Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,310 members, 7,860,760 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:44 PM

Can Polygamy Be Genetic? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Polygamy Be Genetic? (1506 Views)

Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! / Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by Roseey0(f): 8:41am On Apr 04, 2013
Got this friend of mine,lets call him C. C's grandpa had 10 wives,C's father presently has five(5) wives with abt 5 other children frm different women who arent among d 5 wives o. His brothers frm his mum's side have atleast 2 wives to their care,even his immediate elder bro that is just 32yrs has 3 wives already. C is scared he might end up with many wives too cos he likes women. Could this be nature or can C be different.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 04, 2013
C can be himself and live his life differently since he is against it from the beginning, it is a matter of choice it is not possible for all the children to have the same traits with the father even if it is genetic some must be different. There are some other reasons linked with polygamy, some is believe, sexual satisfaction, more reproduction in case of the only surviving male child of the family, some are marriage mistakes,when someone marries wrongly he may tends to correct it latter which leads to polygamy, gender preferences, when he desperately looking for a male or female child. The guy should identify d problem an rectify it in his own time with strong determination.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by greatgod2012(f): 2:37am On Apr 05, 2013
Never!
It cant be genetic, its a choice.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by Roland17(m): 2:45am On Apr 05, 2013
Its a matter of choice largely influenced by environment and beliefs.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by baby124: 2:47am On Apr 05, 2013
Well, he really has to be strongly against it. You have already highlighted the fact that he likes women a lot. He may not engage in the many wives part, but most likely to have the many concubines and children out of wedlock part. Also, everyone around him has more than one wife. He obviously doesn't have good nuclear family role models. If you vex him too much one day, concubine fit turn wife o. Depends on whose mouth he turns to in time of trouble. To marry from this kind of family and expect nuclear type of marriage, the person must be very disciplined and sure of themselves. We are all to a large extent influenced by our environment.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by Mynd44: 5:24am On Apr 05, 2013
No it is not genetic but the mentality has been embeded in his family members and I dare say it might even be a yardstick to measure how much of a "Man" he is in his family. Since a lot of males do it, they would advice him to, they might even pressure him and say that is tradition but it is not genetic.

In the end he is his own man and can make his choices
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by Roseey0(f): 9:55am On Apr 05, 2013
i see, i just hope he makes up his mind to discipline himself. Thanks for the comments.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by andyanders: 9:29pm On Oct 31, 2013
Roseey0: Got this friend of mine,lets call him C. C's grandpa had 10 wives,C's father presently has five(5) wives with abt 5 other children frm different women who arent among d 5 wives o. His brothers frm his mum's side have atleast 2 wives to their care,even his immediate elder bro that is just 32yrs has 3 wives already. C is scared he might end up with many wives too cos he likes women. Could this be nature or can C be different.

Listen, it is a genetic or what I will say, a generational curse and he himself will end up marring more than one wife even when he doesn't want it. It is a curse and please do not even go into any marriage with an individual like C as you must be ready to have others ladies come in as wife.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by TV01(m): 9:36pm On Oct 31, 2013
No!

It can be culturally and ideologically embedded, but it is not genetically predetermined.

A renewed mind in Christ will sort it pronto - this one no reach spirit level sef!

TV
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by Kanwulia: 10:38pm On Oct 31, 2013
Very genetic.
If your momma was a in polygamous HAREM, you are less likely to develop the necessary self-esteem to GET YOUR OWN MAN! kiss
If you grew up seeing your father swing from totototototo, you have the genetic disposition to do just that!

Look around you! kiss
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by tpia5: 11:13pm On Oct 31, 2013
Without Christ, it is very difficult to go against a family trait.

Unfortunately.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by soulglo: 11:17pm On Oct 31, 2013
Roseey0: Got this friend of mine,lets call him C. C's grandpa had 10 wives,C's father presently has five(5) wives with abt 5 other children frm different women who arent among d 5 wives o. His brothers frm his mum's side have atleast 2 wives to their care,even his immediate elder bro that is just 32yrs has 3 wives already. C is scared he might end up with many wives too cos he likes women. Could this be nature or can C be different.

It's not nature it is nurture. That is what they were raised to see as normal so it takes less for them to jump into it.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by tpia5: 2:03am On Nov 01, 2013
it takes less for them to jump into it.

ie its more natural for them to jump into it.

NOT jumping into it, is what for them, would be unnatural, hence my previous post.

i think most africans have this quandary.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by Nobody: 3:59am On Nov 01, 2013
NO.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by Nobody: 6:10am On Nov 01, 2013
Its more cultural and religious than genetic and these two gears it towards being genetic. Do ur research
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by tbaba1234: 6:50am On Nov 01, 2013
andyanders:

Listen, it is a genetic or what I will say, a generational curse and he himself will end up marring more than one wife even when he doesn't want it. It is a curse and please do not even go into any marriage with an individual like C as you must be ready to have others ladies come in as wife.

grin curse

Abeg o!!
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by tbaba1234: 6:56am On Nov 01, 2013
Genetic? No.

It seems clear to me that the father was influenced by his own father. The environment is the stronger factor here.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by tpia5: 3:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
if its not genetic then why is it endemic in africa.

that should show its not always something the man can control, especially if he's without Christ.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by EfemenaXY: 7:56pm On Nov 01, 2013

No, polygamy isn't genetic, but rather is an acquired behavioural trait.

Mr C's family leave and breathe Poloygamy, so to him, it'll seem normal to live like that.
Re: Can Polygamy Be Genetic? by tpia6: 8:33am On Nov 29, 2014
tpia5:
Without Christ, it is very difficult to go against a family trait.

Unfortunately.

(1) (Reply)

Today Is My Birthday / Why Being The First Issue In A Family Is A Heavy Load / Black People(bantus)-hebrew Israelites,inter-racial Marriage Is Not Good -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.