Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! (13994 Views)

If You Are Given This Type Of Food By Your Inlaws (picture) / Food Sweeteners: Quick Facts You Should Know Before You Consume / See The Kind Of Food Served For Lunch At An IDP Camp In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 10:49am On Mar 26, 2013
Food sweetening substances are
greater advancement in the field of food chemistry. It is used widely in Nigeria for the production of juice, powdered juice, wine, yoghurt, milk, beverages and other food drinks and food substances. It is cheaper and 200 times sweeter than sugar and saccharine. Moreover, there are several and severe side effects that comes along with the consumption of these chemical compounds. Nigerian legislators, like other country legislators do not make any comment on these substances. Some of the chemical compound food sweetener includes:

CYCLAMATES: Food sweetner that
contains very toxic substance that
can cause bladder cancer. Its has
been bound in the USA

NEOTAME: Cancer causing substance

ACESULPHAME - K: Used in the
sweetening of Viju Milk, Bobo and
some other drinks. It can cause
cancer also when taken in large
dosage or quantity.

ASPERTAME: Used in the sweetening of powdered juice such as Eve, Nutric C and other powdered juice substances. It can cause cancer when taken in large quantity and it prevent the quick healing of wounds even when taken in small quatity.

Others are:
ALITAME
ASPERTAME ACESULPHAME salt

So, therefore eat fresh food, eat
green food, drink plenty water and exercise yourself daily.

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Mortiple(m): 11:45am On Mar 26, 2013
God bless you for this info. Unfortunately, many of us are educated but uninformed. We tend to think that patronizing junk food highlights our financial and social status.

As for me, I try my best to take fresh food and drink.

Having Juice Extractor at home is a good step toward overcoming the temptation of taking processed drinks.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 26, 2013
what about natural sweetener like honey?
is it harmful too
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Mar 26, 2013
Thank u op for this wonderful package.of course pple will not like to comment on it but things like "tuface wedding cards,omotala miss or hit"etc,and all d trash dat doesn't make sense at times to me here.d rate wit which companies use all these sweetners r alarming. I encountad a small gal of eight havin tooth pain cos d tooth has decayed(pdt of sweats).u c a mother buyin those things for their children thinkin she is doing them good.I wish we know how to minimize the usage.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 6:20pm On Mar 26, 2013
~vicky~:
what about natural sweetener like honey?
is it harmful too

As a healing remedy, natural honey can address multiple issues. There are far more benefits of honey than I can include here but here are some of the more interesting benefits you may not know about.
Organic, raw honey can provide
an energy boost. Its carbohydrates supply energy and strength and it can boost your endurance and reduce muscle fatigue.
Honey is a great aid in relieving
morning sickness, reportedly
even more effective than
traditional soda crackers.
Honey is good for sore throats,
laryngitis and pharyngitis.
Honey and cinnamon can help in
many areas including relief from
bladder infections, arthritis, upset
stomach and bad breath. It’s
even supposed to be able to
slow down hair loss.
Raw honey can be used as a
medication for issues related to
male impotence and female
infertility. Warm raw goat milk
and raw honey is believed to
increase sperm count
considerably.
A salve made of honey, for
diabetic ulcers, has been proven
effective when other topical
antibiotics are not well tolerated.
It can be applied to eczema,
canker sores or bleeding gums.
Honey and apple cider vinegar
can be used for many ailments
like stomach aches, constipation
and even migraines.
Honey and lemon goes to work
in the body shifting the extra fat
stores, thus making it usable
energy for regular body functions. Honey is cholesterol-free and can reportedly help keep cholesterol levels in check. Raw honey has a viscous texture due to its low water content. It is a poor environment for bad bacteria to grow and is a good natural preservative.

Any more questions pls ask me.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 6:29pm On Mar 26, 2013
Mortiple: God bless you for this info. Unfortunately, many of us are educated but uninformed. We tend to think that patronizing junk food highlights our financial and social status.

As for me, I try my best to take fresh food and drink.

Having Juice Extractor at home is a good step toward overcoming the temptation of taking processed drinks.

Our food and drug agencies may not want to waste time in doing this food and drugs chemical assay or analysis. So many processed food and sweetened water may be carcinogenic and can prevent both internal and external wounds from healing on time.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 26, 2013
any side effects of taking much honey?
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 6:34pm On Mar 26, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Thank u op for this wonderful package.of course pple will not like to comment on it but things like "tuface wedding cards,omotala miss or hit"etc,and all d trash dat doesn't make sense at times to me here.d rate wit which companies use all these sweetners r alarming. I encountad a small gal of eight havin tooth pain cos d tooth has decayed(pdt of sweats).u c a mother buyin those things for their children thinkin she is doing them good.I wish we know how to minimize the usage.

I hope this will get to the front page on time, so that people will know the truth about what they consume daily. Also as a result of this knowledge, the money that will be spent on battling cancer will spent on better issue.

I am open to any questions based on this.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 6:42pm On Mar 26, 2013
Moderator, pls pity our fellow nairalanders and take this to the front page.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by bolorunfem(f): 4:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
@Patuwa, how will it be on the front page when it's not about 'Tonto Dikeh' or has something to do with 'their Oga at the Top'?

@OP, keep up the good work. I pray folks will learn the lesson(s) contained therein and thereby elongate their lives and those of their children too. Well done.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 5:18pm On Mar 27, 2013
bolorunfem: @Patuwa, how will it be on the front page when it's not about 'Tonto Dikeh' or has something to do with 'their Oga at the Top'?

@OP, keep up the good work. I pray folks will learn the lesson(s) contained therein and thereby elongate their lives and those of their children too. Well done.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by melek: 8:35am On Mar 29, 2013
hmmmmm. i've learnt something new today.
the funny thing is that natural foods & fruits are more affordable than all these "chemicalised" food substances.
i used 2love Nutri C because i taught its vitamin C.
now i know better.
thanks so much OP!

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 9:00am On Mar 29, 2013
Please moderators dont move it to front page. I know the ops to be a profesional food and analytical chemist. But my kwestion is this why have you chosen to pour sand for all this fruit jiuce company. Thier are so many chemical use in the food and juice industry in nigeria that consuming a very little qauntity is very harmful to the system. Especialy for sweteening and preservation.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 9:12am On Mar 29, 2013
melek: hmmmmm. i've learnt something new today.
the funny thing is that natural foods & fruits are more affordable than all these "chemicalised" food substances.
now i know better.
thanks so much OP!
una never see anything yet. Abi nigeria like and love to buy sweet and fanciful food for thier children. Thier are substance three thousand times sweter than sugar that they secretly used in the juice industry in nigeria and it is harmful in small quantity.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 9:15am On Mar 29, 2013
now i know better.
thanks so much OP!
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by MrSinister(m): 2:17pm On Mar 29, 2013
Toxicology 101, EVERYTHING IS POISON! Its the dosage that is pathological that varies. So, my dear eat and drink, nothing do you.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 29, 2013
Op nice one, so wat fruit juice can u recommend for kids.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2013
A
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 5:49pm On Mar 29, 2013
Mr.Sinister:
Toxicology 101, EVERYTHING IS POISON! Its the dosage that is pathological that varies. So, my dear eat and drink, nothing do you.
i want you to know one thing most of those so called fruit juice are chemicals mixed together to produce it. Thaumatin is 100,000 times sweter than sugar and very cheap to produce and is highly posionous. Most of this fruit drink most times do secretly add it to cut cost for sugar is too expensive for them to buy.
cocospice: Op nice one, so wat fruit juice can u recommend for kids.
i want you to know one thing most of those so called fruit juice are chemicals mixed together to produce it. Thaumatin is 100,000 times sweter than sugar and very cheap to produce and is highly posionous. Most of this fruit drink most times do secretly add it to cut cost for sugar is too expensive for them to buy.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 5:52pm On Mar 29, 2013
the choice is urs as an adult and learned person. If you chose to give them a lot of water as against those junk, it is well
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 5:53pm On Mar 29, 2013
now i know better.
thanks so much OP!

Nutric C which contains up to 90mg of Aspertame can be toxic, when it is used to feed laboratory rats. Cyclamates which is 30 times sweeter and cheaper than ordinary sugar has been banned by FDA in 1970, in The United State due to its arguable carcinogenic nature. So, therefore, do not consider its sweet content, stay away from them.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 6:01pm On Mar 29, 2013
Bring any thing into this country give them a good name put them in beautifull and colorful container give nafdac the right amount of bribe. That is all you need to become a millonaire.
Patuwa:

Nutric C which contains up to 90mg of Aspertame can be toxic, when it is used to feed laboratory rats. Cyclamates which is 30 times sweeter and chaper than ordinary sugar has been banned by FDA in 1970, in The United State due to its arguable carcinogenic nature. So, therefore, do not consider its sweet content, stay away from them.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 6:04pm On Mar 29, 2013
Mr.Sinister:

How much do you think its too much and how much do u think its too small. According to Davoli 1986a, a relatively small amount of aspartame (e.g., one can of soda
ingested by a child) can significantly increase plasma
methanol levels. ( www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/abuse/methanol.html ). So, you better stay away from the secret poison Aspertame.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 7:33pm On Mar 29, 2013

I cant suggest any packaged fruit juice for now, because I know majority of them contained artificial food sweetener. I will suggest home made fruit juice from natural fruit substances and or ordinary water. (not lacasera, coke, pepsi or other sweetened water).
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 29, 2013
Pls wat of maltina sip It for kids, am concernd of wat to pack for lunch during school periods
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 9:54pm On Mar 29, 2013
Maltina is too big for this nonesense. Apart from being nutritous it contain a lot of things that the human system needs e.g macro and micro nutrients that enrich the body. If you can afford it is okay. But not every day
cocospice: Pls wat of maltina sip It for kids, am concernd of wat to pack for lunch during school periods
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 11:14pm On Mar 29, 2013
cocospice: Pls wat of maltina sip It for kids, am concernd of wat to pack for lunch during school periods

Maltina is enriched with essential vitamins B complex and C in addition to its natural ingredient base. Maltina is also a food replacement/nourishment drinks It is produced from non-alcoholic beer like sugar fest. Maltina is one of the nation's malt drinks that has been certified by the Nutrition Society of Nigeria (NSN) as a nutritional beverage rich in calcium. I am not doing advert for Maltina, but as a Chattered Chemist, I understand its production processes. Too much of Maltina willl not be advisable, water can substitute for some other time. Any more questions pls?
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by MrSinister(m): 8:25am On Mar 30, 2013
Patuwa:

Maltina is enriched with essential vitamins B complex and C in addition to its natural ingredient base. Maltina is also a food replacement/nourishment drinks It is produced from non-alcoholic beer like sugar fest. Maltina is one of the nation's malt drinks that has been certified by the Nutrition Society of Nigeria (NSN) as a nutritional beverage rich in calcium. I am not doing advert for Maltina, but as a Chattered Chemist, I understand its production processes. Too much of Maltina willl not be advisable, water can substitute for some other time. Any more questions pls?

My dear, you are advertising for them and at the same time spoiling other peoples businesses. If the almighty FDA in the united states hasn't banned aspartame, why do you now think we should do so here. In one of your posts you said food manufacturers bribe nafdac, how you take know? Where is your evidence?

FYI am a food microbiologist soon to be a certified public analyst, so i know what am talking about when i say you are being mischievous.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Omexonomy: 8:40am On Mar 30, 2013
Mr.Sinister:

My dear, you are advertising for them and at the same time spoiling other peoples businesses. If the almighty FDA in the united states hasn't banned aspartame, why do you now think we should do so here. In one of your posts you said food manufacturers bribe nafdac, how you take know? Where is your evidence?

FYI am a food microbiologist soon to be a certified public analyst, so i know what am talking about when i say you are being mischievous.
the FDA might not ban it for they have what it takes to treat any body that is being harm by thier chemicalised food e.g cancer of the bowel cancer of the large intestine liver damage heart related deaseas etc. Do we have any hospital that can treat such ailment. Too much chemicalised food in circulation which is even making things funny. Why cant we as nigeria stick to natural food. For i know that it is what parent give to thier children they will eat.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by Patuwa: 3:43pm On Mar 30, 2013
Mr.Sinister:

The USA banned aspertame and later lift the ban due to 'My Oga At The Top' effect. Pls check out this and review it on Aspertame ban www.collective-evolution.com/2013/01/19/the-shocking-story-of-how-aspartame-became-legal/

Acesulfame K used in the production of Viju Milk has questionable characteristic and on its way to be ban soon. aspartame.tripod.com/acesulf.htm

Cyclamates was also ban by the USA due to its cancer causing nature. www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/549cyclamate.html

Mr Sinister and Mr. Certified Public Analyst to be, there is no where in my post I said NAFDAC has been bribed to keep quiet on the issue of dangerous food sweetners. Also, I want you to know that Malt products are very good for consumption, especially the low sugar ones and pls be very carefull when analysing public goods for consumption and do not push people close to their graves because of ur psychology and philosphy on every thing.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by MrSinister(m): 6:11pm On Mar 30, 2013
Patuwa:

The USA banned aspertame and later lift the ban due to 'My Oga At The Top' effect. Pls check out this and review it on Aspertame ban www.collective-evolution.com/2013/01/19/the-shocking-story-of-how-aspartame-became-legal/

Acesulfame K used in the production of Viju Milk has questionable characteristic and on its way to be ban soon. aspartame.tripod.com/acesulf.htm

Cyclamates was also ban by the USA due to its cancer causing nature. www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/549cyclamate.html

Mr Sinister and Mr. Certified Public Analyst to be, there is no where in my post I said NAFDAC has been bribed to keep quiet on the issue of dangerous food sweetners. Also, I want you to know that Malt products are very good for consumption, especially the low sugar ones and pls be very carefull when analysing public goods for consumption and do not push people close to their graves because of ur psychology and philosphy on every thing.

There is no experimental evidence to prove what you are saying. All this sources you are quoting are not reputable and are at best giving unverified information.
Re: The Dangers Of Food Sweeteners We Eat Everyday! by MrSinister(m): 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2013
@Patuwa

Your friend Omexonomy made that allegation in an earlier post. But it might still be your view on this matter anyway.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bakers Set To Increase Bread Prices / How Do You Think Is The Best Way To Drink Garri? / Food Stuff Prices From Mile 12 Market Ketu Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.