Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

To Go Or Not To Go? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Go Or Not To Go? (469 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

To Go Or Not To Go? by EreluY(f): 3:54pm On Mar 26, 2013
An acquaintance of mine who has been jobless for a while recently got a job with the University of Maiduguri. I vehemently objected to him taking up that job offer on account of the security situation in that part of Naija. In fact, one of his siblings told him to arrange his funeral before leaving for Maiduguri, if he must go and take up the job offer. His mum (dad had passed away) said his decision to go to Maiduguri would send her to her early grave! For his upkeep, I offered to help him with £150.00 per month (I know it's not great) for the next one year (hoping he'll get a job in that period). He still wouldn't budge, insisting "s/he who would drown in a river/sea/ocean would not die in a desert where there is no water."

Fellow NLders, do you think it's wise for this young man whose parents invested a lot into his future (including overseas education) to head up north (Maiduguri) to pursue a lecturing career? What's your candid opinion? Thanks.
Re: To Go Or Not To Go? by EreluY(f): 10:46pm On Mar 29, 2013
[size=18pt]Common guys, get talking. Or silence here means consent? lol.[/size]
Re: To Go Or Not To Go? by OneNaira6: 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2013
I don't think it's a wise decision. it probably would have been, back in the day when there was avlittle bit of peace and security. anyway, If he wants to go, let him. You guys sound like you've done all una can to talk him out of it. let him go, It's his funeral. This is what one of my friends mom told his cousin once and I think the message still applies here, so pass this along to him,

If you die, who will spend your salary? Is it you?
When you die, what will you tell God that killed?
Does it not say you should cherish your life and the little you got more than wealth?

Anyway if he wants to go, stop stressing over it, hug him when he leaves and pray for his safety.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

JTF Destroys Terrorists' Armoury, Arrests Four In Kano / Nigeria, An Aircraft Being Flown By Unwilling And Unskilled Pilot / Deputy Governor Of Ekiti State Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.