Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,879 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Funniest Movie You Have Seen - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Funniest Movie You Have Seen (7009 Views)

That Movie You Can't Get Tired Of Watching / What Was The Last Movie You Watched - Part 2 / What Was The Last Movie You Watched? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by almondjoy(f): 7:14am On Apr 05, 2008
How can I forget:

Mrs Doubtfire?

he he he he he! grin grin grin
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by almondjoy(f): 7:19am On Apr 05, 2008
Oh yes!

Meet The Fockers! grin grin grin

D-reloaded:

Some of you are easily amused embarassed

Definitely not with most recent movies with Eddie Murphy of course. . .except "Trading Places".  Or with Jim Carey in it.  Different levels I guess!

d_oracle:

Neoteny e bi like say your head don dey shake. Y u dey play fuji afron for my jazz? If u mention one word when take style resemble insult or question, i go personally enter this screen give u slap like the one when mr. bones give prince for mr. bones.
Na only oyibo films una dey mention?
what about Ukwa?

Only for domestic village helps like a[b] Mr. Ibu like you![/b] kiss  Ukwa ma arse! Aki and Paw Paw nko? Those kinds of movies trailer thrash, austerity budget "flicks" can only thrill housegirls, drivers, pure water and gala sellers looking for after hours cheap romance in the backyard of the house where they have taken refuge from their villages!

Phewwwwwwwwwww!  Osuofia in London, He Goat, Spanner parts 1-5 nko?  Bush man! I can only imagine you look like "John Okafor's" twin brother with pot belly and all! You need to get the hell out of here if you have nothing to contribute but attack others!

MOFO!
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by almondjoy(f): 7:25am On Apr 05, 2008
Yes, all those British comedies of those days. . ."The Carry On" Series! grin grin grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_On_films

Early films
From 1958 to 1962 the films' screenplays were written by Norman Hudis and mostly shot in black and white. Set in institutions of various types, the bungling protagonists usually fail, then eventually triumph in the face of some adversity.
Carry On Sergeant (1958)
Carry On Nurse (1959)
The top-grossing film in the UK in 1959.
Carry On Teacher (1959)
Carry On Constable (1960)
Carry On Regardless (1961)
Carry On Cruising (1962)
The first colour film of the series.
A black-and-white film, Carry On Spaceman, was planned for release after Carry On Regardless, but was abandoned. Plans for a revival of the film in 1962, under Dennis Gifford, also failed.

Classic Carry On
In 1963 Talbot Rothwell took over the role of screenwriter. The settings became more ambitious, often parodying well-known films or genres. Coinciding with the sexual revolution, they featured more explicit sexual jokes and situations. The films made in colour in the '60s remain among the most popular of the series.

Carry On Cabby (1963)
Back to black-and-white; originally scripted as a non-Carry On film called Call Me a Cab
Carry On Jack (1963)
In colour again; not considered a successful film in the canon
Carry On Spying (1964)
Carry On Cleo (1964)
Carry On Cowboy (1965)
Carry On Screaming (1966)
Don't Lose Your Head (1966)
A Scarlet Pimpernel spoof.
Follow That Camel (1967)
Carry On Doctor (1967)
Carry On up the Khyber (1968)
Carry On Camping (1969)
The highest grossing film that year in the UK
Carry On Again Doctor (1969)
The loss of the Carry On prefix from the titles of 'Don't Lose Your Head' and 'Follow That Camel' was due to the change of distributor from Anglo-Amalgamated to Rank. Both films were later re-issued with a Carry On, prefix.

Into the 1970s
Although the series continued to be popular in the early 1970s, there was a growing feeling among the cast and critics that the quality of the films was declining.

British society was becoming more accustomed to seeing sexual content on screen, and the innuendos of the series no longer had the impact they did before, although they became noticeably stronger. Rothwell continued as writer.

Carry On Up the Jungle (1970)
Carry On Loving (1970)
Carry On Henry (1971) (with Sid James as Henry VIII)
Carry On at Your Convenience (1971)
This was the first box office failure in the series, something attributed to the film's attempt at exploring the political themes of the trade union movement — with, crucially, the unionists
Carry On Matron (1972)

Carry On Abroad (1972)
This film, about a disastrous package holiday where anything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong, was Charles Hawtrey's last Carry On.
Carry On Girls (1973)
The story of a struggling seaside resort's attempt to organise a beauty contest, and the efforts of militant feminists, to oppose it. This was the first film where key regulars Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey were both absent. The sexual humour in this film is notably less subtle than its predecessors.
Carry On Dick (1974) (a Dick Turpin spoof)
The last Rothwell film, and the last to feature Sid James, Hattie Jacques, and Barbara Windsor. It is often seen as the last "true" Carry On.

Decline
[size=15pt]Owing to the withdrawal of American funding from British films, with a few exceptions, many of the most profitable British films during the 1970s were those adapted from television series (such as Steptoe and Son), or erotic comedies.[/size]

The influence of these genres is keenly felt in the Carry On series' output of this period, with an increased sexual content and more television stars (such as Windsor Davies) appearing in place of regulars.

Carry On Behind (1975)
Windsor Davies, Ian Lavender, and headlining guest star Elke Sommer. This was the final Carry On film appearance for Bernard Bresslaw.
Carry On England (1976)
This film featured an almost entirely new cast. Although Carry On regular Kenneth Connor had a leading role the only other regulars present, Joan Sims and Peter Butterworth, had only small roles in the film. Windsor Davies who had joined the series with the preceding film again plays a major role. Other key roles are taken by established and recognisable actors Judy Geeson and Patrick Mower. A major commercial failure, this film was withdrawn from some cinemas after just three days [1].
That's Carry On! (1977)
A compilation of clips with specially filmed linking footage presented by Kenneth Williams and Barbara Windsor.
Carry On Emmannuelle (1978)
An attempt to revive the series by increasing the sexual content. This film is notable in that Jack Douglas plays a character other than his stuttering Alf Ippititimus-type persona, in this case a snooty butler.

Unmade Carry Ons

What a Carry On, (1961)

The next film after Carry on Regardless, What a Carry On,  was to have been set around an amateur dramatics group putting on a production of Romeo and Juliet but Hudis couldn't work it into a full feature script and it was incorporated into Teacher.

Carry On Smoking (1961)

Conflicting reports state that the script for this film would have been written by Michael Pertwee or Norman Hudis (Hudis sounds more likely), had it gone ahead. Carry On Flying (1962)
Scripted by Norman Hudis, this story revolved around a group of RAF recruits. It got as far as pre-production, but was abandoned. This is probably what inspired the making of the failed Carry On England, which had a similar plot.

Carry On Spaceman (1962)
Scripted by Norman Hudis, and was to satirize interests in the space race from the Western world's point of view. The cast was to consist of three would-be astronauts who constantly bungled on their training and their mission. The film was to be shot in black and white.
Originally supposed to be released shortly after Carry On Regardless, in 1961. Attempts to revive Carry On Spaceman in 1962 under Denis Gifford, again by Hudis, failed again, and the project was subsequently abandoned.

Carry On Escaping (1960s or 1970s)
During the Second World War, Talbot Rothwell and Peter Butterworth spent time interned in the same prisoner of war camp. Carry On Escaping was inspired by their experiences there and progressed as far in pre-production as a near-final script.

Carry On Again Nurse (1979)

Carry On Dallas (aka Carry On Texas) (1987)
A planned spoof of the then popular US soap Dallas. A full script was written and casting offers made — including Kenneth Williams, Kenneth Connor, Jack Douglas, Suzanne Danielle, Joan Sims, Charlie Hawtrey (in a guest role) and Jim Dale. The script centred around the Ramming family (and not Screwing, which was dropped in an early draft as this could have endangered the A certificate). When the 'Who Shot JR' storyline occurred, Dallas became the most watched TV programme in the world at that time. Lorimar then wanted a royalty about 20 times the size of the total budget to use the programme as a base, so the production dried up.

Carry On Down Under (1988)
The scripts for Carry On Dallas and Carry On Down Under were identical.

Carry On Again Nurse (1988)

Revival
During the 1980s the Carry On films were viewed by many as representing the worst side of British attitudes to women and to sex. However, they were still very popular and were regularly broadcast on television.

In 1992, an attempt was made to revive the series with Carry On Columbus, co-inciding with the production of two serious movies on the subject and the 500th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' first landing in the Americas. . . . . but it did not achieve any great commercial success and was panned by some critics.

Of all the original Carry On stars, only Jim Dale (playing the title role) and Jack Douglas appeared in the film – many of the others had died. Barbara Windsor, however, refused to appear after reading the script. A handful of other actors who had played a few roles in the original films, such as Peter Gilmore, Bernard Cribbins, Jon Pertwee, June Whitfield, and Leslie Phillips also appeared. Frankie Howerd had originally agreed to appear, but he died before filming, and the role was adapted to be played by Julian Clary.

The script, by Dave Freeman, was more polished than those he wrote for the Carry On films during the 1970s, including comment on colonialism as well as the obligatory innuendo and slapstick.

Recent activity
A new film, Carry On London, was announced in 2003, but was still in pre-production as of February 2006. However, Peter Rogers assured readers of The Sun newspaper (which was running a Carry On film promotion at the time) that the film would be released within the next year. In May 2006, it was announced Vinnie Jones and Shane Richie are to star in the film, which was to be directed by Peter Richardson, though Ed Bye has since been attached to the project as director.[2] In May 2007, this project was announced to be 'back on' with a release date of 2008.[3]

I loved them! Very funny "stiff" people! grin grin grin grin
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by SeanT21(f): 4:49pm On Apr 05, 2008
White Chicks, Why did i get married and NORBIT!!
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by mystikal(m): 9:52pm On Apr 05, 2008
Deuce Bigalow 2
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by Keziah(f): 12:04pm On Apr 06, 2008
@justkunmi
Back in the days, Rat Race-that was really crazy. My aunt laughed so hard tears were runing from her eyes. And i remember the dude that saliva was drolling from his mouth while laughing.

I think Rat Race is the funniest and craziest comedy movie i have ever seen.
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by Keziah(f): 12:17pm On Apr 06, 2008
and more

Gods must be crazy

Baby's day out
Mr. Bones
Sweet Money (really hilarious) you have got to watch it. Couldn't stop laughing.
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by doracle4(m): 8:22am On Apr 07, 2008
almondjoy:

I am happy someone already answered you. . .yes I do have a life and watching movies happens to be a very major part of it. Thank you! kiss

Accept my apologies. I think it was harsh of me to criticise u like that. I didnt mean to question the way u live your life.
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by Neoteny(m): 6:05pm On Apr 07, 2008
d_oracle:

Accept my apologies. I think it was harsh of me to criticise u like that. I didnt mean to question the way u live your life.

er, dont you owe me an apology too? for threating to use your powers of warping space-time continuum, bending gravity, twisting the law of physics and metaphysics and turning reality on its head to jump into your computer monitor matrix-like and appear in mine just to give me a slap?
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by doracle4(m): 7:52am On Apr 08, 2008
Neoteny:

er, don't you owe me an apology too? for threating to use your powers of warping space-time continuum, bending gravity, twisting the law of physics and metaphysics and turning reality on its head to jump into your computer monitor matrix-like and appear in mine just to give me a slap?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by ENASKI(m): 1:15pm On Oct 30, 2008
KUNG-FU HUSSLE
LIFE
SEVEN LUCKY KIDS
RUSH HOUR
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by maedan(f): 7:03pm On Oct 30, 2008
Definitely Mr Bones. Starsky and Hutch was really good too (Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson). Loved the dancing competition scene best.
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by JeSoul(f): 9:16pm On Oct 30, 2008
NORBIT NORBIT NORBIT!!! I'm laughing just thinking about it  grin

White Chicks - what a stupidly funny movie

Bringing Down the House - "The cool points are out the window and you got me all twisted up in the game"  grin imagine a middle age middle class white male macking on a hot young black woman  grin

Home Alone 1 & 2 - watching it a billion times but still laughing at the "M" burnt onto the guys hand cheesy
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by spikedcylinder: 6:12pm On Oct 31, 2008
Talladega Nights : The Ballad of Ricky James ( I nearly peed in my pants)

Rush Hour 3. So funny, I saw it 3 times in the opening week.

Borat

Mr Bones. First time I saw it. . . .it was hard getting out all the chuckles at the same time

I'm sure there's more. cheesy
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by MadMax1(f): 4:52pm On Nov 01, 2008
O Brother Where Art thou
Undercover Brother
Borat
Scary Movie (first instalment)
Kung Fu Hustle (One of the funniest movies on the planet. Stephen Chow is INSANE)
The Pink Panther/ A Shot in the Dark (With Peter Sellers)
Zoolander
Munna Bhai MBBS (The funniest Indian movie ever)
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by Gamine(f): 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2008
Borat? i didnt think it was that Funny.

Norbit?? oh well.

For me,

Kungfu hustle

Shaolin soccer

Ghostbusters

Zoolander

Coming to america

Theres something about mary

Scary Movie 1

See Di-Ck and Jane run

and some otherss
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 02, 2008
Bruce almighty anyone?
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by spikedcylinder: 5:16pm On Nov 02, 2008
Oh Yea, Kung Fu Hustle! grin cheesy
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by kaydee(m): 3:49am On Nov 03, 2008
Kung Fu Hustle
Shaolin Soccer
Mr Bones
Borat
Scary Movie
Soul Plane
The Waterboy
Meet The Parents

That's my list for now
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by goodguy(m): 12:02pm On Nov 04, 2008
- Meet the Fockers

- Mr. Bones

- The gods must be crazy
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by nosio(f): 2:24pm On Nov 05, 2008
mos def,the carry on series were rily hilarious,
the gods must be crazy series 2 and anything with mr beans in it
iv got so much more,
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by shotster50(m): 2:03am On Nov 18, 2008
off my head:

Superbad

Only Fools and Horses

Borat

The old Mr Bean

O Brother Where Art thou

etc.
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by sexyLeamon(f): 10:44am On Nov 21, 2008
osuofia in london
Dumb and Dumber
meet the parents
stronger than pain
hulchul
Phir Hera Pheri
Chup Chup Ke
No Entry
malamaal weekly
grin grin grin grin
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by seun001(m): 2:40pm On Nov 21, 2008
gotta be : Mr Bones
The gods must be crazy
Mr bean.
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by morpheus24: 7:51pm On Dec 01, 2009
Funniest movie

Awilo sharp sharp_nollywood
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by SisiKill1: 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2009
My Cousin Vinny. I've seen that movie over 200 times. . .Sometimes back to back to back. cheesy

The two Yots. . .Cracks me every single time. cheesy cheesy
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by SisiKill1: 9:55pm On Dec 01, 2009
My cousin Vinny. . .Seen that movie 200 times. Sometimes back to back to back. cheesy

The two YOTS. . .Cracks me up everytime. cheesy cheesy
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by THEAMAKA3(f): 6:20am On Dec 02, 2009
i watch nollywood movies, so. . .
for the funniest movie that wasnt meant to be funny goes to "Beyonce and Rihanna"

for my actual award ill go for my favorite movie for the past two years "Alice My First Lady" very comical oooo.
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by stake01: 8:03am On Dec 02, 2009
Funny People is my favorite funny movie.
Re: Funniest Movie You Have Seen by olu4life(m): 3:28am On Jan 04, 2010
Am surprisd no one mentiond ICE AGE 3. dat film is so hilarious (its a must u watch it).
Mr bean
Mr bones
d gods must b crazy
Kungfu hustle
White chicks
Little man
Dats al i can rememba 4 now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? / Football On Gotv??? / Captain America, Now Captain Nigeria [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.