Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,698 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer (14409 Views)

Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Nobody: 9:04am On Mar 27, 2013
Ten months after the death of Nigeria's all-time leading scorer, Rashidi Yekini, his lawyer, Mohammed Olanrewaju, has alleged that his client was killed.

The lawyer has also fingered members of Yekini's family as accomplices in his death.

"If I'm to file a charge against anybody it will be against his mother, his immediate sister and two brothers.

"Yekini was forcefully taken out of his house in Ibadan by herbalists and his mother was present during all of this. He was hit in the head with some charm-like stuff before he was locked in chains and taken away to Apete area in Ibadan.

"He was kept there for about three weeks during this time I had no access to him. His immediate sister, Rufiat, later told me he was chained down for this whole period and that her brother begged to allow him talk to me so that he can tell me what was being done to him. They rejected his pleas because they knew if I knew his whereabouts I'll rally round and ensure he's freed from that place," claimed Barrister Olanrewaju during a sports programme on a Lagos-based radio station, Top FM, Tuesday.

"I also wrote to the Nigeria Police informing them about the death of Rashidi Yekini. I had wanted them to provide protection to guard his house (in Ibadan) so that they will be able to preserve any evidence gathered at the house to help further investigation into his death. But the reply I got from the police was that I should arrange for private guards myself as the police cannot do me such a favour.

"I was disappointed after this because I had narrowed down the reason for protection on his property. I learnt on two occasions after Yekini was taken away that his brother and sister came to the house and took away some things. So I didn't want the investigation jeopardised with people going in and out of the house and destroying possible evidence.

"The police didn't do anything except that I was told that his death was circumstantial with no conclusive evidence. I remember that the former (Oyo State) police commissioner had to intervene on three occasions when they tried to abduct him on the grounds that he was mentally ill without a doctor's report to back their claim. He gave an order that no one should try to move near Rashidi Yekini or take him away without the consent of the Nigeria Police.

Yekini's daughter, Omoyemi, who was also a guest on the radio show, cleared the air on the purported mental state of her late father.

"I wasn't surprised (about claims that my dad was mentally unstable)," she said. "This is because people felt living alone was an evidence of his mental state. My mum tried to know why he wanted to stay alone but he insisted. I spent most of my holidays with him and whenever I was due to return to school in Osogbo he would buy all of my school materials and also give me my tuition fee."

Olanrewaju then lifted the lid on the fact that when the herbal treatment given to Yekini went awry leading to his death, the former Nigerian striker was rushed to a clinic in Apete, where the doctor pronounced him dead.

"He was rushed to a clinic in Apete. A note from the doctor said he died of a cardio issue I can't now recall," said the lawyer.

The lawyer also claimed that Yekini had fallen out with his mother over an estranged child brought into the family by another woman who he denied having anything to do with.

A book titled 'Rashidi Yekini' on the late footballer's life is expected to be unveiled in Ibadan in May this year.

Yekini died in Ibadan on May 4, 2012 at the age of 48.

Supersport.com will publish an interview with Yekini's mother as a follow-up to this latest development surrounding the death of the Nigerian legend.

Source: SuperSport
http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/130326/Yekini_was_murdered_says_his_lawyer

MORE; OIL PRINCEE..COM

Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Valto(m): 9:19am On Mar 27, 2013
what a pity!!

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by vladimiros: 2:44pm On Mar 28, 2013
yekini..

most charismatic yoruba man to play for the eagles

after odegbami smiley

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 28, 2013
vladimiros: yekini..

after odegbami smiley
MUDA LAWAL.
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Afam4eva(m): 2:48pm On Mar 28, 2013
What was actually wrong with Yekini before he died.
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by PweetiQueensy(f): 2:48pm On Mar 28, 2013
Eyahhh.... Anyhw sha, justice shud b done... Be it mum, sis, or bros

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 28, 2013
Sneezing
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Afam4eva(m): 2:49pm On Mar 28, 2013
obadiah777: MUDA LAWAL.
Obafemi Martins
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by jjwaterfalls(f): 2:50pm On Mar 28, 2013
Such is life cry
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Gwekzy: 2:53pm On Mar 28, 2013
Oh No.. Don't disturb d dead pls...he shuld rest in peace...Oga lawyer dere re oda ways 2 make moni
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by jbass1(m): 2:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
aw i wish he was an mfm member.

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
Obafemi Martins
OBAFEMI MARTINS IS CHARISMATIC ? REALLY ?
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Mooye41(m): 2:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
What a world, this is wickedness of highest order. And this whole mess is carried out by his own family members, his mum inclusive. What do people actually stand to gain from wickedness. May God continue to expose the wicked ones.
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by vladimiros: 2:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
Obafemi Martins

I SAID CHARISMATIC, NOT BEST PLAYER
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by 1forall: 2:56pm On Mar 28, 2013
I hope justice is served in this case
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Afam4eva(m): 2:56pm On Mar 28, 2013
obadiah777: OBAFEMI MARTINS IS CHARISMATIC ? REALLY ?

vladimiros:

I SAID CHARISMATIC, NOT BEST PLAYER
Pls what does charisma mean? lol
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2013
Afam4eva:

Pls what does charisma mean? lol
PERSONALITY. AURA. ELEGANCE GRACE.
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by vladimiros: 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2013
obadiah777: PERSONALITY. AURA. ELEGANCE.
#

thanks man

most nigerians don't know the meaning, sad
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2013
vladimiros: #

thanks man

STATE OF OUR EDUCATION LOL
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Afam4eva(m): 3:00pm On Mar 28, 2013
obadiah777: PERSONALITY. AURA. ELEGANCE GRACE.
vladimiros: #

thanks man

I know the meaning...I just want to know if Charisma is written on the forehead. Cos i don't know why those people you mentioned are charismatic and Obafemi is not. Could it mean that what you guyz meant was humble of quiet?
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by vladimiros: 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2013
Afam4eva:

I know the meaning...I just want to know if Charisma is written on the forehead. Cos i don't know why those people you mentioned are charismatic and Obafemi is not. Could it mean that what you guyz meant was humble of quiet?

no, charisma, like obadiah said is elegance, how you are seem , perceived and liked

odegbami and yekini have it, obafemi maybe but not like the other 2
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by babymama3: 3:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
They should leave his mother alone
SHe did what every loving mother would do to help a sick son
Reports say he had mental issues
She took him to get help the way she knew how and he eventually died
She didn't kill her son
There were various reports of his state before he died just like everyone is talking about Majek fashek
Tomorrow if a Concerned family member bundles him somewhere to get treated and he dies,he will be accused of murder?
They should free this grieving mother and her children please!

If the herbalist killed him,charge the herbalist with murder,Yekini's mom did not take him there to be killed but to be cured or helped
Unless the lawyer has evidence that she connived with the herbalist ahead of time to murder her own son,he should bring such evidence forth
Or else allow the woman grieve

4 Likes

Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by ylaa(f): 3:08pm On Mar 28, 2013
please lez allow the dead to rest in peace. thank you.
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by Okijajuju1(m): 3:14pm On Mar 28, 2013
I suspect either NURTW or OPC. angry
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by 1shortblackboy: 3:16pm On Mar 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
Obafemi Martins
y. Taye taiwo
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by maskid(m): 3:17pm On Mar 28, 2013
vladimiros: yekini..

after odegbami smiley

MOST U ALWAYS GO TRIBAL?? SMH this country is finished!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
Oow!
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by konami001: 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
I suspect you.... yes you...looking at me now
Re: Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer by miqos02(m): 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2013
let them leave the dead to REST IN PEACE

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cheapest Price Data Mtn 1100 For 1gb / Computers Will Decide Next Season’s Champions League Draw / ATK Secure The Service Of Kalu Uche From Delhi Dynamos In Mega-deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.