Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:06 AM

Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 (8885 Views)

Pimping My 2007 Camry SE! / I Need Advice On A 2007 Camry With Hybrid / Cost Of Engine & Gearbox For A 2007 Toyota Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 9:33am On Apr 02, 2013
was driving along Aba Road in Port harcourt, from GRA towards Azikiwe Road around 21:35...when a 2007/2008 camry V6 hurtled beside me...the dude glanced at me, i was driving a BMW 323ci...i decided to give it a try. From a stop at waterlines...i pushed the gas pedal, upshifted to 2nd after hitting 6000rpm redline and floored it in 3...the toyota came passing at about 120km/h...but the road was pretty busy so we slowed down, found a good stretch again..i downshifted to 2nd...floored it, but this thing was quick. But at a point around craft-centre, a little bend (for those who know port harcourt), the guy lost control approaching the bypass...he started fishtailing, so badly that i thought he'd just skid off the road or hit the embankment...maybe a result of torque steer, i went down the bypass through to Azikiwe Rd en route to old GRA. Coming out on a different road after driving for a while, saw this same Camry among other cars ahead of me..."okay here we go again"...i took out all three cars in the cluster and looking from my side mirror, he quickly darted out the middle and gave me a hot pusuit...i downshifted to 2 from 3, and this dude came flying past me, i was on the 3rd gear now...we slowed down, waved and he took a left turn while i continued...
Well, that was an '07/'08 3.5litre 268hp toyota camry V6 0-60= 5.8sec vs a '00 2.5litre 170hp bmw 0-60= 7.3sec ...quarter mile on the camry should be in the mid 14seconds, mine is 15.2sec
Camrys and Accord V6s are pretty fast cars...i think with a 2006 3 series 3 litre engine, it'd ve been a no-contest as i'd ve ripped him apart, an '03 330i would ve been a better match.
Question: why was he fishtailing so badly, torque steer, poor handling or what? Maybe on the highway, on a stretched thoroughfare i'd ve caught up cos my BMWs don't dissapoint in highway situations,..this is to lighten us up, welcome back to work all! You got a story to share, let's hear yours!

1 Like

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 9:49am On Apr 02, 2013
i had a similar experience in my e36 320i in the past against a 2008 camry 2.5litre, i couldn't hold forth up to 170km/h, but touching 200km/h...i left him badly beaten
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Emperoh(m): 6:05pm On Apr 02, 2013
yungboss:
Question: why was he fishtailing so badly, torque steer, poor handling or what? Maybe on the highway, on a stretched thoroughfare i'd ve caught up cos my BMWs don't dissapoint under highway situations, lol...this is to lighten us up, welcome back to work all! You got a story to share, let's hear yours!

I haven't done BMW that much, but i think i can give this a try given my experience with 3.5 liter V6 on toyota; Avalon, Camry and Sienna.
I think it's poor handling and very light body/shell. In fact, a four cylinder would have skidded off at that speed. But cos the V6 is heavier metal, it feels a little heavier. The Camry from experience, even the Avalon, are produced with light materials to reduce its weight and then conserve on fuel. So at speeds higher than 140km/h +, you have a 'flying' shell. Hence at bends, you are better off slowing down to avoid skidding off or a somersault. Now, if that was an 03-07 Honda Accord or more, be sure to see it eating the bend.

From my experience, the Honda is a lot heavier and the closest you can get to a German in terms of handling. This is why it consumes more fuel compared to the toyota. I have done 180km/h on a CR-V and a V6 Accord before. The highest i ever did on a toyota (Avalon) was 160km/h and 130km/h for the Camry. I just wasn't comfortable doing above that on a toyota since it felt a whole lot light and any little steering movement i feared, could see me in the bush grin grin

But my friend says he's done 200km/h on the 2002 Avalon but for a short stretch. (he was competing with an RRS 08 and a brand new 2012 elantra; of course he stood no chance with the RRS) grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by cecegorz(m): 7:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
yungboss: i had a similar experience in my e36 320i in the past against a 2008 camry 2.5litre, i couldn't hold forth up to 170km/h, but touching 200km/h...i left him badly beaten
200km/h on Nigerian road?
You must be the damn Speed daemon! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
cecegorz:
200km/h on Nigerian road?
You must be the damn Speed daemon! cheesy
I used to feel so too. But with my M45 Inifinti 200km/h on the interstate is becoming my bench mark. The car simply creeps up on the speedometer unobtrusively. With the glasses all wound up there is little difference in feeling between 20km/h and 200km/h.

1 Like

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 9:10pm On Apr 02, 2013
^^^infiniti M45...is it a v6 or v8 (i guess a 4.5l v8)...nice ride. Beginning to consider a 335i or a merc C350 (heard it's a whooping N5m) for my new year's gift. Despite my experience, the 323ci is definitely no slouch for real, i doubt if a 2000 camry or accord will come close...though i haven't had it on the highway yet...keep the stories coming guys...where's ikenna...i need to have a race against your new baby V6...
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 10:36pm On Apr 02, 2013
yungboss: ^^^infiniti M45...(i guess a 4.5l v8)...
Yap, you guessed right. 2006 M45 Sport 335hp 0-60 mph 5.8 Quarter mile 14.3
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 11:33pm On Apr 02, 2013
Costee:
Yap, you guessed right. 2006 M45 Sport 335hp 0-60 mph 5.8 Quarter mile 14.3
that's why i need a 335i asap...
0-60= 4.8sec, quarter mile= 13.6sec...inline 6...300bhp
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 4:52am On Apr 03, 2013
V6 Camrys and accords are deceptively quick....if only they were RWDs or rear-biased AWDs.

1 Like

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by sultaan(m): 5:38am On Apr 03, 2013
Y'all need to be careful

6 Likes

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 03, 2013
yungboss: ^^^infiniti M45...is it a v6 or v8 (i guess a 4.5l v8)...nice ride. Beginning to consider a 335i or a merc C350 (heard it's a whooping N5m) for my new year's gift. Despite my experience, the 323ci is definitely no slouch for real, i doubt if a 2000 camry or accord will come close...though i haven't had it on the highway yet...keep the stories coming guys...where's ikenna...i need to have a race against your new baby V6...

Come have a race with me . . .
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 03, 2013
I would have very little trouble seeing off any of the cars mentioned here. You can't beat a 4,2L V8 2 x DOHC 40V, twin turbo.

The result?

450hp and 580Nm torque. 0 - 60mph 4,6 secs.
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 11:54am On Apr 03, 2013
Siena: I would have very little trouble seeing off any of the cars mentioned here. You can't beat a 4,2L V8 2 x DOHC 40V, twin turbo.

The result?

450hp and 580Nm torque. 0 - 60mph 4,6 secs.
so far Siena, you 've the fastest here...i was vascillating between a clk 430 and a bmw 335i...but i think the 335 is faster...no doubt it will keep up with you V8 Audi...
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 12:43pm On Apr 03, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:

Come have a race with me . . .
what car is yours, you wouldn't beat my bmw, atleast...
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Emperoh(m): 2:09pm On Apr 03, 2013
yungboss:
so far Siena, you 've the fastest here...i was vascillating between a clk 430 and a bmw 335i...but i think the 335 is faster...no doubt it will keep up with you V8 Audi...

I doubt if you stand any chance on that bro. . . . .don't joke with Audi V8s, they are monsters.
I have had a race with an A8 with a 740i and it wasn't funny the way it kept shoeing me behind. . . . better match V8 for V8.

What's the consumption like on the 323 and 325. . . .thinking of getting either of the two or a C240 but the fuelling is giving a second thought. What's the tank capacity and what's the reach on it?
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 3:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
Emperoh:

I doubt if you stand any chance on that bro. . . . .don't joke with Audi V8s, they are monsters.
I have had a race with an A8 with a 740i and it wasn't funny the way it kept shoeing me behind. . . . better match V8 for V8.

What's the consumption like on the 323 and 325. . . .thinking of getting either of the two or a C240 but the fuelling is giving a second thought. What's the tank capacity and what's the reach on it?
Audi's A8 vs BMW's 740i...i'l check the numbers later...why go for the 323/5? The 330i is faster...if you are worried about the consumption, the difference isn't much. The 323 gets 12l/100km, the 325 should be the same...i can hold up with the V8 Audi in a 335i, trust me. Siena knows this...
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by 9icetoo(m): 4:28pm On Apr 03, 2013
Emperoh:

I haven't done BMW that much, but i think i can give this a try given my experience with 3.5 liter V6 on toyota; Avalon, Camry and Sienna.
I think it's poor handling and very light body/shell. In fact, a four cylinder would have skidded off at that speed. But cos the V6 is heavier metal, it feels a little heavier. The Camry from experience, even the Avalon, are produced with light materials to reduce its weight and then conserve on fuel. So at speeds higher than 140km/h +, you have a 'flying' shell. Hence at bends, you are better off slowing down to avoid skidding off or a somersault. Now, if that was an 03-07 Honda Accord or more, be sure to see it eating the bend.

From my experience, the Honda is a lot heavier and the closest you can get to a German in terms of handling. This is why it consumes more fuel compared to the toyota. I have done 180km/h on a CR-V and a V6 Accord before. The highest i ever did on a toyota (Avalon) was 160km/h and 130km/h for the Camry. I just wasn't comfortable doing above that on a toyota since it felt a whole lot light and any little steering movement i feared, could see me in the bush grin grin

But my friend says he's done 200km/h on the 2002 Avalon but for a short stretch. (he was competing with an RRS 08 and a brand new 2012 elantra; of course he stood no chance with the RRS) grin grin grin grin
formula 1 cars get up to 360km/hr and take bends at speeds of up to 150km/hr. They are three times lighter than the camry and yet never fly off at the bends. How u take a bend depends a lot on ur anticipation, your driving skill (accelerating into/out of a turn; braking into/in a turn), tyres, road conditions (gravel road or tarred road) and lastly guts (lots of it). Some drivers can takes risks with a fiat you wouldn't dare take with a merc.
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Emperoh(m): 4:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
9icetoo:
formula 1 cars get up to 360km/hr and take bends at speeds of up to 150km/hr. They are three times lighter than the camry and yet never fly off at the bends. How u take a bend depends a lot on ur anticipation, your driving skill (accelerating into/out of a turn; braking into/in a turn), tyres, road conditions (gravel road or tarred road) and lastly guts (lots of it). Some drivers can takes risks with a fiat you wouldn't dare take with a merc.

You got me laughing there dude!! grin grin grin grin grin

But on the above, formula one cars have broader tires and close affinity to the ground than these family sedans.
A whole lot more nimble and also swift. You can't compare that with a 5 passenger sedan with lots of inhibition and restraint. I nearly ended in a bush at a speed of 140km/h with a 2006 Camry. . . wasn't funny oo

1 Like

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Emperoh(m): 5:06pm On Apr 03, 2013
yungboss:
why go for the 323/5? The 330i is faster...if you are worried about the consumption, the difference isn't much. The 323 gets 12l/100km, the 325 should be the same...i can hold up with the V8 Audi in a 335i, trust me. Siena knows this...

Now that's my main worry. I do love the performance but i am conscious of fuel.
In fact, my initial idea was to do a 2007 Accord; the beauty and engine sound as well as handling was just irristible,
How good is the E46 sound system compared to the Accord?

How poor is the 318i E46?
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 03, 2013
yungboss:

The RS6 is faster than the 335i. There have been drag races amongst the boys here, and there's no doubting the RS6's supremacy. One of my buddy's got a 2003 RS6 and a 2012 M3, and even he admits the RS6 has the edge, brutal in it's acceleration.

I've come up against a 2011 M3, and the driver lost. He got mad, and to make up, began weaving in and out of traffic. I just let him go then - I'd already proven my point.

1 Like

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 03, 2013
Emperoh:

You got me laughing there dude!! grin grin grin grin grin

But on the above, formula one cars have broader tires and close affinity to the ground than these family sedans.
A whole lot more nimble and also swift. You can't compare that with a 5 passenger sedan with lots of inhibition and restraint. I nearly ended in a bush at a speed of 140km/h with a 2006 Camry. . . wasn't funny oo

Okay, let's leave FI cars out. A Lotus Elise 340R weighs about 715kgs, and still sticks to the road like glue. It's not weight that keeps an automobile on the ground, it's the way the suspension's designed, the track as well as aerodynamics and downforce.

Big trucks weighing in excess of 17 tonnes still roll over, so the weight analogy goes out the window.

4 Likes

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 6:37pm On Apr 03, 2013
yungboss:
Audi's A8 vs BMW's 740i...

Again, the Audi A8 4,2 V8 is quicker than the BMW 740i V8. Similar dimensions, yet the Audi is much lighter, thanks to it's aluminium spaceframe construction.
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by xerotop(m): 7:01pm On Apr 03, 2013
yungboss:
Audi's A8 vs BMW's 740i...i'l check the numbers later...why go for the 323/5? The 330i is faster...if you are worried about the consumption, the difference isn't much. The 323 gets 12l/100km, the 325 should be the same...i can hold up with the V8 Audi in a 335i, trust me. Siena knows this...

the bmw 335i is fast, but i dont think it can put up with the audi a8.
u r talking abt a 4.2 ltr v8 twin turbo against a 3.0 ltr I6 twin turbo.
u dont stand a chance mr youngboss.
i once had a race with a friend from bauchi to jos with my e46 '01' 328i and his '05 accord EOD v6. the accord flawed my e46 on a staight line, but for the bends on jos road frm bauchi, he couldnt cope.
bmws r made for the curves, and dats y i wont drive anything else.
my friend wld av been late if he had not accepted his fate.

but i tell u those japs r fast especially the v6, germans all d way
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Emperoh(m): 7:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
Siena:

Okay, let's leave FI cars out. A Lotus Elise 340R weighs about 715kgs, and still sticks to the road like glue. It's not weight that keeps an automobile on the ground, it's the way the suspension's designed, the track as well as aerodynamics and downforce.

Big trucks weighing in excess of 17 tonnes still roll over, so the weight analogy goes out the window.

Cool, i accept. But why is it the Japs don't do well at curves COMPARED TO GERMAN MACHINES?

The, gimme you idea on this even though you are die hard Audi fan.
At a much younger age, say 06-08 era, i was dead in love with the Audi A4 1.8 liter engine turbo-charged.
But my coming in contact with BMW changed my love. . . grin grin

Now, this thread made me go thru some Audi pics i reserved. I intend a german ride soon.
So between an Audi A4 1.8 liter engine turbo-charged and a 318i both of 2003 - 2005, which would you advice for a rookie like me grin grin and then which can tolerate abuse more?
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 7:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
yungboss:
what car is yours, you wouldn't beat my bmw, atleast...

I don't push a wow car. I posted the specs sometimes ago (as below);
but one thing I know for sure; you'd never see my brake lights . . .

Make: NISSAN
Model: ALTIMA
Model year: 2003.
Engine size: 2,5 S
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by xerotop(m): 8:27pm On Apr 03, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:

. Wake up frm ur drms mr. Even a nissan 350z will be in 4 a real showdown. Ur 4 cylinder altima against an e46 bmw i6. Ur altima is not even turbo charged. There is an addage in ma place that whoever has not been to some else's fathers farm will say his own fathers farm is d biggest. Fact dat dats d fastest car u av had does not make it d fastest car on land. Next time don't dare a BMW. Word of advise

2 Likes

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
^^ I don't believe in dreams. Truly, some cars are faster than the others; but when it comes to drag races,
70% of who comes off victorious depends on your driving skills. I know what I am saying
because I have been in numerous "near death" experiences while drag-racing . . .
I cant' recall how many BMW and 6-cylinder engines I have dusted off triple-lane expressways
Still don't believe me ? Let's do a drag race then

2 Likes

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 8:59pm On Apr 03, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:

one of my first real races in my '93 320i was against this very spec Altima you posted vs a 2002 Toyota Avalon. The Nissan couldn't really put up once i was ahead...i headed for the Avalon which kept increasing the lead until i hit about 170km/h...at 190km/h i had already passed it...it was good the road was so long to really test the limits...on a short road it would have been a defeat just like against the camry v6 i recently encountered.
So bro...the e46 323ci 2.5litre will leave the Altima in its dust...
Siena and co, the official 1/4 time for the 335i is 13.6sec. I guess the v8 Audi will not be a second quicker, maybe on a par or a couple of tenths..if not slower! The 335i is faster than the e46 M3...someone should post the official stats of the v8 Audi...V8 isn't equal to 'faster' against the I-6...

1 Like

Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 9:00pm On Apr 03, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:

one of my first real races in my '93 320i was against this very spec Altima you posted vs a 2002 Toyota Avalon. The Nissan couldn't really put up once i was ahead...i headed for the Avalon which kept lengthning the gap until we reached 170km/h...at 190km/h i had lost it...it was good the road was so looonng to really test the limits...on a short road it'd been a defeat just like against the camry v6 i recently encountered.
So bro...the e46 323ci 2.5litre will leave the Altima in its dust...
Siena and co, the office 1/4 time for the 335i is 13.6sec. I guess the v8 Audi will not be a second quicker...if not slower! The 335i is faster than the e46 M3...someone should post the official stats of the v8 Audi...V8 isn't equal to 'faster' against the I-6...
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 03, 2013
^^ Not really ! Just last week, I was cruising lightly at just 100kph on Lagos' 3rd Mainland bridge.
And this 02 Honda Accord (Babyboy)with a V6 engine came from nowhere and zoomed past.
He flashed his hazard which got me pissed off, and i floored the pedal. There's a speed limiter on my car
As long as I'm in D, i don't go beyond 120kph . . So i downshifted from D --> 3 ---> 2
And the tachometer was playing in the red zone already. You know how d story ends.
I want a practical session though.
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by yungboss(m): 9:16pm On Apr 03, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:
^^ Not really ! Just last week, I was cruising lightly at just 100kph on Lagos' 3rd Mainland bridge.
And this 02 Honda Accord (Babyboy)with a V6 engine came from nowhere and zoomed past.
He flashed his hazard which got me pissed off, and i floored the pedal. There's a speed limiter on my car
As long as I'm in D, i don't go beyond 120kph . . So i downshifted from D --> 3 ---> 2
And the tachometer was playing in the red zone already. You know how d story ends.
I want a practical session though.
that v6 accord should take out your altima...
I just checked up the numbers of the 2.5litre altima, it states 8.6s from naught to 60mph...i have self-tested my 323...i do naught to 100km/h in around 7.5s to 7.6s...100km/h=62mph, so its my guess that to 60mph, it'l do it in 7.3s. My car is caliberated in km/h. I used a stopwatch with the assistance of a passenger...
Re: Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6 by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 03, 2013
^^ And that's the mistake most people make with drag races . . .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Restore A Flooded Car's Engine. / Honda Accord 2004 Power Steering Pump / Which Is Safer? Changing Two Front Tyres Whic Are Smaller? Or All Four Tyres?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.