Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? (12272 Views)

Aregbesola Admits Increasing Airport Contract By N7bn / Natural Method Of Reducing Body Fats / Lagos To Support Increasing Population With Fibre-Optic Cables. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Mogidi: 9:25pm On Mar 31, 2013
blink182: @OP, I really wonder why you think the name 'sincere Nigerian' fits. You are very dishonest person and I believe you are being paid to carry out this propaganda. I can't even bother to waste my time to prove anything to you.

My friend make your point and stop rigmarolling the thread. What if I accuse you of being a Tinubu propagandist does that validate my belief? Make your point or hug a transformer.

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by okemmadu(m): 9:27pm On Mar 31, 2013
I even forgot our law makers. Tho they make good laws. but the,ve made themselves the citadel of corruption in nigeria. and nobody has the power to do anything about it, not even Mr President.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Mogidi: 9:37pm On Mar 31, 2013
okemmadu: I even forgot our law makers. Tho they make good laws. but the,ve made themselves the citadel of corruption in nigeria. and nobody has the power to do anything about it, not even Mr President.

What do you expect Mr president to do? Corruption can't be a one man crusade and we the citizens don't help matters by engaging in this corruption that we hate so much. Next time a policeman stops you refuse to bribe him and you would be doing your bit to move the country away from corruption. We all have a stake in this country and not just the govt alone.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Policewoman(f): 9:39pm On Mar 31, 2013
I think the OP is being too generous. Corruption is hydra headed and i feel it is on a serious increase in this regime. For instance, under this regime EFCC has suffered stroke and is no longer active, unlike in the OBJ days.

2 Likes

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by kazy2013: 9:39pm On Mar 31, 2013
40 laptop, ask my oga at the top. Shikina.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by TriggerHappy: 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2013
ninja4life: It is really difficult to determine like me now i do not even know d name of d local government chairman in my area talkless of assessing deir works for all i care d LG does not exist dat means all d money from abuja each month is squandered by some pot belly people while on d state government most of dem are not transparent is it people who are on d street hustling will have time to exercise d FOI to get information while we only focus on d lagos state government most nairalanders do not know wat deir state governors are doin but can state d lagos budget off-hand wtf also at d federal government level d anti-graft agency are not independent deir fate rest on d presidency so if dey are not really doin deir job i tink its d presidency fault who claim to be fighting corruption but cannot prosecute oil subsidy thieves and implement ribadu's report also d numerous indicted officials in d presidency is another thing now back to d citizen mediocrity is d order of d day deir is no room 4 merit in d civil service and huge corruption in d private sector wat abt d educational sector where some lecturers make undesrerved money from d student for dem to pass wat abt unemployed graduate engaging in cyber crimes,kidnaping,armed robbery,etc wat abt people avoiding tax wat abt state and federal house of assembly making laws for deir own gain e.gDavid mark suppressing bill dat seeks to pay unemployed graduate wat abt religious leaders buying private jet while some church members are homeless while some are brainwashing deir followers into taking arms wat abt d judiciary givin a 23billion thief a fine of 750000naira fine, if i hav all time i can go on and on so d bottom line is nigeria's system is rotten and crippled by corruption and mediocrity aided by ethnic and religious warfare dis can only be solved by our collective effort and not by a messiah dats my advice to nigerians and not to keep waiting on God to come down and help us as we so believe.
Didn't u do summary at school?
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by seyibrown(f): 9:43pm On Mar 31, 2013
Corruption continues to increase as the government is doing nothing (nothing effective) to curb corruption. It is not difficult to mandate that all monies/fines/fees due to the government always be paid at a bank - no cash should be accepted - and that all fees due should be displayed at all relevant offices. Information should also be made available to the public as to what amounts are due. An easily accessible avenue to report bribes paid should be created and action should be taken to investigate corrupt officers. This will be a start.

Government should also ensure that government employees get a living wage, not a minimum wage that is spent on transport to work.

There is so much that the government can (afford to) do to curb corruption and improve living standards for the ordinary man on the street but those in government are unfortunately just not interested.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Mar 31, 2013
Separation of Powers is a not just a democratic ideal, but the pillar of stability in any system of governance. Nairanders need to be educated on the Principles of Separation of Powers.
The Legislative, The Executive and Judiciary are different arms that are saddled with respective responsibilities.
Let me pause the lectures and go straight to the point:
I am ashamed of our Judiciary, even though the EFCC, ICPC, The Police have been doing their better, the Judiciary keep pushing us backwards by receiving offers they can not refuse and put this country to Gear L or 1, sometimes on N. We can not keep blaming the Executives and Legislators when the major culprits are the Judiciary.

The Yaradua and GEJ Administrations have emphasized and piloted on the concept of Separation of powers but some people somewhere in court houses are simply not doing their jobs. On the Whole, Corporate Corruption has reduced with the subsidy sunshine, and Fertilizer cabal destruction. How can I forget the exposure of pension scams?

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by okemmadu(m): 9:49pm On Mar 31, 2013
Mogidi:

What do you expect Mr president to do? Corruption can't be a one man crusade and we the citizens don't help matters by engaging in this corruption that we hate so much. Next time a policeman stops you refuse to bribe him and you would be doing your bit to move the country away from corruption. We all have a stake in this country and not just the govt alone.
maybe if he can lead by example smiley hw many millions billions did he budget for feeding. so why wont the law makers take their own share? and if the lawmakers take their share u dont want policemen and local government workers to have their share?

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Mogidi: 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2013
okemmadu:
maybe if he can lead by example smiley hw many millions billions did he budget for feeding. so why wont the law makers take their own share? and if the lawmakers take their share u dont want policemen and local government workers to have their share?

Corruption didn't start with this administration. Why not just agree we all need to do our bit to stop corruption?

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 31, 2013
Sincere 9gerian you did not analyze the cost of corruption from the subsidy sector, especially fuel subsidy. I think it's highly significant as far as corruption is concerned in Nigeria.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by roxell120(m): 9:55pm On Mar 31, 2013
in two words, highest crescendo
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by roxell120(m): 10:00pm On Mar 31, 2013
seyibrown: Corruption continues to increase as the government is doing nothing (nothing effective) to curb corruption. It is not difficult to mandate that all monies/fines/fees due to the government always be paid at a bank - no cash should be accepted - and that all fees due should be displayed at all relevant offices. Information should also be made available to the public as to what amounts are due. An easily accessible avenue to report bribes paid should be created and action should be taken to investigate corrupt officers. This will be a start.

Government should also ensure that government employees get a living wage, not a minimum wage that is spent on transport to work.

There is so much that the government can (afford to) do to curb corruption and improve living standards for the ordinary man on the street but those in government are unfortunately just not interested.

after all judges will frustrate the whole effort. corruption is pervasive .lips sealed .no hope
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by ozodimgba(m): 10:00pm On Mar 31, 2013
Dis one be like say na JJC for 9ja. Corruption in Nigeria is an epidemic, it is not increasing cos it is not tempreture. Infact corruption in Nigeria is multiplying recurrently. If u dont know, 75% news comming from Nigeria is either criminal or corruption cases.

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by TippyTop(m): 10:02pm On Mar 31, 2013
Corruption has reduced drastically under GEJ, sorry to say this to doubters but its no longer business as usual. There are countless examples to show that its on the wane but am not going to name them. It will only make the lazy nairaland user not to do their own research All in all great job GEJ.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by okemmadu(m): 10:05pm On Mar 31, 2013
Mogidi:

Corruption didn't start with this administration. Why not just agree we all need to do our bit to stop corruption?
You are right. We the citizens need to do our part. but who will lead? d cost of leading the fight against corruption in nigeria is very expensive. what happens if u as a police officer arrests a criminal, only to find out later that ur boss collected bribe to set him free. and if u make any noise, u risk losing ur job or even ur life.

2 Likes

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by GalaxyNoteII: 10:06pm On Mar 31, 2013
"Is it reducing.............?"

Lol
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by kiyosaki1(m): 10:08pm On Mar 31, 2013
Epitome of corruption
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by iota: 10:12pm On Mar 31, 2013
the worst is the one collected by teachers,tutors,lecturers to enthone mediocare and kill competence/hardwork, judges to murder justice. The only solution is to strethen the judiciary to be able to bring anybody to justice. Corruption is in every country but the ability to deal with those caught is lacking in nigeria. That is the only it could be reduced. Right now is increasin
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by jakedes(m): 10:12pm On Mar 31, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Learn to speak for yourself

What he said is the simple fact...what's your intention raising this topic?...
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by akwaowoudo(m): 10:13pm On Mar 31, 2013
malc619: It's either the OP wishes for Jonathan to be insulted or he wishes to insult sensible Nigerians....
You are on the right path _not far from the truth.
malc619: It's either the OP wishes for Jonathan to be insulted or he wishes to insult sensible Nigerians....
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by jude33084(m): 10:14pm On Mar 31, 2013
Teacher: I will be teaching tense in English today So let us start by take one exampl wink,.....

Pupils: ok sir,...

Teacher: "Nigeria will be a ƒя̩eǝ country one day"

Who can tell us what tense is that? cool

JohnBull: future imposible tense sir tongue
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Ashmark(m): 10:15pm On Mar 31, 2013
Am seriously perplex that someone in this country can standup and write this trash saying that corruption as reduced.Did you not see everything around you?...No light,bad road,bad education system,bad leaders.Name it al..www.ashmarkexclusive..com
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Mar 31, 2013
I dont think it is right for some persons to post whatever comment they like or arrive at their conclusions based on emotions or to get back at the president or myself. This thread is not about anyone but about Nigeria.

We shouldn't forget in hurry that in this same country, in the late 80s and early 90s, a certain IBB allegedly stole $12billion dollars and NOTHING happened. Not even a public outcry because even the public was in the dark.

In this same country, Abacha stole billions of dollars unscathed. Not until he died, Nigerians were in the dark as to how corrupt Abacha and his govt was. If the heads of those govt were stealing in billions of dollars, how much were their foot solders nationwide stealing? NOBODY knows till date.

I have not said corruption has been eradicated in Nigeria but I only submitted that it has reduced. I tried to do my analysis as OBJECTIVELY as possible. Those who have superior analysis to show increasing corruption should bring it on.

Conclusions largely based on SENTIMENTS and EMOTIONS are unacceptable.

2 Likes

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by okemmadu(m): 10:22pm On Mar 31, 2013
Mogidi:

and by the way, u dont expect a hungry, dying man to listen to ur anti-corruption sermon. if he sees an opportunity to steal and go free, he will. Countries with less corruption have a government that provides the basics for their citizens. check it out. it still starts with the leadership.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by MrFlenjo: 10:24pm On Mar 31, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: What can you say about corruption in Nigeria today? Is it reducing or increasing?

The truth about assessing corruption is that it is very SUBJECTIVE, unlike roads, stable power, railways,etc that can be SEEN and TOUCHED. Going by accounts in the media, one would think corruption is increasing. Unfortunately, the media is still reinforcing the age-long PERCEPTION of high level of corruption in the country.

But what are the sources/avenues of corruption in Nigeria?

In my opinion, the MAJOR sources/avenue of corruption in Nigeria, based on the structure of the budget, include:

* from the capital side
1 over-inflated contracts
2 poorly executed or abandoned projects

* from the recurrent expenditure side
1 ghost workers/pensioners
2 security votes
3 ambiguous budget sub-heads

There are other avenues(eg subsidies like fuel subsidy, fertilizer subsidy) but these are the ones that readily comes to mind.

Since we know the MAJOR avenues/sources for corruption we can attempt a slightly more OBJECTIVE assessment of whether corruption is increasing or decreasing in Nigeria by working from the KNOWN to the UNKNOWN

First lets assess if the level of over-inflated contracts is increasing or decreasing. If its increasing, it implies corruption is increasing and if its decreasing, it implies corruption is decreasing. In the last 2yrs, it is difficult not to have noticed the practice at the federal level of publishing the contract sums, name of contractor, location of project, project specification,etc of every project awarded for ALL to see and take notice, and complain of over-inflated contract where such is suspected. In the absence of such complaints from any quarter, it is safe to assume most of the projects awarded in the last 2yrs or so were REASONABLY costed. If that is the case, it is an INDICATOR of reducing corruption. Now the challenge is for such practice to trickle down to the states and local govt level.
http://peoplesdailyng.com/fec-approves-n47-8bn-for-13-road-contracts/
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/fed-govt-awards-n28b-contracts/

Next, lets assess the level of project execution in terms of quality and completion in the last few years. If the FG and states are churning out COMPLETED physical projects, of expected quality, it means the funds are indeed WORKING and not entrying private pockets. If the level is increasing, it implies corruption is reducing but if its decreasing (ie more projects are being abandoned or more projects are being poorly executed) it implies corruption is increasing.

For instance, if N20billion was budgeted to complete the Lagos-kano rail line, and when we SEE the Lagos-kano rail line has been completed, it means the N20billion did its WORK, and did not enter private pocket. Again, If N500million was meant to rehabilitate Enugu-Ph road, and we can SEE the work being done and later completed, it means the N500million did its WORK, and did not go into private pocket.

The massive, good QUALITY, projects being completed by federal and state govts nationwide is the MOST IMPORTANT testimony to REDUCTION in corruption in Nigeria.

On the recurrent side of the state and federal budgets, the menace of ghost workers is being tackled frontally. The federal govt for instance, through reforms in the civil service, have so far flushed out a total of 45,000 ghost workers who earned over N100billion had been uncovered from about 251 ministries, directorates and agencies. This singular reform has saved this country about N100billion (more than the annual budget of some states)
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-830385-1-1.html

Several states have also flushed out thousands of ghost workers in their payroll.

Sadly, on the issue of security votes, not much progress has been made besides isolated media reports(unconfirmed) that governor Rochas Okorocha reduced his security vote by about 70%. The challenge is to pressurise more public officers to give up their bogus security votes.

From all of the above, it is safe and FAIR to conclude that corruption is reducing in Nigeria.

However, this does not mean corruption has been eradicated. There are still several loopholes at particularly the state and local govt level, not exempting the federal govt. Bogus allowances, albeit lawful, should also be drastically reduced.

Therefore, the claim that corruption is increasing in Nigeria is dubious, baseless and fallacious. Corruption can only be increasing in the imagination of some opposition elements and compromised media organisations.

Pretty Boys in costumes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJy2xeGCwkc

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by SymbolicalIdol(m): 10:27pm On Mar 31, 2013
cool There has never been a corruption free nation in history,so Nigeria is fair in the game.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by jakedes(m): 10:28pm On Mar 31, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I dont think it is right for some persons to post whatever comment they like or arrive at their conclusions based on emotions or to get back at the president or myself. This thread is not about anyone but about Nigeria.

We shouldn't forget in hurry that in this same country, in the late 80s and early 90s, a certain IBB allegedly stole $12billion dollars and NOTHING happened. Not even a public outcry because even the public was in the dark.

In this same country, Abacha stole billions of dollars unscathed. Not until he died, Nigerians were in the dark as to how corrupt Abacha and his govt was. If the heads of those govt were stealing in billions of dollars, how much were their foot solders nationwide stealing? NOBODY knows till date.

I have not said corruption has been eradicated in Nigeria but I only submitted that it has reduced. I tried to do my analysis as OBJECTIVELY as possible. Those who have superior analysis to show increasing corruption should bring it on.

Conclusions largely based on SENTIMENTS and EMOTIONS are unacceptable.

No body is drawing conclusions here based on mere sentiment..what I am asking is on what analysis was this survey of yours carried out on?

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 31, 2013
Ashmark: Am seriously perplex that someone in this country can standup and write this trash saying that corruption as reduced.Did you not see everything around you?...No light,bad road,bad education system,bad leaders.Name it al..www.ashmarkexclusive..com
If you dont have light, I have light.

Furthermore, the privatisation of the power firms and other reforms in the power sector is to ensure more stability in power supply. The privatisation of the power assets is the MOST TRANSPARENT in the history of Nigeria. That also testifies to decreasing corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by maasoap(m): 10:29pm On Mar 31, 2013
I believe that @sincere nigeria's sickness is getting worse and out of hand. He needs help seriously. Before Jona, single and individuals embezzlement of money was in billions of naira but during OGA Jona's tenure, we recorded a single embezzlement of fund to the tune of 3 trillion naira in the name of petrol subsidy alone. Mr Retardeen keeps romancing and shielding corrupt people from long arm of the law. And here we're, one silly pro Jona is asking us if corruption is increasing or decreasing.

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by stinicks10: 10:31pm On Mar 31, 2013
dedons: It has drastically reduced...infact it has stopped finally...no more curruption in NIGERIA as far as i'm concernd.

No be the same NAIJA you and me dey,wey u cum dey ask dis kind question

Coagulated pap brain
Re: Corruption In Nigeria: Is It Reducing Or Increasing? by oscarlantus: 10:33pm On Mar 31, 2013
the corruption in Nigeria is increasing daily. what should we do? should we just stand and look doing nothing to stop it hmmmmmmmmmm..........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prisons Will Be Filled With Bloggers If Hate Speech Bill Is Passed – Shehu Sani / Seriake Dickson Emerges PDP Governors Forum Chairman / Onitsha Explosion: Peter Obi Donates N2m For Treatment Of Affected Victims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.