Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency (1173 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / No Genuine Reason To Remove Oil Subsidy Yet–buhari / Oil Subsidy Removal, Booby Trap For Buhari – Bamidele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency by Maxymilliano(m): 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2013
Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table

Contrary to the speculation in the media and assumption by certain groups within the polity, we wish to state categorically that, the removal of subsidy is not on the table of the transformation agenda of the President.

The statement made by President Goodluck Jonathan at the recent Economic Summit held in Lagos was a frank, intellectual and well articulated contribution by the President to the discussion on the Nigerian Economy at the said Summit and it was from an honest and sincere leadership perspective.

It is an undeniable fact that every responsible leadership, genuine stakeholder and patriot must be worried when a Nation spends about N1 Trillion, an equivalent of about 20% of the National Budget, on subsidy paid out to a few companies and enjoyed in the main by very few elites, while the common man benefits only minimally.

However, it is an incontrovertible fact that sufficient allocation for fuel subsidy has already being made in the 2013 budget, therefore, there is no cause for alarm on removal of subsidy. The President and this administration are not insensitive to the plights of the Nigerian Masses and will continue to pursue and execute policies and programmes that are in the overall interest of majority of Nigerians and that will bring the greatest good to the greatest number of our teeming population.

Finally, for the avoidance of doubt and at the risk of being repetitive, this administration is not considering the issue of the removal of subsidy in the nearest future and certainly will not embark on such programme without extensive consultations and engagements across the various segments, interests, and stakeholders in the Nigerian polity.

Dr. Doyin Okupe

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs

Re: Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency by Maxymilliano(m): 7:35pm On Mar 28, 2013
Will somebody do justice to this thread and move it to the frontpage !!!
Re: Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency by Demdem(m): 8:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
1) i dont believe okupe the dog. he is a liar.
2) Before the previous full removal before it became partial removal, we were told it will happen in April 2012 but it happened far before then.
This press release shouldnt be trusted, neither should our govt be trusted. Nigerians should live their lives as it comes. It can happen at any time. retardeen doesnt give a damn.

1 Like

Re: Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency by Pygru: 9:57pm On Mar 28, 2013
Re: Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency by Maxymilliano(m): 10:07pm On Mar 28, 2013
Demdem: 1) i dont believe okupe the dog. he is a liar.
2) Before the previous full removal before it became partial removal, we were told it will happen in April 2012 but it happened far before then.
This press release shouldnt be trusted, neither should our govt be trusted. Nigerians should live their lives as it comes. It can happen at any time. retardeen doesnt give a damn.

The retardeen sure give a damn Bro, fuel subsidy is a necessary evil that need to be done away with.

Deregulating the downstream is not as easy as you and I thought it to be bro. Former President Obasanjo made veil attempts as far back as 2002 but got confronted with the staggering reality, and fortunately or unfortunately, couldn't rein in the monster.

Late President Yar'dua caught a glimpse of the factors militating against full deregulation of the sector, he later proclaimed the existence of a cabal after fickle attempt.

The 'Retardeen' came in and rather than pandering to whims as dictated by the force in the sector, chose to work out a solution around the challenge.

The so called 'cabal' was never about individuals but institutionalized and systemic modus operandi that renders useless and frustrate any attempt to correct the status quo.

I can only wish the 'Retardeen' the very best of luck in this voyage, and like I said to some folks earlier, Jonathan is not the problem of this country, there are few leaders that can do what he's doing, given the present circumstance.
Re: Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency by Tolexander: 10:15pm On Mar 28, 2013
Maybe they've forgotten they kept it in the drawer after packing it from the table!
Re: Oil Subsidy Removal - Not On The Table - Presidency by Demdem(m): 10:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
Maxymilliano:

The retardeen sure give a damn Bro,

no he doesnt. he doesnt need u or me to remove it. retardeen will do hatever retardeen wants to do

fuel subsidy is a necessary evil that need to be done away with.

I agree. however the neccessary steps that needs to be taken before then must come first. u dont place the cart before the horse.

Deregulating the downstream is not as easy as you and I thought it to be bro. Former President Obasanjo made veil attempts as far back as 2002 but got confronted with the staggering reality, and fortunately or unfortunately, couldn't rein in the monster.

Late President Yar'dua caught a glimpse of the factors militating against full deregulation of the sector, he later proclaimed the existence of a cabal after fickle attempt.

The 'Retardeen' came in and rather than pandering to whims as dictated by the force in the sector, chose to work out a solution around the challenge.

The so called 'cabal' was never about individuals but institutionalized and systemic modus operandi that renders useless and frustrate any attempt to correct the status quo.

Again i state that it isnt easy simply because they are all looking for a fast route to deregulation. how much have we cut off the leakages? do we still know how much we consume? how much have we invested in refineries rather than waiting for some investors? are we self sufficient or highly dependent on importation in the midst of plenty etc all these needs to be sorted out vis a vis the purchasing power of most Nigerians. If these issues arent looked into, it will always be difficult and never easy.

I can only wish the 'Retardeen' the very best of luck in this voyage,

And the retardeen will always receive the same brickwall response from Nigerians if he continues to go by the same route we have always gone. Only a mad man will expect a different result doing the same thing.

and like I said to some folks earlier, Jonathan is not the problem of this country,

retardeen is compounding our problems. of recent, he pardoned a thief. Does that make sense to u?

there are few leaders that can do what he's doing, given the present circumstance.

Ur opinion. retardeen is doing just like he did in bayelsa. padi padi govt.

(1) (Reply)

Abia: When Evidence Marks The End Of Argument / I Am A Money Magician — Ubah / News: Rivers State Tops List Of HIV Prevalent In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.