Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,033 members, 7,835,498 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others (40134 Views)

FG Scraps Fuel Subsidy, To Reduce Cost Of Petrol From January 1 - / Tribunal Cancels The Election Of Nyesome Wike, INEC To Conduct Fresh Election / FG Scraps UTME,NECO,NAPEP Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Bontee: 12:50pm On Apr 03, 2013
Please to everyone mentioning merit admission as one of the benefit of this new policy then i have some questions to ask.

1) What happens to admission based on catchment areas and different cut off points in place right now?.

2) What about these so called educationally less developed states and the need to reserve a certain quota for students from these states?.

3) What about schools cooperating to conduct exams that is valid in all of these schools ?.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by IbnTimothy: 12:50pm On Apr 03, 2013
rodeo0070: Fg Set To Scrap Neco, Napep, Cancels Utme, Among Others

Federal Government has concluded arrangements to scrap the National Examination Council.

Plans have also been concluded to cancel the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination being conducted by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board for applicants into the nation’s tertiary institutions.

JAMB will however not be scrapped.

The government’s decisions, which would be made public soon via a White Paper, are based on the recommendations of the Stephen Oronsaye-led Presidential Committee on the Rationalisation and Restructuring of Federal Government Parastatals, Commissions and Agencies.

A government source told our correspondent that the decisions were part of the recommendations made by a White Paper Committee set up by the government on the Oronsaye report.

The source added that upon receipt of the latest report, President Goodluck Jonathan has been meeting with Vice-President Namadi Sambo and a few top government officials to take final decisions on it.

It was in one of such meetings held on Tuesday that the final decision was taken.

Under the new arrangement, the source said in place of UTME, authorities of all tertiary institutions would now be at liberty to conduct their entrance examinations as they had been doing for post-UTME.

JAMB will however serve as a clearing house.

“JAMB will now be a clearing house like Universities and Colleges Admissions Service in the UK. If somebody gains admission into three universities and holds down space, immediately such person picks his first choice, JAMB’s system will automatically free the remaining two slots for other applicants.

“JAMB will no longer conduct examinations but it will be setting the standard alongside the schools authorities,” the source said.

UCAS, which was established in 1993, is the British admission service for students applying to university and college, including post-16 education as of 2012. UCAS is primarily funded by students who pay a fee when they apply and a capitation fee from universities for each student they accept.

On NECO, the source said in arriving at the decision to scrap the examination body, the committee took into cognizance its huge facilities across the country.

But it was resolved that the West African Examination Council would absorb NECO’s members of staff and its facilities.

WAEC will also be empowered to conduct two Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations per year, one in January and the other probably in December.

Hitherto, only one November/December SSCE Examination is being conducted.

The May/June Senior Secondary Certificate Examination being organised by the examination body once in a year still stands.

The government source also said arrangements had been concluded to scrap the Public Complaint Commission, the National Poverty Eradication Programme and the Institute of Peace and Conflict Resolution among others.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-set-to-scrap-neco-cancels-utme/

VERY GOOD MOVE,
All those NECO,NAPEP,etc are mistakes of the obasanjo administration

Good moves
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by chubysoft1(m): 12:55pm On Apr 03, 2013
goldfish80: This effectively makes Neco certificate worthless. I pity Neco cert holders

Scrapping Utme is long overdue,Universities should conduct their various intake exams. Its simply cruel to kids getting to take two major exams to gain admission into tertiary institutions(when you add wace and Neco,makes it four). Welcome development!!!

You no dey read english for daytime?
It was said that 'But it was resolved that the West African
Examination Council would absorb NECO’s
members of staff and its facilities.' WAEC has simply swallowed NECO so therefor e all NECO things will now become WAEC things.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Osama10(m): 1:05pm On Apr 03, 2013
What about NYSC now?
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Ljboy(m): 1:06pm On Apr 03, 2013
Obinnau: Am in total support of this motion.
y u no go support am? wen b say na ur 5th tym of writting waec n neco!!...Heheheh... Bros support abeg
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by a1solution: 1:12pm On Apr 03, 2013
[size=28pt]Its a bad news for we that are contractors to JAMB and NECO. the policy should be revised immediately!![/size]
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by eoboluwole: 1:12pm On Apr 03, 2013
why don't you give the NAPEP to a private body and all others goes that way Oga GEJ smiley
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nwogbe: 1:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
If no be Jona it can't be Jona. A welcome gesture i must say.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Alleinad(f): 1:16pm On Apr 03, 2013
How will this decision affect those using neco in the university??
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by benzion72(m): 1:16pm On Apr 03, 2013
I can see this coming NECO examination is not standarzised. I even learnt they don't mark examination again they only award marks based on trend. It a change which is the only constant thing in life
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by xtremeinv(m): 1:22pm On Apr 03, 2013
This good!
I lyk it.
[X-INV]
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Songitto(m): 1:24pm On Apr 03, 2013
goldfish80: This effectively makes Neco certificate worthless. I pity Neco cert holders

Scrapping Utme is long overdue,Universities should conduct their various intake exams. Its simply cruel to kids getting to take two major exams to gain admission into tertiary institutions(when you add wace and Neco,makes it four). Welcome development!!!

nice thinking
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by bealuv(f): 1:26pm On Apr 03, 2013
so my younger sister has registered for these exams and am wondering....what happens to utme and neco this year for those students who have registered or does the whole scrapping ish take effect from next year
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by kokoA(m): 1:28pm On Apr 03, 2013
modextus: Is it taking effect from this year?will dr be no jamb dis year?
If you want no go read your books? Mtcheeewww.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by kokoA(m): 1:31pm On Apr 03, 2013
Lilblack2: uhn!!!!!!Give me a cup of water,now i wan talk!! Make dem jez allow my girlfriend enta skul dis year b4 d magic take place
after when you don use ur prick delay her for 5 years abi? #GodiswatchingYou
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by goldfish80(m): 1:38pm On Apr 03, 2013
chubysoft1:

You no dey read english for daytime?
It was said that 'But it was resolved that the West African
Examination Council would absorb NECO’s
members of staff and its facilities.' WAEC has simply swallowed NECO so therefor e all NECO things will now become WAEC things.
Homie, there was no clear statement to the effect this shift in policy will have on Neco holders. This report highlighted only the absorbtion of Neco staffs. If you were intelligent enuf, you will wait for the entire blueprint to be available before making assumptions.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Joemint(m): 1:46pm On Apr 03, 2013
its a gud move 4d transformation of d federal institutions. This wl hlp to stp n drasticaly reduce d duplication of ofices in nig. Itz a welc devpmt. Tnkz 2 GEJ, I remain loyal 2his administration.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Amazonikky: 1:51pm On Apr 03, 2013
Pls i want somebody to answer this: Does it mean that Admission wil now be a little bit easier now?
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by maasoap(m): 1:55pm On Apr 03, 2013
thelastPope:
some of you keep saying highest bidders. I thought highest bidders are the ones sending their children to Covenant, Babcock, Igbinedion, Ghana and the USA. Which highest bidders are you talking about again?
The right thing is for universities to conduct their exams themselves.
Yeah! d right thing is for our Uni to conduct their exams but not wt this corruption in our universities. Just wait for 2or3 yrs, you'll hear and confirm the highest bidders we're screaming about.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by usayab(m): 1:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
9ce 1, oga presido if u do this i go support u comin 2015, though i'll never vote PDP in my life again!
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by adconline(m): 1:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
kennytidistar:

in the united state you can apply to as many schools as you want, the bottom line is that you will always gain atleast one admission it now depends on you, if you will like to attend the school or not and again if you feel the feee is much you can at your own descrition choose a low cost or less expensive school since all wont be of the same standard. It depends on your choice the bottom line is, you must gain admission.

because US has more universities and admission slots than Naija universities. How times have u seen Naija unis advertising to attract students to their schools?
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Fhemmmy: 2:05pm On Apr 03, 2013
Good move, but they better be really ready to have a smart system in place, else wont be that easy freeing spots that are held by candidates once he/she has accepted one.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 03, 2013
greatgod2012: Im in full support of that NECO exam, its just like duplication of WAEC.
But i know some people that were saved by NECO.
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by 4good(m): 2:12pm On Apr 03, 2013
[b]As a graduate of Elect/Eletct. Engineering, an Enterprenuer and a CEO of one of the Organisations Accredited by JAMB for Online UTME registration since it started, I talk authoritatively in support of this plan to scrap JAMB from the following facts:

1.) JAMB does not have enough personnels to undertake the task of conducting Exam for the huge no of candidates
ii.) JAMB does not have adequate facilities to undertake the task of conducting Exam for the huge no of candidates
iii.)It is impossible for JAMB to do a thorough supervision of Exams conducted at too many locations.
iv.) JAMB still hires corrupt Individuals (teachers, letcurers, etc) to conduct exams on its behalf
v.) (iv) above leads to malpractices that is almost becoming the norm in UTME
vi) Candidates do no longer read as they only make sure they go to Exam centres with enough money to give to supervisors
vii) As many as the number of Exam centres so is the no of standards or conditions under which students write exams.

JAMB-UTME is not just in any way effective and can never be effective in conducting credible exams for all nigerian students

The only way out is to scrap UTME and allow the Universities conduct their Entrance Examinations under a SINGLE supervisory agency or body such as JAMB.

I am very sure that when this is done, it will now be a matter of EGO for a Tertiary Institution to allow her Entrance Exam Questions leak. The particular school where instance(s) of leackage(s) is/are found should be brought to book by JAMB and other relevant agencies.

Benefits of scraping UTME

i.) Examinations will definitely be better monitored since exams takes place right their on the schools campuses
ii.) Examinations will definitely be better coordinated since each school will use their own staff to supervise
iii.) Schools can also choose whether to use Essay + Objectives OR the normal OBJ questions for their exams
iv.) Schools can now generate legitimate money from selling Entrance forms
v.) Candidates will be forced to be more serious with their studies
vi) Admission will be easier as a candidate can now write as many Entrance Exams as possible
vii.) Admissions will then be more "BY MERIT"
viii.) When the standard of Entrance Exams and Coordination are raised it will definitely tell on students attitudes in Secondary schools.
ix.) Also as an academician, most lecturers I know would ensure strict compliance in Exam halls during Entance Exams.
x.) This will ensure that the very serious students gain admission which will eventually produce BETTER QUALITY OF GRADUATES FROM OUR TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS.

[/b]

2 Likes

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
I understand the proposals, but i dont know the implications. Will it make admission easier for the poorly connected? Because my mind is telling me something else
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Temisan220(m): 2:16pm On Apr 03, 2013
FG hope the fees of form will not cost
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Venchy: 2:34pm On Apr 03, 2013
DARKY is the most wicked creature among humanity.

This clueless lots Ruined all the good educational system we had, which produce lots of intellectual such Chinue Achibe, Wole Soyinka and many more but now decided to send their families to study abroad, typical Darky style.

I remember as a little boy growing around UNILAG, the memories of having foreign student in the campus as well as SPORT CENTER was the best I could think of not all this wishy washer.

I can bet all my life that the minister for education children never had their first degree in any of the institutions the minister is in charge of.

Crumble Empire right before our leaders eyes.

Shambles leaders without no morals.

Nothing is related to Education but INSTITUTION OF FRAUD.

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 03, 2013
When I read some comments from some people I begin to wonder If they can read or may be they have eye problem so that is why they are not reading clearly
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 03, 2013
eoboluwole: why don't you give the NAPEP to a private body and all others goes that way Oga GEJ smiley
no worry u fit go contest for 2015 elections so u go give napep to a private body,your family and friends vote will count.lol.,
Re: FG Scraps NECO, NAPEP, Cancels UTME & Others by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 03, 2013
When exactly will all these changes take effect? Obviously not this year, but will it be possible next year? Time will tell.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jonathan's Massive Campaign Rally in Onitsha, Anambra (Photos) / Joe Igbokwe Others Make Sanwo-olu's Carbinet List / Buhari Gets Listed On Chatham House Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.