Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,920 members, 7,817,696 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market - Fashion/Clothing Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Fashion/Clothing Market / Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market (981 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 05, 2013
In Nigeria, a growing number of men and women are using skin whitening creams because they believe a fairer complexion will help them succeed in life. According to the World Health Organisation, more than 70 percent of Nigerian women admit they use such products -- despite the health hazards. That compares with 59 percent in Togo, and 27 in Senegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=illl92AMxTA&feature=player_embedded
According to the reporter, 8 out of 10 Nigerian women bleach or 'tone' their skin shocked
Re: Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 05, 2013
CFCfan: In Nigeria, a growing number of men and women are using skin whitening creams because they believe a fairer complexion will help them succeed in life. According to the World Health Organisation, more than 70 percent of Nigerian women admit they use such products -- despite the health hazards. That compares with 59 percent in Togo, and 27 in Senegal.
According to the reporter, 8 out of 10 Nigerian women bleach or 'tone' their skin shocked
@bolded That is just plain stupidity and ignorance.
8/10 That's is very high ! I don't think it's true though. Has the reporter gone to every state in Nigeria and counted all the women who tone and bleach ? The reporter should go and sit down abeg.
Re: Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by honeric01(m): 11:41pm On Apr 05, 2013
chai, inferiority complex of the highest order.
Re: Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by vivianc(f): 10:56pm On Apr 07, 2013
I don't think most people use skin whitening cream because of 'inferiority" issue whatsoever. The truth is having an even out complexion is part of taking care of oneself and there are plenty fake made in Nigeria products, the extremely hot sun is not even helping matters, hence the high rate of uneven complexion.

Another thing is most of these people are not exposed and properly informed about the act of taking care of their skin, knowing the right products to use, the right diet to be on, good beauty tips and all. So they believe the whitening lotions are the best.

Then finaly, they should shut up, Nigeria has a big population so its normal for it to be a bigger market for most consumer goods. They are also blowing this out of proportion as if once u use the whitening cream on ur skin, u will become fair. That's a huge lie biko, unless a lady outrightly bleaches by adding some steroids to the so called whitening lotion, that's when it will make u fair magically. A lot of these so called whitening products are rip offs!

I prefer good moisturizer any day anytime provided its not fake.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by Osyxcel(m): 11:51pm On Apr 07, 2013
adaobi123:
@bolded That is just plain stupidity and ignorance.
8/10 That's is very high ! I don't think it's true though. Has the reporter gone to every state in Nigeria and counted all the women who tone and bleach ? The reporter should go and sit down abeg.

Seconded!
Re: Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by Inik(m): 12:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
vivian chinaza: I don't think most people use skin whitening cream because of 'inferiority" issue whatsoever. The truth is having an even out complexion is part of taking care of oneself and there are plenty fake made in Nigeria products, the extremely hot sun is not even helping matters, hence the high rate of uneven complexion.

Another thing is most of these people are not exposed and properly informed about the act of taking care of their skin, knowing the right products to use, the right diet to be on, good beauty tips and all. So they believe the whitening lotions are the best.

Then finaly, they should shut up, Nigeria has a big population so its normal for it to be a bigger market for most consumer goods. They are also blowing this out of proportion as if once u use the whitening cream on ur skin, u will become fair. That's a huge lie biko, unless a lady outrightly bleaches by adding some steroids to the so called whitening lotion, that's when it will make u fair magically. A lot of these so called whitening products are rip offs!

I prefer good moisturizer any day anytime provided its not fake.
I am with you on this one
Re: Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by Afam4eva(m): 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2013
Majority of Nigerians tone and not bleach their skin. Though the number of disciples of Alao Akala is quite alarming.
Re: Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by Nobody: 7:06am On Apr 12, 2013
I weep for naija.
Self hate is a biatch

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Booming Skin Bleaching Market by Khin: 1:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva: Majority of Nigerians tone and not bleach their skin. Though the number of disciples of Alao Akala is quite alarming.
Whats the difference , Self hate is a biatch

(1) (Reply)

8GB Spy Camera Watch 720*480 Waterproof Leather Wrist Watch Style Mini Camcorder / Aztec & Denim / Laundry Dry Cleaning Fashion And Clothing Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.