Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? (2487 Views)

Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Alice Munro Wins The 2013 Nobel Prize For Literature / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Magicdon(m): 9:13am On Mar 26, 2013
Chinua Achebe Is A World Acclaimed Literary Figure. His classic Novel "Things Fall Apart" Was Translated In Over 70 Foreign Languages. In Holland His Novels "Things Fall Apart" "Arrow Of God" "No Longer At Ease" Was Printed In A Trilogy, The Tired Novels Combined In One Book. He Has Written So Many Books. He Is Admired For His Literary His Prowess! His First Book Dazzled n Stunned The World Of Academia. Everyone Has Been Commending His Works n Personality. No One Mentioned Why He Was Not Awarded A Nobel Prize. I Still Wonder And Kept Wondering Till This Day n Moment Why The Nobel Institute Did Not Give Him A Nobel Prize For Literature. It Still Remains A Mystery To Me. Am Still Puzzled, Cos I Feel He Deserve It. What Do You Say? May I Have Your Humble Opinions.
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Mynd44: 10:03am On Mar 26, 2013
He was good but not good enough
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Magicdon(m): 8:42pm On Mar 26, 2013
Mynd_44: He was good but not good enough
Are u sure, but he was the first African writer n novelist to portray d real picture of Africa to d outside world (europe n america). All d previous ideas Europeans had of Africa was misconceptions n preconceptions.
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by sholay2011(m): 11:49pm On Mar 26, 2013
Magicdon: Are u sure, but he was the first African writer n novelist to portray d real picture of Africa to d outside world (europe n america). All d previous ideas Europeans had of Africa was misconceptions n preconceptions.
You just mentioned his strength...but was he really exceptional?
Though, he doesn't need any nobel prize to validate his status as a literary giant but I believe he had his own lapses...
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by frodobee: 11:13am On Mar 27, 2013
Bernard Shaw won it for his work -the man and the sea- an 80somethin paged work. It was a masterpiece though. My point is this, Prof sure is better than most of the awardees, Gordimer attests to that in her speech after overseein the selection process that saw Prof winnin the 'Man Booker' prize; Noble prize board is aversed to individuals who played active roles in a war, except where they accepted peace- that explains the majority of africans who are winners of the peace category. Prof was a warlord. He fought on our side- a victim of circumstance. Kongi as an instance, was against the said war- a fact that beefed up his chances. War is evil. But the man in hi,m dies, who keeps quiet in the face oppression ditto to Kongi.
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Magicdon(m): 12:24pm On Mar 28, 2013
sholay2011:
You just mentioned his strength...but was he really exceptional?
Though, he doesn't need any nobel prize to validate his status as a literary giant but I believe he had his own lapses...
[color=#000099][/color] pls see the truth n say the truth. Wat do you mean by his lapses. The people dat were given nobel prize for literature they are not even upto Achebe when you compare their works to his. He really deserves it, n he is not begging for it cos he deserves it n really deserve it, even post humously. Those they gave the nobel award aint they a literary giant? Prof Wole Soyinka is he not a literary giant? Chinua strongly deserves it pls. Wole Soyinka's Kongi is not even world wide acclaimed compared to Things Fall Apart. Things Fall Apart Was translated into more than 70 foreign languages in several countries for chris sake. I believe if Prof Chinua was a European or a white man they would have given him a double Nobel prize award!
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Magicdon(m): 1:01pm On Mar 28, 2013
frodobee: Bernard Shaw won it for his work -the man and the sea- an 80somethin paged work. It was a masterpiece though. My point is this, Prof sure is better than most of the awardees, Gordimer attests to that in her speech after overseein the selection process that saw Prof winnin the 'Man Booker' prize; Noble prize board is aversed to individuals who played active roles in a war, except where they accepted peace- that explains the majority of africans who are winners of the peace category. Prof was a warlord. He fought on our side- a victim of circumstance. Kongi as an instance, was against the said war- a fact that beefed up his chances. War is evil. But the man in hi,m dies, who keeps quiet in the face oppression ditto to Kongi.
Objection @frodobee, I really agree wit you, Prof Chinua is far better than most of the awardees of Nobel prize for literature. My objection is this: you said he is a warlord. But we are talking of intellectual skills here not personality, personal or private affairs. Why must they draw sentiments into it. Alfred Nobel that initiated the Nobel Prize Award. He made his money from sale of weapons of warfare. Before he died he entrusted his wealth to the Nobel Prize, which he directed to be awarded to men of excellence in careers of various fields of human endeavours. Tis not only in literature or nobel prize for peace, we also have for physics, for chemistry, for economics, government, for biology etc. Many peopled have been awarded nobel prize for various sciences.
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by tpia5: 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
frodobee: Bernard Shaw won it for his work -the man and the sea- an 80somethin paged work. It was a masterpiece though.

if you mean the old man and the sea, that was by ernest hemmingway.

he [bernard shaw] was awarded the nobel prize not for one single work, but his collective effort.

and according to wiki, he initially wanted to refuse the award because he didnt want public honours.

Shaw wanted to refuse his Nobel Prize outright because he had no desire for public honours, but accepted it at his wife's behest: she considered it a tribute to Ireland. He did reject the monetary award, requesting it be used to finance translation of fellow playwright August Strindberg's works from Swedish to English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bernard_Shaw

1 Like

Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 29, 2013
Magicdon: Are u sure, but he was the first African writer n novelist to portray d real picture of Africa to d outside world (europe n america). All d previous ideas Europeans had of Africa was misconceptions n preconceptions.
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Nobody: 8:18am On Mar 29, 2013
Magicdon: [color=#000099][/color] pls see the truth n say the truth. Wat do you mean by his lapses. The people dat were given nobel prize for literature they are not even upto Achebe when you compare their works to his. He really deserves it, n he is not begging for it cos he deserves it n really deserve it, even post humously. Those they gave the nobel award aint they a literary giant? Prof Wole Soyinka is he not a literary giant? Chinua strongly deserves it pls. Wole Soyinka's Kongi is not even world wide acclaimed compared to Things Fall Apart. Things Fall Apart Was translated into more than 70 foreign languages in several countries for chris sake. I believe if Prof Chinua was a European or a white man they would have given him a double Nobel prize award!
You said if Achebe was a European they would have given him double Nobel Prize; is Wole Soyinka a European?

1 Like

Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by frodobee: 8:28am On Mar 29, 2013
Tpia@ tnks for the correction. I really fancied his works(Hemmingway) for his simplicity and depth, such a style that is noticeable in Achebe's work. Overall, his role in the war was his bane. You will not believe it, but its true.
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 31, 2013
I believe those experts and proven professionals in the field of literature awarding Nobel laureate see more than the judgement of U and I in any literature piece....!!!!
simple!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Magicdon(m): 6:38pm On Apr 22, 2013
donroxy: I believe those experts and proven professionals in the field of literature awarding Nobel laureate see more than the judgement of U and I in any literature piece....!!!!simple!!!
@ mynd 44 Chinua Achebe image at d moment has dwarfed d nobel committee, the would really ant to associate wit his achievements n d attention he has built on his literary status n works. They are biting their fingers hard now.
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Magicdon(m): 6:38pm On Apr 22, 2013
donroxy: I believe those experts and proven professionals in the field of literature awarding Nobel laureate see more than the judgement of U and I in any literature piece....!!!!simple!!!
@ mynd 44 Chinua Achebe image at d moment has dwarfed d nobel committee, the would really ant to associate wit his achievements n d attention he has built on his literary status n works. They are biting their fingers hard now. But tis too late.
Re: Why Was Chinua Achebe Not Awarded The Prestigious Nobel Prize For Literature? by Magicdon(m): 7:06pm On Apr 22, 2013
I believe if Chinua was awarded the nobel prize for literature, he would hav trampled it n rejected it just d way he rubbished d national awards given to him by d presidency.

(1) (Reply)

Sequel To 'the Bottled Leopard'. By Chukwuemeka Ike / Free Books, Short Stories And More From Around The World / Serious Writers Needed!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.