Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,550 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? (3833 Views)

LCD VS LED Which Is Better? / Prices Of Plasma, LCD, LED, 3D And Smart Televisions In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by ziggyton(m): 6:51pm On Apr 02, 2008
I guess there are a lot of LCD HDTVs out there. Is there any guide that can help one get a good one at a good price? Nairalanders, what has been our experience with these LCD HDTVs?
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Ejike3: 7:19pm On Apr 02, 2008
The thing is expensive, that is the reason why many people could not reply.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Neoteny(m): 12:45pm On Apr 03, 2008
except if you are gettin a bluray player/ps3 , xbox360, hddvd,  dvd upscaler  or any other hardware that supports AT LEAST 720p, right now the cost isnt much justified because very few hardware output HD video. normal SD lcds are not as expensive as they once were but if your equipment is analog output-based in some cases you'd much prefer normal tvs.

plasma is better for watchig movies and sports. some lcds (like the cheaper LG and phillips models) streak and blur
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Raymond88(m): 5:08pm On Apr 03, 2008
Ejike3:

The thing is expensive, that is the reason why many people could not reply.

Hahahaha! grin
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Kobojunkie: 7:03pm On Apr 03, 2008
Maybe you all need to stay away from low quality LCDS. I watch All sort of production on My LCDs and have had no problem so far. I think Nigerians should move towards quality instead of accepting the cheap junk offered them over and over. You can get a good 32inch LCD tv for about $450 and when you go bigger, the more you pay but I would personally vote for VIZIO.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by oldie(m): 7:05pm On Apr 03, 2008
LCD is a better option (at least in Nigeria) than plasma
There are no blurs if you use LCD tvs for DSTV
From my own personal experience, Sony LCD is the best, but it is over priced
LG is another good option
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by texazzpete(m): 7:28pm On Apr 03, 2008
@Ejike 3
Not all LCD TVs are THAT expensive anymore

@Kobojunkie
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Vizio LCDs qualify as 'el cheapo' TVs. Samsung, Sony and Sharp are more like it.

@oldie
CRTs will definitely be better from SD signals (like the crap DSTV pumps out) than LCDs.
Don't fall for the Sony Hype machine; Samsung and Sharp TVs are every bit as good. Sharp is the No 1 maker of LCD panels in the world, i think Sony buys from 'em anyway.

Wednesday Guardian usually has some people selling 32 inch TVs for aprox 130k. Samsung, even. Not too shabby.

I myself use a 37 inch Samsung LCD. Works brilliant with Ps3 and Xbox 360

@Neoteny
Dont forget you can also hook up laptops and Desktop computers to HDTVs to get a big picture. . .
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Strat: 7:35pm On Apr 03, 2008
I have a samsumg LCD HDTVs, and its been a beautiful experience, had it for over a year now. Its really nice and has a lot of good features.

I don't know how much it is now but when I wanted to buy mine it was 270,000 for the 37inches, I later got it from the UK Argos for 750 Pounds. (coming to 187,000) after claiming my VAT.

PS
Try and buy a UPS with your LCD.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by oldie(m): 7:59pm On Apr 03, 2008
@ texazzpete
DSTV signals are still the best and cleanest signals we receive here
CRTs are becoming obselete

Monitor is just a small part of a tv set.
Sony still has the best tv signal reception technology in the world
Best selling tv sets are not necessary the best technically

Technically: Sony, Samsung, Sharp, LG
The worst is Phillips (in Nigeria)

@ poster: Whatever tv you want to buy, ensure there are local repair and service centres
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by dee02(m): 10:20pm On Apr 03, 2008
LCDS and PLASMA's are as cheap as gold circle condoms, moi-moi and okpa nowadays

and if your still among the bandwagons of dreamers popping in and out of stores to go and dream about owning one, then dream no more, hit me and i would hook u up with a LCD wider than your mouth!
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by pheena: 12:32am On Apr 04, 2008
LCD is really great
compared to plasma, LCD is better
trust me, speaking from xperience

i have kids and LCD is very durable because it is not glass
my daughter have used dif things to hit it and scratch it but it is neither broken nor
has marks on it. the picture quality is also surperb
i think plasma is getting out of fashion too
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by pheena: 12:37am On Apr 04, 2008
me again
sorry i meant plasma is going out of fashion and not getting out,
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by TopeFl(m): 3:13am On Apr 04, 2008
My 32" Sony Bravia cost me $1400. It has made me addicted to internet browsing.I am itching to get a bigger one.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Kobojunkie: 6:03am On Apr 04, 2008
texazzpete:

@Ejike 3
Not all LCD TVs are THAT expensive anymore

@Kobojunkie
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Vizio LCDs qualify as 'el cheapo' TVs. Samsung, Sony and Sharp are more like it.

@oldie
CRTs will definitely be better from SD signals (like the crap DSTV pumps out) than LCDs.
Don't fall for the Sony Hype machine; Samsung and Sharp TVs are every bit as good. Sharp is the No 1 maker of LCD panels in the world, i think Sony buys from 'em anyway.

Wednesday Guardian usually has some people selling 32 inch TVs for aprox 130k. Samsung, even. Not too shabby.

I myself use a 37 inch Samsung LCD. Works brilliant with Ps3 and Xbox 360

@Neoteny
Dont forget you can also hook up laptops and Desktop computers to HDTVs to get a big picture. . .

It is not about bursting bubbles. Vizios may cost less but so far, they have held up really well in the market. I mean you can read the CNET review for yourself. The Poster asked of LCDs and I am guessing he is not really looking to break the bank and I suggested that VIZIO as a good option ,  http://www.vizio.com/news/detail.aspx?nid=218
This happens to be why WALMART, SAMSCLUB and even COSCO carry the brand. It's really good value for the money . I mean you can even get a 42 Inch VIZIO for about $850 and the quality is great,   http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-vx37l/4505-6482_7-32144189.html

Just cause it is cheap does not mean it is bad. You do not have to spend a fortune to enjoy something good. As long as you buy good quality, you are on the right path. Inexpensive is not synonymous with low quality. Even Sony has it's issues so buying expensive does not mean you get the best quality or that it will never break down but buying good quality should be high consideration.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by dayleke: 6:07am On Apr 04, 2008
Has anybody tried the Sharp "AQUEOUS" brand?
i love it.
the 42 inches makes evrything come alive. grin

1 Like

Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by bluehorizo(m): 6:26am On Apr 04, 2008
The images are sharper and clearer,i enjoy watching my soccer game on it. It makes me feel like i'm watching a LIVE game! How do i connect my laptop to it?
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Frizy(m): 10:19am On Apr 04, 2008
This new technology called High Defintion is just a way the oyinbo man is using to collect more of our money. I have seen movies(HD DVD) played on the so called high-definition TVs(1080i) in many stores but i see no much differences. The sellers told me it was six times clearer than my DVDs on a sony projection screen. All na lie.
Blu-ray, HD-DVD, LCD HDTV. All na story. grin grin
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by texazzpete(m): 8:43pm On Apr 04, 2008
Frizy:

This new technology called High Defintion is just a way the oyinbo man is using to collect more of our money.

You do realize that HDTVs are sold everywhere around the world? What's with the 'oyibo' hate?

Frizy:

I have seen movies(HD DVD) played on the so called high-definition TVs(1080i) in many stores but i see no much differences. The sellers told me it was six times clearer than my DVDs on a sony projection screen. All na lie.

Already HDTVs are outselling CRT Tvs in most western countries. people who've used (and own) HDTVs have posted of their own personal experiences, yet you base your opinions on an in-store demo?

Most in-store demos are Standard Def anyway.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Frizy(m): 9:56pm On Apr 04, 2008
You do realize that HDTVs are sold everywhere around the world? What's with the 'oyibo' hate?
Well it's not like an "Oyinbo hate" the fact that high defintion is everywhere does not mean Africa invented it either. I mean it's a way of sending more money

Already HDTVs are outselling CRT Tvs in most western countries. people who've used (and own) HDTVs have posted of their own personal experiences, yet you base your opinions on an in-store demo?
Well for your information I know of families who own the high-def systems, frankly my satellite pictures are very clear too.
Most in-store demos are Standard Def anyway.
According to the storemen I was told it was running on 1080i; and I saw it on the Tv marked. Please, am not saying there may be no difference but is the difference as obvious as an analog satellite to a digital satellite. Or the black and white to the colored screen? These have extreme differences in terms of picture quality. If you see some standard TVs,with no HD tech playing a DVD video you can't but love its bright quality picture and resolution.Example is using a widescreen with an aspect ratio of 16:9. SONY
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Kobojunkie: 10:04pm On Apr 04, 2008
Frizy:

Well it's not like an "Oyinbo hate" the fact that high defintion is every does not mean Africa invented it either. I mean it's a way of sending more money
Well for your information I know of families who own the high-def systems, frankly my satellite pictures are very clear too.According to the storemen I was told it was running on 1080i; and I saw it on the Tv marked. Please, am not saying there may be no difference but is the difference as obvious as an analog satellite to a digital satellite. Or the black and white to the colored screen? These have extreme differences in terms of picture quality. If you see some standard TVs,with no HD tech playing a DVD videos you can't but love its bright quality picture and resolution.Example is using a widescreen with an aspect ratio of 16:9. SONY

@Frizzy, here is advise for you

1) STEP AWAY from those stores and go to stores that actually sell the real thing. Everyone knows it is clear that HDTV is a big improvement on the only analog. I mean I still have a CRT TV that I use for viewing my cable in one room and I have LCD tv and I can tell you that the quality is definitely not the same for both tvs. I even own two LCD Widescreen monitors for my Internet browsing and I can tell you without a doubt that after switching just late last year from CRT( 21"wink to 19" widescreens, nothing will make me switch back. There is a huge difference.

2) Note that LCD TV that people are speaking of here is not same as the old TV's that came out early 2000's with 50" versions that cover about half of your living room. We are speaking of the new slim TVs that take up practically no space and give you a zoom clearer view. I can tell you that 1080 resolution does give you huge diff when compared to CRTs.

3) Just as digital tv is way different compared to analog, LCDs are an improvement on the old CRTS. I mean it is definitely not for all but it is good investment. People spent hundreds to buy their old TVs anyway. Nothing wrong in spending hundreds more this time around to purchase a new one that works well with the new digital 3.5 cable systems out there.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Frizy(m): 10:12pm On Apr 04, 2008
@kobojunkie
Right, I'll check them out. It seems everything will become HD soon. cheesy
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Kobojunkie: 10:32pm On Apr 04, 2008
Frizy:

@kobojunkie
Right, I'll check them out. It seems everything will become HD soon. cheesy

Yep, Well, over here if you do not have your tv upgraded by february of next year, you might not be able to watch TV at all. Talk about forcing you to upgrade LMAO!!!
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Seun(m): 10:38pm On Apr 04, 2008
I have seen movies(HD DVD) played on the so called high-definition TVs(1080i) in many stores but i see no much differences
I'm pretty sure Nigerian stores don't have HD-DVD players. The difference is clear unless you're blind!
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by dinozzo(m): 11:34pm On Apr 04, 2008
Frizy:

This new technology called High Defintion is just a way the oyinbo man is using to collect more of our money. I have seen movies(HD DVD) played on the so called high-definition TVs(1080i) in many stores but i see no much differences. The sellers told me it was six times clearer than my DVDs on a sony projection screen. All na lie.
there is a whole lot of difference,even when watching a 720p mkv file downloaded from the internet.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by tipsy289(m): 2:36am On Apr 05, 2008
the guy who bought 32inch for $450, unless that tv was used man that is low quality no doubt,its like buying Prima or Westinghouse, long run its risky going with companies like that, Sony is the most expensive so i'll suggest sticking with Sharp Aquos,LG,JVC, u'll know which one is good cool
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by Kobojunkie: 2:50am On Apr 05, 2008
tipsy289:

the guy who bought 32inch for $450, unless that tv was used man that is low quality no doubt,its like buying Prima or Westinghouse, long run its risky going with companies like that, Sony is the most expensive so i'll suggest sticking with Sharp Aquos,LG,JVC, u'll know which one is good cool

Stop assuming that if it is inexpensive, it is low Quality. That is one  of the major issues I have with people on here. I am in Electronics retail and if you look around, you will find a good bargain on electronics without breaking the bank or getting low quality gadgets. By the way, WestingHouse is doing gread in the LCD market. If you turn on ShopNBC or HSN
[url]http://electronics.hsn.com/?o=!TNEC&cm_sp=Global*TN*Electronic&prev=hp&sf=EC&osf=EC[/url], you will see WestingHouse featured from time to time. These powerhouse selling shops would not feature this company for years if they did not get good reviews from their customers on these electronics

It is faulty thinking to assume that these companies do not understand that a bad rating means bad business for them. It is almost like someone declaring that since many people had problems with Apple iPhone last year, means it is best to write apple off completely when it comes to electronics. That is serious faulty thinking and I see that a lot. People deciding cause they read somewhere that so many people had problems with one electronic model means the company as a whole should be boycotted. I continue to see people overpaying cause of this and I wonder when people will get that it does not work that way at all.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by megastu(m): 9:55am On Apr 05, 2008
Deo2 please let me know the LCDS you have. i want a samsung 37 inch LCD
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by VIPICO(m): 10:52pm On Apr 05, 2008
dee02:

LCDS and PLASMA's are as cheap as gold circle condoms, moi-moi and okpa nowadays

and if your still among the bandwagons of dreamers popping in and out of stores to go and dream about owning one, then dream no more, hit me and i would hook u up with a LCD wider than your mouth!

So how do we reach u when u did not include ur addy?
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by SignorZax: 2:18pm On Apr 06, 2008
I think am cool with the LCD stuff.
I use a 17inch Samsung LCD monitor to browse and honestly speaking I have never had any eye problem, unlike when I was using a CRT monitor.
I also use a Samsung 32inch LCD TV in the living room, I tell You I never get tired of watching TV. There is no glare from the screen, unlike the Normal TVs.
One other thing is you don't fall asleep fast in front of an LCD when compared to a CRT TV.

Prices of LCD might be high, but I do think its a realy good buy. If U have the bucks go for it, you won't regret it.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by na2day2(m): 9:41am On Apr 07, 2008
what u should look out for

never bother about the dynamic contrast, pay more attention to the native contrast, a good LCD should be at least 1000:1 natively, plasma go higher. the size of the tv will depend on how much room u can afford but pay close attention on the resolutions. 1080p (1920 x 1200) is your best bet, but that can only be taken advantage of if u have a blu-ray player and u got a blu-ray movie u are playing or u have and HD player with an HD movie playing in it, or u live in Japan where they broadcast in 1080p signal. if you're in the usa, too bad u can't get 1080p on broadcast since the goverment regulation only currently allows 1080i(which really is about 1366 x 768 Panel Resolution). if u have a 720p, it definitely sucks for u. if you're in nigeria, kindly kneel down and say a prayer of forgiveness, then return that TV and stop wasting money and go buy yourself a good old CRT TV for cheap.

moreover, if u play games on your TV, u got a PS3, Xbox 360 elite or via your computer with a video card like the nvidia 8800 GTX card (boy, you're rocking!), response time will be critical, especially if u play online games. u don't want your character to be kill just because your GPU and your screen can not response faster. make sure u have worst case 8ms, 5ms to 2ms is your best option. most newer samsung, sony and sceptre TVs will give u that kind of response. also at least 550 cd/m2 image brightness is required. as per inputs on the tv, its really up to wat u want. i like at least 2 hdmi inputs, maybe a vga, 2 component inputs, i really dont care for s-video but they come in handy while composite is a sorry case for video input unless u have the nitendo wii.

as per the kind of screen. truthfully, there are only about 5 makers of the actual tv screens. most tv screen are either samsung or LG and they have different grades but watever u do, don't get a high gloss screen or u will regret it because of the high glare and reflections especially with bright light.

kai, i don tire, make i go sleep. any more question u can ask and i will answer it 2morrow.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by ziggyton(m): 7:19pm On Apr 07, 2008
I thank everyone that has responded as I am making up my mind slowly. On my own, I have been doing some actual comparisons between Samsung LCDs and LG LCDs - you know, the big names like Sony are really out of range for some of us for now. I think Samsung has a lot of glare while LG is somewhat cool to the eyes. I am no expert, but that is my little observation.
Re: Your Experience With LCD HDTVs? by texazzpete(m): 11:53pm On Apr 07, 2008
ziggyton:

I thank everyone that has responded as I am making up my mind slowly. On my own, I have been doing some actual comparisons between Samsung LCDs and LG LCDs - you know, the big names like Sony are really out of range for some of us for now. I think Samsung has a lot of glare while LG is somewhat cool to the eyes. I am no expert, but that is my little observation.

i dunno why, but i somehow doubt you've looked at all the samsung and LG LCD TVs in the world to come to thatt conclusion.

If you run across an LG and a Samsung of equivalent specs, go for the Samsung.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN Treasure Hunt Game - Robbery? / Video Coverage/Editing, Photography and Sound In Abuja / SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.