr 23, 2008
@poster, do you mind sending me an email on the baove subject? I have done extensive research on it for sometime, and i can tell you that I know something about it workability,

oracle_nj@yahoo.com I would tell you more
Re: Finishing School by winch(m): 6:17pm On Apr 25, 2008
i think i luv this, is there any in abuja?
Re: Finishing School by GL(f): 9:56pm On Apr 25, 2008
i went through the POISE website. it looks like a business solutions thing. I am a student and would like to know if there are finishing schools that really teach etiquette, home management, hostessing and other important skills for ladies. I'd also like to find out about accent reduction schools in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Finishing School by Sholeyb: 12:24pm On Apr 26, 2008
I am looking to start one before the end of this year. How much are people willing to pay? I am in England at the moment, but the school may be affiliated to a UK school.

What do u wish to learn? I will teach accent softening, I am a personal coach so will coach people as well, etiquette, hosting, deportment,social skills etc.

There is a lot more that I would teach but I'll leave it for now.

my email is sholeybee@yahoo.com
Re: Finishing School by olanajim(m): 1:25pm On Apr 26, 2008
that is great, to be out of ths country,

IU saw your mail, I would communicvate with you. meanwhile, check the available websites and see if you can get an idea or two.

i agree with majamaje on the reason why peopl may not patronise the school but something can be done to make them patronise it,
Re: Finishing School by websmillio(m): 5:50pm On Apr 28, 2008
I was so quick to read the headline and I thought you are talking about phising.
Phising Mail.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finishing School by hornyhoney: 5:33pm On Apr 29, 2008
the finishing school idea in nigeria is brilliant.but the little i know of such is that its for the elites who have money to throw around.except of course you make it cheap for the common man .good luck
Re: Finishing School by abujabooks(f): 11:36am On May 14, 2008
@Sholeyb,

I am based in the UK as well. Email me at abujabooks@gmail.com

I am interested in this Finishing School for my daughter.
Re: Finishing School by TWayne: 6:45pm On May 14, 2008
@ Sholey B, great idea. I think you should go for it. Just ensure you do all the necessary research AND take more notice of the criticisms you get so you can manipulate them to your advantage. I'm also considering something similar in that area and we could have a chat.

Have a great week!
Re: Finishing School by KollyJay(m): 8:32pm On May 31, 2008
@ poster and all,

I like this. Honeslty speaking, am a youth but never heard about finishing school all my life except about 3weeks ago when I visited one of my clients [I trade the forex market] in Lagos.

And I have always want to be like this woman, so educated, beautiful english and all that. And we were discussing, all of a sudden she said, Kolly Jay, I want you to attend finishing school! I couldnt understand. She expalined everything and its advantages. For example,  I like the word yeah,  all the time instead of yes and all those yankee slangs, you know.

She then explained better y i have to change. For example, she said if am sounding like that to a complete stranger in a phone call for example, the person might conclude he was deal with a wrong person an all that.

So. I found it so hard @ first  to adjust, but she kept on correcting me, and now, I think am better.

My point is, this kinda school will really help aspiring leaders of tomorrow like myself.

Thanks all.

1 Like

Re: Finishing School by MOELLIOTT(f): 10:36pm On Nov 11, 2008
[b]Hi Sholeyb

Kindly send me your email address.
Re: Finishing School by Sholeyb: 12:51am On Dec 22, 2008
I apologise that I did not reply sooner, I have only seen this today. My email is sholeybee@yahoo.com.
Re: Finishing School by LaDehesa: 10:46am On Jul 09, 2009
There is an excellent finishing school based in Lagos, for corporate, adults and children - Style & Grace. They also provide elocution lessons and Corporate customer services and business etiquette training.

Have been featured on some international tv shows.

www.styleandgracesolutions.com
Re: Finishing School by ifybube711: 8:55pm On Dec 10, 2011
Hello sheley,

Please have you started your finishing school?

I'm searching for after school, weekend, or holiday English and pronunciation classes in Lagos for my little children of 3 and 5. Their environment is corrupting their grammar and pronunciation.

Its better to start early. Please i need referrals. Thank you.
Re: Finishing School by hadidej: 5:09am On Sep 15, 2015
Good Morning All,
I hope i am not years late. Actually came across the page while browsing. I am an etiquette consultant and focus mainly on communication, business and presentation skills. Our busy lives and technology has actually influenced most of our manners and etiquette training seems to resolve the issue. Some are lucky they possess these manners but others need to be trained on manners. Good manners is actually priceless. From adults to children, at times, we need to be reminded the importance of putting others before us. There is need to learn empathy, listening skills, interpersonal skills, anger management etc. My organization teaches these. We aspire to inspire people to be better than they were yesterday. My email address is olawandemii@yahoo.com. "What you hear informs you, What you do with what you hear reforms you"
Re: Finishing School by mrsage(m): 9:17am On Sep 15, 2015
hadidej:
Good Morning All,
I hope i am not years late. Actually came across the page while browsing. I am an etiquette consultant and focus mainly on communication, business and presentation skills. Our busy lives and technology has actually influenced most of our manners and etiquette training seems to resolve the issue. Some are lucky they possess these manners but others need to be trained on manners. Good manners is actually priceless. From adults to children, at times, we need to be reminded the importance of putting others before us. There is need to learn empathy, listening skills, interpersonal skills, anger management etc. My organization teaches these. We aspire to inspire people to be better than they were yesterday. My email address is olawandemii@yahoo.com. "What you hear informs you, What you do with what you hear reforms you"

Good. Keep it up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finishing School by efemobilebar: 1:42pm On Apr 07, 2017
Hello!
please any idea of the school fee for the finishing school and the duration. Which is the best to attend in lagos?
Re: Finishing School by Primrose9ja: 10:36am On Oct 24, 2021
Any finishing school in Abuja?

(1) (Reply)

Requirements For Opening A Corporate Bank Account In Nigeria / Lists Of Building Materials Imported From China / 5 Creative Ways To Make Money On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.