Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? (4079 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Rolly: 3:11pm On May 09, 2006
I was just wondering why is it that there are majority of women secetaries and I doubt if I have ever seen a male secretary. What's up with that? Views please!
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by layi(m): 3:16pm On May 09, 2006
women are naturally helpers grin. Anyway i have seen a male secretary somewhere in Lagos.
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Rolly: 3:18pm On May 09, 2006
natural helpers? Explain pls.
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Seun(m): 3:29pm On May 09, 2006
Women are brought up to support the ideas of the men in their lives instead of having their own ideas (that way when things go wrong they are never at fault, or else why is miriam Abacha still walking free today?)

Women who are brought up that way would naturally fit into the role of Secretary or Personal Assistant. Besides, if you are a man and you are to hire a secretary, won't you prefer to hire an attractive lady?
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Rolly: 3:32pm On May 09, 2006
so are u saying that men cannot support other men's ideas and there is no man brought up that way?
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by IAH(f): 8:49pm On May 09, 2006
Natural helpers my foot! angry Gbansense! Infact I'm going to employ more male staff in my establishment so that I can kick their asses. just kidding, lol grin grin
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by JOSY: 2:45am On May 10, 2006
:DAre we all Nigerians on nairaland?
I'm a Secretary and badly need a job. I have an upper credit ie 2.1 in sec admin and have my nysc cert. a membr of nim,, please it's boring without a job. need to start working pls help out! I can work with any good oranisation. mgt trainee, p.a, secretary, admin officer, admin exec. name it. I have experience in administrative work and customer service. I also have a 2-yr experience wt a bank. help out! sad
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Rolly: 3:20pm On May 10, 2006
hi, josy. i wish u all the best in ur job hunting

and no, we are not all nigerians on NL
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by kimba(m): 2:32pm On May 11, 2006
@Rolly

Seun said
Besides, if you are a man and you are to hire a secretary, won't you prefer to hire an attractive lady?
ive actually seen a lady manager that had a male secretary. grin grin
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Rolly: 2:35pm On May 11, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by twinstaiye(m): 3:17pm On May 11, 2006
I am a Secretary and I had been doing it for over 15 years now. The Boss expects so much from you, but they believe the profession belongs to the drop-outs. I am one of those you called Top-Flight Secretaries, that is Secretary with a class. And I do have and know about 10 more of my mates who are also male secretaries. If you ask me if I have regrets? Nope.
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by elphem(m): 5:00pm On May 11, 2006
It's not that easy for me to have a male secretary because there are many things they may not do for you. Like sending on errand and making TEA.
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by diyobdw(f): 7:37am On May 17, 2006
elphem:

It's not that easy for me to have a male secretary because there are many things they may not do for you. Like sending on errand and making TEA.
U make me laugh. are u saying men can't make Tea?

Seun:

Women are brought up to support the ideas of the men in their lives instead of having their own ideas

I don't think so. i feel thats to general.Alot of women in our environ is more like it.
I would prefer not be a secretary to a guy. It takes skills of a supporter to be good on the job. some people are wonderful at been a second brian to others cheesy

To the topic:
1. Women are more appealing. cheesy that gives the business a welcoming front person cool
2. People relate better with women when it come to business issues. they feel they can win undecided
3. it has some of the "like pole repel thingy".(his a man need a woman to see things differently)
4. and yeah some bad boss need a mistress to toy with undecided tongue

This is not to say it has to be female, Afterall some men will do with well even with a male boss.(think'g striaght wink )

Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Bisiriyu: 10:01am On May 18, 2006
There are several male secretaries and they do their work very well if not better than the female secretaries.
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by elphem(m): 12:27pm On May 18, 2006
I had hardly seen one male secretary,and in thier existence its one out of 100.
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Hotstepper(f): 12:19am On May 20, 2006
i think itz a social construct, damn, can't imagine seeing a man in da position esp. with da voice etc, I called this fov't office at Abuja and a man piked up and it was a messss.no manners of any kind but not 2 say that women can't do da same but da job suits women beta cry
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Seun(m): 9:06pm On May 20, 2006
Are you saying that men can't have good telephone manners? Or that women can't lead?
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Hotstepper(f): 11:35pm On May 20, 2006
am not saying so, read my post well b4 writing
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Seun(m): 12:24am On May 21, 2006
It suits women better. Sorry. Are you saying leadership suits men more than women?
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by DaHitler(m): 3:59pm On May 21, 2006
There are plenty of male secretaries, but the media has created the impression that only women are secretaries. It is similar to how women are always portrayed to be nurses, when there are also large number of male nurses.
Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by Oracle(m): 11:24pm On May 21, 2006
i guess women fit in more than men in such posts

Re: Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? by elphem(m): 11:50am On May 22, 2006
You are right ORACLE

(1) (Reply)

What Is It Like Been A Graduate In Biochemistry In Nigeria / Invalid Job Applications / NUPENG Suspends Strike, Work Resumes At Total Blending plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.